PDA

View Full Version : This happened Again! On the way back from Bimmerfest

Sockethead
08-04-2014, 08:37 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/05/uqyrejyh.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/05/9aju8a8e.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/05/a7a8y3u8.jpg

So I broke another wheel on the way back from Bimmerfest. This is the third wheel that has cracked in the spokes. I thought it was because the originals saw a lot of track time but this one was a new wheel. IDK I think that maybe they heated the wheels too much during the powder coating process and turned the wheels into butter. This happened on 295 going over a bridge. That shouldn't of damaged them like that. I had the twins with me too. I was stuck on the side of the road for over an hour because the stock lug wrench is too shallow to fit over the studs. A lot of cars from the event passed me but no one stopped to help.

I'm done with Breyton wheels. I've got thousands invested in the these wheels and the custom powder coating. I'm pretty depressed about it. I stuck with them because they looked so damn good on my car but now they are all going to be scrapped
Looks like l'll be getting VMR 703 in hyper black when I can afford them. Until then, the car will be sitting in the garage... Probably for a long time.

Smilez
08-04-2014, 08:41 AM
Damn sorry to hear. :( when i was rocking some 540 m wheels I kept cracking them until I decided to get bbs lm reps

Hornung418
08-04-2014, 08:44 AM
Bummer Rob, you cant file a claim with them? Wheels shouldn't break like that.

Sent from my GS3.

Sockethead
08-04-2014, 08:52 AM
Bummer Rob, you cant file a claim with them? Wheels shouldn't break like that.

Sent from my GS3.

When I researched on the Internet, I didn't find anyone that had them cracking in the spokes. I did find people with them cracking in the barrel. Breyton will blame the powder coater and the powder coater will blame Breyton.

Hornung418
08-04-2014, 08:53 AM
Doesn't hurt to try though. Would hate to see you get screwed.

Sent from my GS3.

Sockethead
08-04-2014, 09:03 AM
Doesn't hurt to try though. Would hate to see you get screwed.

Sent from my GS3.

Yea you're right, doesn't hurt to try. I'm just sick of my car right now. I don't even feel like touching it right now.... I also noticed that one of my new CF mirror shells is de-laminating. Turner will RMA it but now I have to disassemble all of that shit again.

az3579
08-04-2014, 09:51 AM
You have got to be kidding me, man...

ELCID86
08-04-2014, 10:07 AM
Rob, so sorry. I saw a guy admiring your wheels and warned that two had broken previously. They do look hot though.

danewilson77
08-04-2014, 10:29 AM
Ugh. Sorry Rob.

Sockethead
08-04-2014, 10:58 AM
Yea I'm hoping that the VMR 703 in hyper black will be close to the look I had with the Breytons

NorCal-Dimitri
08-04-2014, 11:03 AM
May I recommend not getting VMR? I ordered V718s and two of them didn't survive shipping.

Avetiso
08-04-2014, 11:05 AM
Damn.

wrigleybm3
08-04-2014, 11:07 AM
Well that's no good...I would definitely try your case and just present it with confidence that its not an issue other than a bad quality wheel. Sometimes being a pain as a customer can pay off. Just remember if you were a service or business, you wouldn't want an unhappy customer screaming your ear off and would probably try and help them, so why not try. Good luck, and don't give up on the car, its not her fault lol.

Vas
08-04-2014, 11:10 AM
APEX wheels maybe? But that sucks.

NorCal-Dimitri
08-04-2014, 11:24 AM
APEX wheels maybe? But that sucks.

+1, Arcs would be sex.

JKO_ZHP
08-04-2014, 12:04 PM
That sucks.......although it is too late to say, but powder coating is always a risk from the various threads I've seen no matter what kind of car it's on....
And no offense to any VMR owners but I would not recommend getting them. I was set on VMR for a long time but then ModBargains as well as wheel fanatics online told me that their process of creating their wheels is less advanced than factory specs.

Correct me if I am wrong but VMR's are made with a gravity-cast process. So, think of someone pouring molten metal into a mold to make the wheels; gravity is what causes it to fall into the mold.

Factory BMW wheels are made with at least a low-pressure cast process if not other advanced processes (ex: forged for the M's/Alpina's maybe?) which means just that - low pressure is used to push the molten material into the mold = denser, stronger, and more expensive to do than gravity-cast.

So if you are buying VMR's, the fact is, they are not as strong as our factory style 135s, or any other BMW wheel for that matter.
I'm not saying VMR is crap, cheap, or that they will break on you ever because they may very well last you forever, just that their process is one below even BMW/most other carmaker's for their factory wheels.

brettbimmer
08-04-2014, 12:20 PM
Oh man...sorry to hear about the wheel troubles again Rob! It's a serious case of deja-vu with leaving Bimmerfest and having troubles with the wheels. Glad that it didn't totally fail while driving. Hope you are able to get a good remedy in the near future.

Sockethead
08-04-2014, 12:22 PM
At this point I can only afford "cheap" wheels after investing so much on the Breytons.
Kpro has a relationship with VMR through her Acura dealership so I feel confident that any issues would be taken care of. We have VMRs on her 135 as well as our MDX and so far so good.

johnrando
08-04-2014, 01:08 PM
So sorry to hear Rob. Always thought those wheels looked so good on your car. What a pain to go through.

330i ZHP
08-04-2014, 01:20 PM
Damn sorry to hear. :( when i was rocking some 540 m wheels I kept cracking them until I decided to get bbs lm reps

I was wondering, why do you have BBS center caps?

and

Rob, sucks to hear you had more problems with those wheels

cakM3
08-04-2014, 01:46 PM
Just catching up and I see this thread.....

Very sorry to hear Rob!

Sockethead
01-29-2017, 05:53 PM
I just wanted to update this old thread with my thoughts on this.
Looking back, now that I have the Konis on the car again for about a year, I'm convinced that the Bilstein sports bottoming out was the cause of the wheels cracking. I had a picture of the Bilsteins and konis next to each other in a thread somewhere and the Bilsteins are significantly shorter. They also have an internal bump stop.
Thinking about it, every time the wheels cracked, it was after bottoming out. This would also explain why the previous owner never had a problem with the wheels in the 4 years he owned the 135 ( the wheels were originally on that car). That car is running KW V2s
I wish I had figured this out a long time ago. I really miss those wheels!

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp325/r_powell123/_DSC3959_zpsd8wqtwcd.jpg

danewilson77
01-30-2017, 07:51 PM
I just wanted to update this old thread with my thoughts on this.
Looking back, now that I have the Konis on the car again for about a year, I'm convinced that the Bilstein sports bottoming out was the cause of the wheels cracking. I had a picture of the Bilsteins and konis next to each other in a thread somewhere and the Bilsteins are significantly shorter. They also have an internal bump stop.
Thinking about it, every time the wheels cracked, it was after bottoming out. This would also explain why the previous owner never had a problem with the wheels in the 4 years he owned the 135 ( the wheels were originally on that car). That car is running KW V2s
I wish I had figured this out a long time ago. I really miss those wheels!

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp325/r_powell123/_DSC3959_zpsd8wqtwcd.jpg
Don't tell ModBargains.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Sockethead
01-31-2017, 07:14 AM
Haha I re read those threads while looking for the one about the twins... What mess that was!