PDA

View Full Version : Preventive maintenance or... Not?

TxCracker2316
08-04-2014, 10:35 PM
I just became a proud owner of a ci zhp and want to make sure it stays fun to own. I did a lot of reading before pulling the trigger on one and read alot about the play school plastic cooling system. I'm in Houston and it gets HOT here in summer. My question is should I invest in a complete cooling overhaul if there's no evidence of it already being done, or wait for the fail. I've had experience with replacing water pumps/radiators/etc. and I've also had experience with my old '87 325i giving up the ghost with no warning.
The reasonable cost for the parts is not a big deal for the insurance factor, and I would doubt the plastic impellers would be enough to shave into the block were something to happen.
Also to go along with the normal fluid/filter change of buying a pre owned car is there anything else I should check out? The ac and steering feel fine (knock on wood). The car only has 69xxx miles and is very apparent the po knew what he had and took care of it. Any and all advice is appreciated and thanked ahead of time.
Oh yea, the CEL did come on and I had the mechanic at work scan it and it came up maf low input which I'm guessing is needing to be cleaned? Denatured alcohol? Thanks again yall.

Oli77
08-05-2014, 04:19 AM
Congrats.

I use MAF cleaner. Yes on the coolant system overhaul. I changed my first water pump at 70k miles or so it was OEM and wobbly. Unless you monitor your engine temp every 12.58 seconds, I would check into it, specially in TX.

TWong1200
08-05-2014, 05:58 AM
I picked up my ZHP less than a month ago and just did my cooling system and Vanos seals last week. Cooling system was preventative but seals were not. Seals made a huge difference, though.

I'd be cautious about using any sort of cleaner on the MAF.

ELCID86
08-05-2014, 06:05 AM
MAF cleaner spray can from the auto parts store.

WOLFN8TR
08-05-2014, 07:42 AM
I live in Las Vegas were the temps are 100-115 in the summer. The first thing I did to my ZHP was the entire cooling system. I replaced everything except the radiator. Also I got the UltraGauge so I can easily monitor the coolant temps, it also has a audible alarm you can set which is really nice. Link is in my sig.

Is yours stick or auto?

TxCracker2316
08-05-2014, 08:01 AM
All the input is extremely helpful I guess I'll be piecing it all together right away. Should I buy the metal thermostat housing? I know I need the metal water pump. Also how hard is the vanos seals? Is there anything else that needs to be replaced or upgraded in the vanos system while I'm in there? I don't mind doing what needs to be done. I plan on having the car for years.

NorCalZman
08-05-2014, 08:46 AM
You dont "need" metal anything. The OEM stuff is fine as long as you change it on schedule. That goes for the hoses, waterpump (composite, not plastic), thermostat, and perhaps most improtantly the expansion tank. just FYI, the date of manufacture should be somewhere on some of the parts like the hoses. If you look around them and maybe with a little mirror you may be able to see when it was made and get an idea of when they were last changed.
Do you have PA Soft yet? If not, get it. And when you do, do the temp gauge mod. This will make your temp gauge show useful temp readings instead of cold/running/overheated it does now. This mod will be all you need as far as temp monitoring if you are the type to check your gauges while you drive. And its a free mod, so theres that too.

As for other stuff, your intake boots are probably torn or soon will be so you should probably just change them if you are going to clean your MAF. Also pull out your DISA and check for function/play. Change that also if needed.

Smilez
08-05-2014, 08:48 AM
like most people said. cooling system. Ours is pretty sensitive.

TxCracker2316
08-05-2014, 09:34 AM
Wow very helpful stuff. Zman, where is the best place to get the pa soft? I'm guessing there is a thread on the gauge mod as well. It appears I have a lot to learn about the car.

NorCalZman
08-05-2014, 10:08 AM
Yes, you will spend hours and hours reading about this car in threads here and e46fanatics. Haha.

Here is a little info to get you started. Do a search on here, google, and e46fanatic for BMW Scanner 1.4 and/or PA Soft. Study up! The BMW scanner is a OBD device that plugs into the car to allow the related windows program, PA Soft, to interface with the car. With this powerful tool you can read/clear all the trouble codes on the car and change a bunch of options on the car via check boxes. ALSO, you can reprogram some modules such as the temp gauge to make it actually useful.

I forget where I ordered my BMW scanner. I think I got the link in one of the PA Soft master threads. It will ship from China, just fyi. It usually contains a disc with PA Soft in it but alot of people worry about malware on the disc. I think a member here would be able to provide the software if that makes you nervous.

Once you get that far, a DIY thread started by me for the temp gauge mod is in the coding section on this forum. It takes 5 minutes.

You have a few choices to purchase OEM parts. You can look up part numbers on realoem.com, and order parts on a dealer online website. I lean towards bmwmercedesparts.com myself.

TxCracker2316
08-05-2014, 10:09 AM
Sorry wolfn8tr it's an auto. I really like the links in your sig. Is the ultragauge you have anything like the pa soft norcalzman suggested?

TxCracker2316
08-05-2014, 10:14 AM
It definitely sounds like a needed tool I should get soon. I had no idea the temp could get out of hand that quickly. I'll be putting in an order for the cooling system soon and will research for the best place for the obdII tool.

TxCracker2316
08-05-2014, 10:26 AM
Ok may be a stupid question, do I really need oem radiator upper and lower hoses? I always have used gates or Goodyear hoses and belts on my American and Japanese vehicles.

NorCalZman
08-05-2014, 10:43 AM
Up to you, I guess. Theres a large contingent of BMW owners who only trust OE or OEM stuff. I mostly subscribe to this for convenience and it being a "safe" choice. I am pushing 100k on my ZHP and it is due for a fuel pump soon as PM. The BMW fuel pump is alot of money, while the same part with the BMW logo scratched off (Siemens) is a fraction of the cost. I will be going with the cheaper option here. Just takes some research before you purchase.

johnrando
08-05-2014, 10:45 AM
No need to apologize for Auto. While you're doing VANOS do your VCG (valve cover gaskets) and spark plugs (if needed), as you'll have to take those off anyway. Lots of threads on it. Also, if you do change your water pump you could go to an uprated Stewart Water Pump, which many feel is better than OEM (but it's not necessary).

As far as code readers, you can just get a basic code scanner by Peake which is easier/cheaper and definitely handles the basics or you can get the s/w on the laptop version which is more functional and gives you coding capabilities but it's not a "must have".

As far as the hoses, I don't know if OEM is better or not. They also have uprated hoses from other companies.

NorCalZman
08-05-2014, 10:54 AM
I dunno. I feel like the pa soft and scanner is among the best 50 bucks I have spent on my car. With it I have activated my alarm, read codes, changed my temp gauge readings, changed my seat heater temps, etc etc. For me it's a must have if you want the ability to do most of this. If you only care about reading codes then yeah any ol OBD device will work.

NoVAphotog
08-05-2014, 11:30 AM
I dunno. I feel like the pa soft and scanner is among the best 50 bucks I have spent on my car. With it I have activated my alarm, read codes, changed my temp gauge readings, changed my seat heater temps, etc etc. For me it's a must have if you want the ability to do most of this. If you only care about reading codes then yeah any ol OBD device will work.

I thought PA soft was way more $?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

johnrando
08-05-2014, 11:57 AM
Plus you need a (semi) dedicated laptop, right?

TxCracker2316
08-05-2014, 11:58 AM
No need to apologize for Auto.

Hahaha. One of the only things I would have changed. The first auto I've owned in like 9 years. To go with M I would have had to gone with an older non zhp with more miles and owners with the available for sale in my area.

I also do like the idea of having the option to play with and control several parametersof the pa soft . But on the other hand I really like the idea of a data screen. Decisions.... Does the pa soft handle light bulb codes if I decide on an exterior led upgrade? If not the dash warning light issue doesn't seem worth it.

I'll stick with oem hoses, the prices difference isn't that much. I just did a visual on the cooling system and it all looks pretty new, the radiator fins are spotless, but I don't want to base off that risking the safety of my engine. The moderate investment is worth the peace of mind of knowing in my eyes.

On my way to the dealer now for oil.

johnrando
08-05-2014, 12:00 PM
The main thing on the cooling system is the expansion tank, and a visual inspection won't help. If you don't have proof of it being changed, just do it. The rest of the stuff s/b fine, but that is THE weakest link.

NorCalZman
08-05-2014, 12:13 PM
I thought PA soft was way more $?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Nope. Cheap.

As for a laptop, depends on what you have. I run pa soft on my MacBook Air running windows XP on a virtual machine. *shrug*

NorCalZman
08-05-2014, 12:18 PM
I also do like the idea of having the option to play with and control several parametersof the pa soft . But on the other hand I really like the idea of a data screen. Decisions.... Does the pa soft handle light bulb codes if I decide on an exterior led upgrade? If not the dash warning light issue doesn't seem worth it.

I have different tools for different purposes. I have the BMW scanner for BMW specific codes and fiddling with options. I have a wireless OBD scanner and iphone app for OBD codes and sensor data which I mount in my Bimmian phone mount when driving. Really, all these things are so cheap theres no reason not to get more than one. Though I dont know how much the Ultra Gauge costs.

I do not know if you can handle light codes with PA Soft. I just did the clear corner upgrade with bulbs. No LEDs. Youll have to do a little research and see what other people have done.

TxCracker2316
08-05-2014, 04:14 PM
All I found on the pa soft was the 1.4 version which is for 3 series for $650+ shipping.

NorCalZman
08-05-2014, 04:20 PM
When I get home from work I'll find where I bought it from. Hang tight.

NorCalZman
08-05-2014, 04:31 PM
Ok I just looked in my old emails. I paid something like 25 bucks for it from some random Chinese seller on eBay. If you do a search for BMW scanner 1.4 (2.0 is for newer BMWs) you will see a ton. If it were me I would just pick a seller and read a few of the feedbacks to make sure there isn't too many comments like "it won't read my DME module!" Or something like that.

Also, here is some bedtime reading for you http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=893444

ELCID86
08-05-2014, 04:32 PM
^thats where I got mine too. Works well.

TxCracker2316
08-05-2014, 05:44 PM
Thanks zman I'm goin to search it now.

webster
08-06-2014, 10:28 AM
I did a complete cooling system overhaul (sans radiator) at 54k miles. Genuine bmw parts. Just something that's got to be done.

WOLFN8TR
08-06-2014, 11:31 AM
Sorry wolfn8tr it's an auto. I really like the links in your sig. Is the ultragauge you have anything like the pa soft norcalzman suggested?

The UltraGauge is a OBII powered display unit, It can also read and clear codes. When I did the Mechanical Fan Delete I wanted something with a audible coolant temp alarm, especially for when my wife drives the car. For $61 you cant go wrong.

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

FYI- There is a transmission Tstat located under the Expansion Tank. I broke mine changing my tank.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AM2952U/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=SYJMV6DEMIXV&coliid=IGFL7W892OMCL

TxCracker2316
08-06-2014, 03:32 PM
The ultragauge plus is looking pretty trick. Reads real time cat, o2,a/f, egr/vanos, misfire cylinder, and performance like 0-60 et 1/8 1/4 and braking. Wouldn't use the et thing but I like the readiness monitor on top of all the features on standard ultra gauge. Worth the extra $9.

TxCracker2316
08-06-2014, 04:01 PM

Got the tint done today, much better.

The dumb dumb at the tint shop said that this is normal that they all have this on the defrost dots, I'm not buying it and it's going to drive me nuts. Will it go away or should I try to squeegee it myself.

danewilson77
08-06-2014, 04:04 PM
Mine didn't look that bad. I think he could have done a better job, though I'm no tint expert. Some of that should go away on its own as well.

The friendliest forum on the planet.

ELCID86
08-06-2014, 04:17 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/07/huve2u5y.jpg

Should look like this

TxCracker2316
08-06-2014, 04:21 PM
Elcid86 yours looks like it has less dots but I could live with a small strip like that. Now it just looks he didn't even try.

danewilson77
08-06-2014, 04:22 PM
Elcid86 yours looks like it has less dots but I could live with a small strip like that. Now it just looks he didn't even try.
Exactly. Zero effort imho.

The friendliest forum on the planet!

TxCracker2316
08-06-2014, 04:34 PM
I just went out and tried with the little weeny squeegee and spray from my zagg screen protector kit and it looks a little better. I figured I should probably leave it alone for a day or two to see what happens.

ELCID86
08-06-2014, 04:42 PM
If it doesn't look better (and I don't think it will) take it back. Some shops will cut it lower and leave the bubbles in done or use vinyl(?) for that section.

WOLFN8TR
08-07-2014, 04:47 AM
Give it a few days in the sun, once the trapped moisture dries it should look better.

TxCracker2316
08-07-2014, 10:11 AM
Thanks guys, from afar it's not bad but I know it's there. I'm hoping this radiant tx sun helps clear it up. I started looking at other cars we've had him tint and some are fine and others are the same as mine. We just had an 03 325i we had him do and it was perfect so I really hope time helps it.

johnrando
08-07-2014, 10:43 AM
Hope so. Nothing like that happened when I got my tint so fingers crossed for you.