PDA

View Full Version : Suspension clunk/knock, possibly RTAB failure?

mindspin311
08-04-2014, 07:11 AM
So, last week I started hearing a clunk/knock noise from the right rear of the car.

Put the car up in the air to do a visual inspection. I was worried that I had a subframe failure. I poked around and everything seemed OK.

I took a rubber mallet and started tapping on various suspension bits, everything seemed solid and in place.

I then checked all the various nuts and bolts to make sure everything was tight. The worst I found were the upper shock mounts in the trunk. I got maybe a half turn out of the 2 12mm nuts.

At that point I was stumped. I proceeded to recruit my wife to hang her head out the back window to look at the right rear wheel to see if there was any movement.

As we were driving down the road, she felt a knocking through the rear seat, specifically very close to the door itself. Coincidentally, that is exactly where the RTAB mounts.

So, what is the possibility that my RTAB has just complete torn? When I was under the car, I could pry the trailing arm from side to side, but it didnt seem any worse than the driver's side.

What could I use to try and shim the trailing arm in place temporarily to see if the noise goes away?

wrigleybm3
08-04-2014, 06:51 PM
BUMP^^Hey guys, this is a fellow Atlanta ZHP member, and a new one. Anyone that has some additional knowledge that may help Justin, please be forthcoming. I hate that he is having such a problem in the early part of his recent ownership of such an amazing car. Once I can get myself to see the car in person I will do what I can, but my time has been strained.

Oli77
08-04-2014, 07:20 PM
I am no help but perhaps knowing more about the driving conditions necessary to replicate the noise would help. Is it happening while accelerating, braking or turning or going over bumps or just decelerating?

mindspin311
08-05-2014, 04:41 AM
I am no help but perhaps knowing more about the driving conditions necessary to replicate the noise would help. Is it happening while accelerating, braking or turning or going over bumps or just decelerating?

Happens all the time. Most prevalent over bumps.

mindspin311
08-05-2014, 04:42 AM
BUMP^^Hey guys, this is a fellow Atlanta ZHP member, and a new one. Anyone that has some additional knowledge that may help Justin, please be forthcoming. I hate that he is having such a problem in the early part of his recent ownership of such an amazing car. Once I can get myself to see the car in person I will do what I can, but my time has been strained.
Also, this guy, stand-up dude. I havent even met him face to face yet!

CarbonZHP
08-05-2014, 09:06 AM
Right now I have a knock when I reverse and hit the brakes. One solid thunk. Its not anything moving in the trunk. Also happens if I blip a downshift and lurch forward quickly.

Dave1027
08-09-2014, 07:50 AM
Than that means it's not the brakes. Probably rear bushing/suspension related

mindspin311
08-14-2014, 06:53 AM
So, it turned out to be a blown shock.

Oli77
08-14-2014, 04:28 PM
Good hunting! How many miles? original shock?

mindspin311
08-14-2014, 06:26 PM
Good hunting! How many miles? original shock?

BC Coilovers, 16k miles on the shocks.

Oli77
08-14-2014, 06:45 PM
Dang! That's not good.

scooby24
10-21-2014, 08:36 AM
I had that clunking due to the driver's side rear trailing arm bolt had worked its way loose. No idea how, but found it by hammering on them with a rubber mallet, could hear the clunk. Tightened and the clunk went away...maybe worked its way loose again?