PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody performed/ checked into a slicktop conversion?

JB3
05-17-2015, 05:49 AM

terraphantm
05-17-2015, 06:38 AM
A lot of M3 guys have done it when converting to carbon roofs. It's pretty labor intensive, but not 50 hours as far as I'm aware. Adding a metal roof is probably a little more work than the carbon though

TWong1200
05-17-2015, 07:57 AM
Wow...that's just crazy. Do you track your car often? Or is it mostly street-driven?

JB3
05-17-2015, 08:20 AM

TWong1200
05-17-2015, 09:01 AM
If mine quit working (as in not opening), I'd just leave it, personally. Especially since I never use it. But I get what you're saying. :)

cakM3
05-17-2015, 10:28 AM
I want to do this sometime for my ///M but maintenance has to, and does, take priority over any mods that I do to my cars. Eventually when everything is good to go maintenance-wise, I will look into doing the slicktop mod to my ///M by installing the Challenge 1x1 carbon fiber roof panel. :)

derbo
05-17-2015, 10:36 AM
This may be out of the question, but why not get a sunroof delete kit and then fill it in, repaint and get a slicktop headliner?

BADCLOWN
05-17-2015, 10:53 AM
They do make a carbon fiber slick top for our cars.............

just sayin'

cakM3
05-17-2015, 11:08 AM
This may be out of the question, but why not get a sunroof delete kit and then fill it in, repaint and get a slicktop headliner?

You can do this and for some this is plenty good enough Derek. :thumbsup

derbo
05-17-2015, 11:41 AM
oh btw, that is one of my favorite street/autox builds :)

JB3
05-17-2015, 11:55 AM

derbo
05-17-2015, 11:59 AM
To answer the why not?:
It's a point of failure - moisture, filler cracking, leaks.
For some it is not "done right". I don't think it would follow the roof line perfectly enough to function as a truly invisible patch panel.
I've always thought of this as a simple body repair, until I read the part I linked in the OP.
I'm not sure that the mounting for the delete plate is shallow enough to allow the slicktop headliner to fit normally. That mounting lip is not there on a slicktop roof skin (but there is an extra brace soooo... who knows)
Skinning a roof is relatively inexpensive IMO.

I've searched and have not seen one. Personally I would be interested in this so if you can link me I'd like to check it out.

True! Personally I don't like the idea of RTV-or-similar sealing the roof of my car, for the reasons above. It has been my experience that things that are sealed need to be re-sealed every so often, can't imagine putting up with that for my car. :)

I figured you researched it extensively and I figured that's why you didn't want to do that route. It definitely doesn't seem to be a 50hr job but then again this was years ago. Hopefully you can find a cf roof. Sealing it with bonding glue seems easier than welding spot points a metal skin.

Sent from iPad Mini

BADCLOWN
05-17-2015, 12:18 PM
I'll dig the link up later, I believe cakm3 sent it to me actually

derbo
05-17-2015, 12:33 PM
I'll dig the link up later, I believe cakm3 sent it to me actually

The company is called Challenge. I'm not sure they made a sedan version but they do have 1x1 weave. :drool

cakM3
05-17-2015, 12:45 PM
There is a company in Spain that made carbon fiber roof panels for E46 sedans but that was many years ago...

Edit: Karbonius sells Carbon fiber roof panels for sedans. This panel is a sunroof delete panel. It's an overlay...

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5332/17173517943_a7deb94c14_b.jpg

Here's the link: http://www.karbonius.es/web_ing/productos/autos/base_bmw.html (http://www.karbonius.es/web_ing/productos/autos/base_bmw.html)

terraphantm
05-17-2015, 02:33 PM
If you could find 10 people or so who are willing to put down a deposit, Challenge would probably be willing to make a sedan roof. I hope to buy their coupe roof at some point

cakM3
05-17-2015, 02:40 PM
If you could find 10 people or so who are willing to put down a deposit, Challenge would probably be willing to make a sedan roof. I hope to buy their coupe roof at some point

The quality of the Challenge carbon fiber roof panel is superb Mirza :thumbsup It is art :)

sillieidiot
05-17-2015, 04:30 PM
Technically I've done this, though not a DIY. Since you have a sedan, you don't have to worry about the middle brace because it's already there. With the cassette gone, you can definitely put the non-sunroof headliner in as that was what was taking up all the space. It didn't take them that long because they were gluing my CF roof in. When you replace it with another steel skin, now you have to go back and weld everything back on and grind it down flush. The only really costly part (well other than the headliner) is that the windshields have a high chance of breaking when removed. So be prepared for new ones if it does in fact break. Luckily mines were fine.

there's enough room between the headliner and the roof. in fact, even my non-sunroof headliner has like a 1" space or so from the roof. And I have the one that gives even more headroom vs. the standard one (basically I have the headliner that goes around the brace). The opening on the sunroof only goes down like 1/2" or so I believe. I don't remember exactly, but I do have the roof skin lying around somewhere in my backyard lol

honestly, if you were just going to keep it steel. i would just weld the opening. then just replace the headliner to get more roof. that would be the cheapest as well as the fastest option IMO.

JB3
05-17-2015, 04:46 PM

Hermes
05-17-2015, 06:56 PM
I almost did it... but then I just bought another ZHP without a sunroof

sillieidiot
05-17-2015, 10:51 PM
There are a few shops in Charlotte that one-off carbon fiber panels or do small runs. There are a lot of pro racing outfits around there so that was my first thought for carbon.

Thanks for chiming in, this is helpful! All the write-ups I saw were for a coupe, so I didn't know the Sedan already had the brace. The write-ups also say that the roof skin is so thin that it warps, but I actually know a couple of really good body guys that don't have any trouble with patch panels. Plus no glass removal, I think this idea is a winner. I might be able to get this done for less than 1K painted. If so, this may be coming sooner rather than later.

lol i reread my post and noticed i said more roof instead of more room. but yeah the brace that we put in our coupes is actually a sedan part. most people don't know this though.

but yeah, the roof skin is thin, but it's not like it's really thin. it's about as thin as my stock fenders are. it's just that since it's a really large surface area, it feels weaker than any other part. at least off the car anyways. when it's on the car, it feels sturdy. my bodyshop was able to take the whole skin off without destroying it (there is a dent, but that was from me lol) like how all the other DIYs say would happen. i swear all the other shops or people that DIYed it got lazy and tried to rip it off too early and end up destroying it.

i'm sure you could get it done for less than 1k no problem. offer to take the headliner off yourself, so you could save even more money.

johnrando
05-18-2015, 05:43 PM
Hadn't read all the input but I've seen Hieu's and it looks awesome.

Sent from mobile

jorbon
05-25-2015, 04:20 PM
I did mine the old-fashioned way... Sold the 05 silbergrau with moonroof and bought the 03 titaniumsilver slicktop a few years later. Do regret the vert sale between the two...