PDA

View Full Version : The E46 Love Affair (What's Your Story?)

mLuMaN83
10-07-2014, 08:30 PM
I remember my first love affair with the E46.

It was winter of 2002. I was a junior in high school and I stopped into my local BMW dealer to drool. They had a Tiag M3 with a CSL boot and CSL wheels sitting on the showroom floor. I vividly remember opening the door and sitting in the drivers seat. I made all the adjustments for the seat and mirrors and I was in awe at how ergonomic the car felt. It was a dream. As my buddy, who I am still friends with to this day, was sitting in the passenger seat, I looked over and said, "I will own one of these one day."

Year after year I always took a double take when seeing any E46 on the road. It just seemed so perfect. I had a Hyundai Tiburon V6 which I supercharged and drove this for years but had grown very tired of it.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s268/mluman83/tiburonbz1-1.jpg (http://s154.photobucket.com/user/mluman83/media/tiburonbz1-1.jpg.html)

A trucker just so happened to spin me out by hitting my quarter panel and flipping the Tiburon 3 times. I walked away.

I received my insurance money and saw this as the perfect opportunity to finally make the investment into an E46. So I did.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s268/mluman83/c09f66b1.jpg (http://s154.photobucket.com/user/mluman83/media/c09f66b1.jpg.html)

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s268/mluman83/b88d77ac.jpg (http://s154.photobucket.com/user/mluman83/media/b88d77ac.jpg.html)

Still in love and no signs of a break up. My buddy and I went fishing a few weeks back and he was once again sitting in the passenger seat of a Tiag E46 with CSL wheels and says, "Well, you got your BMW." Put a smile on my face. Blood, sweat, and a few tears and I love it more than the day I got it. 160k on the clock and feels just brilliant.

What's your story? Why did you buy an E46? The members of the Mafia always have a great story to tell.

mLuMaN83
10-08-2014, 03:34 AM
This also may be best in the members only section.

cakM3
10-08-2014, 03:52 AM
Awesome story Mike! That Tiburon you had looked like an awesome car with all the work you put into her....that wreck though.....amazing that you were able to walk away from that after the accident....

mLuMaN83
10-08-2014, 05:02 AM
Awesome story Mike! That Tiburon you had looked like an awesome car with all the work you put into her....that wreck though.....amazing that you were able to walk away from that after the accident....

Yeah it was a fun car, but I was over the MPG I was getting and I was tired of this being my DD.

Where's your story, brah!?

cakM3
10-08-2014, 06:56 AM
Yeah it was a fun car, but I was over the MPG I was getting and I was tired of this being my DD.

Where's your story, brah!?

I'm at work right now so when I get home this afternoon I'll post my "BMW" story Mike ;)

Edit: Okay I got some dead time.....

My BMW E46 love affiar started about 10 years ago when a friend of mine asked me to help him detail his Japanrot 323i. He let me take his car out for a spin afterwards and I was immediately hooked by how much that car pulled all the way to red line. At the time I was a Porsche 944 owner. I ended up selling my Porsche because of an impending divorce (yeah....shit happens), and found myself looking for another car. I remembered the time I drove my friend's BMW and now the same friend happens to have a '99 323i Japanrot with black leather interior for sale. Interesting how he happens to have his BMW for sale after finding out I sold my Porsche....coinsidence perhaps? At first glance the E46 lines didn't appeal to me like the E36 lines but as soon as I sat inside, looked around and drove his car.... I was immediately hooked on the E46 (never looked back). I figured I would spend part of every day inside the car while driving it and I realized just how important the interior, as well as the exterior, had to be. To me after taking the time to look over my friend's 323i inside and out....I realized that I really loved the E46 as a complete package so I bought his 323i without doing any research. As I got accustomed to driving the 323i, another opportunity presented itself all because the same friend who sold me his 323i asked me to stop by the BMW dealer by my work to check out a vert he was interested in.

I obliged and stopped at the dealer and I see my ///M parked out back waiting to be sent to auction. I looked at the ///M and asked the salesman if I could test drive it and he responded with yes. Well...after a few test drives, I was really hooked by the raw power the ///M had and ended up adding this car to my stable as well. My addiction with my ///M continued and I ended up selling the 323i and daily driving the ///M for a year until my ZHP came into my radar.... As much fun as I had daily driving my ///M I realized just how much I missed having a sedan in my stable and ended up purchasing my ZHP so all would be good in Charrie's BMW world again.....

As all of you know, I am crazy about both of my cars as my project threads show.... my passion for all things E46 BMW continue to grow and meeting like-minded people only makes my BMW ownership that much more special to me. :thumbsup

Looking back in retrospect.... the two BMWs I initially purchased (my 323i and ///M) I never did a PPI on them prior to purchasing. The 323i ended up having the rear subframe tear but BMW of Newport did the repairs under factory warranty before the class action lawsuit came out... this dealer did take good care of me for sure! :thumbsup Regarding the ///M... the same dealer (where I purchased my ///M from) researched the car's history for me free of charge before I signed the papers taking custody of the car. They verified and showed me that my ///M had a very good maintenance history as well as the rear subframe reinforcement. So all in all, I have been very lucky in the purchases of my first two BMWs. The ZHP however didn't come with adequate maintenance history even though it was owned by a BMW mechanic. At the time of purchase I was looking for a project car that I could restore in my good time and my ZHP fit the bill....it continues to be an evolutionary project as I continue to work it closer to ZHP perfection :) I have to admit that my two current rides get the look every day I drive them and I even get offers on my ZHP but I will never sell either of them. It's been a lot of fun modding both cars and I know that I will continue modding until the day I die... all I can say is that my daughter is one lucky girl....she will get everything when I leave this world...;) But that won't be for a long time if I can have anything to do about that ;)

fredo
10-08-2014, 07:02 AM
Back in 2005 I was looking for an e46 within my $10,000 budget. I was lucky to find a 1999 323i locally (Chevrolet dealer) and went to check it out.

I remember the test drive: the salesman handed me the remote key. Since I was not familiar with the buttons, I opened the car using the key itself. Man, the driver's seat moved and adjusted by itself ! That was the best first impression ever.

At the end, I paid $9,700 out-the-door. :biggrin

johnrando
10-08-2014, 07:18 AM
Great story Mike! And that Tiburon looked like a very nice car. My story isn't as dramatic.

Always liked the looks and the idea of BMW 2002s and such, and finally rode in a friends 4-cyl 320... my first BMW ride...and I hated it. It was dog (so slow) with NO features and at that time (80s), the Japanese cars were absolutely loaded with cool stuff. Fast forward to later models, and I rode in my 2nd BMW, this time a 5 series and loved it... it was like butter. So smooth and quick. So, then I always kept BMW in the back of my mind. I eventually bought a 94 535, but I wanted more. I had always subscribed to Car and Driver and lusted after the "3 series" after they continually raved about them. I specifically remember the article introducing the ZHP. So, X years later, needed a new car, wanting a vert, I checked prices and realized the BMWs were in my range. So in '09 I set out to find a the perfect BMW (looking for the ZHP) or a Porsche. The second I saw my black ZHP vert on the dealer lot CPO (no way I could afford those brand new), I was blown away at how beautiful it was. Plus it had everything I wanted. A great looking, performance oriented vert. They will have to pry this car from my cold dead hands.

TheFinanceGuy
10-08-2014, 08:52 AM
I actually came to love the e46 is rather different way. I set out to purchase a fun toy car to take on my 1.5 hour long commute to this new job I got back in 2011. I was looking for a Porsche 944 in Guards Red, had to be 85.5+. Found a few in my price range, was all set to take an 88, cash in hand- seller couldn't find ANY paperwork that she promised she had. I dropped the price A LOT to account for that. No deal...

Burned and rather upset, I proposed the idea of a 'vert to my wife. She didn't really care, so I bought a 96 318 vert that weekend. I've always loved the e36 lines over the e46.

Had my first child, and the vert had to go. I really wanted to get into the e46 model. I looked at a few base models a long with a green 325. I was about the pull the trigger, when I found my Hellrot 328 for a rock bottom price. Purchased. PHEW I thought. Didn't care for that front end on the e46 anyway!

Well, as time went on, and I spent more time at the shop hanging around over e46's, and silver-grey ZHP rolled in and was put on the lift. This was about a year ago. I LOVED IT.
I actually tried to buy it from the guy- but he said "nopenopenopenope"

That did it, the hunt was on for ZHP e46. The only e46 I've ever liked. I have to say, I'm a sedan guy (and 'vert). I love the ///M, but it needs two extra doors :)

I actually bought my Imola ZHP from NY. Made the deal over the phone with only seeing pictures. I actually saw it from a FS post that Shawn posted up.

So, my story is one of hate for the e46, but turned to loved of the ZHP. Also, I did finally get my 944, but a few years later. There was also a 540 in there too... Fun car, but too large for my taste.

theothersawyer
10-08-2014, 10:04 AM
I've been daily driving a Miata for the last 4 years. For the past 3 years that has included a 105 mile round trip to school. The Miata is a great car, but it can also be rather cramped, especially when I'm 6'2''. So I have been saving for a daily driver for a while. I've been going to engineering school full time and working 30-35 hrs/week.

I have always liked the look of the E46's, but didn't realize the non-M cars have come down so much in price. I was originally looking at getting a Fiesta ST or a WRX. I happened to search autotrader for E46 M3's for fun, but then decided to look for non-M's. Came across a gorgeous and meticulously maintained ZHP and just had to get it.

I emailed the owner and someone had contacted him before me. I was all sad that the car was sold. I was dead set on getting this car, but it was gone! UNTIL....the next day I get an email saying that it was back up for sale and I was next in line! A few days later, the car was mine! :D

slater
10-08-2014, 10:42 AM
i have always loved BMWs but had driven hondas (integra type r, etc), a few VWs (i had a sweet sweet sweet '93 corrado VR6 that i never should have sold!), and a lot of audis over the last 20 years. always wanted a BMW throughout that period, and really, should have bought one by now. anyway. i remember seeing a picture somewhere of a ZHP sedan, maybe 6-7 years ago, and i LOVED it - everything about the design and execution jived with my car needs/wants (sedan being key).

anyway, FFWD to february and i was browsing the local online car classifieds and my black ZHP popped up - bad pics, lousy ad, no details - but from the bad pics i could kinda make out that it MIGHT be a ZHP - so i contacted the owner, got more pics, got the VIN (which confirmed it was ZHP), and a few days later, made a deal and drove it home... i had intended to fix the needed items and resell right away, but that 2hr drive home really clicked for me. and 6 weeks later i brought my imolarot sedan home. :) and a few months later, my audi was gone... and now the coupe is ready to sell.

i love my sedan. best car i've had.

peter

mLuMaN83
10-08-2014, 03:55 PM
Some great stories so far!

Bird-Dog
10-09-2014, 10:28 AM
My e46 story really starts way back in 1976. My big brother was a few of years out of college and finally making decent money of his own, ready to buy his first new car for himself and aiming for something euro. He knew I was into cars (at the time I was driving an oh-so-fun little Triumph Spitfire), so he asked me to go car shopping with him. By then he'd narrowed it down to either a BMW 2002 or some iteration of the Volvo 240 that his pseudo-hippie friend had recommended. The Volvo was a complete dud, and we both fell instantly in love with the Bimmer. I told him to get the 2002tii, but he thought it was stretching his budget and bought a silver base 2002. He still owns that car to this day (garage queen)... and he still regrets not listening to me about the tii.

Anyway, I remained a BMW fan and eventually owned a few myself... including a ragged out 2002 I had to ditch and a decent e12 528i that didn't quite live up to it's "ultimate driver's car" billing. And, I followed the development of the 3-series from afar, at first disappointed with the e21, lamenting the discontinuation of the 2002, but gaining interest with the advent of the e30. I almost bought one then, but regrettably had to get something bigger for work to haul salesman's samples all around the Southeast.

Just missed on the e36, too. In '96 I was replacing a Miata R that the shop it was in with for a new top had totaled while on an unauthorized joyride, supposedly to pick-up parts (long story). The Miata was a weekend car, and I looked to replace both it and my DD company car with a 4-seat convertible (by then with a family and having graduated from road-warrior status). I'd have jumped on a new e36 manual 328i vert, but alas, my business partners wanted to keep the budget down to a 323i and my wife insisted on an automatic for times we had to swap cars (her with a mini-van I occasionally needed for hauling capacity). The 323i just wasn't up to my performance expectations, especially with an auto pushing the added weight of the convertible. So, I passed.

Over the years I did own a succession of other fun cars, from the Spitfire I mentioned, to an Alfa GTV, a Z28, 280z, XR4ti, a couple of Miatas, and more.

Finally though, in 2005 I got my first 3-series BMW (and my first e46)... a 2001 convertible 325Ci CPO car. Once again, budget dictated against the bigger engine, and certainly against buying new in this class. But, I did love that 325. Its straight-6 was by far the silkiest, smoothest running engine I'd ever driven... and once it spun the RPM's up its performance wasn't bad - even for a heavy vert with a slushbox.

I drove that 325 for several years - in fact, several years beyond the financing. I did lust for more power, yet I was glad not to have a monthly car payment once it was paid off. And so, I happily kept it years longer than any other car I'd owned before it.

And then my opportunity for an upgrade presented itself. A good bit of found-money appeared unexpectedly. My initial reaction was either to make a downpayment on a new e92 or buy a used e46 M3. The more research I did the more I kept coming back to not only the e46 330, but the ZHP package. The e92 was going to come with built in payments, so not really what I wanted to do... and looking at reports of M3 maintenance & insurance costs kinda scared me, not to mention the buy-in price for a good one.

So, I decided to hunt for a ZHP, and with that for once my budget was not going to demand a lot of compromises. After a few disappointing attempts locally, I found a really good '04 ZHP vert online only a couple of states over with decent miles (67k) in my #1 color choice (OB/NB). It was not the cheapest one I saw, nor the most expensive. But, the condition was impressive from what I could see from the photos. I talked to the owner over the phone and made a contingency deal, with plans to come see it a few days later. I immediately put the 325 up on craigslist and sold it two days later. The very next day I rented a car and drove up to see "my" ZHP. It was even better than I expected, so I shelled out the cash I'd gotten for the 325 plus about $6K more out-of-pocket. Worth every penny and I have not regretted the decision for one single minute. It's a blast to drive, still very familiar feeling after years int he 325 (but better!), and frankly, my 10-year old "eccentricity" is a lot more interesting than the late-model 3 & 5 series that make up the bulk of my close friends' rides (new BMW's are by far the top choice of suburban dads around my relatively affluent neck of the woods!)... and I'm the only one sporting a pink-slip!

So, there you have it... well, almost. My 17-year old son is approaching the time to replace his "disposable" starter car (Acura RSX), at least within the next year. I do appreciate the desire for a cool car at that age (well, okay, at my age too), so I gave him a list of likely choices in about the $8K-9K range we can shop for when the time comes - including an Infiniti G35 coupe, Mustang (though probably previous gen), Lexus IS300, mid-2000's Pontiac GTO revival, and, of course, BMW e46. Surprised at that age he didn't go for the GTO or Mustang with a big V8, without hesitation he says the BMW is his top choice... "But Dad, can we try to find a ZHP?" Hmm... sedan, coupe or convertible?

fantinno
10-09-2014, 09:40 PM
I grew up in a mainly German Auto household. Lots of air + water cooled VWs throughout my childhood, and a few different vintages of Benz's (60s and 80s). I continued the tradition with a series of Golfs and GTIs... Mk2, Mk3, Mk4. The Mk4 began my love of coupes, I had always been a 5-door guy before that. It also began my love of six cylinders (VR6 FTW) and working on my own car. I poured a lot of work into that car and I loved it.

A few years later I was looking for a Mk1 project car, but a really stellar deal on a 72' 2002 came up and I decided that would be a more interesting car to work on. Oddly no one in my family had ever owned a BMW, but it just felt like the right car for me. The 02 is still my project, but it really ignited a strong attraction to the world of BMWs for me. Around the same time, one of my better car friends sold his VW for an E30 and this really cemented my love for BMWs... RWD, excellent handling, great ergonomics and style. What more can one ask for?!

Once I graduated from 7 years of working full time and going to college I got my first "adult" job. A little voice in the back of my head started telling me I should think about parting ways with my GTI for a BMW. I really liked the E46 body lines, especially post-facelift coupes. For being a decade old, I thought the body style was aging very gracefully and honestly looked better to me than E90s. I was casually looking for a nice 330ci, but it wasn't really on my priority list.

As luck would have it, a brand new Mercedes ended my beloved GTI in a rear-ender (totaled the Benz at least, lol). I was now officially on the market for a 330ci! Fortunately/unfortunately, another of my good friends made me aware of ZHPs. I test drove an overpriced, high mileage ZHP at a sketchy used car lot. I knew that car was a dud, but I quickly realized no other 330ci would satisfy me.

A week after I got paid out for my GTI, the beautiful silbergrau in my sig came on the market with only 35,000 miles and a single owner! The second I test drove it, I knew it was meant to be. It was perfect! I've had it for about six months now, lowered it, put new wheels on and I've loved every minute of driving it. Iy never fails to bring a smile to my face. I honestly can't ever see myself driving anything else as a daily now. I've tried to keep the mods to a minimum, focusing on the 02 as my crazy project build. Although I miss things about my GTI, the BMW is in every way just so much better of a car :)

330i ZHP
10-12-2014, 11:10 PM
Great stories

330i ZHP
10-12-2014, 11:34 PM
Mine starts in 1975, with a great uncle and his 2002. He took my dad for a ride in his and from that point on my dad wanted one.

Years later, my dad purchased a 1969 02 from a friend and it became my dad's daily driver. By that point the car was nearing ten years old and the red paint was faded, the interior was worn and it needed an engine rebuild, etc

Dad had the engine rebuilt, new exhaust and some other stuff done.

It was one of the cars I learned to drive with (officially - we owned a vineyard and winery so I had been "driving" farm vehicles for a few years - legally with farm tags).

It wasn't fast but it would sing along so happily on the highway. It was happiest at 70mph.

From that point forward I followed BMW and wanted a 3er. Three generations later, I owned a C4 1993 40th anniversary Corvette but I wanted a 1997 4dr M3 and had one on order. The Friday before I was to take delivery I was in severe car accident and had to cancel the order.

Finally, in 2005 - I decided to get an e46. I almost bought a 2000 used but it had front suspension problems and it had obvious wreck damage. I started looking for a 330. Remembered reading about the special 330. Started researching and then learned the new e90 was about to be released. I test drove a ZHP at a dealer local to me. I told them what I wanted and they persisted in trying to sell me one of the cars they had on the lot. They finally searched and claimed they found exactly what I was looking for. But they wanted $800 to get it there and weren't budging on price. While the salesperson was away from the desk I copied the information about the dealer in NJ that had the car I wanted. Told the salesperson I needed to think. Called the dealer in NJ. Talked to "Joe Z" a sales person. Told him the unit number. Told him was calling from DC. Asked him what he could do to make it worth my time and effort to come get that car (which btw had been sitting on their lot in Newark for 5 months - he said no one wanted a manual in NYC).

I bought it sight unseen. No pics, nothing. All the paperwork was done via FedEx. I booked two one way tickets to Newark for my daughter and me. We flew up, Joe picked us up at airport, took us to dealer...and there she was.

I WILL TRY TO FINISH THIS TOMORROW. TIRED. NIGHT

My daughter and I used the trip as a great reason to drive a wondering way home and on that first week I had racked up 800+ miles. The car became sort of a garage queen from the start because I was so happy to finally have a BMW. Before I even took delivery of the car I had already purchased real Euro clear lighting, black grills and some various carbon fiber stuff.

I tried out a few autocrosses. My first "updated" wheels were CSL reps, then lowered it on Bilstein PSS9s and installed the LSD then the Brembo's...then the first set of LMs. I moved on to the ESS TS2+ supercharger, Supersprint headers and exhaust, and lots of other suspension and other various updates.

The car still was living a life of garage queen and I decided to sell my Acura CL Type-S and buy the wagon.

Too much to list on the wagon...

Then I bought the 1989 325iX, 64k original miles, one owner, original paint, etc...I refurbed EVERYTHING to freshen it up - then decided I wanted an SUV. So I sold the E30 for a nice profit and decided to sell the ZHP...a car I had thought I would keep forever, but by that point the wagon had far surpassed the modification level.

So, I bought the X5 and use it as my daily

Lastly, I have come full circle by buying a 1974 2002tii that I am slowly retro-modding and restoring.

That is the short story (although it seems long...) as I do not want to bore everyone

fredo
10-13-2014, 09:31 AM
^ in for the rest of this story.

oldzilla
10-13-2014, 03:44 PM
Mine starts in 1976, (sad part coming) I was living in England and just a few months after my mother passed my father and I would go to Wilmslow to the BMW, Porsche and Jag dealers. It became a healing/bonding experience, my father loved performance cars and I remember how amazing the E type jag looked and I love the look of the E21. Skip ahead a few years, I was 10 years old and got to ride in 635csi, my love of BMW's stared that day and I made a promise to myself that I will own that car one day, being 10 I assumed that it would be a635csi. I got older But never lost that dream of a BMW, and having driven my sisters 325ci and her husbands 04 ZHP I fell for the E46, I knew that I wanted a vert and the ZHP was the icing on the cake so the hard work began. I saved, searched and worked to get my dream.

zhpnsnv
10-13-2014, 06:22 PM
Cool thread!

I could go ALL the way back, but I'll keep this to recent history, which has taken me to the conclusion that despite my love for the E30, the E46 is the best all around car there will ever be for me.

In 2005, I bought this:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a107/mbcoops/Cooper%20S/driverside.jpg

Then I fell in love with doing this:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a107/mbcoops/Cooper%20S/LimeRock-Oct2007127.jpg

So I modified it to be a track beast, ie, to be not comfortable on the street:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a107/mbcoops/Cooper%20S/P1030722.jpg

Therefore, I bought this as a daily:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a107/mbcoops/323i/slothfrontdriver.jpg

Thus, the E46 bug bit me, and I bought the best all around car I've had (photo by kayger's wife):
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a107/mbcoops/ZHP/AE76592C-C43B-41A3-ABEA-75CAD2C0027B-11283-00000EB9793BFC2B.jpg

Loved the hell out of that car, but caught another bug (the good ole new car, red seat, 320hp bug):
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a107/mbcoops/135is/null_zpsc7ed5300.jpg

And that was awesome for another 2 years, but then the idea of getting back into an E46 and not having a car payment seemed equally awesome, so it's home again, home again, jiggity-jig:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a107/mbcoops/325ci/D20EC1A1-5BAE-45B5-B198-912BD0F76E5F_zpsra6bz5ve.jpg

But to be honest, the story REALLY started in 1999 when my buddy and I (seniors in high school) went to an NJ BMW dealership and pretended to be step-brothers shopping for a graduation present from our parents. Dealership actually let us take out a brand spanking new 328i, by ourselves. No idea how we actually accomplished this. Needless to say, the car came back smelling of spent gases, heated coolant, and cooked rotors and pads. I've always felt at home in the interior of the E46, and to be honest, from 323i to 325Ci to 330i ZHP, I love all of them in different but equal ways.

P.S. - someone trade me your coupe ambers front and back for my clears!!! Need amber back in my life!

mLuMaN83
10-13-2014, 06:49 PM
Loving these stories, everyone.

And pics are good!

danewilson77
10-14-2014, 06:52 AM
P.S. - someone trade me your coupe ambers front and back for my clears!!! Need amber back in my life!

Marc,

Start a WTT thread. I'm sure someone will hit you up. Are they OEM or DEPO?

pfr
10-14-2014, 08:10 AM
I grew up in Hungary and the most wonderful car I ever got to admire from afar was the 1602... Then came immigration, kids and in 1982 a 1969 Chevy wagon that hardly moved from mechanic to mechanic. A couple of decent practical cars (and 21 years) later we were shopping for a car for my wife when I noticed a E36 328is on the lot. I asked to drive it and told my wife she has to have it. She agreed. I got to drive it once in a while... A few years later she moved on to a 2003 330 coupe with the Sport Package which I eventually inherited and when that needed replacing I started reading up, found the Mafia site and decided that the ZHP is the one... She now drives an E93 335 but I would not switch with her. While the engine of that one is clearly superior, the handling, the looks, the ergonomics, the feeling... ZHP forever!!! (or until someone rear ends it...;( )

zhpnsnv
10-14-2014, 06:22 PM
Marc,

Start a WTT thread. I'm sure someone will hit you up. Are they OEM or DEPO?

OEM. 2002 coupes came with them, possibly as part of premium package, or possibly just on all of them. Not sure.

3ZHP
10-17-2014, 06:42 AM
I first realized German engineering back in the early 80s. I was working for a large auto body business that had 8 or 10 locations. I worked at the main location and personally interacted with the owner on regular bases. This included moving or servicing some of his personal car collections. At the time, he and his wife had a pair of 79 Caprice Classic’s for their DDs. His other pride was a one of four, 1942 Packard 160 and hers was a 76 MB 450SL, in forest green with a saddle interior. Hers was cleaner than the day in came off the dealers showroom floor. The oldest Son had a new Bimmer at the time but, I never got the chance to experience it.

Now this was back in the day of 55mph limits and the big American car era was just slimming down. On one occasion, I remember having the SL on the highway, when the mood struck me, to see what it was made of. I floored it at 60 mph and within a heartbeat it dropped 2 gears and was nearing triple digits. On another occasion, I was exiting the highway on to a cloverleaf, entering it at 70. I started to hear a little squeal out of the rear and peg it. It sat down shut up and took off. I was addicted to something that was so extremely out of my budget it wasn’t funny.

In that same decade came the introduction of front wheel drive. They were ugly cars with no handling or power. The next issue was gas prices that were increasing 30+% a year. I survived for the next two decades on old classics, then moved in to trucks that were either 4 wheel or rear wheel drive, never owning a front wheel drive. In 2003 I was dealing with my second piece of American junk in the last six years. One of the trucks I purchased CPO with low mileage the other new, no option/option using a supplier discount. I was angered by the premature failures, I had with both of these trucks and needed a change.

I started searching the technicals’ on different makes am models of both cars and trucks, with rear wheel drive being my main priority. When I made the discovery that BMW was rear wheel drive, I started looking deeper at the selections.

Then in 2002 I made the dive and purchased my first BMW. It was a 1999 323i, in Forest Green with a beige interior. Yes, it was a very similar color combo to the 450SL that tickled my desire. The car was nice but, still lacking. The 2002’s were out and they killed the detail style of both the front and back end and saw no place to go. Around that same time, a new BMW Magazine arrived in the mail with the Imola Red Performance Package on the cover. Now that interested me, but way out of the budget.

Throughout the following two years, I did some major mods and it was better but, still lacking. I needed more power and three pedals. I started web searching for a replacement with the 3 liter and a five speed and maybe a coup. I loved the M///s but, again way out of my budget. I was on the web one night and saw a coup and called on it. When the receptionist asked me who I wanted to talk to, I answered that I wanted to talk to a new car guy I met at an all-German Auto Show about his CPO. She replied that I would need to talk to someone form CPO. I asked who, and she started naming names. Jerry. Yes Jerry, the sales guy I had purchased my current car from at the competing dealer, he moved.

Hi Jerry; this is Guy, Jerry; Hi Guy how are you doing, Me; good, I was looking at that coup advertised on line, that doesn’t have the Performance Package, does it, Jerry; no but, the 4 door next to it does, me; what time are you there till; Jerry 6:00, me; OK. Call wife, I’m going to be a little late tonight, her; why, me; I’m going to look at a car, her; here we go again. Got to the dealer and took it for a solo ride. The next day, I brought the wife back and we talked finances. The used car appraiser was out so, back again the next day. Well, that didn’t work, way too far upside down. I walked away cold, never mentioning it to anyone other than our kids. It was a nice dream but, it wasn’t happening.

A few weeks, or maybe even over a month later, my phone rings at work. I pick up the call and it’s Jerry. I’m harsh and short; don’t even want to talk and trying to break the call short. Then he hits me with startling numbers, NO WAY, YES. Well, we went out the next day and the numbers came in to a more reasonable payment and in the end, I picked up my ZHP on Saturday, December 23, at 1:00 in the afternoon. If I remember right, they may have been turning off the lights as we left. Merry Christmas, yes it was.

So, after ten+ years of Bimmer life that included meeting great people at club events and online, a few national club conferences and caucuses with loads of info and great enthusiast people, Auto Shows, Cars n Coffee’s, High Performance Driving Schools, Auto Cross, as well as day to day use I’m hooked. Or should the family is hooked and includes two new additions to the list this year. I do see this continuing for a long, long time.

The list:
1999. 213i (former)
2003, 235Cic (former)
2003, 330i ZHP (current) I
1991, 318is (current) Son
2006, 330 Cic (former)
2014, 328i (current) Wife
2000, M/// Roadster (current) Son-in-Law

ELCID86
11-19-2015, 06:49 PM
Bump

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

BMWCurves
11-19-2015, 11:15 PM
My love for the E46 didn't occur until later in my life, but I lived and breathed BMW since I was a kid. My father's job gave him a business car of his choice to shuttle around clients, so he had an E34 530i with a white exterior and a gray interior when I was very young. I didn't understand displacement, or know what a V-8 was, or realize the difference between a manual transmission and an automatic, but I loved the sound that car made and the weird feeling in my stomach when we went around his favorite twisty road on the way home. To me, that car was perfect. My father sometimes let me sit on his lap and steer the car or move the gear shifter when we were in a parking lot or a residential neighborhood and I became infatuated with the notion of "driving." My mother at the time had an old Audi (I can't remember what model) that had cloth seats and I remember thinking it just wasn't as comfortable or, much more importantly, as cool as my father's car.

A few years later he ordered a MY1998 E39 540i with an Oxford Green exterior on a sand leather interior for a new business car, which he still drives today. Where I thought the E34 was cool, this was like discovering Star Wars for the first time. It was the best car. It was refined, it was comfortable, it was raw, and it looked like nothing else on the road. That car is so engrained my childhood that I pretty much compare it to every other car I ride in today, and few meet its standards.

When I turned 15 and got my learner's permit, I switched driving between my mother's 1994 Audi C4 S4, my sister's 2000 Jetta, and my father's car. While they all had a manual transmission, they each had very different dynamics. The Jetta was the lightest but had the least amount of power (115 hp) from it's 2.0L 4-cylinder and was front wheel drive so it was a momentum car. The S4 was the heaviest thanks to its 4WD system, but had 227 hp and 258 ft-lbs of torque and was a beast in any weather. The 540i weighed a little less than the S4, but had mounds of torque (320 ft-lbs) that could light up the rear tires if you weren't careful. After I got the hang of each car's clutch, I began to learn the dynamics of each car and that really gave me an appreciation for what cars were, and what they could be. Still, out of all of them I loved the 540i the most. When I finally got my license I inherited my mother's S4 since she moved onto a Volvo S40 T5 AWD. Fresh from discovering the wonders of Top Gear, I drove that S4 like I stole it. Wrung the crap out of the turbo I-5 and flirted with the redline so many times it was like we were dating. When the snow fell, I skidded around in the white fluff like the streets were my private WRC course. I loved that thing. I even managed to teach three of my close friends to drive a manual on it (at no small cost to the clutch) and show them the light of the manual as the holy transmission ("oh holy manual, your three pedals at my feet, your shifter in my hand, guide me to driving nirvana"). Those friends have only had manual transmission cars since.

When I left for college my family and I decided to sell the S4 since the stable had grown to five cars but there were only two people to drive them (my older sister was gone as well). I almost wish we hadn't, but there was no point in keeping it. So every time I came home to visit, I would do my best to get seat time in the 540i. I became more familiar with the car, testing the limits of its grip and realizing it likes to hang its ass out more than a plumber. I was hooked on BMW once more. After I graduated and got a job in Philadelphia, I needed a car. Oddly, I didn't search for BMWs immediately. I knew I wanted a manual transmission and a smaller car so I looked on Craigslist for used Audi A3s and A4s, Minis, Subarus, VW Golfs, you name it. Sadly, most of them were out of my price range and none of them spoke to me except maybe the A4 avant (still love that body shape). Then one day day my father sent me a craigslist listing of a 2003 BMW 330Ci with Sport, Premium, and Cold Weather Packages, manual transmission in Orient Blue with a Beige leather interior. I hadn't even considered the E46 because I figured it would be out of my price range, but here was this example that was underpriced and absolutely stunning. I had never actually sat in or experienced an E46, but it was the best looking car BMW had ever produced in my eyes. I called the seller and we met up a day later, took it for a test drive, had it inspected over the weekend, and it was mine. On the drive home I couldn't believe it. I felt like I had just robbed a bank and gotten away with it. I was in love once more! For a nine year-old car it felt the business. It felt tighter and more nimble than the 540i, and while it didn't have as extensive a computer it felt more modern in many ways with the automatic xenon headlights and windshield wipers. It had a much better stereo. My friends complimented it to no end. It made me feel like a million bucks, and I am a firm believer that material things =/= happiness or fulfillment. It was perfect.

It handled the brutal Philadelphia streets, carved up the backroads outside of the city with aplomb, and cruised on long trips with friends with ease. For two years it was my sidekick. To put it in the words of Jeremy Clarkson:

"Straight six in the front, manual gearbox in the middle and drive going to the rear. Page 1, Chapter 1 of the Petrosexual handbook"

And I was a devout follower. Then last June I quit my job and planned to live back in Portland. I decided it was as good a time as any to road trip across the country, so I drove with a coworker (who had also quit) down the east coast, through the south and toward California for one of her friend's weddings. It was a great car, simply ate up the miles averaging around 30 mpg with two passengers and a trunk/back seat stuffed to the brim with my belongings. Then, on our great nation's birthday, we woke up early in Flagstaff with plans to drive to and hike the Grand Canyon before heading on to Vegas for the evening's festivities. I, in my infinite wisdom, decided we should take the more scenic route to the Grand Canyon. While in transit on the little two lane road, trundling along at 65 mph, a pack of antelope were grazing behind some bushes. The car spooked all of them...except for one. One little fella decided "I got this!" and tried to cross in front of my car. There was no where for him to go, nowhere for me to go. BAM Airbags deploy, we come to a stop on the side of the road and I check that my coworker's okay. We step out of the car and assess the damage. The antelope was eviscerated and killed on impact and the car non-functioning. Since it was a national holiday there weren't any repair shops around so we got a U-Haul and towed the thing to Vegas and then onto California where my insurance picked it up and informed me it was totaled. Photos and info from the trip can be found HERE (http://imgur.com/a/jRldz)

The write-off from the insurance company was surprisingly good, so when I returned to Portland last year I began my search anew. I gradually became aware of the ZHP, researched everything I could about it, and finally decided its what I would patiently wait for. Seven months later I found one local to me and I snatched it up. I love it even more than my first 330Ci and I never plan to part with it! 10 years since it rolled off the production line and I struggle to find more than a handful of cars I would rather have. With the way the auto industry is heading, I doubt much will change my mind either.

ELCID86
11-20-2015, 04:29 AM
Great story. Thanks for sharing. (And I think the Ci did pretty well against the antelope.)

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

ecrabb
11-20-2015, 03:52 PM
Lots of great stories. I've told mine before, but I'll chip in and add it to the collection here. Sorry, this is going to be long. It's a long and winding road that brought me to BMW.

I grew up in the 70's and 80's in a small midwest city, so I was always around American iron; mostly GM. A couple of friends parents had muscle cars, and my dad always had a Corvette and at least another fun car or two around. Over the years, there were Corvettes from old to new, a couple of Trans Ams (a '79 and '83 which I bought and drove), an '87 Regal Buick Grand National (he still has it), a GMC Syclone (which I later bought and drove for a few years), and more lately a Cadillac CTS-V. I learned to drive a stick on my dad's '85 Corvette, and most of my childhood was spent at Corvette Club events - speed events (like autocross), show/shine (concours), and parties. I loved the American car culture. It was all I knew.

So, my perception of BMW in 70's and 80's wasn't really positive. Small, underpowered, overpriced, and usually driven by doctors or attorneys with more money than brains. That was the perception, anyway.

In the mid-80's when I was a young teen, a good friend of my dad's had a business that was doing exceptionally well and he started buying cars. Lots of them. He either bought them minty/original cars or bought and restored them. Pretty much every muscle car imaginable: LS5 Chevelle, GTO, Challenger, Firebird, Camaro, Hemi Cuda, Plymouth Superbird, Olds 442... He bought a Buick GNX when my old man bought his GN. It was a truly awesome collection by the time I left for college. At the same time, he was buying some fun Euro stuff to actually drive. He bought a silver 930 slant-nose, a black 928S4 (my first taste of the gorgeousness that is BBS RS), a black AMG Hammer, and even a Testarossa. Huh. This Euro stuff is pretty cool. Utterly unaffordable, but pretty cool.

I left for college in '88 and drove my '83 Trans Am for quite a few years. Kept it pretty minty and sold it in probably '94 or so to buy the old man's '91 Syclone. That was a FUN vehicle. I sold that when I graduated college in '97 to get something a little newer and more practical and got a '97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. Got married and sold that to get a Durango to have something to fix up my wife's and my first house. Switched to a Durango R/T. Had kids and was pretty poor for six or eight years while my wife stayed home with our kids.

Fast forward to about 2003 or 2004. My buddy works with a guy from Fallon Interactive in Minneapolis, who gave him a few copies of The Hire series on DVD. I'm a home theater nut, so he gave me a couple to watch on a big screen in my house. I see the black E39 M5 in The Star, and discover this awesome-handling V8 tire-smoking luxury sedan that looks bad-ass AND has a six-speed. No way!

A couple of years later, I drive by a BMW Dealer and see this gorgeous, amazing, Laguna Seca E46 M3. It looks like a race car. Wow. I had no idea. That car is awesome, but it's nearly $50,000. Awesome-looking, but never mind. I have two babies at home and fun cars are way off on the horizon.

Now it's 2010. I'm doing some work for an ad agency with a buddy. The assignment is along the lines of "go to Chicago and shoot this car guy that Miller (the welder company) is working with. We get there and it's Bill Caswell of $500 Cragslist rally car (http://jalopnik.com/5497042/how-a-500-craigslist-car-beat-400k-rally-racers) fame. Here's this guy that was in finance in Chicago, lost his job in the meltdown, sold his two nice cars and bought a ratted-out old 318 and went rally racing in it. We spend the day with him, interviewing him in his mom's garage, and his enthusiasm for BMW is absolutely infectious. He's talking about these great old cars that are really affordable. Nice!

So, I get home and start looking at BMW's. Interesting. Discover the E46, learn about the 3-series, the platform, the history, the racing heritage. Awesome. Learn once again how expensive the E46 M3 is and blow it off. Later that year, my buddy and I went to SEMA and shot Bill in the Miller booth and posted several YouTube videos a day (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9rpk8Ghqso). After being focused on college, getting married, houses, career for so many years, I was sucked back into cars again. Somehow, I discovered the ZHP and joined ZHP Mafia the next year. Then I started a new job that was a giant life-suck for the next three years and I had to back-burner cars again. :(

Last fall, we relocated to Utah and sort of "cleaned house". I changed jobs, had a life again, and finally this summer, bought a ZHP. It took four or five years of waiting and saving and waiting, but I absolutely love it. It reminds me of my Trans Am or of my dad's '85 Corvette in many ways. Not quite the same power as the Corvette, but smoother and more refined and just an all-around AMAZING car. The handling is awesome. I love almost everything about the car. I just wish it had like 260HP. It would literally be the perfect car.

I think I still want an E46 M3, so I think I'll probably have to sell the ZHP in a year or two to chase that dream. But, my dad's old friend and his German cars, The Hire Series, Bill Caswell, and ZHP Mafia all played a role.

This thread needs pictures!

Cheers,
SC

Karl Lazlo
11-21-2015, 08:37 PM
My E46 Story

My E46 isn’t the first BMW I had owned. My first was a gray market E21 323i Baur. Picked it up in 1997-ish. I was sold from that point forward.

As I came of age in BMWs, I was soured on the E36. Loved the E30, but living in yuppie central during the 80s, you couldn’t swing a dead cat without hitting an E30 in Fairfield County, CT. I was living in HI when I saw the first E36s and I just never warmed up to them.

Went though a number of VWs, a few race cars, an Audi, couple of Saabs… Just couldn’t shake the BMW wanderlust. Started seeing E46s and they looked awesome. So, I went searching for one. I was very particular, as I wanted a black MT coupe. My Saab was getting up there in age, so I needed a new DD. Couldn’t find what I was looking for…

One afternoon in October of 2006, driving home from work, my commute took me right past Ridgefield BMW and there it was – a CPO 2003 Black/Black 330Ci. “please, please, please be a manual…”

Walked over and saw the shifter and three pedals and knew it had to be mine. Less than 25k miles and immaculate. Sales guy came over and we took it for a drive. So much more solid than my then-7 year old Saab 9-3 and it felt great. Left after making small talk with the sales guy. Took his card and told him I would call in a few days.

Got home, explained to my then-live-in-girlfriend… (now ex). Found some money and put a deposit on it two days later. The sales guy thought I was blowing him off. We settled on a fair price and I slowly lost my mind as they did dealer prep over the weekend. Went to the bank and got a big fat cashier’s check and the pretty teller asked what I was buying. “A BMW 3-series.” She swooned and winked, “I like BMWs…” Or that may have been a dream. Whatever.

So, sold my Saab shortly thereafter and I was down to one car. Less than two years later, my daughter was born, so I needed a “family” car. Something with 4 doors. BMW was retired from DD as I decided that a new dad should have a safe, AWD, family car with an automatic so Mom could drive. An Audi RS6 seemed reasonable.

Audis are basketcases. My 330Ci was very trustworthy and after moving to Las Vegas, sold the RS6.

So, as my car got up there in mileage, I took care of it and it has only left me stranded 3x in its life – Fuel pump (160K), idler pulley (190K) that grenaded and launched itself into the expansion tank and most recently, the alternator (230K). Despite it’s mileage and my “spirited” driving, the thing has been stupid reliable. And still fun to drive.

But, it’s getting up there. I am just shy of 250k on it and decided that I needed a new-to-me-E46. This summer, I grabbed another coupe. 2006 ZHP in the same color. With 160k less miles.

Honestly, I think BMW peaked with the E46. The newer models don’t appeal or speak to me. My coupes lack some of the creature comforts of some of the newer cars, but make up with a lot of personality and joy of driving. Not quite as raw as an E30 but certainly not as numb is the E9x.

I dream of my now 7 year old daughter flogging an E46 for her driver’s test.

ecrabb
11-21-2015, 09:18 PM
Great story. I agree about the new cars. Something about them just doesn't do something for me like the e46 does. The e90 is really great and I absolutely love some of the new interiors. They're gorgeous. But something doesn't stir me the way the e46 does.

SC

SwiftyM3
11-23-2015, 10:57 AM
Went to the bank and got a big fat cashier’s check and the pretty teller asked what I was buying. “A BMW 3-series.” She swooned and winked, “I like BMWs…” Or that may have been a dream. Whatever.

This made my day. Genuinely laughed out loud and now my co-workers know i'm wasting time on the forums again.

BMWCurves
11-23-2015, 11:15 AM
Great stories all around.

san
11-23-2015, 05:48 PM
Here's my story -

The ZHP is the first car I have ever owned. I was not aware of the 'ZHP' 3 months before I bought mine, but I knew I need to own one as soon as I drove one.

I have always loved cars. It started with helping my dad fix his cars which seemed to have oil leaks. Since then I always enjoyed wrenching stuff, my bi-cycle, then my cousins motor cycle and later my own. I used to cycle to school and one day while I waited at a Traffic Light, I spotted a BMW roundel. Back then BMW hadn't started selling cars in India so I immediately took it and kept it in my pocket. I believe I still have it in my parents's place. Oh and one thing my dad always says "anybody can buy a used BMW, but not everyone can maintain one". So true.....

Anyway this interest in wrenching stuff led me to come to USA to pursue studying more about automobiles. The university I studied in was half hour away from BMW's Spantanburg Plant and maybe cause of this, every other car owned by students there was a BMW. e36 M3's, e46 M3's, e39 M5's and LOTS of e46 330's... The whole university is full of car nuts and it ships out a concept car every year for a OEM. I was part of the this project -
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/24/clemson-students-gm-deep-orange-5/

I was too broke to own a car back then, let alone a zhp. But couple of my friends had e46 330's and they were kind enough to let me drive them sometimes. I enjoyed driving them but did not feel like 'damn! I need to own one'. All of this changed when a close friend of mine bought a zhp. As soon as I drove it, I knew I had to own one. I was due to graduate in August 2012, so I started to search towards the end of August. Found a few in SC but none were really 'special'. I had about a month before I had to start working so I wanted a zhp before that. I was spending time in New Jersey in a relative's place so i was looking at zhp's in NJ. Found a 2006 zhp with about 95k miles on it for $14k, it looked really good so I contacted the seller and set up a PPI.

The PPI came out OK and the tech told me, it needed new FCAB's, intake boots and power steering hose line. I was sort of disappointed as I thought the zhp did not need anything in the near future. Tried to negotiate the price but the seller wouldn't budge. The tech at the shop told me he would not give more than $13.5k. So I started my search but I could not find any zhp's that were to my liking. So after searching for about 2 weeks, i decided to buy the zhp I looked at earlier, cause I did a little math and figured it would cost me about $600 to transport all of my stuff from NJ to IN. I contact the seller again and to my horror, he said he had a seller lined up and would let me know if he backed out. 2 days later he tells me the car is mine for $14k.

So this is my ZHP story :)

Oh and I later realized that the seller was a member of the mafia, but not a very active one and he also listed the zhp for sale here. Here is the link -

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?13265-FS-2006-BMW-330Ci-ZHP-6-Speed-NJ&highlight=2006

Here is the first pic I took of my zhp -

fredo
11-23-2015, 06:59 PM
Hello, San. that's a good story. Hope the ZHP has been good to you. :thumbsup

BimmerDude
12-02-2015, 06:50 AM
My Story,

I grew up around bmw's my mom had a e30 sedan and e36 sedan in the 90's. I remember spending alot of time in the service department of my family's BMW mechanic. The Floor was so clean you could eat off it. E32's e34's e31's you name it. Fast forward to high school 1999 and My dad made a deal with me. " Ill match what ever you save up to help you buy a car..." big mistake lol. I ended up saving 8,000$ from 9th grade to my junior year for a High mileage 325is Mtech (So my dad had to match it:)) I drive it all summer... everywhere. Broke but I didn't care, until senior year the engine decided to give out on me. Devastated I went back to riding the Bus to school. I was now faced with no car to drive for the up coming prom...Lame. one week before prom I got a call from the shop owner i grew up with saying I could borrow a 2001 330i to take to prom as long as I brought it back to him the following monday.
From then on I was hooked..

2000 328i
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/we_poboys/DSC00425_zpse800ecbc.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/we_poboys/media/DSC00425_zpse800ecbc.jpg.html)
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/we_poboys/DSC00421_zps6a84ba3d.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/we_poboys/media/DSC00421_zps6a84ba3d.jpg.html)

94 540i6
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/we_poboys/2012-09-30160435.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/we_poboys/media/2012-09-30160435.jpg.html)
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/we_poboys/2012-09-30160515.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/we_poboys/media/2012-09-30160515.jpg.html)

1999 m3 project turned garage queen
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/we_poboys/20130809_143535_zps81097cab.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/we_poboys/media/20130809_143535_zps81097cab.jpg.html)
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/we_poboys/2015-01-25_zps7424c61e.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/we_poboys/media/2015-01-25_zps7424c61e.jpg.html)

2003 325i touring
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/we_poboys/2014-09-16_zps3cdaf4d7.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/we_poboys/media/2014-09-16_zps3cdaf4d7.jpg.html)

2004 zhp (2999$) :)
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/we_poboys/IMG_20150617_063552nopm_zps8eoahyiv.jpeg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/we_poboys/media/IMG_20150617_063552nopm_zps8eoahyiv.jpeg.html)

rguti153
12-02-2015, 07:19 AM
My Story,

I grew up around bmw's my mom had a e30 sedan and e36 sedan in the 90's. I remember spending alot of time in the service department of my family's BMW mechanic. The Floor was so clean you could eat off it. E32's e34's e31's you name it. Fast forward to high school 1999 and My dad made a deal with me. " Ill match what ever you save up to help you buy a car..." big mistake lol. I ended up saving 8,000$ from 9th grade to my junior year for a High mileage 325is Mtech (So my dad had to match it:)) I drive it all summer... everywhere. Broke but I didn't care, until senior year the engine decided to give out on me. Devastated I went back to riding the Bus to school. I was now faced with no car to drive for the up coming prom...Lame. one week before prom I got a call from the shop owner i grew up with saying I could borrow a 2001 330i to take to prom as long as I brought it back to him the following monday.
From then on I was hooked..

2000 328i
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/we_poboys/DSC00425_zpse800ecbc.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/we_poboys/media/DSC00425_zpse800ecbc.jpg.html)
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/we_poboys/DSC00421_zps6a84ba3d.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/we_poboys/media/DSC00421_zps6a84ba3d.jpg.html)

94 540i6
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/we_poboys/2012-09-30160435.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/we_poboys/media/2012-09-30160435.jpg.html)
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/we_poboys/2012-09-30160515.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/we_poboys/media/2012-09-30160515.jpg.html)

1999 m3 project turned garage queen
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/we_poboys/20130809_143535_zps81097cab.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/we_poboys/media/20130809_143535_zps81097cab.jpg.html)
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/we_poboys/2015-01-25_zps7424c61e.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/we_poboys/media/2015-01-25_zps7424c61e.jpg.html)

2003 325i touring
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/we_poboys/2014-09-16_zps3cdaf4d7.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/we_poboys/media/2014-09-16_zps3cdaf4d7.jpg.html)

2004 zhp (2999$) :)
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/we_poboys/IMG_20150617_063552nopm_zps8eoahyiv.jpeg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/we_poboys/media/IMG_20150617_063552nopm_zps8eoahyiv.jpeg.html)
What happen to that e34 , I've seen that car a couple of years back on the road

BimmerDude
12-02-2015, 01:59 PM
Sold it to some kid from Austin. I actually miss it