PDA

View Full Version : Best Tint for the ZHP!

SoDelBMW
10-15-2014, 12:51 PM
Alright I've been thinking about getting a sweet tint on the car but I have no idea what crosses the line at too dark. Can everyone post a picture of your car and the percent tint it is? That would help me choose.

Thanks, Mason

BimmerWill
10-15-2014, 01:23 PM
This is 22% all around. Legal limit is 35% in my state but a lot of it depends on the mentality of the police force you're dealing with. If you are respectful and roll down all your windows if you do happen to get pulled over they will feel more comfortable approaching the vehicle. I've been pulled over about 5 times since I've had it put on about 5 years ago and have yet to have them say anything to me about it.

Anything darker makes it difficult to see out at night IMO.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/15/5ff19c3ffcabe9eb9d6aa40d674d4dfb.jpg

theothersawyer
10-15-2014, 01:29 PM
Pictures are going to be hard to tell, because of a number of factors that would go into perceived darkness. If it is cloudy outside or the sun is starting to go down, the windows may look darker. Or if the car has a black interior the windows will look darker than that of one with a Natural Brown interior.

What are the laws in your state? Are there tint laws? In Georgia the legal limit is 32%, I have yet to get my ZHP tinted but when I do I will be getting 35% done.

SoDelBMW
10-15-2014, 02:09 PM
Pictures are going to be hard to tell, because of a number of factors that would go into perceived darkness. If it is cloudy outside or the sun is starting to go down, the windows may look darker. Or if the car has a black interior the windows will look darker than that of one with a Natural Brown interior.

What are the laws in your state? Are there tint laws? In Georgia the legal limit is 32%, I have yet to get my ZHP tinted but when I do I will be getting 35% done.

HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN DELAWARE?
Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Delaware, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.
Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used

Heres the law in Delaware so I can't go any darker than 30%?

Johnmadd
10-15-2014, 02:37 PM

I agree with everything here ^. I would get 35 all around. I've been pulled twice in 2 years for tint and the officer has told me to go a little more lighter than just the legal limit because windows already deflect a slight amount of light, so if you get 30 up front and they put a meter on your window it may show up as 32 percent. I would definitely go 35 all around. You saw my car at bimmerfest but I'll show a pic still, and pictures are hard to tell like Theo said.

35 up front and 20 rear and back :shifty

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc407/johnmadd1979/20140122_083127.jpg (http://s1210.photobucket.com/user/johnmadd1979/media/20140122_083127.jpg.html)

az3579
10-15-2014, 02:59 PM
Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Delaware, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.
WindshieldNon-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.
Front Side WindowsMust allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side WindowsAny darkness can be used.
Rear WindowAny darkness can be used

If I'm reading that correctly, you can't go darker than 70% on the front windows. Rear windows are unrestricted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theothersawyer
10-15-2014, 03:14 PM
I agree with everything here ^. I would get 35 all around. I've been pulled twice in 2 years for tint and the officer has told me to go a little more lighter than just the legal limit because windows already deflect a slight amount of light, so if you get 30 up front and they put a meter on your window it may show up as 32 percent. I would definitely go 35 all around. You saw my car at bimmerfest but I'll show a pic still, and pictures are hard to tell like Theo said.

35 up front and 20 rear and back :shifty

Yeah, Georgia allows a 3% variance, so you could register as low as 29% and be okay. The local police department doesn't have a two way reader so they can't read the tint on the back window. So I may do the same and go 20% in the rear.

SoDelBMW
10-15-2014, 04:52 PM
Im not too worried about getting pulled over for an illegal tint because a couple of my friends have doctors notes saying they get headaches or migraines so it legalizes it for them so if i get one of those I'm good. I just don't want my car looking ridiculously black considering that its already black, and since i have a couple would it make sense for me to do the small back windows the same or darker?

Johnmadd
10-15-2014, 05:07 PM
You can opt for smoke tint, it looks best in 50% imo.

danewilson77
10-15-2014, 05:36 PM
I'm a 35% all around guy.

No flame suit required!

coby1
10-15-2014, 05:52 PM
50% Huper (60% on windshield lol)

mbeckel
10-15-2014, 06:25 PM
I'm at 15% all around

mLuMaN83
10-15-2014, 07:12 PM
25% all the way around. Gotta keep it clean and legal. My pics make it look more like 20%.

I have never been pulled over for tint in my life. I find it amazing that I hear so many stories of people being pulled for tint. I also had 15% on my Tiburon, never pulled, and that Tib was MODDED!

ELCID86
10-15-2014, 07:14 PM
Really hard to tell from pics due to angle light thru windshield, etc.

35% all

35%

50% front, 35% rears (I recommend going the same all around)

None/35%

None on Daniel's and 35% on mine.

35%

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Stigissimo
10-15-2014, 07:15 PM
No tint ;)

theothersawyer
10-15-2014, 07:51 PM
This thread is making me really want my windows tinted! Too bad my friend that does it is super busy! I won't let anyone else touch my car either, so I guess I'll be waiting! :(

KevinC
10-15-2014, 07:59 PM
Here in AZ, the law is 35%, but NOBODY enforces it, with the crazy desert heat we have. You can pretty much go as dark as you want. No front plate here either, and no "safety inspection" BS that a lot of east coast states have. Just a half-assed smog check every 2 years, after the car is 4 years old. They don't even use the sniffer any more.

That said - I wouldn't go any darker than 35%, and only that dark if you have heat issues where you live. Stock or 50% in more sane climates is what I would do.

johnrando
10-16-2014, 12:33 PM
I did 35% all around (not windshield). It's tint but not dark enough to get attention. 30% cld have also worked for me but I didn't want darker plus wanted to easily see at night. For me, anything darker would have gone past my criteria but I can see why people do it, especially in hotter climates. Also, with a black car/black interior, it probably looks darker.

NorCalZman
10-16-2014, 12:35 PM
No tint ;)

I am just a shade under you. :P 90% all around. I wanted the heat/UV benefits without the darkness. The new 3M Crystalline tint allows for that.

Simmsled
10-16-2014, 01:03 PM
40% ceramic tint... nothing on windshield
http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l434/Simmsled/Matt_Tint_ZHP.jpg?t=1413493378

BCS_ZHP
10-16-2014, 06:39 PM
Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used

Talk with your tint shop. 30-35% tint normally means if only allows 30-35% of the ambient sunlight in. It appears to be "legal" in Delaware you'd need 70% tint on the front windows and wherever you want on the rear & back sides. The VA state troopers have a tint measuring devise and they love using/demonstrating it.

Tnhl1989
10-17-2014, 02:52 AM
Well funny thing is that I got pulled over the other day. I had my tints measured at my last inspection and they said it was at 38% which is legal. Massachusetts limit is 35%. I owned this car for about 2 years and tints has been on the car since purchased. I went through the easy lane pass and saw a trooper to my right. I had a feeling he was going to pull me over. About 5 miles after he did and I rolled my window down once he got to my window. I asked what he was pulling me over for. He stated that he thought my tint was too dark from when I pass through the easy pass lane however it looked fine when he came close to the car. I explained to him it was measured to 38% when the inspector test it a few months back. Even the inspector thought it was too dark then as well. Either way it was my first warning in a long time and I was surprise I didnt get any tickets.

az3579
10-17-2014, 03:29 AM
Either way it was my first warning in a long time and I was surprise I didnt get any tickets.

I don't think that can be considered a warning. You did nothing wrong; your tints are legal, so... technically... you haven't gotten any warnings in "a long time". :biggrin

cakM3
10-17-2014, 04:47 AM
I don't think that can be considered a warning. You did nothing wrong; your tints are legal, so... technically... you haven't gotten any warnings in "a long time". :biggrin

+1

I have 35% on my side and rear windows for both cars....

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/M3/ICONZ%20Lip/_DSC6354_zps25896c3c.jpg

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/M3/ICONZ%20Lip/_DSC6338_zps1e91cc71.jpg

With the side and rear windows tinted 35% the front windshield looks like this although it only has factory tint on it...
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/M3/ICONZ%20Lip/_DSC6290_zps8cdb1dd9.jpg

Here is how my ZHP looks with 35% window tint...
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/ZHP/DSC_0049-1.jpg

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/ZHP/DSC_0053.jpg

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/ZHP/DSC_0036.jpg

I say 35% is just dark enough to provide good contrast to the car's paint yet not too much that you will get pulled over all the time by the police. Up here in Rhode Island, window tint is illegal and even though I get looked over a lot by the LEO's, I usually don't get pulled over just for window tint...

ELCID86
10-17-2014, 07:39 AM
I don't know that heat is a big deal for you Yankees (grin), but ceramic tint can help with that. I got it on my red car.

cakM3
10-17-2014, 07:59 AM
I don't know that heat is a big deal for you Yankees (grin), but ceramic tint can help with that. I got it on my red car.

I went with ceramic tint on my car as well :thumbsup

az3579
10-17-2014, 08:13 AM
Personally I'm a big fan of clear tints, ones that don't darken the window much (if at all); you get the UV protection and still be able to show off your interior. Let's not forget that option. :thumbsup

johnrando
10-17-2014, 09:04 AM
Pic of my tint, likely looks darker due to time of day.

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc481/johnrando/BMWJune.jpg (http://s1214.photobucket.com/user/johnrando/media/BMWJune.jpg.html)

NoVAphotog
10-17-2014, 09:07 AM
Personally I'm a big fan of clear tints, ones that don't darken the window much (if at all); you get the UV protection and still be able to show off your interior. Let's not forget that option. :thumbsup

+1

I might do 80 or 50% all around next spring. But we'll see. I do like the 35% look though...I guess I'm 100% 50/50 on both. :rofl

JupiterBMW
10-17-2014, 01:54 PM
First things first, can I ask one question... Why do some people refer to it as "tints"... I'm sorry, that just sounds silly to me. I prefer the singular version of the word, but that's just me. Not bashing, just curious.

Anyway, more importantly than percentage... And most importantly about percentage... More importantly than percentage is material and quality. And most importantly about percentage, don't waste your time asking for pics. No two pics will look the same due to external lighting, time of day, weather conditions, etc etc...

Your best bet is to go to your local tint shop (or even better, go to a few and choose the one you want to work with) and ask to look at samples. They will have pieces of glass already tinted so that you can look at them and compare them first hand. This is best as you can look THROUGH them and get a feeling for what you prefer. You try on sunglasses right..? This is the same thing.

Personally, I recommend a ceramic tint as it has no effect on cellular reception (like metallic) and it has great heat rejection properties. There are some other more exotic materials out there, but more importantly, you want a quality install. Amazing material does NOTHING if the install sucks. And frankly, I haven't seen any of the more exotic materials prove to be THAT much better to demand the cost.

That being said, I install Llumar FormulaOne Pinnacle on ALL of our cars. The material has a transferrable lifetime warranty for as long as Llumar is in business, and can be serviced anywhere as long as the shop is an authorized FormulaOne dealer. The heat rejection is excellent, and the film looks great. I went with 30% on all vehicles, side and back windows. On the windshield I install Llumar AirBlue 80. It is essentially clear, but has just a slight shade to it. Although, the heat rejection is excellent. I have many pics of our different cars that all show differently. My sig pic of the X5 shows it, but it looks MUCH darker in the pic than real life. Look around for pics of my ZHP and you will see the same tint there.

Also, a quality install of the film I mentioned above should be about $200-250 depending on where you live. Good luck.

johnrando
10-17-2014, 02:57 PM
All valid points. I chose ceramic and used a high end installer

HockeyGoon
10-21-2014, 03:40 AM
I don't know how it looks on a zhp but I was considering air blue 80 for my tint.

Washburn
10-22-2014, 12:48 AM
Llumar metallic 40% side and back - nothing on windshield. Very happy with look and function.
(Might add AIR80 clear "tint" to the windshield someday just to keep heat out some more; wife's Mazda 6 has it and it def. is cooler inside than mine on very hot days)

As you can see pics are quite useless and looks darker than it really is (I have all black interior )
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/22/9d807f626bdf636f16227595936bb0f9.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/22/2e0883d9e31d8b81faa0b319d5b0a287.jpg

Sent from my NOT bent iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Romulan
10-22-2014, 04:48 PM
I used to have 35% all the way around. After a month I had a change of heart - feelings of the tint being too thuggish or juvenile. I missed the classy blue OEM tint and decided to take everything off.

No doubt window tint protects the interior. Just not my cup of tea.

Anyways, this is what 35% looks like on graphite when I had it..sorry for shit quality
http://s12.postimg.org/q483c2ihl/unnamed_5.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/q483c2ihl/)

JupiterBMW
10-22-2014, 04:56 PM
I don't know how it looks on a zhp but I was considering air blue 80 for my tint.

You honestly wouldn't notice it at all. The heat and UV rejection would be excellent though. If you don't like or don't care for the tinted "look", then definitely go for the AirBlue. Its a little pricier than most other tint, but its worth it.

On our X5, we have the factory "privacy glass" on all of the back windows, but I went and did the AirBlue 80 on all windows in the back anyway (as well as the windshield) just because it keeps the heat out so much better. :thumbsup

mbeckel
10-22-2014, 06:24 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/22/30e80509ac016c51570d8a4179be3ac3.jpg

A shot of my 15% thuggish tint.

NorCalZman
10-22-2014, 09:33 PM
I used to have 35% all the way around. After a month I had a change of heart - feelings of the tint being too thuggish or juvenile. I missed the classy blue OEM tint and decided to take everything off.

I felt the same way about darker tint. Then I found out about clear tints. UV and heat rejection without the darkness. I had 3M Crystalline 90% put on all the car's glass. Jon used something similar: Llumar AirBlue 80. So you have a few options for "clear" tint.

Romulan
10-22-2014, 11:12 PM
A shot of my 15% thuggish tint.

It looks really good and coordinates well with the rest of the car and on Imola. +1

johnrando
10-24-2014, 08:33 AM

Anyways, this is what 35% looks like on graphite when I had it..sorry for shit quality
http://s12.postimg.org/q483c2ihl/unnamed_5.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/q483c2ihl/)

Totally get that. Funny, but one of the reasons I went with 35% was that I felt it really balanced out between nice looking, useful tint but not over the top.

ELCID86
10-24-2014, 10:55 AM
Totally get that. Funny, but one of the reasons I went with 35% was that I felt it really balanced out between nice looking, useful tint but not over the top.
ditto

pilotnick1203
11-03-2014, 03:45 PM
Straight black #ghettotint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DDub88
11-08-2014, 04:28 AM

My old ZHP had the reflective tints at around 32 percent.

Oli77
11-08-2014, 05:47 AM
Do you guys know if seasons and ambient temperature has an impact on tint application quality?

Is it better to have car tinted in summer or winter or it doesn't matter?

M0nk3y
11-08-2014, 07:39 AM
Do you guys know if seasons and ambient temperature has an impact on tint application quality?

Is it better to have car tinted in summer or winter or it doesn't matter?

Not really, winter application will lead to a longer cure time

Oli77
11-08-2014, 08:18 AM
Good to know. Thanks!

poke08
11-08-2014, 08:45 AM
I went with 30% all around but I think it might be a little too light for my taste. The rear windows have the sunshades up so they look a bit darker. Sunroof is closed. 16393

BoostedZHP
01-08-2015, 10:56 PM
Absolutely get 15 or 20%. Looks by far the best IMO and gives it a nice feel inside. The legal limit in Tn is 35% and I've had 15% on almost all my cars and have never had an issue, despite being pulled over numerous times. As was mentioned, roll down your windows when you're pulled over to make the officer feel more comfortable. Also keeping the sunroof shade opened helps let a little more light in.

NoVAphotog
01-09-2015, 04:38 AM
Not really, winter application will lead to a longer cure time
Also less chance for accidentally rolling down the window...no one's touching that button when it's - 1.

ELCID86
01-09-2015, 08:47 AM
I went with 30% all around but I think it might be a little too light for my taste. The rear windows have the sunshades up so they look a bit darker. Sunroof is closed.
I like it.

BADCLOWN
01-09-2015, 11:19 AM
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8113/15597507187_5047407115_z.jpg

limo tint. can't see in it during the day unless you press your mug up to the glass and at night you definitely can't see inside. during the day i have no visibility issues and at night i really don't either except when backing up.

NoVAphotog
01-09-2015, 11:46 AM
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8113/15597507187_5047407115_z.jpg

limo tint. can't see in it during the day unless you press your mug up to the glass and at night you definitely can't see inside. during the day i have no visibility issues and at night i really don't either except when backing up.

I would get pulled over the SECOND I left the tint shop with that here in Fairfax.

BADCLOWN
01-09-2015, 12:22 PM
LE locally doesn't pull over people for tint often if at all. I've had dark tint on all my cars since I was 16 and never been pulled over for it.

Reason I have it dark is for excessive privacy. I'm a deputy sheriff and don't want people seeing me when I'm off duty. Yes, it's a huge contradiction and I'm breaking the law but it's worth the risk and avoiding a confrontation with someone I may have come in contact with while on the job.

SoDelBMW
01-11-2015, 06:51 PM
Does it matter what kind of tint you get? The closest shop to me does Llumar Platinum Plus, is that good material?

[USMC]Skywalker
01-11-2015, 10:18 PM
I get the 3M non-metallic. I heard lumar is good make sure you get the non-metallic ones. they might be expensive but wont turn blueish, they wont interrupt radio and other signals, and 3m has a life time warranty. I have had 3m for years and never had an issue.

gammagoblin
01-12-2015, 07:33 AM
+1 for something 3M (non metallic). Basically get the best place to put on the highest quality tint. All things considered it doesn't cost that much and will last years without bubling or purpling.

Also +1 for 35%. Mine is technically illegal but never had any issues, including on state inspection (which I did have a problem with in MD).

ELCID86
01-12-2015, 10:46 AM
Skywalker;410398']I get the 3M non-metallic. I heard lumar is good make sure you get the non-metallic ones. they might be expensive but wont turn blueish, they wont interrupt radio and other signals, and 3m has a life time warranty. I have had 3m for years and never had an issue.

+1 for something 3M (non metallic). ...

I like this! I start with them in a few weeks (not in this sector though). I doubt that I'll get the employee discount on tint. ;-]

squashman702
01-12-2015, 04:20 PM
What's a fair price for getting everything but the windshield done? Looking to do 35% on my Imola.

johnrando
01-12-2015, 08:14 PM
Depends on where you live. Good quality ceramic w/lifetime warranty is around $200

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BADCLOWN
01-13-2015, 01:40 AM
I've heard ceramic is the better option, pricey but worth it.

ELCID86
01-13-2015, 05:46 AM
It was $180-220 here.

Vas
01-13-2015, 06:09 AM
I need to make a trip to where Shawn is and get both of my cars tinted in the spring.

ELCID86
01-13-2015, 09:38 AM
I need to make a trip to where Shawn is and get both of my cars tinted in the spring.

Come on over. Bruce just got his Xi done here.