PDA

View Full Version : Winter Detailing...or...combating salination!

NoVAphotog
01-09-2015, 08:21 PM
Anyone have any tips on car care over the next few months? Or would like to share battle plans?

As of now, my plan is to let it (read: SALT) pile on and then wait for a DECENTLY warm day and hose her off and complete a 2 bucket wash with Mr. Pink and the foam gun.

Or is it more important to take her through a regular or touchless wash if it stays cold for long periods than leaving the salt to season her just right for Old Man Winter to devour?

[USMC]Skywalker
01-09-2015, 08:25 PM
There is touchless car wash in Sterling that has a powerful under carriage spray that removes salt from the underbody, not the greatest for car exterior in terms of cleaning, it does leave some grim behind. I would take it there to remove salt as it is much worse. DO NOT wipe your car after that though all the dirt will leave all kinds of scratches on your car.

alexandre
01-09-2015, 09:19 PM
Mine is full of salt throughout the winter. I run it through touchless every 3 weeks or so. Full detail with jet seal before and after the winter. It looks pretty decent but then again maybe the damage just blends in with the mileage battle marks.

bshovers
01-09-2015, 10:51 PM
Im in the same boat as the OP I hate seeing all the salt on my car. I found self service car wash that I used when it was like 20 degrees outside. Right now it's -10ish with the windchill so you won't see me there anytime soon. Unless maybe I go to just rinse off the salt but then it would just freeze my the time I got home. I'm probably just going to try and clean off the salt as much as possible or if I cave in take it through a car wash since my rims are a little scuffed up anyways. I've been going back and forth on if I should get it detailed and sealed now or just wait until after the winter and get it detailed. Idk... I subscribed to this post to see what other people though because I'm open for suggestions lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cakM3
01-10-2015, 07:20 AM
I wash mine weekly. I have access to a wash stall inside the auto hobby shop. This stall is heated so I'm not exposed to the outside when washing my car.

One weekend, we took BP's car there and gave it a good washing so he knows just how good I have it where I work ;)

Biggest thing is to keep the salt from building up and keeping it off the car as much as you are able.... Anyway that's my plan for the winter months, especially while its real cold outside....

NoVAphotog
01-10-2015, 09:27 AM
I wash mine weekly. Biggest thing is to keep the salt from building up and keeping it off the car as much as you are able...

Wish we had one of those around here...alas...

But yes, I think I will strive to do this. My tolerance for the cold is pretty high. I bought some ice-fishing gloves which are awesome for keeping water off my hands/arms and are insulated for warmth. Plus we should have some 40+ days coming up here...afterall VA winters are not THAT cold unless the Vortex comes on down.

Vas
01-10-2015, 11:32 AM
I run it through a car wash once in a while. Mostly for the underbody rinse. When it's warm, I use my foam canon and auto finesse foam which is made for winter months.

NoVAphotog
01-10-2015, 02:59 PM
I run it through a car wash once in a while. Mostly for the underbody rinse. When it's warm, I use my foam canon and auto finesse foam which is made for winter months.
Hmm might have to pick up some.

ryankokesh
01-11-2015, 06:31 AM
Yeah, I'd never heard of that.

Sent from my iPhone

Vas
01-11-2015, 06:42 AM
5 liter bottle but it's available in 1 liter

https://www.detailersdomain.com/Auto-Finesse-Avalanche-Snow-Foam-Pro-5-Liter_p_929.html

jwalther
01-11-2015, 06:57 AM
Salt application. Next Rain. Immediately to a car wash for undercarriage clean. Repeat as necessary.

LobsterTail
01-13-2015, 10:09 PM
Buy a daily lol. Or just go rinse it at a DIY Car Wash during the day time. Then when on a nice day when you are able to wash it at home do a thorough wash.

bshovers
01-13-2015, 10:35 PM
I wish it was that easy lol

NoVAphotog
01-30-2015, 05:27 AM

ClimRox
02-18-2015, 09:12 AM
What is the general consensus on touchless washes vs regular washes in the winter? We have a few touchless washes around here that don't use the conveyor belt type system, so maybe that would be safer for the wheels? I'm not thrilled with either choice, but I don't see myself going out into the ice and snow to hand wash the grime off of my car. :confused

NoVAphotog
02-18-2015, 09:42 AM
What is the general consensus on touchless washes vs regular washes in the winter? We have a few touchless washes around here that don't use the conveyor belt type system, so maybe that would be safer for the wheels? I'm not thrilled with either choice, but I don't see myself going out into the ice and snow to hand wash the grime off of my car. :confused

The touchless washes use harsher chemicals to clean the car than a regular wash so more than likely they will strip off any sealant or wax after a few visits. On the other hand, a regular wash can damage the wheels (get a winter wheel/tire set, alleviates this issue plus makes driving in the snow a possibility just in case), leaves/creates more swirl marks from the brushes and then the dirty rags the employees use constantly to dry at the end. I've been braving the cold myself for this reason as the front is pretty much devoid of swirls after the respray...

The biggest issue overall is getting the undercarriage rinsed out which either will do. I think/hope winter is almost over so at this point, if I can't find time to spray out myself I might go to a touchless and then reseal/wax once the weather warms up a bit.

BCS_ZHP
02-18-2015, 06:03 PM
Sunoco touch less car wash at I-95 and Rte 123, great undercarriage wash, chemicals not too strong, high pressure water rinse, been using it for 6 years during winter.

NoVAphotog
02-18-2015, 06:20 PM
Sunoco touch less car wash at I-95 and Rte 123, great undercarriage wash, chemicals not too strong, high pressure water rinse, been using it for 6 years during winter.

:thumbsup

Might have to check out the one in Merrifield...

BCS_ZHP
02-18-2015, 06:29 PM
Different chemicals at each station. These owners are cheap so they scrimp on chemicals and turn the water pressure up, perfect for my situation. And only 5 miles from my house, FTW.

cakM3
02-18-2015, 06:29 PM

I'm sure not friendly to low cars......

BCS_ZHP
02-18-2015, 06:31 PM
No rails, no conveyors, you drive over a 1.5" bump so it knows you're in the correct location.

LobsterTail
02-27-2015, 09:31 AM
Went to a DIY off Lee High way when I was on my way to the gym. I ONLY used the powerwasher to clean the salt off (just the water). Helped a lot.