PDA

View Full Version : Interest in updating LCMs to 4.0 or 4.5?

terraphantm
12-20-2014, 09:28 PM
I'm researching the possibility of updating LCMs at the moment. I think all 2003.5 and newer LCMs (CI34 and newer, which includes all ZHPs) can be updated to the 4.5 (CI37) software. As some of you know the 4.0 (CI36) and 4.5 (CI37) software have additional features, perhaps the most notable being the triple blink signals. Other features include city lights as DRLs, taillights on with DRLs, and bixenons as flash to pass.

So far I have successfully dumped the software from a HW3.1 (CI32?) unit. It's pretty invasive -- have to solder basically right onto the CPU to read the flash. And the board is coated in a rather tough conformal coating, which is a bit of a pain to remove without damaging traces and pins. I have a 4.0/CI36 unit in my car that I can read the software from, though I don't really want to do so without having a spare on hand. I don't have access to any other units.

So before I delve too deep into this - I want to find out if there's any interest in the research. I would post up pretty much everything I find so that you can do the update yourself. If there is interest - would anyone be willing to lend me a CI34 or CI35 LSZ (HW 3.56 and 3.6 respectively if I'm not mistaken)? If I'm successful, whoever lends me such an LCM would basically have a free 4.0 LCM afterwards. If people would rather have the 4.5 software, someone will have to let me borrow one. Otherwise I will probably just dump the 4.0 software from my own LCM.

derbo
12-20-2014, 10:55 PM
Terra, I might have a few spare LCMs laying around. I will have to check which LSZ version they are. I know my original LCM in my car is a C35, but I need to check the other ones I have.

az3579
12-21-2014, 06:52 AM
You can have my old one. Please send me a PM with shipping address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

derbo
12-21-2014, 12:58 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/21/30faf4d5b669caa8003427462e751780.jpg

I got one too. Its an ece version if that matters to you.

sent from my phone

ELCID86
12-21-2014, 01:29 PM
I have a 3.56 and a 3.6 if you need them.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

terraphantm
12-21-2014, 02:52 PM
Hey, thanks for the responses everyone. US vs ECE shouldn't matter. And I don't need the faceplates either - just the main board.

So I'm pretty sure that I won't need both a 3.56 and 3.6, but for the sake of completeness, maybe it'd be best if I examined both. So I'll PM two of ya

terraphantm
12-22-2014, 07:17 PM
Successfully dumped the CI36 software from my LSZ without killing it

http://i.imgur.com/Ifk3Apjh.jpg

Next step is to flash an older unit and see what happens.

rguti153
12-22-2014, 07:28 PM
May I ask what is your profession . Just wondering ,

terraphantm
12-22-2014, 07:33 PM
Nothing special, I do some IT stuff at my uncle's company. That's not my career path though; I will hopefully be a med student by next summer.

wsmeyer
12-22-2014, 08:00 PM
A speculator might buy up a bunch of them with < 4.0 software while they still aren't worth anything

terraphantm
12-22-2014, 08:17 PM
At least all the 03.5+ guys already have the updatable units. The 99-03 owners may end up paying more than before.

Edit: Took a quick look on eBay. I'm amazed at how few of these units are capable of autoleveling. That's fine for the facelift coupes since your adaptive modules handle that part, but sedans and M3s need the extra hardware. Maybe I should document what's needed for that (looks like a stepper motor controller, some capacitors, and some resistors)

derbo
12-22-2014, 08:38 PM
Im excited :)

sent from my phone

rguti153
12-23-2014, 08:04 AM
I am lost lol but sounds like u putting in some work

derbo
12-23-2014, 08:43 AM
I will send you my spare LCM after the holidays. I don't think going to the Post Office today is a good idea.. lol

ryankokesh
12-23-2014, 09:24 AM
This is fairly crazy. Very excited!

bullfrogs_M3
12-23-2014, 10:07 AM
Definitely interested if this is even a remote possibility for upgrading my firmware!!!!

Subscribed to thread

Tnhl1989
12-23-2014, 12:48 PM
Where do I send mine ?

ELCID86
12-23-2014, 01:34 PM
I didn't see a PM so I guess you got a few to try it on.

terraphantm
12-23-2014, 08:47 PM
Yeah I should have a couple sometime after christmas

ELCID86
12-24-2014, 04:39 AM
Awesome. Looking forward to your report. I'm also interested in an ECU flash if/when you have time to chat about it.

terraphantm
12-28-2014, 04:52 PM
Well I found a 3.6/CI35 Xenon LCM on eBay for $30 shipped, so I decided to scoop it up. Got it on Saturday, and decided to try flashing it.

You'll be happy to know that the flash was successful and everything just works, including the triple blink. It's a 4.0/C36 LSZ now as far as I'm concerned. Still have to do the 3.56/CI34 testing, but I'm confident it will work. Those who already sent LCMs to me will still get theirs upgraded for free.

As far as the actual programming goes -- here's the quick and dirty version. I'll try to post details when I get the chance. These are the pins you need to connect to:

http://i.imgur.com/CqxX6JT.png

Depending on the programmer you use, your wire colors may vary. I started off using an xprog-M (and that's what the colors above represent), but I ended up using an R270 programmer since it seemed to read and write more reliably. Whatever programmer you use, make sure it's compatible with the Freescale/Motorola HC12 microcontrollers, and match the programming pins to the highlighted pins above.

Pins 23, 40, 41, and 42 have nearby vias that are easy to solder to. Pin 36 (XCLKS) has to be soldered directly to the MCU. Pin 46 goes to the clock crystal, but the one found on CI34 and newer LSZs is quite small. I found it easier to just solder directly to the CPU. You will want to use very small solid (non-stranded) wire. Anything else is pretty much impossible to solder cleanly to the CPU.

In the R270 software, you select 2L86D from the list of MCUs. Read the stock flash and EEPROM just so you have a backup. Then powercycle the programmer, and flash the CI36 flash and EEPROM. Also note, the EEPROM is what stores the VIN, mileage, and actual coding settings. This can be altered in PASoft, though it might be easiest to just flash one that has a 0'd VIN and mileage and then code with NCS Expert.

Also, these LCMs have a rather tough coating all over the board. Carefully scratch it away, or melt/burn away what you can with a soldering iron (I don't really like the latter, but sometimes its easier)

ELCID86
12-28-2014, 05:06 PM
Very impressive (but mostly Greek :))!

cakM3
12-28-2014, 05:12 PM
awesome work Terra! You never cease to amaze, that's for sure! Thanks for sharing with everyone!! :thumbsup

terraphantm
12-28-2014, 06:41 PM
Thanks guys. Glad to finally prove that its possible. If I could somehow get a dump of the 4.5/CI37 software, we could probably all flash to that. Though I'm not sure if there's any practical difference between the 4.0 and 4.5 software. There is one extra line in the 4.5 daten file for NCS (SL_AUS_BEI_FA_TUER_AUF -- "Parking lights off with driver door open"). Not sure what that line does

derbo
12-28-2014, 07:17 PM
Wonderful Terra!

Looks like you are setting a debug mode with a reset to flash the new ROM?

Can't wait for you to try mine. It should be in the mail tomorrow. :)

terraphantm
12-28-2014, 07:44 PM
Wonderful Terra!

Looks like you are setting a debug mode with a reset to flash the new ROM?

Can't wait for you to try mine. It should be in the mail tomorrow. :)

That is essentially what the programmer does, yes. Most of these 9s12 programmers are meant for the CAS module in the newer BMWs, but they work fine for these purposes.

Now that I know BMW didn't bother securing the flash on their LSZs, it shouldn't be too difficult to build a BDM interface for less money. I do have to wonder if BMW included any provision to update these over OBDII. Guess I have to start disassembling the software to figure that one out

BADCLOWN
12-30-2014, 11:55 AM
are you planning to/would you be willing to reflash an LCM and code it to lets say my car and ship out? nominal fee attached of course for the service? i think this is worth the update strictly for the comfort turn signal mod

ryankokesh
12-30-2014, 12:21 PM
Well count me as interested... either if you need something to test with or you'll do it for a fee.

terraphantm
12-30-2014, 02:48 PM
Well I've been thinking about offering this as a service but haven't given it too much thought yet. What price range do you think would be fair? Assuming your LCMs have equivalent hardware to mine (support for auto leveling), I could send you an already converted unit and take yours as a core

cakM3
12-30-2014, 03:04 PM
… I could send you an already converted unit and take yours as a core

That sounds like a pretty good offer Terra :thumbsup

ELCID86
12-30-2014, 03:36 PM
In sure you'd have a lot of demand.

derbo
12-30-2014, 06:04 PM
Well I've been thinking about offering this as a service but haven't given it too much thought yet. What price range do you think would be fair? Assuming your LCMs have equivalent hardware to mine (support for auto leveling), I could send you an already converted unit and take yours as a core

How long does it take you to do? Including setup time? I would imagine if you want to do so, it would have to be a set price based on how many hours it takes you including coding the VIN into the LCM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cakM3
12-30-2014, 06:24 PM
Terra, I have an LCM with s/w 3.6 and another with s/w 3.01. Would you like me to send them in for your work?

terraphantm
12-30-2014, 07:04 PM
How long does it take you to do? Including setup time? I would imagine if you want to do so, it would have to be a set price based on how many hours it takes you including coding the VIN into the LCM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well it's hard to say since I've gotten quicker with each successive LSZ. And the coding step is one of those things that I can write a program to automate if necessary.

Biggest factor IMO is that there's an element of risk I take on. I'm pretty good at soldering, but even with a good temperature controlled station and proper technique, there's always some risk of lifting a pad, which can be disastrous if it's one of the pads for the CPU. In such a scenario, I would of course replace the unit.
I'll think it over a bit.

Terra, I have an LCM with s/w 3.6 and another with s/w 3.01. Would you like me to send them in for your work?

The 3.6 can definitely be updated. The 3.01 unfortunately cannot be (well it might be upgradeable to a 3.1, but that doesn't really result in any features gained).

cakM3
12-30-2014, 07:07 PM
The 3.6 can definitely be updated. The 3.01 unfortunately cannot be (well it might be upgradeable to a 3.1, but that doesn't really result in any features gained).

Okay, just thought I would put it out there…didn't know about the 3.01, thanks!

ryankokesh
12-30-2014, 07:25 PM
Don't forget all the r&d you put in

Sent from my iPhone

BADCLOWN
12-31-2014, 10:03 AM
if you do set up a core exchange type program id definitely participate/purchase

cakM3
12-31-2014, 10:15 AM
if you do set up a core exchange type program id definitely participate/purchase

+1

I have one I can send in now ;)

bullfrogs_M3
12-31-2014, 10:27 AM
+1

+2

terraphantm
12-31-2014, 02:59 PM
Well I have some bad news. It would appear the C34 LSZs are not upgradeable. I just got derbo's in and the microcontroller is different. The board appears to be the same, but the microcontroller has a much larger EEPROM (4k vs 1k) and much larger flash (256k vs 64k). The extra space seems to be unused, but the problem is that simply having that extra space would require the code to be rewritten, and that goes beyond my expertise.

Thankfully the C34s are relatively rare since they were only in production for a couple months. The C35s were used for 2 years, so there's plenty on the market.

cakM3
12-31-2014, 03:09 PM
Terra, how do you determine what version LSZ a person has? Whether they have the C34 or C35 (preferred)?

terraphantm
12-31-2014, 03:13 PM
Look at the software number on the sticker

3.56 = C34
3.6 = C35
4.0 = C36
4.5 = C37

cakM3
12-31-2014, 03:15 PM
Thanks!

derbo
12-31-2014, 03:21 PM
Well I have some bad news. It would appear the C34 LSZs are not upgradeable. I just got derbo's in and the microcontroller is different. The board appears to be the same, but the microcontroller has a much larger EEPROM (4k vs 1k) and much larger flash (256k vs 64k). The extra space seems to be unused, but the problem is that simply having that extra space would require the code to be rewritten, and that goes beyond my expertise.

Thankfully the C34s are relatively rare since they were only in production for a couple months. The C35s were used for 2 years, so there's plenty on the market.

Well darn.

az3579
12-31-2014, 03:37 PM
So then my 3.6 should take it just fine since it's a late production 12/04 sedan. If it takes it, then we'll know this is closer to being a sure-fire process...

derbo
12-31-2014, 03:39 PM
So then my 3.6 should take it just fine since it's a late production 12/04 sedan. If it takes it, then we'll know this is closer to being a sure-fire process...

It should since Terra already did it to a C35 3.6 LCM. :)

az3579
12-31-2014, 03:40 PM
It should since Terra already did it to a C35 3.6 LCM. :)

It's always good to have verification by doing another one. ;)

derbo
12-31-2014, 03:48 PM
It's always good to have verification by doing another one. ;)

I hope Terra wants to do my existing one as well ;) hahah

Tnhl1989
12-31-2014, 03:50 PM
Let me check if I have a 4.5 in my car. Don't recall if I do however if I do I'll send it your way to dump the eeprom.

terraphantm
12-31-2014, 06:48 PM
^ That would be awesome if you were willing to send that. I could even send you one of my LCMs before hand for you to use in the mean time

derbo
12-31-2014, 07:25 PM
I love how we can swap LCM with ease on something BMW wanted the tamper dot to show up on! :)

derbo
12-31-2014, 07:35 PM
Let me check if I have a 4.5 in my car. Don't recall if I do however if I do I'll send it your way to dump the eeprom.

^ That would be awesome if you were willing to send that. I could even send you one of my LCMs before hand for you to use in the mean time

It would be awesome if Tony does have a 4.5. It would be nice to flash the 3.6 to a 4.5 !!! :D

There is one extra line in the 4.5 daten file for NCS (SL_AUS_BEI_FA_TUER_AUF -- "Parking lights off with driver door open"). Not sure what that line does

Terra,

I think this line is to help prevent cars draining the battery if the LCM is left in "parking lights" and "headlights on" This is only a guess as the E90s all have this feature now. It should only work if the car was running and any switch changes after engine kill should override it.

This is only a hunch, but I would love that feature if it is indeed in 4.5

terraphantm
12-31-2014, 08:18 PM
It would be awesome if Tony does have a 4.5. It would be nice to flash the 3.6 to a 4.5 !!! :D

Terra,

I think this line is to help prevent cars draining the battery if the LCM is left in "parking lights" and "headlights on" This is only a guess as the E90s all have this feature now. It should only work if the car was running and any switch changes after engine kill should override it.

If that is what it does, it would be a nice feature. I was digging through those daten files, and it looks like it's enabled by default on late model (April 07 and newer) Z4s. Anyone here own one of those?

derbo
01-01-2015, 08:43 PM
If that is what it does, it would be a nice feature. I was digging through those daten files, and it looks like it's enabled by default on late model (April 07 and newer) Z4s. Anyone here own one of those?

When did the 4.5 start production?

Sent from iPad Mini

Tnhl1989
01-01-2015, 10:53 PM

Terra,

So just pulled it out tonight. Derek has been messaging me on Facebook to get this done. Still the busiest and craziest time to purchase a car currently so I haven't been able to do much else. I did pull this lcm from eBay and it was from a 05 330 in Canada when I pulled the vin from it originally. I think I saved the vin or screenshot somewhere.

Anyways this will be going to Terra for the research. I have a spare 3.6 lcm that I can use in the mean time as well. Just shoot me a pm of your address and it'll go out when I get a chance.

Thank you again Terra for all your resources and wisdom throughout all my projects even thought most at indirect. I'm still trying to figure out why my rain sensor isn't working correctly.

derbo
01-01-2015, 11:03 PM
So just pulled it out tonight. Derek has been messaging me on Facebook to get this done. Still the busiest and craziest time to purchase a car currently so I haven't been able to do much else. I did pull this lcm from eBay and it was from a 05 330 in Canada when I pulled the vin from it originally. I think I saved the vin or screenshot somewhere.

Anyways this will be going to Terra for the research. I have a spare 3.6 lcm that I can use in the mean time as well. Just shoot me a pm of your address and it'll go out when I get a chance.

Thank you again Terra for all your resources and wisdom throughout all my projects even thought most at indirect. I'm still trying to figure out why my rain sensor isn't working correctly.

AWESOME TONY! Sorry the interest was too high and I was curious if you had it. LOL

rguti153
01-01-2015, 11:41 PM
Ill pay for a swap

Tnhl1989
01-02-2015, 12:29 AM
Ill pay for a swap

Not for sale.

danewilson77
01-02-2015, 09:00 AM
Ill pay for a swap

Not for sale.
He most likely wasn't referring to yours Tony.

Just a swap in the future, if Terra decides to offer service.

"No flamesuit required"

terraphantm
01-02-2015, 10:20 AM

Awesome - sent you a PM.

Was your rain sensor retrofitted? And do you have a thread on it somewhere here?

Tnhl1989
01-02-2015, 03:15 PM
No thread really. There was a old thread on e46fanatics that you posted in regarding the retrofit of the rain sensor. I did end up retrofitting it sometimes it works. Comes up with errors of the optical sensor it seems once in a while. I am trying to button it up when I get the chance. I also have a new aftermarket glass as well.

terraphantm
01-02-2015, 09:33 PM
My guess would be that the issue is between the glue and the glass, but I'll check to see if there is any way to calibrate the sensor

derbo
01-02-2015, 11:55 PM
My guess would be that the issue is between the glue and the glass, but I'll check to see if there is any way to calibrate the sensor

It's been known aftermarket glass glue causes issues with the rain sensor.

Sent from iPad Mini

cakM3
01-03-2015, 06:13 AM
It's been known aftermarket glass glue causes issues with the rain sensor.

Sent from iPad Mini

I have read this as well Derek. Not sure if you can recalibrate the rain sensor Terra. Interesting to find out though :thumbsup

Tnhl1989
01-03-2015, 06:45 AM
If someone could provide me information on how to recalibrate it that would be great.

derbo
01-03-2015, 12:05 PM
If someone could provide me information on how to recalibrate it that would be great.

make a new thread? but you can try using INPA and reinitialize it?

terraphantm
01-05-2015, 02:10 PM
Okay, so I got the 4.5 LCM today (thanks again Tnhl1989!) and flashed it to my personal unit. Good news: It works, NCS sees it as a C37 module.

Bad news? I can't figure out what the extra function does. Parking lights still stay on when the car is shut off and door is opened in the parking light or low beam position.

Tnhl1989
01-05-2015, 02:25 PM
Interesting. Well I have a 3.6 coming to me from Europe and hoping to get that updated eventually.

terraphantm
01-05-2015, 03:00 PM
Cool, just send me a PM when you want to deal with that. I'll try to get your 4.5 mailed back to you tomorrow

BADCLOWN
01-05-2015, 03:04 PM
so whats the scoop on a potential core exchange program here?

rguti153
01-05-2015, 03:19 PM
He most likely wasn't referring to yours Tony.

Just a swap in the future, if Terra decides to offer service.

"No flamesuit required"
Yes ill pay for the service if he decides

Tnhl1989
01-05-2015, 03:49 PM
Take your time with it terra. Seriously no rush at all.

ELCID86
01-06-2015, 05:34 AM
so whats the scoop on a potential core exchange program here?

+1. If Terra can handle the demand and Dane permits it.

terraphantm
01-06-2015, 08:06 AM
Assuming the boss is okay with it - I'm thinking $70 + $50 refundable core (which would be refunded after I get your LCM on hand, assuming it's functional and a 3.6 model). If you sent me the LCM before hand, there would be no core charge. The only cores I would accept are from sedans and prefacelift coupes with xenons and a 3.6 LCM. ECE vs US doesn't matter to my knowledge. I can code halogen and facelift coupe units too, but I don't have one to exchange with you

Unless a specific setup is requested, I would ship the replacement in a "virgin" state -- 0 miles, blank VIN, blank VO, and a default US sedan coding setup. Your car's particulars can be restored in about 30 seconds with NCS Expert. I could preopulate the VIN and VO beforehand, though the VO would require some guessing on my part.

In the spirit of sharing, I've attached an archive with the flash and virginized EEPROMs from a C36 and C37 LSZ. Change the extension from ".pdf" to ".rar" to see the files.

az3579
01-06-2015, 08:49 AM
Assuming the boss is okay with it - I'm thinking $70 + $50 refundable core (which would be refunded after I get your LCM on hand, assuming it's functional and a 3.6 model). If you sent me the LCM before hand, there would be no core charge. The only cores I would accept are from sedans and prefacelift coupes with xenons and a 3.6 LCM. ECE vs US doesn't matter to my knowledge. I can code halogen and facelift coupe units too, but I don't have one to exchange with you

Unless a specific setup is requested, I would ship the replacement in a "virgin" state -- 0 miles, blank VIN, blank VO, and a default US sedan coding setup. Your car's particulars can be restored in about 30 seconds with NCS Expert. I could preopulate the VIN and VO beforehand, though the VO would require some guessing on my part.

In the spirit of sharing, I've attached an archive with the flash and virginized EEPROMs from a C36 and C37 LSZ. Change the extension from ".pdf" to ".rar" to see the files.

This is really gravy. Sounds like you've got a good plan here. :thumbsup

danewilson77
01-06-2015, 12:06 PM

PM sent.

"No flamesuit required"

derbo
01-06-2015, 12:21 PM
I 100% back up Terra's plan as the amount of research and manual labor involved. This is definitely a fair price on Terras part. Good job Terra!!

sent from my phone

terraphantm
01-06-2015, 01:07 PM
Okay guys, Dane and I came to an agreement, so everything should be kosher here on out. If you want to exchange an LCM or send one to me for flashing, send me a PM and we'll work out the logistics.

ELCID86
01-06-2015, 01:32 PM
Awesome. PM on the way.

anandoc
01-06-2015, 05:55 PM
I might be interested in this down the road, however I would like to buy a spare LCM off ebay/forums and send that Terra's way. Due to the crazy variations in the LCM SW/HW, could somebody be kind enough to post the part numbers for the appropriate LCM (3.6/3.62) that I should be looking for?

I can't pull my own LCM to look up the part# till summer since its like -21C where I live. Thanks much!

danewilson77
01-06-2015, 07:30 PM
Okay guys, Dane and I came to an agreement, so everything should be kosher here on out. If you want to exchange an LCM or send one to me for flashing, send me a PM and we'll work out the logistics.
Terra,

Please setup an official sign up thread so we can see who needs taken care of.

Thanks

"No flamesuit required"

terraphantm
01-06-2015, 08:13 PM
Done - http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?14805-LCM-Software-Update-to-4.5-Enable-Triple-Flash-(and-more)!-70-core&p=409032#post409032

I don't know if that's the right section - please move it if necessary