PDA

View Full Version : Autotragic trans question

pilotnick1203
08-18-2014, 01:53 PM
Hey all,
Is it true that my transmission is made by GM??? Yes General Motors? If so, even more power to me to switch to a ZF 6spd..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E_Rak
08-18-2014, 02:01 PM
It's possible. I know that on RWD cars there was a mix of ZF and GM automatic transmissions. ZF was the more common on RWD machines, although inferior to the GM version as the German box is known for breaking reverse almost without fail after enough use. GM transmission were the only ones used in xi models.

Newjack
08-18-2014, 02:06 PM
Hey all,
Is it true that my transmission is made by GM??? Yes General Motors? If so, even more power to me to switch to a ZF 6spd..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know what kind of car you have but the GM transmissions were in the diesels and 323 325 models. They work just fine. No need to bash GM.

If you want to do a manual swap then just go ahead and do it.

pilotnick1203
08-18-2014, 02:18 PM
So I have a Ci ZHP. I read somewhere that the GM trans does not have a dipstick and mine doesn't. I have only had bad experiences with GM products... I am biased.

pilotnick1203
08-18-2014, 02:18 PM
It's possible. I know that on RWD cars there was a mix of ZF and GM automatic transmissions. ZF was the more common on RWD machines, although inferior to the GM version as the German box is known for breaking reverse almost without fail after enough use. GM transmission were the only ones used in xi models.

Thanks.

Hornung418
08-18-2014, 02:21 PM
Thread no. 5L40-E about transmission swaps.

Just do it already!!

Voted: Not thread worthy.

pilotnick1203
08-18-2014, 02:23 PM

Just do it already!!

LOL thread withdrawn.

BCS_ZHP
08-18-2014, 05:59 PM

Just do it already!!

About 3-4 years ago I recall showing a young guy with keen automotive curiosity how a brake job was done, he caught on very quickly, wasn't afraid to try even more challenging things like replacing VANOS seals just a year later. Let's try to coddle our fellow members' curiosity and interests in extending the life & longevity of our chosen breed of cars.

pilotnick1203
08-18-2014, 06:27 PM
About 3-4 years ago I recall showing a young guy with keen automotive curiosity how a brake job was done, he caught on very quickly, wasn't afraid to try even more challenging things like replacing VANOS seals just a year later. Let's try to coddle our fellow members' curiosity and interests in extending the life & longevity of our chosen breed of cars.

+1 thanks. I'm interested in this stuff, and I want to care for my ZHP. First car ya know...

E_Rak
08-18-2014, 06:45 PM
Check out the chart in the first post here. Part numbers ending in "R" are GM while those ending in "Z" are ZF.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=706809

Hornung418
08-19-2014, 04:18 AM
+1 thanks. I'm interested in this stuff, and I want to care for my ZHP. First car ya know...

My suggestion to you, instead of making twenty threads revolving around the same topic and continuously posing the same questions, would be to make one thread, about your car.

Any questions you ask about your car will go in that thread or maybe post into another thread, like the Random E46 Question Thread. Something as simple as "what transmission do we have?" would go in the random thread because it's not a topic you can discuss at length.

Sent from my GS3.

danewilson77
08-19-2014, 07:29 AM
OP,

Feel free to post as many threads as you wish, though Justin's idea above would help us out.

Maybe make a thread and call it pilotnick1023's ZHP knowledge thread.

Up to you though. I'm glad you're concerned enough about your car to ask the questions.