PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk wheels.. M parallels..

09mageec
03-07-2015, 08:55 PM
So last summer I very luckily came across the opportunity to grab a set of genuine m parallels off an e39 540i sport wagon, my uncles actually. Best part is, he gave them to me for free! Still cant believe it.

Now although these wheels are gorgeous and amongst some of my favorite wheels BMW has produced, these wheels were not made to fit our cars. The wheel hub in the back is too small for the wheel itself, and the hub in the front is too big... I guess e39's have a few millimeters bigger hubs up front than they do in the rear or something.

I love these wheels and want to give them a shot, but it looks like i'll be having to do some inconvenient mods to get them to work. Anyone have an idea or know the extent of what needs to be done?

Also, the offset is so aggressive that I fear lots of camber and a bit of tire stretching would be needed, and i'm not too big a fan of that stuff. I like meat on my wheels.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Hermes
03-07-2015, 09:06 PM
You need hub adapters and lots of rolling. E38 wheels at least have the right hub size but are still extremely aggressive

fantinno
03-07-2015, 10:04 PM
MPars are tight, look so good!

It's going to take some pretty major rolling to make that work. I was sitting at ET42 on my 10" rears and it was barely doable with a pretty severe amount of rolling. You'll be sitting another 6ish millimeters further out with 9" rears at ET24. May even need to pull the fenders if you want to stuff those under the fenders and not rub on every bump or corner.

As far as I know, the centerbore should be 74mm front and rear for an E39... our and most other are 72.5mm, so a set of hubcentric rings is all you should need to fix that.

09mageec
03-08-2015, 05:56 AM
You need hub adapters and lots of rolling. E38 wheels at least have the right hub size but are still extremely aggressive

MPars are tight, look so good!

It's going to take some pretty major rolling to make that work. I was sitting at ET42 on my 10" rears and it was barely doable with a pretty severe amount of rolling. You'll be sitting another 6ish millimeters further out with 9" rears at ET24. May even need to pull the fenders if you want to stuff those under the fenders and not rub on every bump or corner.

As far as I know, the centerbore should be 74mm front and rear for an E39... our and most other are 72.5mm, so a set of hubcentric rings is all you should need to fix that.

See, this is what I was afraid of as its really not the look i'd like for the car in the end :/

I'm not able to part with the wheels as they were given to me as a gift and i do want to keep them for a mostly definite e36m ownership somewhere down the road. Anyone know the deal with how the fit on an e36. Hubs could be the same, but how about that offset on the e36?

Hermes
03-08-2015, 08:19 AM
Hubs are not the same, E39 is all by itself. No matter what you will need hub adapters unless it's for another E39

stephenkirsh
03-09-2015, 01:26 PM
Seems like it'd be even more difficult on the smaller e36?

09mageec
03-09-2015, 04:53 PM
Maybe the ones i have seen in the past are just reps and i'm not remembering. I love those wheels...