PDA

View Full Version : New member from Minneapolis, MN: Imola/Alcantara

wiggle_puppy
02-07-2015, 06:17 PM
The information:
Name: Zach

The important stuff:
2004 Imola Red 330i ZHP
Purchased in July of 2013 with somewhere around 125,000 miles...I'm around 147,000 now
Alcantara Interior
Harmon Kardon
6MT )
Silver Cube Trim
Navigation (dead pixels :( )
Heated seats, but no fold down rear seats :(

History:
I purchased the car from the original owner. He special ordered the car in 2003, took delivery at port, and eventually sold it to his friend. After missing the car, he bought it back, and then sold it to me. The car was exclusively dealer maintained (yay!), and oil was changed according to the BMW maintenance schedule (less yay).

What I've done:
*Changed the cooling system (OEM water pump, expansion tank, thermostat + housing, hoses, brass bleeder valve, temperature sensor)
*Changed the transmission fluid
*Replaced the valve cover gasket
*Replaced the oil pump housing gasket
*Installed Lightwerkz HIDs with a projector retrofit
*Installed an AFE stage 1 intake
*Fixed a broken sunroof slider
*Installed an offset front plate mount
*Replaced the floor mats
*Installed a BMW roof rack
*Replaced spark plugs
*Installed Besian VANOS seals and anti-rattle kit
*Had 4 oil changes (maybe a little excessive...)
*Replaced the windshield cowl
*Replaced the cabin filter
*Removed CDV and bled brake system
*DME update...car still surges under 3K RPM at partial throttle

Coming soon:
*18x8.5" and 18x9.5" BBS LMs (waiting for 225/40R18 and 255/35R18 Pilot Super Sports to get here). I got the wheels for an absolute steal ($600!) on craigslist and they look brand new. Some previous owner had snow tires mounted on them (???). They are Porsche fitment, but high offsets (50 and 55) mean I should be able to properly adapt them.

*Koni Yellows or FSDs (can't decide!!) with either H&R Sports or stock springs and a thicker rear spring pad to raise the rear 1/4" or so. I don't like the reverse rake but I don't really want to lower the car.

*Minor rust repair and front end respray
*Z4M offset CABs and full refresh of other bushings
*Stainless lines with Motul fluid (sitting in the garage awaiting a warmer day)
*G.A.S. DISA valve
*New O2 sensors (on the way), and fuel filter...hopefully this fixes my surging
*Coby wheel
*Some tune...Shark, AA, ??? (can't decide)
*Headers (way in the future once the cats die). Ideally I'd run a full SuperSprint system, but I'll probably just buy SS headers and have high flow cats added downstream in the stock exhaust.

*3.46 differential with Wavetrac LSD (sitting in the garage awaiting an input flange swap)
*M3 motor and transmission mounts (sitting in the garage awaiting a warmer day)
*E36 M3 garage mate?

My goal is to keep the car as well maintained as possible and go another 150,000+ miles. This is my "stopgap" car until I can buy a 911 (964, 996, or 997) or Cayman S in a few years. Hopefully a bit before my 30th birthday.

oldzilla
02-07-2015, 07:15 PM
Welcome, looks great.

danewilson77
02-07-2015, 07:23 PM
Looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor.

Welcome to the Family.

"No flamesuit required"

wiggle_puppy
02-07-2015, 09:04 PM
Looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor.

Welcome to the Family.

"No flamesuit required"

:) thanks! Highly saturated photos sure are flattering. I spend a lot of time detailing my cars but she definitely has scars.

fredo
02-08-2015, 06:18 AM
Welcome, Zach. Your car looks mint. Can't believe it's getting close to 150k on the clock.

Vas
02-08-2015, 07:36 AM
Welcome. Nice looking imola zhp

johnrando
02-08-2015, 08:43 AM
Welcome. Beautiful car, great detail in the intro. As for tune, look into Eurocharged. Some of us have AA, some Shark, but then Eurocharged came along and looks to have a great tune. A few of us have that one (I got my AA before I knew about them). They are also a sponsor.

danewilson77
02-08-2015, 08:53 AM
Welcome. Beautiful car, great detail in the intro. As for tune, look into Eurocharged. Some of us have AA, some Shark, but then Eurocharged came along and looks to have a great tune. A few of us have that one (I got my AA before I knew about them). They are also a sponsor.
+1

"No flamesuit required"

Whammy
02-08-2015, 09:09 AM
Welcome!!

Jconlin16
02-08-2015, 09:44 AM
Welcome! I saw this car on craigslist when I purchased mine last august. Are you on MNBMW? Awesome to see someone local join in!

Oli77
02-08-2015, 10:46 AM
Timeless beauty! Welcome to the site.

ELCID86
02-08-2015, 12:56 PM
Welcome to the club and forum.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

wiggle_puppy
02-08-2015, 01:20 PM

Thank you! I'll take a look at what they offer. I'd like to get a tune mostly to sharpen up throttle response as I'm not used to driving electronic throttle cars. Mostly I want to make sure that whatever tune I choose can be modified later for less than full price in case I install headers.

*Edit* I just found this on the Eurocharged website:

All of our tunes are engineered from many hours of datalogging the car on the dyno as well as on the street. We customize every tune for the cars current mods, as well as the local elevation and fuel type! We also offer a money back guarantee on all products as well as FREE retunes if you ever change mods for the lifetime you own the car!

I'm sold.

Welcome! I saw this car on craigslist when I purchased mine last august. Are you on MNBMW? Awesome to see someone local join in!

I'm in the MNBMW Facebook group but I don't really participate much. I had the car listed for a while when I thought I preferred an E36 M3 or could afford a 996 C4S. Neither of those things are true ;)

I feel like I'm in the minority that much prefers the ZHP over the E36 M3. If I could have both, I would...if I can have only one I'll choose the ZHP.

ELCID86
02-08-2015, 01:26 PM
Perhaps start with a pedal box or sprint Booster for some instant zip.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Jconlin16
02-08-2015, 02:07 PM
I'm in the MNBMW Facebook group but I don't really participate much. I had the car listed for a while when I thought I preferred an E36 M3 or could afford a 996 C4S. Neither of those things are true ;)

I feel like I'm in the minority that much prefers the ZHP over the E36 M3. If I could have both, I would...if I can have only one I'll choose the ZHP.

Nice! Yeah, I don't post much on there but I did go to a couple of cruises last summer and had a great time. I am definitely looking forward to going on more cruises this summer, think you'll make it out for any?

The guy I bought my ZHP from sold it because he was looking to purchase an E36 M3 [emoji58]

3ZHP
02-08-2015, 04:05 PM
Welcome, great intro and detail about your ZHP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danewilson77
02-08-2015, 04:19 PM
I'd like to get a tune mostly to sharpen up throttle response as I'm not used to driving electronic throttle cars.

2 words: Sprint Booster.

The friendliest forum on the planet.

johnrando
02-08-2015, 06:18 PM
Definitely a Sprint Booster (what I have) or a Pedal Box (a later, more adjustable version) will remove that drive-by-wire throttle lag. The tunes will give you slightly more overall performance (not much) but they typically don't address throttle lag.