PDA

View Full Version : SONOFABITCH!

jwalther
02-27-2015, 11:56 AM
Took my car in this morning for an oil change, and installation of my newly purchased (from Turner Motorsport) Shark Injector. Just got a call from the shop owner telling me the install went bad, and it appears my DME is fried. I am as confident as I can be that the shop didn't do anything wrong. They have a constant voltage charger, and have installed dozens of Sharks. The owner has been on the phone with a rep from Turner, who reports this is the second problem this week they've had with a Shark install. We're now waiting for Turner's "software expert" to call. Unless he has a magic wand, I guess I'm looking at getting a new DME, and figuring out later who pays for it. Any idea what's that's going to cost?

TheFinanceGuy
02-27-2015, 12:01 PM
Ouch... In for updates.

GE Geoff
02-27-2015, 12:04 PM
:facepalm
Damn man, sorry to hear about that. A quick scan of eBay and they're all over the place. Pelican has them for 1487.25. That seems ridiculous, Maybe a slavage or used DME?
Good luck brother

danewilson77
02-27-2015, 12:05 PM
Took my car in this morning for an oil change, and installation of my newly purchased (from Turner Motorsport) Shark Injector. Just got a call from the shop owner telling me the install went bad, and it appears my DME is fried. I am as confident as I can be that the shop didn't do anything wrong. They have a constant voltage charger, and have installed dozens of Sharks. The owner has been on the phone with a rep from Turner, who reports this is the second problem this week they've had with a Shark install. We're now waiting for Turner's "software expert" to call. Unless he has a magic wand, I guess I'm looking at getting a new DME, and figuring out later who pays for it. Any idea what's that's going to cost?
I had to overnight my DME to Jim Conforti in Utah (?) when this happened to me.

"No flamesuit required"

jwalther
02-27-2015, 12:10 PM
I had to overnight my DME to Jim Conforti in Utah (?) when this happened to me.

"No flamesuit required"

What, if anything, was Conforti able to do?

danewilson77
02-27-2015, 12:11 PM
He reprogrammed my DME and put the Shark on it for me.

"No flamesuit required"

BADCLOWN
02-27-2015, 12:51 PM
What a fuckin bummer, in for updates as well.

cakM3
02-27-2015, 12:54 PM
Damn!!!

az3579
02-27-2015, 12:59 PM
Define fried... unless there's physical damage , they should just be able to flash factory software onto the DME and try it again. Shouldn't be a big deal.

jwalther
02-27-2015, 01:08 PM
He reprogrammed my DME and put the Shark on it for me.

"No flamesuit required"

Possible good news. . .Turner wants the DME and Shark sent to them for a reprogram. My guy is shipping today for Monday delivery, and Turner says they'll turn it around in a day. The Rep told my guy this has happened four times in twelve years, twice this week and three of the four with ZHPs. I guess two of those three are here!

danewilson77
02-27-2015, 01:09 PM
:)

"No flamesuit required"

UdubBadger
02-27-2015, 01:22 PM
Sorry to hear. If you want to return if you get it sorted out we can get you the mafia discount on the Eurocharged custom tuning. :dunno

GoingHAM mobile

johnrando
02-28-2015, 09:48 AM
Possible good news. . .Turner wants the DME and Shark sent to them for a reprogram. My guy is shipping today for Monday delivery, and Turner says they'll turn it around in a day. The Rep told my guy this has happened four times in twelve years, twice this week and three of the four with ZHPs. I guess two of those three are here!

Damn! Hope this fix works out! :thumbs

ELCID86
02-28-2015, 01:57 PM
Where's Terra??

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

jwalther
03-03-2015, 05:46 PM
Today's update. . .TMS returned my reflashed DME, my original Shark Injector, and a second Injector in case the original failed (again). My shop tried the install, with the same result-the DME crashed. The whole lot was returned to TMS today on their promise to reflash my DME and do the Shark install themselves. Maybe the third time will be a charm.

TheFinanceGuy
03-03-2015, 06:44 PM
Today's update. . .TMS returned my reflashed DME, my original Shark Injector, and a second Injector in case the original failed (again). My shop tried the install, with the same result-the DME crashed. The whole lot was returned to TMS today on their promise to reflash my DME and do the Shark install themselves. Maybe the third time will be a charm.

I would have assumed they would have flashed the shark...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UdubBadger
03-03-2015, 08:20 PM
that sucks

stephenkirsh
03-03-2015, 11:02 PM
3 of 4 failures this week were ZHPs? I wonder if that's because ppl with ZHPs are more likely to do a mod like this or because there's something different w/ the ZHPS.

330i ZHP
03-03-2015, 11:25 PM
damn

slater
03-04-2015, 05:47 AM

that sucks. at this point, it almost seems like the shop isn't doing something correctly - i assume they've had a good discussion with TMS about it?

I would have assumed they would have flashed the shark...

me too, actually...

3 of 4 failures this week were ZHPs? I wonder if that's because ppl with ZHPs are more likely to do a mod like this or because there's something different w/ the ZHPS.

mine went fine back in january. the one thing that is 'tricky' about it, from my perspective, is determining when the green LED is actually 'flashing' - perhaps jwalther's shop isn't seeing this correctly? i dunno....food for thought. there has to be a logical explanation.

peter

Pleadingbark
03-04-2015, 05:44 PM
I was about to go with the shark tune, but luckily for me I guess they dont keep them in stock locally to me (ga). I then was going todo the dinan so I wouldnt have to worry about issues like your describing, but the guy from eurocharged told me to message them on facebook. He answered all the questions I had and came in under the price of the others. Just waiting on a call back from the shop here that installs the eurocharged stuff so I can get it scheduled and installed.

jwalther
03-05-2015, 04:42 AM
that sucks. at this point, it almost seems like the shop isn't doing something correctly - i assume they've had a good discussion with TMS about it?

me too, actually...

mine went fine back in january. the one thing that is 'tricky' about it, from my perspective, is determining when the green LED is actually 'flashing' - perhaps jwalther's shop isn't seeing this correctly? i dunno....food for thought. there has to be a logical explanation.

peter

I'm confident it's not my shop. They know what they're doing, and have been in communication with TMS. TMS indicated they would do both the reflash and install before returning my DME. We're not sure why they didn't do that the first time.

slater
03-05-2015, 04:51 AM
I'm confident it's not my shop. They know what they're doing, and have been in communication with TMS. TMS indicated they would do both the reflash and install before returning my DME. We're not sure why they didn't do that the first time.

at least they seem to be stand-up folks and are doing what they can to make it right (both your shop and TMS). i hope you are enjoying your conforti tune soon!

peter

GE Geoff
03-05-2015, 05:04 AM
Is your shop or TMS going to help you out or compensate you for being without your ride for a week now? I mean that job sahould's taken a couple hours at most I thought.

slater
03-05-2015, 05:05 AM
Is your shop or TMS going to help you out or compensate you for being without your ride for a week now? I mean that job sahould's taken a couple hours at most I thought.

it takes 30mins. and yes, hopefully they are providing jwalther with a loaner...

GE Geoff
03-05-2015, 05:13 AM
Das is gut!!!

cakM3
03-05-2015, 05:26 AM
Das ist sehr gut!

jwalther
03-06-2015, 04:18 AM
at least they seem to be stand-up folks and are doing what they can to make it right (both your shop and TMS). i hope you are enjoying your conforti tune soon!

peter

Absolutely, no complaints here. Both TMS and my shop are doing what they can to resolve the issue.

jwalther
03-06-2015, 04:20 AM
it takes 30mins. and yes, hopefully they are providing jwalther with a loaner...

No loaner, though in truth I haven't needed one this week. I've been able to drive my daughter's car when necessary.

danewilson77
03-06-2015, 02:27 PM
Make sure your dme gets signed by Jim Conforti:

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/06/c36fc35ae612f365ab5489d80882b879.jpg

"No flamesuit required"

jwalther
03-10-2015, 07:47 AM
Well, finally got the car back, and all is good. TMS reflashed the DME, installed the Shark, and tested it in another vehicle before shipping it back to my shop. TMS reports my car threw a code that they had never seen before, and strongly suggested that I never try to uninstall the software. Ok by me. I'm happy with the result, as the car has noticeably more pep, and maybe a deeper exhaust note.

I want to give a shout out to TMS for their handling of the matter. They might have relied on the letter of their warranty to disclaim any responsibility for the situation. Instead, they worked closely with my shop to make things right, including covering all shipping expenses (four ways, overnight). They've earned a customer for life.

3ZHP
03-10-2015, 08:11 AM
Great to hear, glad it worked out well for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slater
03-10-2015, 08:24 AM
Well, finally got the car back, and all is good. TMS reflashed the DME, installed the Shark, and tested it in another vehicle before shipping it back to my shop. TMS reports my car threw a code that they had never seen before, and strongly suggested that I never try to uninstall the software. Ok by me. I'm happy with the result, as the car has noticeably more pep, and maybe a deeper exhaust note.

I want to give a shout out to TMS for their handling of the matter. They might have relied on the letter of their warranty to disclaim any responsibility for the situation. Instead, they worked closely with my shop to make things right, including covering all shipping expenses (four ways, overnight). They've earned a customer for life.

excellent, thanks for reporting back! yes, that is great to see from TMS. the few times i have had dealings with them have been easy.

peter

GE Geoff
03-10-2015, 10:26 AM

This is great news! Really glad to hear the guys at TMS are good to go. based on what I've seen here think I'll go to them first.
Do you guys know if they offer us a discount?

cakM3
03-10-2015, 10:29 AM
TMS is a standup business. They even allow tours thru their facility for customers. I will be going on one this summer with several friends....yes, pics will be taken to be shared here when that time comes :thumbsup

UdubBadger
03-10-2015, 01:57 PM
Make sure your dme gets signed by Jim Conforti:

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/06/c36fc35ae612f365ab5489d80882b879.jpg

"No flamesuit required"

He might've signed it but you know who's gonna make it sing [emoji6]

GoingHAM mobile

UdubBadger
03-10-2015, 01:58 PM
I agree Chuck. TMS is always my first stop for aftermarket parts mainly because of the customer service.

GoingHAM mobile

Oli77
03-10-2015, 02:54 PM
Glad you are back on the road, and I bet, with a grin on your face!

jwalther
03-13-2015, 03:55 AM
Yet another reason to be pleased with TMS. I got a call yesterday from one of their reps, following up to make sure everything was ok. No firm word on what caused the problem, it still seems to have everyone stumped. He even offered a discount on a future purchase for my trouble :applause.

slater
03-13-2015, 05:00 AM
excellent. good to see!

good customer service is worth a few extra bucks, too.

peter

johnrando
03-13-2015, 05:27 AM
+1

Sockethead
03-18-2015, 10:34 AM
I just came across this thread. TMS Stands by everything they sell and they go out of their way to make sure their customers are satisfied even after the sale, which is really important to me. I've had nothing but great experiences with them. I'll buy their products even if it's cheaper somewhere else just for peace of mind and to support a great company.