PDA

View Full Version : blown shocks

webster
08-29-2014, 02:14 PM
Noticed a rattle/ clunk coming from the front suspension the other day. Took it in to the shop today and learned the left shock is blown. Also need to replace the steering coupler. Probably will get new front tires and an alignment as well.

Thinking of going with the koni fsd shocks kit/ eibach pro springs kit on tire rack. Anyone else running this setup? Wondering if the slight drop will be okay with the wheel offsets.

WOLFN8TR
08-29-2014, 04:09 PM
I have the Koni Sport rear shocks and they are Sweet!! If that helps any.

pilotnick1203
08-30-2014, 07:02 AM
Bilstein.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alexandre
08-31-2014, 06:38 AM
If cost is an issue just do OEM - shock is $70 a side (OEM sachs 556-882) and mount $12.50 (OEM Lemfoerder). Super easy to replace.

Johal E32
08-31-2014, 07:39 AM
^but that is a regular shock, not the ZHP specific one is it?

Crickett
08-31-2014, 07:57 AM
^but that is a regular shock, not the ZHP specific one is it?
There aren’t ZHP-specific struts/shocks, just “regular” sport suspension ones.

I looked into OE-equivalent struts and shocks for my upcoming refresh and decided to go with OEM Sachs:
Front left: 290-949
Front right: 290-950
Rear: 556-882

webster
08-31-2014, 08:11 AM
thanks guys, i went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Koni FSD/Eibach Pro kit

alexandre
08-31-2014, 10:01 AM
There aren’t ZHP-specific struts/shocks, just “regular” sport suspension ones.

I looked into OE-equivalent struts and shocks for my upcoming refresh and decided to go with OEM Sachs:
Front left: 290-949
Front right: 290-950
Rear: 556-882

Yep. Did just that and am very happy with the OEM ride height and handling. What's different with the ZHP suspension are the springs and control arms - everything else is the same as ZSP.

ELCID86
08-31-2014, 01:32 PM
These are supposedly fairly new. Any way to tell manufacture date?

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Daddyoh
09-10-2014, 07:36 AM
Noticed a rattle/ clunk coming from the front suspension the other day. Took it in to the shop today and learned the left shock is blown. Also need to replace the steering coupler. Probably will get new front tires and an alignment as well.

Thinking of going with the koni fsd shocks kit/ eibach pro springs kit on tire rack. Anyone else running this setup? Wondering if the slight drop will be okay with the wheel offsets.

Hi Wes, just curious what the symptom was with the steering coupler?
Did you get the Koni's yet?
Thanks,
Steve

webster
09-10-2014, 10:37 AM
There was play in the disk from the rubber deteriorating over time. I didn't really notice any symptoms per se but the indy recommended it so I complied.

I should be getting the car back today. They are doing the following:

Shocks/struts
Shock mounts/spring pads
Strut tower reinforcement plates
Springs
Steering coupler
Front tires
Roadforce balance all wheels
Alignment (includes steering angle sensor calibration)
Power steering hose
Radiator hose
Coolant flush

They noticed the PS hoses leaking onto the radiator coolant hose which was causing it to swell and crack. Sigh. This visit is gonna be almost $3k. Not spending another dime on this car for a while.

rguti153
09-10-2014, 12:42 PM
Fuck 3k ouch

Daddyoh
09-11-2014, 05:49 AM
Wes, I bet it's gonna feel like a new car! Thanks for your reply.
I'm having some steering issues with wandering and tramlining so I thought I'd ask.
Look's like I've missed the Koni sale, so I guess I will go with Bilstein whenever I make a move.

webster
09-11-2014, 08:03 AM
I got the car back yesterday. Feels brand new basically. Loving the handling of the new setup. Car rolls and pitches much less than stock. The fsd shocks handle bumps like a champ. She sits slightly lowered but not much (guessing she'll settle a bit on the springs). Car steers straight as an arrow too (no more slight wander). Biggest improvement tho is the steering. My god the steering! Feels much tighter/more precise.

Daddyoh
09-11-2014, 09:12 AM
^^ Sweet, buddy. That is a great report to hear. Good for you.
My BMW advisor intimated that the steering coupler may be my problem too, as I described it to him via texting. AND, there's 98k on my suspension.
So I can't wait to be able to give that kind of report when I get mine done.
My dealer of choice, Sun Motors, is having an Octoberfest event on Oct. 4. They have a service clinic and go over the car with a fine-tooth comb.
They'll give you a report and offer 15% off if you schedule any of the repairs! So sometimes it is economical as long as there's not a lot of parts cost involved.
PLUS, they have free German beers, and food..........!
Take care. Later...

NorCalZman
09-11-2014, 09:24 AM
These are supposedly fairly new. Any way to tell manufacture date?

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Very nice. Someone upgraded your shocks. Stock the later e46s received basic Sach Touring shocks. These Advantage shocks are their step up. I was going to get these myself when I replaced my shocks.

ELCID86
09-11-2014, 10:31 AM
Very nice. Someone upgraded your shocks. Stock the later e46s received basic Sach Touring shocks. These Advantage shocks are their step up. I was going to get these myself when I replaced my shocks.

Good to know. Thanks!

Daddyoh
09-11-2014, 10:36 AM

I replaced the front shocks on my E36 with OEM sport shocks, which turned out to be the Sach's Advantage shock; I used them with OE sport springs. I bought them from BavAuto some years ago. Shawn, you might give BavAuto a call and they may be able to give some feedback on the model number / serial number.

NorCalZman
09-11-2014, 10:55 AM
I replaced the front shocks on my E36 with OEM sport shocks, which turned out to be the Sach's Advantage shock; I used them with OE sport springs. I bought them from BavAuto some years ago. Shawn, you might give BavAuto a call and they may be able to give some feedback on the model number / serial number.

Early model E46s came with Advantage shocks too. I think when the facelift happened BMW switched to Touring (to soften the suspension I suspect).

ELCID86
09-11-2014, 11:05 AM
PO did say he had recently updated them.

webster
09-11-2014, 12:22 PM
As she sits today

http://s27.postimg.org/a28be0zpf/20140911_135821.jpg

Vas
09-11-2014, 12:23 PM
It looks nice though.

Daddyoh
09-11-2014, 12:43 PM
Nice Wes. I really don't think I want mine any lower than it currently is. I may stick with the current springs for a while, as long as they are viable..........
You have a sharp car sir!