PDA

View Full Version : Another interesting car

NYRhockey
02-06-2015, 01:56 PM
http://www.777auto.com/2004-BMW-3Series/Used-Car/Weymouth%2cBoston%2cHingham-MA/5539319/Details.aspx#Notes

'04 IR 6spd ZHP w/ 61k on it asking $15K and within driving distance (100 miles from my town).

Spoke quickly with the dealer and no maintenance records available but the dealer will allow off site inspection. Per carfax (link below) it was purchased at an auction. Is that a red flag (auction) when looking to purchase a car?

also reviews of the dealer on the web are very mixed with a few poor review from customers whose car broke down repeatedly just days after purchase and were costly repairs.

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=DCS_0&vin=WBAEV53444KM06924#undefined

KevinC
02-06-2015, 02:24 PM
Carfax looks great, and an auction purchase isn't necessarily a bad thing at all.

ELCID86
02-06-2015, 02:29 PM
Those guys always seems to have a few ZHPs and know there is a market for them...

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

NYRhockey
02-06-2015, 02:54 PM
Those guys always seems to have a few ZHPs and know there is a market for them...

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

i think they had a silver one not too long ago. Not sure what else they've had in inventory recently, ZHP wise. $15K seems like a reasonable price as well given the mileage (and if the ppi checks out). Hopefully it's still around in a couple of weeks.

BADCLOWN
02-06-2015, 03:17 PM
Seemingly really nice car, straight body. Only wear and tear seems to be to steering wheel/shift knob

Just_George
02-06-2015, 03:30 PM
Low mileage is a plus, lack of maintenance records, not so much... It doesn't look bad, but does show some wear in the interior (steering wheel, shift knob, seat bolster) At that mileage, it's due for a number of the 'usual' maintenance items. On the other hand, Overlord's car (in OK), while it has more miles, is better equipped and has a stellar maintenance history, all for less money. Granted, you'd have to fly to OK, but you'd also get to enjoy a road trip home in your new car! I'd lean toward the OK car if it were me...

NYRhockey
02-06-2015, 05:04 PM
thanks for the feedback, guys.

George: i agree Overlord's car is very nice but there are 2 things in regards to his car and my situation:

1. Distance. I have to include the cost to get the car to CT as part of the acquisition cost. A couple months ago i tentatively looked at a car in WI and did some estimates on shipping and it was $750 open carriage and $1200(ish) enclosed carriage. From the car's location in WI to my home was about 1000 miles, and from Tulsa is about 1,500 miles so it's going to be more than the $750/1200 i was quoted for the other car. It would cost me less to fly and drive it back, but 1,500 is not a close drive and hotels, meals, gas will quickly add up as well.

2. Mileage. His is undoubtedly in top shape but it's twice the mileage. If i end up getting a ZHP it'll be a commute car (wife's suv would be the family car) so i'll put less than 10k on it a year but looking 3yrs down the road, the MA one would still only have 80-85K and likely be more attractive if i ended up having to sell it being it'd still be considered a lower mileage car and low-mileage, well maintained ZHP's are likely to become more rare as they get older.

Anyways, we'll see which car is still around in a couple of weeks when i can (hopefully) be more active in the market.

Regarding maintenance: Is there a recommended schedule to follow? where can i find it?

Just_George
02-06-2015, 05:12 PM
Mike Miller (writes for both Bimmer Magazine and Roundel) has a maintenance schedule that he will send to anyone upon request. I keep meaning to send him an email, but haven't gotten around to it. There's also a wealth of information, including recommended maintenance, on the Wiki page at Bimmerfest:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php/BMW_E46

ryankokesh
02-06-2015, 05:53 PM
thanks for the feedback, guys.

George: i agree Overlord's car is very nice but there are 2 things in regards to his car and my situation:

1. Distance. I have to include the cost to get the car to CT as part of the acquisition cost. A couple months ago i tentatively looked at a car in WI and did some estimates on shipping and it was $750 open carriage and $1200(ish) enclosed carriage. From the car's location in WI to my home was about 1000 miles, and from Tulsa is about 1,500 miles so it's going to be more than the $750/1200 i was quoted for the other car. It would cost me less to fly and drive it back, but 1,500 is not a close drive and hotels, meals, gas will quickly add up as well.

2. Mileage. His is undoubtedly in top shape but it's twice the mileage. If i end up getting a ZHP it'll be a commute car (wife's suv would be the family car) so i'll put less than 10k on it a year but looking 3yrs down the road, the MA one would still only have 80-85K and likely be more attractive if i ended up having to sell it being it'd still be considered a lower mileage car and low-mileage, well maintained ZHP's are likely to become more rare as they get older.

Anyways, we'll see which car is still around in a couple of weeks when i can (hopefully) be more active in the market.

Regarding maintenance: Is there a recommended schedule to follow? where can i find it?

Alex is selling his car again?

Sent from my iPhone