PDA

View Full Version : Best fuel pump choice/preference?

brettbimmer
11-25-2014, 02:28 PM
I was just thinking about fuel pump failure concerns and was curious as to what you all think is the best option for the money in terms of a replacement fuel pump? Do we fork over the entire piggy bank and go for the actual BMW variant, or is the VDO version (probably OEM supplier) equally as good? I would imagine that many of the cheaper alternatives are probably junk, but open to everyone's thoughts and practical experience. Mine hasn't failed...yet, but thought that this would be an interesting discussion amongst the Mafioso and would be useful information for everyone.

NorCalZman
11-25-2014, 02:51 PM
http://www.bmaparts.com/SearchItem.epc?lookfor=123+06017+076&sub_but2.x=31&sub_but2.y=3&clientid=bmaparts.com&cookieID=47P0IEGR247V103MFQ&s_temp_transfer_key=_47V103MJM

coupon code SPECE30 for a small discount

Vas
11-25-2014, 05:52 PM
Was always curious as well.

az3579
11-25-2014, 05:56 PM
I was just thinking about fuel pump failure concerns and was curious as to what you all think is the best option for the money in terms of a replacement fuel pump? Do we fork over the entire piggy bank and go for the actual BMW variant, or is the VDO version (probably OEM supplier) equally as good? I would imagine that many of the cheaper alternatives are probably junk, but open to everyone's thoughts and practical experience. Mine hasn't failed...yet, but thought that this would be an interesting discussion amongst the Mafioso and would be useful information for everyone.

I have the VDO OEM replacement. It literally is the same thing as Genuine but with the BMW logo scratched off. I'm not kidding you. Unfortunately I didn't take any pics of that, or deleted it if I did.

Personally I wouldn't hesitate getting the VDO one again if I had to. VDO is the supplier for the OE part.

NorCalZman
11-25-2014, 06:01 PM
^^ and just to add what he said, the link I provided is the Simmens/VDO pump. It seems to be what everyone on the various forums is using when it comes time to replace their pumps.

danewilson77
11-25-2014, 07:47 PM
I have the VDO OEM replacement. It literally is the same thing as Genuine but with the BMW logo scratched off. I'm not kidding you. Unfortunately I didn't take any pics of that, or deleted it if I did.

Personally I wouldn't hesitate getting the VDO one again if I had to. VDO is the supplier for the OE part.
I have VDO as well.

"No flamesuit required"

OtterEffect
11-25-2014, 11:49 PM
I too have a VDO fuel pump (http://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW_Fuel_Pump_Assembly_OEM_p/16146766942.htm). Really fast shipping from OEMbimmerparts.com and the costumer service was phenomenal.

az3579
11-26-2014, 04:17 AM
Forgot to mention,
Since I drive so damn much, you can probably get an accurate lifespan report on the VDO OEM part in about 4 years when I have about 120-160k on the pump. So far have almost 20k on it and no issues so far!

Johnmadd
11-26-2014, 07:06 AM
Believe I have Bosch.

brettbimmer
11-26-2014, 09:36 AM
Thanks all for the feedback and thoughts.

Appreciate the link to BMA parts - good pricing!!

BP, I believe that I have you beat - still running OEM (VDO?) in my E36...at 272,500 miles. Starting to get concerned that it has never been changed that I can remember or tell from my stack of records! Also, I think that you just wanted some extra weight savings for the track so you felt that it would be good to remove the roundel from the pump. ;) ;)

cakM3
11-26-2014, 09:44 AM
Nice Brett ;) I like my fuel pumps to have the BMW Roundel on them.....

brettbimmer
11-26-2014, 10:36 AM
Nice Brett ;) I like my fuel pumps to have the BMW Roundel on them.....

Haha, apparently this weight savings is BP's secret weapon!! :biggrin:biggrin

ZHPRegistry.net
11-26-2014, 10:47 AM
I have the URO pump, only because I needed one in a pinch and it was the only one available locally. Of course being OCD just like everyone else on this forum I intended to replace it with OEM/VDO. It has been a year and it's been running fine. It made through the last harsh winter with no issues.