PDA

View Full Version : Another potential cause for engine mayo

ryankokesh
01-10-2015, 09:06 AM
First of all, I realize I might sound crazy.

Backstory: I had a reasonably new ccv system. ~40k on it and it was the winterized version. Ripped it out this spring because I was getting a ton of mayo in the engine. Put a new winter version in. No mayo for the rest of the spring/summer/fall. Late fall I start noticing a little mayo. Gets colder and it gets worse. Doesn't make sense, since I have a 100 mile round trip commute. Now we're caught up to a week or two ago.

The more I think and read about it, the more it seems that the top of the engine isn't getting warm enough. If you think about the design of the oem intake, the snorkel funnels air from the grills into the filter etc. Because I have a gruppe intake, the snorkel is gone. So in theory that means really cold air is rushing over the top of the engine while I'm driving down the highway. And in theory it seems this could be my culprit.

So, I put the snorkel back on to divert the rush of air to the right, and I threw the hood insulation back on for good measure.

Just checked after a week of driving and no more mayo, even though it's been insanely cold here.

:dunno

Sent from my iPhone

NoVAphotog
01-10-2015, 09:24 AM
Just checked after a week of driving and no more mayo, even though it's been insanely cold here.

"Mayo...uh...finds a way." - Jeff Goldblum

Let us know if you notice anymore over more time. Also, where/how do you check for it, again? Something that is relatively easy to inspect for I assume?

ryankokesh
01-10-2015, 09:25 AM
lol... That it does...

I just checked under the oil filler cap.

Sent from my iPhone

Oli77
01-10-2015, 10:03 AM
My Snorkel is on and my hood insulation is intact and I have some mayo in winter.

ELCID86
01-10-2015, 10:54 AM
My Snorkel is on and my hood insulation is intact and I have some mayo in winter.

Hood insulation is just for sound deadening.

wsmeyer
01-10-2015, 11:13 AM
Hood insulation is just for sound deadening.

I'm not sure about that.

The problem starts when warm damp air comes in contact with a cooler surface, in this case the valve cover. The water in the air then forms water droplets on the inner surfaces of the engine. From there it drops down or runs down the side where it comes in contact with the engine oil. The two won't mix but water is heavier so it works it's way into the oil. When the two go through the oil pump they are forced together in an emulsion.

Insulation under the hood would keep the engine warmer longer and the less temperature difference between the air and the valve cover, the less condensation will firm.

ELCID86
01-10-2015, 11:24 AM
I'm not sure about that.

The problem starts when warm damp air comes in contact with a cooler surface, in this case the valve cover. The water in the air then forms water droplets on the inner surfaces of the engine. From there it drops down or runs down the side where it comes in contact with the engine oil. The two won't mix but water is heavier so it works it's way into the oil. When the two go through the oil pump they are forced together in an emulsion.

Insulation under the hood would keep the engine warmer longer and the less temperature difference between the air and the valve cover, the less condensation will firm.

Hmm. Perhaps. :dunno

ZHPRegistry.net
01-10-2015, 01:21 PM
I noticed that when I put non Mobil1 0w40 I get a little mayo. No mayo with that oil. Anyone else?

az3579
01-10-2015, 01:44 PM
I noticed that when I put non Mobil1 0w40 I get a little mayo. No mayo with that oil. Anyone else?

I got it even with Mobil1 0W-40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryankokesh
01-10-2015, 02:11 PM

I got it with Mobil1, Quartz, and Amsoil.

Sent from my iPhone

LivesNearCostco
01-10-2015, 08:33 PM
I got mustard and relish in summer. Cause seems to be picnics.

Actually I never get mayo in the engine but I don't get really cold weather. My car has both hood insulation and intake snorkel.

ryankokesh
01-11-2015, 06:29 AM
I got mustard and relish in summer. Cause seems to be picnics.

Actually I never get mayo in the engine but I don't get really cold weather. My car has both hood insulation and intake snorkel.

Sounds healthier than mayo. :dunno

Sent from my iPhone

Oli77
01-11-2015, 10:02 AM
I got it even with Mobil1 0W-40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Me too.

09mageec
01-28-2015, 06:33 PM
First of all, I realize I might sound crazy.

Backstory: I had a reasonably new ccv system. ~40k on it and it was the winterized version. Ripped it out this spring because I was getting a ton of mayo in the engine. Put a new winter version in. No mayo for the rest of the spring/summer/fall. Late fall I start noticing a little mayo. Gets colder and it gets worse. Doesn't make sense, since I have a 100 mile round trip commute. Now we're caught up to a week or two ago.

The more I think and read about it, the more it seems that the top of the engine isn't getting warm enough. If you think about the design of the oem intake, the snorkel funnels air from the grills into the filter etc. Because I have a gruppe intake, the snorkel is gone. So in theory that means really cold air is rushing over the top of the engine while I'm driving down the highway. And in theory it seems this could be my culprit.

So, I put the snorkel back on to divert the rush of air to the right, and I threw the hood insulation back on for good measure.

:dunno

Sent from my iPhone

OMG, so glad i came across this!

09mageec
01-28-2015, 06:39 PM
A better way to check to make sure it isn't getting caked up enough to do any damage is to remove the L shaped hose at the bottom right side of the valve cover. Be careful though because the clip mechanism is fragile, just squeeze the raised parts of the clip. If you pull that off and your path for air is narrow you may find yourself in trouble.

Didn't even think about my Gruppe M intake being the culprit though :applause