PDA

View Full Version : Behr Expansion Tanks - Heads up

az3579
11-26-2014, 06:56 AM
I found this post this morning on E46 Fanatics (yes, it's THAT slow at work that I have time to browse E46F) about the expansion tanks made by Behr. Apparently at some point Behr moved their production to China and since then have made crap ET's with hit or miss quality.

Here is the thread, and is worth a read:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1059192

cakM3
11-26-2014, 07:04 AM
I only use BMW OEM parts when it comes to cooling system maintenance....

glad to hear you now have some time to "surf the net".... it adds to "quality work time" ;)

kayger12
11-26-2014, 07:05 AM
Good info

danewilson77
11-26-2014, 07:27 AM
Ugh

"No flamesuit required"

danewilson77
11-26-2014, 07:28 AM
Same with radiators?

"No flamesuit required"

kayger12
11-26-2014, 07:37 AM
Same with radiators?

"No flamesuit required"

I would bet

slater
11-26-2014, 07:38 AM
poop. i can't remember what i installed... i think it was a behr.

peter

ELCID86
11-26-2014, 07:52 AM
poop. i can't remember what i installed... i think it was a behr.

peter

Mine was. :-/

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

kayger12
11-26-2014, 07:53 AM
Just checked my records. Thankfully, I went genuine BMW.

az3579
11-26-2014, 08:20 AM
Same with radiators?

"No flamesuit required"

I don't know. Regardless, anything that uses plastic in the cooling system I'd go with Genuine BMW, regardless of who actually makes it. At least if it's an OE part then the quality can be guaranteed versus aftermarket. Even if Behr still makes the OE part, I'm still buying the OE part.

cakM3
11-26-2014, 08:22 AM
I refreshed my entire cooling system with OEM BMW parts (radiator, expansion tank, water pump, thermostat, and sensors) and Samco hoses this year...

One thing to point out....if you buy OEM BMW parts (from the dealer) keep your receipt because the parts are warranted for two years if purchased from the dealer. If a part fails within the two years, you will get a replacement from the dealer for free...

kayger12
11-26-2014, 08:31 AM
One thing to point out....if you buy OEM BMW parts (from the dealer) keep your receipt because the parts are warranted for two years if purchased from the dealer. If a part fails within the two years, you will get a replacement from the dealer for free...

Great info. Didn't know that.

BCS_ZHP
11-26-2014, 08:41 AM
And though it doesn't apply to your case Keith, it's a 2 year, unlimited mileage warranty on OEM parts bought from the dealer (excluding normal consumable items like tires, oil, wiper blades, etc.). BP should be all about rocking dealer supplied OEM parts since he does 40K per year.

cakM3
11-26-2014, 08:44 AM
And though it doesn't apply to your case Keith, it's a 2 year, unlimited mileage warranty on OEM parts bought from the dealer (excluding normal consumable items like tires, oil, wiper blades, etc.). BP should be all about rocking dealer supplied OEM parts since he does 40K per year.

+1
Exactly!

kayger12
11-26-2014, 08:54 AM

Great to know. Thanks gents.

az3579
11-26-2014, 09:06 AM
BP should be all about rocking dealer supplied OEM parts since he does 40K per year.

I run OE parts on anything that can leave me stranded. It's important to note the difference between OE and OEM.

OE is Genuine BMW. OEM is like VDO, Bosch, etc. (supplier made but still aftermarket).

The only exception to the rule for me right now is the VDO fuel pump I have, mainly because despite being an OEM part, it is identical to the OE part but with the BMW logo scratched off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cakM3
11-26-2014, 09:31 AM
I only use parts with the BMW logo..... learned the hard way that parts with the logo scratched off are not warranted by BMW...so that means I will purchase any major part directly from the dealer...

although on less critical parts such as corner/tail lights I do tend to favor the Asian makes for my ZHP.....;)

LivesNearCostco
11-26-2014, 09:53 AM
I just put a Behr radiator into my E36, to replace the 7-year-old Behr radiator that was in there. I think the new one was made in South Africa. I believe both my expansion tanks are genuine BMW--the ZHP one was from a local dealer. I had a Myele before that I suspected of leaking at the bottom where it mounts on the little platform.

My ZHP has a radiator of unknown aftermarket brand since the body shop bought it. I'll have to look for the "made in" label.

az3579
11-26-2014, 01:26 PM
I only use parts with the BMW logo..... learned the hard way that parts with the logo scratched off are not warranted by BMW...so that means I will purchase any major part directly from the dealer...

although on less critical parts such as corner/tail lights I do tend to favor the Asian makes for my ZHP.....;)

Considering I picked up my VDO pump from FCP Euro locally (about 15 minutes from my home) AND they carry a lifetime warranty on the parts they sell (even wear parts), I think they have BMW's warranty beat by far. ;)

https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee