PDA

View Full Version : First Post, but not my first visit!!

JGomon
07-24-2014, 02:45 PM
Hello,
Jeff Gomon from Lincoln Nebraska. Good friends with fellow Mafia members Tkundhi and Gmurphy and am President of the Great Plains Chapter, BMW CCA. Been CCA member since 1992. Currently own a 2005 Highland Green 4.4i X5 with the Sport Package. Also have an Alpine White 1991 ///M5 and a Verona Red 1970 '02. First BMW was a 1985 325e sedan in Diamond Schwartz.

Been gleaning much information off this list for the past few months learning about this awesome car. Well, I found one that finally caught my attention, meets most all my needs and is scheduled for a PPI at Bimmerhaus Racing in Boulder Colorado tomorrow. The owner is moving on to an M3 so decided to post the ZHP on CraigsList. Here is the Auction. If everything is as advertised and per our conversations, I should wrap it up tomorrow.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4566788417.html

I wanted a coupe, I wanted Imola, I wanted the natural brown, great service records, under 100k miles, no more than $14k and an 05 or 06....good on all those. What it doesn't have is heated seats and, for some strange reason, no Xenon headlights. I'm figuring I can do the seat heater elements with OE parts pretty easily, but those darn headlights. I MUST have Xenon or HID headllights on this car. It does have the projector lenses as you can see in the pictures. In my E34 M5 I just bought the HID kit with the bulbs, ballasts and fault cancelers and they work great for years. For any of those members who have also retrofitted HID's into their ZHP, what is recommended as a course of action? Find a used set of OE Xenon headlight assemblies or just buy the HID retrofit bulb/ballast kits with the correct Kelvin color band matching BMW? I do NOT care for some of the aftermarket headlight assemblies I see online coming out of China or Japan. The units that have the Angel Eye rings installed are also not prefered.
If I find a set of used BMW Xenon headlight assemblies, will it just plug in or will there be some coding involved or additional wiring? I'll stop with that and see where this goes.

Hopefully the inspection goes well and I have good news to report. Oh, if I do buy it, she is traveling to Omaha to visit Family next Thursday with her mother and said she could deliver!!! That saves me airfare and some time for sure. The timing could not be better.

Don Adolfo
07-24-2014, 02:50 PM
Benvenutto a la famiglia. Looks sweet; great deal. That's quite a collection. I wanna be like you.

ELCID86
07-24-2014, 02:56 PM
Great looking car. I saw it on CL. Welcome.

Hermes
07-24-2014, 03:05 PM
I'm pretty sure those are hid, I've never seen a halogen e46 with projector lenses

Avetiso
07-24-2014, 03:08 PM
Welcome!

Avetiso
07-24-2014, 03:09 PM
I'm pretty sure those are hid, I've never seen a halogen e46 with projector lenses
Ian's car was like that. Projectors, but halogen.

Hermes
07-24-2014, 03:28 PM
NM, found a pic. I guess coupes have ellipsoids halogens. I would still try to get an entire HID headlight as the actual lenses would be focused differently

QC_ZHP
07-24-2014, 03:50 PM
Welcome, good looking car. Does Gmurphy wear a DINAN t-shirt everyday? Haha

gmurphy
07-24-2014, 04:08 PM
Welcome, good looking car. Does Gmurphy wear a DINAN t-shirt everyday? Haha

You know it! ;)

Welcome Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danewilson77
07-24-2014, 05:08 PM
Welcome. Long live the CCA!

The friendliest forum on the planet.

Pip
07-24-2014, 05:15 PM
Would love to see pics of the cars when you have time. Hope the z works out as well.

JupiterBMW
07-24-2014, 05:19 PM
Welcome to the board, the prospective car looks great. A very classic color combo... Beautiful car, hope it works out for you.

Oli77
07-24-2014, 05:25 PM
Welcome to the fold and enjoy your trip back!

johnrando
07-24-2014, 10:16 PM
Welcome. GL on the car. Go Huskers!

fredo
07-25-2014, 08:50 AM
Welcome, sir ! Can't wait for an update on the ZHP. GL !

JGomon
07-25-2014, 01:35 PM
Would love to see pics of the cars when you have time. Hope the z works out as well.
If I could figure out how to post them, I would. I see a tab above for attaching videos, but where is the picture tab. It cant be this difficult, can it!?!? When I select the "Insert Image" icon it asks me for the URL of my picture?!?! Its on the hard drive of my MacBook Pro, not online. What gives.... again, there has to be an easier way than posting pictures online and then directing the search engine to them.

JGomon
07-25-2014, 01:42 PM
Welcome. GL on the car. Go Huskers!
Thanks John....and yet another Southern Cal Husker.....They are a pretty sizable and active group. We see lots of them in town on gameday. Just waiting for the PPI report to arrive via email. It sounds good so far....

Captain Hindsight
07-25-2014, 01:55 PM
OEM HIDs should be plug and play save for a little coding. Without coding your low beams will strobe, disco style. I did the retrofit on my sedan and they work great after coding.

The only downside to this retrofit is that you lose the highbeam function of pushing the stalk forward. Highbeams do still work, but they can only be used by pulling the stalk backwards. I believe if you can alleviate this problem if you find an LCM from a HID vehicle (rumored). Again, this was for sedan, I'm not sure if the coupe will be different. The headlight housings are totally different on a coupe.