PDA

View Full Version : BMWP strut bar question: damage refinish

BADCLOWN
03-08-2015, 02:12 PM
I might be able to purchase this ($500 shipped) but im not happy with the strut tower areas of the bar and the damage they have sustained. Guys who have this bar: do you think the pictured areas can be sanded out/made to look better or near normal again? The bar also has, according to the seller, one nick in the carbon fiber which is tough to see in the photos, seller says its just the clear coat but it looks unappealing.

When i worked at audi, some of the machined finishes on a few of their OE wheels were hard to replicate when repairing a wheel, was wondering if thats the case with the finish on these strut bars.

Wondering your thoughts if its worth the purchase (pending a refinish is possible) or if i should hold out until another comes along.

http://postimg.org/gallery/1t1td4nwk/
http://postimg.org/image/48ug9pz8l/

Vas
03-08-2015, 02:43 PM
Depending on the price. But if it was me I would sand down the aluminum and polish it.

BADCLOWN
03-08-2015, 02:43 PM
I edited post with price: $500

Vas
03-08-2015, 03:01 PM
Are you getting it basically because of engine bay bling? If that is the case and the defects bug you, IMO pass on it.

BADCLOWN
03-08-2015, 03:31 PM
i plan on purchasing rear strut bar as well, in total trying to stiffen up the car. plus the fact that it looks nice doesnt hurt.

Vas
03-08-2015, 03:42 PM
If I was going to buy a bar, personally it would be the factory m3 bar or the mason engineering front and rear bars.

johnrando
03-08-2015, 04:06 PM
Hmmm, tough one. Charlie might know if that could clean up. It's certainly discounted as I know they can sell for $600.

Sent from mobile

cakM3
03-08-2015, 04:23 PM
$400 maybe I would buy and then attempt to recondition the bar. Not sure if you could sand this down and refinish the entire carbon fiber surface as I have never done this before. I don't think you can just do spots and expect the finish to come out perfect.

If paying $500 or more I would pass on this and wait for a better example like the one I recently sold....are you doing this purely for cosmetics (getting the BMW Performance carbon fiber strut bar) or performance reason? If you're looking for more a performance related reason then getting an OEM M3 strut bar would be better in my opinion. Cheaper as well..

danewilson77
03-08-2015, 04:29 PM
i plan on purchasing rear strut bar as well, in total trying to stiffen up the car.

Not the strut bar for you then.

"No flamesuit required"

poke08
03-08-2015, 09:00 PM
I'm running the Dinan bar and I love it. Definitely noticed a difference after I installed it.