PDA

View Full Version : 11 seconds to 60 MPH ? Clutch or different issue ?

feytr
04-02-2015, 06:53 PM
Hi my friends,

I really need your help, I have no idea what happened but today in 11 seconds i could reach to 60 MPH (I was pushing the gas pedal all the way down) I uploaded video on Youtube and you can see 1st to 3rd gear acceleration and 0:48 only 3rd gear acceleration, I think it cause clutch but I am not sure.

Please help :(

link;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0hOvXmLF1I

wsmeyer
04-02-2015, 07:31 PM
It says the video is private

danewilson77
04-02-2015, 07:32 PM
Make it public jomey.

The friendliest forum on the planet.

wsmeyer
04-02-2015, 07:33 PM
Clutch problem should be obvious as the rpm"s would jump as the clutch slips

feytr
04-02-2015, 07:42 PM
I am sorry guys i just saw it im gonna fix it...

feytr
04-02-2015, 07:45 PM
Allright I think its public right now... Thank you.

feytr
04-02-2015, 07:58 PM
btw I'm sorry for my English :/

wsmeyer
04-02-2015, 08:23 PM
It's definitely not your clutch.

feytr
04-02-2015, 08:27 PM
It's definitely not your clutch.

oohhh thank god, what do you think it can cause ? CCV ?

wsmeyer
04-02-2015, 08:31 PM
Watched it again and I'm not sure there's anything wrong with your car. It seems to be pulling strongly throughout the rpm range. ZHP's aren't particularly fast, and the stated 0-60 time of around 7 sec? is done by launching the car at prob 4-5k rpm and shifting a lot faster.

tristero
04-02-2015, 08:42 PM
Car and driver said 5.6 seconds?
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/bmw-330i-with-performance-package-road-test

I've never clocked better than 7, but my shift-bushings are clunky, and I'm not particularly skilled. (and I drive a convertible).

feytr
04-02-2015, 08:48 PM
Watched it again and I'm not sure there's anything wrong with your car. It seems to be pulling strongly throughout the rpm range. ZHP's aren't particularly fast, and the stated 0-60 time of around 7 sec? is done by launching the car at prob 4-5k rpm and shifting a lot faster.

I believe factory 6.1 0-60 but mine is 10-11 sec. I mean it feels different idk maybe I am exaggerating idk :/

feytr
04-02-2015, 08:50 PM
Car and driver said 5.6 seconds?
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/bmw-330i-with-performance-package-road-test

I've never clocked better than 7, but my shift-bushings are clunky, and I'm not particularly skilled. (and I drive a convertible).

I've done under 7 I think it was 6.8 thats why I'm confused tho

Hermes
04-02-2015, 09:03 PM
Tricks are required to get 5.7, but honestly don't worry about it. BMW's are not designed as drag cars so it's pointless to try to act like one without a significant modifications

feytr
04-02-2015, 09:08 PM
Tricks are required to get 5.7, but honestly don't worry about it. BMW's are not designed as drag cars so it's pointless to try to act like one without a significant modifications

I know but it makes me like it needs to fix something idk, i know my car needs to replace CCV and needs ICV clean/replace, Do you think these things can cause it ?

Hermes
04-02-2015, 09:13 PM
What tires do you have?

feytr
04-02-2015, 09:16 PM
What tires do you have?

I have good year eagle gt my friend.

feytr
04-02-2015, 09:19 PM
I found something about "throttle reset" tho, if i reset throttle ?

Hermes
04-02-2015, 09:38 PM
I have good year eagle gt my friend.

All seasons (aka no seasons) are not performance tires, you need better rubber

feytr
04-02-2015, 09:46 PM

I definitely agree with you I'm not happy with goodyear at all, also handling is not good enough... I got them few months ago tho, I will change when they are gone, you know money :) but it was better than before even with goodyears tho :/

terraphantm
04-03-2015, 05:27 AM
I've gotten it as low as 5.9s when I had a ZHP. Never was able to match car and driver's 5.6, but they do really aggressive launches. It's been a while since I drove a ZHP, but the car in that video seems unusually slow. My friend's 525iT seems about as fast.

Looking at the video, it looks like the lower RPMs in first gear are climbing pretty slowly. Seems okay after that

That's not going to help his 0-60 if he's not coming close to breaking traction right now. Even on winter tires I was able to pull off 6.5s in the ZHP

az3579
04-03-2015, 06:13 AM

What Terra said below...

That's not going to help his 0-60 if he's not coming close to breaking traction right now. Even on winter tires I was able to pull off 6.5s in the ZHP

There is most definitely something wrong with your car, OP. That first gear acceleration is sluggish as hell. First gear acceleration in my car is nearly neck snapping, and mine has 217k on the clock...
I've clocked 6.5 seconds 0-60 in my car as a point of reference.

Does your car run strangely when idling? Any stuttering at any time, even under light load?

If I had to take a guess, perhaps your throttle body plate isn't opening all the way, or your throttle pedal potentiometer isn't working properly (not detecting full throttle properly). I'd start with the throttle pedal potentiometer. I could rule this out for you by hooking up my computer to your car and checking to see how open the throttle position is when your foot is all the way down. You're only about 4-5 hours from me.

danewilson77
04-03-2015, 06:22 AM
Check for stored codes.

Clear adaptations.

See if car runs better.

"No flamesuit required"

feytr
04-03-2015, 10:08 AM
I've gotten it as low as 5.9s when I had a ZHP. Never was able to match car and driver's 5.6, but they do really aggressive launches. It's been a while since I drove a ZHP, but the car in that video seems unusually slow. My friend's 525iT seems about as fast.

Looking at the video, it looks like the lower RPMs in first gear are climbing pretty slowly. Seems okay after that

Mine as well I've seen my car better acceleration tho but i dont know

What Terra said below...

There is most definitely something wrong with your car, OP. That first gear acceleration is sluggish as hell. First gear acceleration in my car is nearly neck snapping, and mine has 217k on the clock...
I've clocked 6.5 seconds 0-60 in my car as a point of reference.

Does your car run strangely when idling? Any stuttering at any time, even under light load?

If I had to take a guess, perhaps your throttle body plate isn't opening all the way, or your throttle pedal potentiometer isn't working properly (not detecting full throttle properly). I'd start with the throttle pedal potentiometer. I could rule this out for you by hooking up my computer to your car and checking to see how open the throttle position is when your foot is all the way down. You're only about 4-5 hours from me.

My car starts normal and there is no shake or works under 700rpm, engine works around 700 rpm tho, what about this Sunday if its ok for you probably I can come to you. Thank you very much tho

feytr
04-03-2015, 10:10 AM
Check for stored codes.

Clear adaptations.

See if car runs better.

"No flamesuit required"

I do have BMW scanner if I use that which section should I look at ?

az3579
04-03-2015, 01:01 PM
My car starts normal and there is no shake or works under 700rpm, engine works around 700 rpm tho, what about this Sunday if its ok for you probably I can come to you. Thank you very much tho

If you can come that would be best. That way I wouldn't have to ask for gas and tolls (since I'm unemployed). Send me a PM if you want to meet up Sunday and we'll work out the details.

feytr
04-03-2015, 01:20 PM
<br />
My car starts normal and there is no shake or works under 700rpm, engine works around 700 rpm tho, what about this Sunday if its ok for you probably I can come to you. Thank you very much tho<br />
<br />
If you can come that would be best. That way I wouldn't have to ask for gas and tolls (since I'm unemployed). Send me a PM if you want to meet up Sunday and we'll work out the details.<br/>

Sure my friend thank you very much

az3579
04-04-2015, 04:44 PM
<br />
My car starts normal and there is no shake or works under 700rpm, engine works around 700 rpm tho, what about this Sunday if its ok for you probably I can come to you. Thank you very much tho<br />
<br />
If you can come that would be best. That way I wouldn't have to ask for gas and tolls (since I'm unemployed). Send me a PM if you want to meet up Sunday and we'll work out the details.<br/>

Sure my friend thank you very much

If you can figure out how to get the gas pedal out so we could get to the potentiometer, then we can swap from my car to test with on yours to see if it fixes the problem. I tried to get the pedal out before but couldn't figure it out so I gave up.

Hopefully I'll see you tomorrow.

Johal E32
04-04-2015, 05:44 PM
couldn't vanos seals decrease performance too?..

az3579
04-04-2015, 05:50 PM
couldn't vanos seals decrease performance too?..

Not THAT much...
This is an extremely significant performance loss. I would guess VANOS seals to make MAYBE 1 second difference, and that's pushing it.

brettbimmer
04-04-2015, 06:31 PM
<br />

If you can figure out how to get the gas pedal out so we could get to the potentiometer, then we can swap from my car to test with on yours to see if it fixes the problem. I tried to get the pedal out before but couldn't figure it out so I gave up.

Hopefully I'll see you tomorrow.

BP, did you notice that the RPMs climb rapidly after 6K in first gear?

I pulled the pedal in my car over the winter for a PedalBox install, but the photos are in another computer. If you need them, let me know.

feytr, are you running good quality 93 octane fuel? Any idea on the age of the canister fuel filter underneath of the car? How about age(mileage)/weight of engine oil? Also, any idea on the age of the spark plugs, and also if they are the proper plug for the M54? I'm just trying to help rule out the basics here and wanted to be sure that I/we understood your note at 700RPM - is the engine laboring at all at that speed?

az3579
04-04-2015, 06:35 PM

You know I didn't notice that, so I looked at the video again and found that it's actually picking up after 6k in 1st gear, then 2nd gear is completely normal acceleration throughout the rev range...

It would be interesting to see if this is still the case. OP, try to accelerate again from a standstill, revving out 1st gear and 2nd gear and see if the results are the same. We're looking for sluggish acceleration only in 1st gear, up to 6k RPM, and normal acceleration after that and into and all the way through 2nd gear.

Then try to do an acceleration from like maybe 2k RPM in 2nd gear all the way to redline and see if the result is any different as far as how hard it pulls.

feytr
04-04-2015, 07:31 PM
You know I didn't notice that, so I looked at the video again and found that it's actually picking up after 6k in 1st gear, then 2nd gear is completely normal acceleration throughout the rev range...

It would be interesting to see if this is still the case. OP, try to accelerate again from a standstill, revving out 1st gear and 2nd gear and see if the results are the same. We're looking for sluggish acceleration only in 1st gear, up to 6k RPM, and normal acceleration after that and into and all the way through 2nd gear.

Then try to do an acceleration from like maybe 2k RPM in 2nd gear all the way to redline and see if the result is any different as far as how hard it pulls.

I just saw your comments tho and I already PM to you and hopefully we can try together :)

I pulled the pedal in my car over the winter for a PedalBox install, but the photos are in another computer. If you need them, let me know.

feytr, are you running good quality 93 octane fuel? Any idea on the age of the canister fuel filter underneath of the car? How about age(mileage)/weight of engine oil? Also, any idea on the age of the spark plugs, and also if they are the proper plug for the M54? I'm just trying to help rule out the basics here and wanted to be sure that I/we understood your note at 700RPM - is the engine laboring at all at that speed?

Really good catch my friend even i didnt :) I never used under 93 with shell, i have no idea about how old fuel filter it is, but for spark plug I was going to change in 2 weeks cuz i am really busy with my work tho just because of easter I could meet up with az3579. Thank you very very much your help tho, I've not driven my car after this issue tho :/

terraphantm
04-04-2015, 08:43 PM
One of the vanos solenoids maybe? I can imagine performance being that bad if the intake came is stuck in the advanced state or something. The way it picks up at the higher revs makes it seem like the cam timing got fixed

feytr
04-04-2015, 08:45 PM
weird sound, I just record video and when i push the gas this weird sound comes, my car didnt have this sound before at all :/

here is the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGQZKahzQtI

feytr
04-04-2015, 08:58 PM
One of the vanos solenoids maybe? I can imagine performance being that bad if the intake came is stuck in the advanced state or something. The way it picks up at the higher revs makes it seem like the cam timing got fixed

BTW I really afraid of VANOS

danewilson77
04-05-2015, 04:58 AM
BTW I really afraid of VANOS
No

"No flamesuit required"

az3579
04-05-2015, 05:11 AM
We'll find out if the car is saying anything when we hook it up to the computer.

derbo
04-05-2015, 09:45 AM
Dying to see whats going on. Keep us posted BP :)

az3579
04-05-2015, 01:40 PM
After talking about it, we decided not to meet up today. He scanned the car with his PA Soft and the only errors that came up are the following:

AHL module:
Present: Telegram Speed invalid
Not Present: Telegram yaw rate invalid
Not present: Telegram steering angle invalid
Not present: Telegram Terminal status, timeout or invalid

Since the AHL module is the Adaptive Headlight module, those errors are probably completely irrelevant to the problem he is having.
I recommended he gets the car properly diagnosed at a local shop instead of him wasting his time driving up here to swap a part that appears to work fine in 2nd gear.

Thanks for bringing up the normal acceleration above 6k, Brettski; without that, I wouldn't have looked at the video again and seen that it accelerates fine in 2nd gear, which rules out the potentiometer. You saved him a long trip. :)

feytr
04-05-2015, 07:28 PM
After talking about it, we decided not to meet up today. He scanned the car with his PA Soft and the only errors that came up are the following:

AHL module:

Since the AHL module is the Adaptive Headlight module, those errors are probably completely irrelevant to the problem he is having.
I recommended he gets the car properly diagnosed at a local shop instead of him wasting his time driving up here to swap a part that appears to work fine in 2nd gear.

Thanks for bringing up the normal acceleration above 6k, Brettski; without that, I wouldn't have looked at the video again and seen that it accelerates fine in 2nd gear, which rules out the potentiometer. You saved him a long trip. :)
Yes absolutely he saved :) by the way, weird thing happened today I tried again full throttle and car reached 60 mph around 8/8.5 seconds I really don't know what's going on but I think I have to focus on coils and spark plugs idk, I'll try to change my coils and spark plugs ASAP. I need to replace CPS o-ring and CCV also, do you think that I need to replace also CPS or just cleaned it up and reinstall it cuz I've not seen any code for CPS.

BTW thank you very much to everyone especially to az3579 he was really helpful today and he was keepin touch when I asked questions.

Greatest forum ever with great people. [emoji106]

brettbimmer
04-06-2015, 04:07 PM

AHL module:

Yes absolutely he saved :) by the way, weird thing happened today I tried again full throttle and car reached 60 mph around 8/8.5 seconds I really don't know what's going on but I think I have to focus on coils and spark plugs idk, I'll try to change my coils and spark plugs ASAP. I need to replace CPS o-ring and CCV also, do you think that I need to replace also CPS or just cleaned it up and reinstall it cuz I've not seen any code for CPS.

BTW thank you very much to everyone especially to az3579 he was really helpful today and he was keepin touch when I asked questions.

Greatest forum ever with great people. [emoji106]
Good to hear Gents. Hope that it's something simple.

feytr
04-06-2015, 04:30 PM
Yeah I hope so, I'll change spark plugs and coils then I'll see what will happen if it's gonna be still same I'll take it to the shop.

az3579
04-06-2015, 04:38 PM
Yeah I hope so, I'll change spark plugs and coils then I'll see what will happen if it's gonna be still same I'll take it to the shop.

I'd recommend you go to a shop first to get a proper diagnosis before you replace anything. Your coils and plugs could possibly be fine, and save money if they are ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

feytr
04-06-2015, 05:24 PM
I'd recommend you go to a shop first to get a proper diagnosis before you replace anything. Your coils and plugs could possibly be fine, and save money if they are ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're right actually, I could take it to the shop next week Wednesday then I can post what's going on

BTW what is the best diagnosis program ?

feytr
04-08-2015, 11:09 AM
Alright guys I think my car is getting better, today I tried again and it reached to 60 6.1 seconds much much better but still I don't know what was wrong with it.