PDA

View Full Version : Dropped my key!

TWong1200
12-21-2014, 05:12 PM
So I dropped my key when I excited my car the other day at the post office and now none of the remote functions work. Still starts the car OK. Anyone have this happen to them? Luckily PO gave me another key!

Thanks

brettbimmer
12-22-2014, 01:11 PM
Maybe the rechargeable battery (which is recharged while driving and key is in the ignition) was jarred loose on impact? Seems odd everything would stop working after one drop.

TWong1200
12-22-2014, 03:29 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. I guess I'll try to pry it open to take a peek.

NorCalZman
12-22-2014, 05:25 PM
If you can't fix it There is a guy in SoCal that can fix keys. Scottgm5.com or something

TWong1200
12-22-2014, 06:52 PM
If you can't fix it There is a guy in SoCal that can fix keys. Scottgm5.com or something
Thanks!

cakM3
12-23-2014, 07:12 PM
Interesting that you lost all functions from your key by just dropping it. I have dropped my keys on concrete flooring a few times mostly from being clumsy but never had these issues. My keys have worked perfectly every time. Hope you get this resolved. Sounds like your battery is dead….very easy to replace by the way…

You CAN replace the battery, but you must have a little patience and some special tools.

Here is what you need:

1) Small jewelers screwdriver (flathead)
2) Razor blade
3) Soldering gun
4) JB weld ($5.00)
5) New battery (Panasonic VL-2020 Lithium Coin Cell battery: $5.00)
6) Super glue ($2.00)

Replacement Procedures:

1) Gently pry open the key by forcing the screwdriver in the rear center of the key. You will score the plastic case a little bit where you put the screwdriver in, but the battery sits back there and you are away from the electronics for the remote. My key split open fairly easily, but the edges were a little bit rough where I worked but can be smoothed out using a razor.

2) Pop out the board inside of the key, you can't miss the battery. You can see the battery has a positive and negative lead soldered to the board. Using your soldering gun, melt off the solder that is holding the battery leads to the board. The battery will then fall off. I recommend a Panasonic VL2020 rechargeable battery. Then solder the new connector with the battery to the board.

3) The leads on the battery I got were similar, but did not line up exactly, so I had to bend one of the leads slightly to fit the hole pattern on the board.

4) Put the board with the new key back into the key housing. Put a little bit of super glue on the edges of the housing and press the two parts of the housing together until they are secured (Make sure the board and battery are installed correctly before you do this!)

5) You have to initialize the key. (This is covered a lot in the forums.) You must do both keys at the same time. I re-initialized the new key, then the old one I had just put the battery in. Both checked out, viola! Extra key now works!

So in a short amount of time and roughly $20.00 invested, you can have an extra key that is fully functional. If you want to save $250 and have a little time to do this repair, you can make an old key remote work again, or just use your key manually. Hope this helps!

I've done this a few times before, it's not too hard. :thumbsup

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7481/15904686088_2d134caac5_o.png

Get the horizontal one, its much easier to work with :thumbsup

brettbimmer
12-23-2014, 09:15 PM
Nice Charlie!! Thanks for posting the technical details!

cakM3
12-23-2014, 09:34 PM
Nice Charlie!! Thanks for posting the technical details!

Glad to share some info here Brett! :thumbsup

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD

TWong1200
12-23-2014, 09:37 PM
Thanks! I'll give this a shot!

Tnhl1989
12-24-2014, 04:21 AM
Try resyncing the key first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ELCID86
12-24-2014, 04:37 AM
Great DIY. I wouldn't think a "watch" battery would be rechargeable. Do they to resynch it first and then let us know how the project comes out.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

cakM3
12-24-2014, 05:00 AM
Try resyncing the key first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

Yeah, I would try resynching the key first before doing the DIY...

johnrando
12-24-2014, 10:26 AM
Good DIY Charlie.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

cakM3
12-24-2014, 10:40 AM
Good DIY Charlie.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks John! :thumbsup