PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof drain gutter

melonz
12-03-2014, 12:01 AM
This morning I went out to the car and found a puddle in the front passenger side footwell. :eyetwitch I used a towel and dried it off as best I could then drove to work with the heater on full blast coming out of the footwell to dry the area.

My old 2001 330i started to get moist carpets in the same area but it was fixed by changing the vapor barrier on the doors but I doubt that this is the problem with the ZHP due to the severity of this puddle.

So tomorrow I plan on looking at the drain gutters for the sun roof as the previous owner mentioned to me that he's had the sunroof fixed 3 times at the dealership... chances are high that the gutter was no installed properly.

So what I've found through searching is to:
1) Take A-pillar off
2) Take visor off
3) Take handle off
4) Pry off headliner near the passenger side

Does this sound about right?

Also does anyone know how the drain gutter is secured to the drain plug from the factory or if there is a better way to secure it?

Also if anyone has picture that'd be great, all the threads I found were super old with all the pictures missing.

Thanks!

melonz
12-03-2014, 02:11 AM
OK so I got anxious and went out to check on the car lmao.

So long story short I just spent an hour pulling the pillars and other stuff off to look up at the rain gutter thing and it's connected so chances of it being the gutter is slim unless it's clogged which I'll have to check another day.

However I stepped out of the passenger side door next to the curb and the water was flowing over the curb onto the sidewalk. I suspect the height of the water last night had something to do with the water collecting inside my car otherwise it's the vapor barrier gone bad. However I don't suspect it's the barrier because none of the carpet under the seat was wet and most of the water was collected in the front of the footwell.

Good night and I'll update what I find tomorrow morning. I parked the car further away from the curb than I normally would to see if the same results would occur.

Edit: Also noticed the cowling on the windshield was cracked and chipped. Ordered new one off of ECS along with some blindspot mirrors.

LivesNearCostco
12-03-2014, 07:17 AM
Could it be that your sunroof drain is connected but clogged at the bottom? Of course if the gutter flow was high enough to go over the door sill last night, that would be an easier explanation.

cakM3
12-03-2014, 07:26 AM
Check your cowling plastic. If there are cracks where the cowling meets the windshield, then there's a chance that water can be getting inside that way...

You can order the Windshield Cowl Cover Refresh Kit from ECS Tuning. I had a similar issue in my ZHP and replaced my windshield cowling and no longer experience leaks inside my car. Something to look over.... I have replaced the windshield cowl cover on both of my cars...

melonz
12-03-2014, 10:25 AM
Awesome, so I ordered a new cowl but not the kit. I noticed the cowl kit has some gaskets for the wipers? Not sure if that was needed but I ordered it last night and it shipped out today so I guess I can't change the order. Whoops.

Any thoughts on how to dry out the carpet to get rid of any potential lingering moisture? So far the top of the carpet is dry to the touch but I don't want to chance it with the possibility the layer underneath is still wet. Desiccant?

BUT this morning I found no water. I feel like it might have been the cowl but I'll update again in a few days if more water forms.

NorCalZman
12-03-2014, 11:01 AM
I have had the same mystery puddle in my front passenger foot well, once. It was after a really bad storm. I did change the cowl (I think it was before this). I took off the passenger side door card and sprayed the door with water to see if it was the vapor barrier and I could not reproduce any leaking. I pulled apart the A pillar and roof to look at the sunroof drain, which was still attached, and could not reproduce the leak by pouring a lot of water down it. It has not happened since and it remains a mystery. Hope you have better luck than I did finding out the source.

cakM3
12-03-2014, 11:08 AM
Awesome, so I ordered a new cowl but not the kit. I noticed the cowl kit has some gaskets for the wipers? Not sure if that was needed but I ordered it last night and it shipped out today so I guess I can't change the order. Whoops.

Any thoughts on how to dry out the carpet to get rid of any potential lingering moisture? So far the top of the carpet is dry to the touch but I don't want to chance it with the possibility the layer underneath is still wet. Desiccant?

BUT this morning I found no water. I feel like it might have been the cowl but I'll update again in a few days if more water forms.

I would get several Desiccant packs and place them in the passenger's foot well.... allow the packs to pull the moisture out and you should be good to go :thumbsup

It's been raining where I am at and I don't have this issue anymore....

NorCalZman
12-03-2014, 11:10 AM
I would get several Desiccant packs and place them in the passenger's foot well.... allow the packs to pull the moisture out and you should be good to go :thumbsup

It's been raining where I am at and I don't have this issue anymore....

Doesnt baking soda absorb moisture like no tomorrow? If so those boxes of arm and hammer fridge and freezer with the removable sides should help too.

melonz
12-03-2014, 11:14 AM
Sweet, thanks for the suggestions.

I'm starting to think it was the water level on the street that flooded the car. I don't think I've ever seen water pooling that high onto the sidewalk in my years living here. With the cowl in I'll test out different areas to see if there is a leak.

Do you guys think any of the electronics got wet? Nothing coming up on the dash. Hope not. :(

melonz
12-03-2014, 11:17 AM
Also noticed a few nights back that I had a lot of condensation inside my car windows, should've taken it as a clue there is a leak somewhere.

cakM3
12-03-2014, 11:28 AM
Doesnt baking soda absorb moisture like no tomorrow? If so those boxes of arm and hammer fridge and freezer with the removable sides should help too.

Good question.... I have never used baking soda but if anything, it will remove any odors inside the car :)

Sweet, thanks for the suggestions.

I'm starting to think it was the water level on the street that flooded the car. I don't think I've ever seen water pooling that high onto the sidewalk in my years living here. With the cowl in I'll test out different areas to see if there is a leak.

Do you guys think any of the electronics got wet? Nothing coming up on the dash. Hope not. :(

Guess it all depends on how much water got inside...I've had my windows condensated from moisture inside before I replaced my windshield cowling....so far nothing has been affected :thumbsup ... and that was over a year ago. :) Don't forget that if you're soaked from the rain, you will end up contributing to the added moisture inside your car once you get inside ;)

toddness
12-03-2014, 12:10 PM
Lacking dessicant - uncooked white rice is a fantastic absorbent of moisture as well.

cakM3
12-03-2014, 12:38 PM
Lacking dessicant - uncooked white rice is a fantastic absorbent of moisture as well.

Truth +1

LivesNearCostco
12-03-2014, 12:48 PM
But if I spread chicken fried rice or risotto on my carpet, I suppose that won't help will it? Probably best to stick with uncooked white rice and baking soda!

melonz
12-03-2014, 01:35 PM
ok so I dropped by Home Depot to see if they had desiccants, unfortunately they don't, but they do have a product called DampRid.

Read up on it and its calcium chloride so I have to be very careful not spill it. However it seems pretty good from what I read so I bought a pack and left it open in the passenger seat footwell and it should have a few hours to work and I'll leave it overnight as well.

Also I came to the car today and noticed this small towel I placed was a tad bit wet. I think it may just be the cowl.