PDA

View Full Version : What options are there for tail lights?

stephenkirsh
02-14-2015, 07:20 PM
I think the tail lights are the single item that dates the e46.

It looks like the only options are euro RCR and Eagle LEDs, right? I don't like either; they still seem "old" to me.

Are there any other options out there?

Vas
02-14-2015, 07:38 PM
Euro rcr is the way to go on an imola. Not dated look imo

az3579
02-15-2015, 08:06 AM
I think the tail lights are the single item that dates the e46.

It looks like the only options are euro RCR and Eagle LEDs, right? I don't like either; they still seem "old" to me.

Are there any other options out there?

Huh? I think the E46 has one of the best taillight designs of any car...

Not dated look imo

^ This. If anything, the Eagle Eyes look even more dated since they are based on lights from from an even older car (pre-facelift E46).

BADCLOWN
02-15-2015, 01:16 PM
theres really not much else out there. i recently found out through research the eagle eye LED tail lights, the LEDs specifically, tend to burn out after a year or two and guys are either junking them or replacing the LEDs. for $250-280 for a set, that doesnt seem worth the hassle or the amount of money they are worth.

you could always go with some eBay altezzas haha

stephenkirsh
02-15-2015, 07:41 PM
Sorry, I should have been a bit more clear.

I think the light pattern they put out at night looks really dated. It's basically just a light bulb. Everything now has cool out lines and shapes.

During the day light hours, yes they look just fine, especially in euro RCR.

I guess there aren't many options out there. Oh well!

derbo
02-16-2015, 05:18 PM
There is a weird E90 style one.

Johnmadd
02-16-2015, 05:20 PM

That might look really good on black, maybe just me.

derbo
02-16-2015, 05:25 PM
That might look really good on black, maybe just me.

I can't imagine the quality being good on those...

stephenkirsh
02-16-2015, 05:51 PM

Who makes it?

Hermes
02-16-2015, 09:10 PM
look on eBay. Likely a no name Chinese manufacturer

Nivo
02-17-2015, 05:35 AM
Who makes it?

Sonar from Taipei Taiwan, apparently they use Philips LEDs. US Distributor is Spyder Auto in California.
Apparently they come in 4 different versions. Saw these a while back when I wanted to replaced the sedans taillights.

http://www.sonarautoparts.com.tw/index.html
http://www.spyderauto.com/home.php
http://www.tunersdepot.com/2002-bmw-330xi-tail-lights-led-style/sonar-led-tail-lights-red-clear-e46-4dr-sedan-w-strip-style-96246.html

stephenkirsh
02-17-2015, 10:01 AM
Hmm. Does the family want to sponsor me as an experiment/review?

Joking. I think I'll pass on them. $250 is too close what you can get RCRs for.

danewilson77
02-17-2015, 10:06 AM
Yep.

"No flamesuit required"

Nivo
02-17-2015, 10:44 AM
Hmm. Does the family want to sponsor me as an experiment/review?

Joking. I think I'll pass on them. $250 is too close what you can get RCRs for.

And that is a deal as Bimmian sells them for $350.
I have seen them for around $200 here and there.

derbo
02-17-2015, 01:23 PM
Lol it is an option..

sent from my phone

Simmsled
02-18-2015, 08:25 AM
DEPO LED RCR?

derbo
02-18-2015, 12:36 PM
DEPO LED RCR?

BP will chime in on this one I'm sure..

sent from my phone

NorCalZman
02-18-2015, 12:50 PM
I don't think RCR look old at all. I see plenty of cars out there with similar light tech. Sure BMWs have moved on to the LED bars (which are AWESOME), but RCRs still look modern to me.

stephenkirsh
02-18-2015, 02:12 PM
I don't really see any new cars over $30,000 using a single light bulb to light up a square of translucent plastic. It's become a lot more sophisticated than that. I'm not saying they all look good, though!

Simmsled
02-18-2015, 03:09 PM
Found the E90 one lit up.

az3579
02-18-2015, 03:23 PM
DEPO LED RCR?

BP will chime in on this one I'm sure..

sent from my phone

Yeah the pictured car is my car. Ditched those lights years ago because CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cakM3
02-18-2015, 04:45 PM
If anything, the Eagle Eyes look even more dated since they are based on lights from from an even older car (pre-facelift E46).

Some will say what BP has said about Eagle Eyes but for aftermarket lighting I prefer them because they aren't exactly like the coupe LED lights but are slightly different and use LEDs. Compared to the tail lights below I will say that I think the Eagle Eyes look much better on E46 sedans but that's simply my opinion. I disagree with BPs statement that the Eagle Eyes look dated. If that's the case then all E46's are dated....(did I just say this???) ;)

Found the E90 one lit up.

I would never ever put these on my cars....I would rather go with Eagle Eyes (and I did), RCRs, or put back the OEM tail lights that came with my car.....to me the E90 style tail lights just don't go with the flow of the E46 lines...however with that said, if you like them Steven then go ahead and get them and post your review of these lights for everyone. :thumbsup Maybe after seeing them on your car I might change my opinion.....:scratchinghead

Simmsled
02-20-2015, 11:08 AM
Agreed.

OE lamps (and European OE, so RCR) are the most robust options.
The Eagle Eyes option is decent. They seem to hold up well, and look good.

cakM3
02-20-2015, 11:33 AM
Agreed.

OE lamps (and European OE, so RCR) are the most robust options.
The Eagle Eyes option is decent. They seem to hold up well, and look good.

I've had my Eagle Eyes on my ZHP ever since taking ownership....that's going on 4 years now. So far no issues or leaks with my set :thumbsup

GE Geoff
02-21-2015, 07:39 AM
I've had my Eagle Eyes on my ZHP ever since taking ownership....that's going on 4 years now. So far no issues or leaks with my set :thumbsup

Cak,
Did you do the install or did you purchase your ride that way?
Like you, I like the RCR look but want LED's as the M3 LED tail just isn't for me. I've been pondering this purchase for a bit now and looks like EE LED is the only real option for RCR with multiple LED's as I don't like the standard RCR with LED repalcement bulbs in them.

cakM3
02-21-2015, 07:55 AM
Cak,
Did you do the install or did you purchase your ride that way?
Like you, I like the RCR look but want LED's as the M3 LED tail just isn't for me. I've been pondering this purchase for a bit now and looks like EE LED is the only real option for RCR with multiple LED's as I don't like the standard RCR with LED repalcement bulbs in them.

Geoff,

My ZHP came with OEM ambers when I purchased it. One of the first mods that I installed on my ZHP was a set of Eagle Eyes. I prefer this look especially on Imola red :thumbsup

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8666/16601597082_25549d53b5_o.jpg

My friends call me Charlie or Chuck....:) Here it is with my OE tails...

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8588/16601066331_989c9c1c8a_o.jpg

Like I said... I like Eagle Eyes much better on my Imola Sedan :thumbsup

GE Geoff
02-21-2015, 08:35 AM
Thanks Charlie, Appreciate the input, Think I'll go with EE as well.....Her's ;aundry list is long and growing but my favorite uncle sammy is helping me take care of that this year. :applause2

cakM3
02-21-2015, 08:48 AM
Thanks Charlie, Appreciate the input, Think I'll go with EE as well.....Her's ;aundry list is long and growing but my favorite uncle sammy is helping me take care of that this year. :applause2

Geoff modding is a very slippery slope....once you're on you gotta hang on for the ride! ;) Enjoy your ZHP....you got a nice one :thumbsup

derbo
02-21-2015, 11:14 PM
My cousin has a set of eagle eyes and the LEDs are finally starting to die. He has a few missing LEDs in the array. It's been on his car since 2009 and is a daily driver.

I went with OE RCR. :)

GE Geoff
02-22-2015, 03:38 AM
Thanks Charlie, I appreciate the compliment. I love her to death but just want to get her back to ship shape condition. She's been my driver since '10 and I've been keeping up with the maintenance and doing little things here and there, but the time has come for upgrades. :-)) I understand about the modding...it's kinda like a drug.

BADCLOWN
02-22-2015, 09:44 AM
Charlie: i was put off by the eagle eyes because of reviews that the LEDs burn out and guys were either having to replace the LED/rewire them because they were grouped in sets of 4 or they would just junk them altogether.

cakM3
02-22-2015, 10:04 AM
Charlie: i was put off by the eagle eyes because of reviews that the LEDs burn out and guys were either having to replace the LED/rewire them because they were grouped in sets of 4 or they would just junk them altogether.

I too have heard this but from my experience (having them installed on my 323i and currently my ZHP) I haven't had any issues with my Eagle Eyes. In both cases I had them installed over 3 years of use... I'm now going over 4 years on my present set which is currently mounted on my ZHP, so far no issues :thumbsup

One thing to add is that the weather strip that comes with the Eagle Eyes are cheap so I added additional weather stripping where they mount on the quarter panel surface to provide a water/weather tight seal once the tails are secured in place. So far no issues whatsoever.... no burnt out LEDs of any kind....

I would go with Eagle Eyes again in a heart beat :thumbsup

derbo
02-22-2015, 02:04 PM

Of the few I've seen, they all been had 1 or 2 LED arrays out. I don't know what brand they are using but it seems alot of them are using some low-life LEDs..

What brand is yours Charlie?

cakM3
02-22-2015, 02:12 PM
Of the few I've seen, they all been had 1 or 2 LED arrays out. I don't know what brand they are using but it seems alot of them are using some low-life LEDs..

What brand is yours Charlie?

I've always ordered mine from Bimmian Derek. Never had any issues regarding LED longevity using them....

az3579
02-26-2015, 06:13 AM
... looks like EE LED is the only real option for RCR with multiple LED's as I don't like the standard RCR with LED repalcement bulbs in them.

I just want to clarify: EE LED tails are not RCR's. It's important to differentiate between the two since they're entirely different lights. There are RCR LED tails available as well from Depo, which is why this can get confusing.

GE Geoff
02-26-2015, 06:30 AM
I just want to clarify: EE LED tails are not RCR's. It's important to differentiate between the two since they're entirely different lights. There are RCR LED tails available as well from Depo, which is why this can get confusing.

Than you for that AZ, I can be a little slow at times for a smart guy.
And the quality on the Depo's is questionable, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

az3579
02-26-2015, 07:30 AM
Than you for that AZ, I can be a little slow at times for a smart guy.

Not slow at all, just wanted to make sure nobody gets confused. :)

And the quality on the Depo's is questionable, correct?

Technically aftermarket lights tend to be a crapshoot. Either you get a good set or you don't. This even applies to LED bulbs inside OE housings like I have; I've gone through numerous sets before I found a quality pair/brand.

Safest: Full OE with OE halogen bulbs. Anything else is a risk, though some not as risky as others. It seems to be that out of all the aftermarket alternatives, I think the EE tails are the least risky when it comes to LED lights. For regular aftermarket halogen housing replacements, it doesn't matter as much since the only thing that can usually go wrong with housings are seals. That would be an easy fix anyway.

cakM3
02-27-2015, 07:22 AM
Eagle Eyes......