PDA

View Full Version : Ethanol-free or Shell V-Power

3ZHP
07-20-2014, 06:44 PM
Question;

I've been burning nothing but Shell V-Power in my ZHP for more than 5 years. However, in the area I'm now living Ethanol-free is readily available and the only problem I have with that is. These stations that sell it are mom & pop shops with no major branding label.

So, would it be better to stay with the trusted major brand V-Power or, take a chance on the mom & pops shops pure gasoline?

gmurphy
07-21-2014, 03:54 AM
I wouldn't personally because V-Power meets top tier fuel requirements. If you are worried about the pump having ethanol left over from the previous owner I know they make kits that supposedly you can dump into your tank and get rid of most of the ethanol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JupiterBMW
07-21-2014, 03:57 AM
Something else to think about... I started searching for ethanol-free stations near me and found plenty... The only problem was that the ethanol free gas they were selling was only 90 octane... In my area, it was for all of the boaters, not really meant for cars. Also, the stuff was expensive!

I'll stick to my regular fuel... 93 octane from BP.

danewilson77
07-21-2014, 03:58 AM
Something else to think about... I started searching for ethanol-free stations near me and found plenty... The only problem was that the ethanol free gas they were selling was only 90 octane... In my area, it was for all of the boaters, not really meant for cars. Also, the stuff was expensive!

I'll stick to my regular fuel... 93 octane from BP.

BP brings you gas?

JupiterBMW
07-21-2014, 04:12 AM
Hah, not like that... I don't exactly have a direct line from my ship to my garage... But we have BP stations down this way, and I choose to shop there. Its the least I can do considering how many hours on the clock I spend screwing around with car related stuff.. :eeps

llll1l1ll
07-21-2014, 04:28 AM
I'd probably stick with Shell. Who knows where the mom and pop shop is getting their gas. Granted, since I live in Baltimore, I have a feeling all the fuel around here is from the same facility. I see the same trucks over and over. In any case, my point is stick with a brand you trust. If BMW were to suddenly say that Shell/BP/Exxon blow and you now should really only get mom and pop gas in Dickel, TN, they might tell everybody.

Jon D
07-21-2014, 05:01 AM
FWIW my Indy recently told us to switch to Chevron/Texaco. It seems our German cars really like Techron in the fuel. We were having an issue with misfires in the Audi, he cleared the codes and said switch. Both Cars [Audi 3.0 / ZHP] running better since we did.

Vas
07-21-2014, 05:24 AM
I run ethanol free gas in my zhp.

gmurphy
07-21-2014, 05:55 AM
BP brings you gas?

:rofl that must be nice

3ZHP
07-21-2014, 06:07 AM
Thanks guys, great input

NoVAphotog
07-21-2014, 07:11 AM
I mean...I just got the Dinan CheapskateBooster installed ($785, 3 points towards badge), at the press of a button I can run regular 87 w/ 15% Ethanol, no knocking. Two thumbs up. A+++

NoVAphotog
07-21-2014, 07:15 AM
In all seriousness, I run predominantly Shell V-Power and would stick with it. But that's me and I have yet to see a station around my area that runs pure, I'm sure there are, but if it's out of the way I'm not too keen on it.

JupiterBMW
07-21-2014, 08:46 AM
I run ethanol free gas in my zhp.

What octane are you able to get? Cost?

gmurphy
07-21-2014, 09:46 AM
I mean...I just got the Dinan CheapskateBooster installed ($785, 3 points towards badge), at the press of a button I can run regular 87 w/ 15% Ethanol, no knocking. Two thumbs up. A+++

Good find. Although that's only 2 points.... Sorry bud

Johnmadd
07-21-2014, 10:57 AM

I am able to get non ethanol 93 octane for cheaper than v-power local. I tend to look down on the small unbranded stations and always run shell or equivalent in the zhp although my e30 has run both and I have never really noticed much if any difference. Maybe I'll give the zhp a drink of the pure uncut 100 proof and see if it is noticeable.

hardrivn
07-21-2014, 11:20 AM
E Free would be my choice better MPG from the same engine usually means you have more power, more power more better :)

Vas
07-21-2014, 11:50 AM

93 Octane - no Ethanol Roughly $3.75 IIRC. $60 fill up

JupiterBMW
07-21-2014, 11:58 AM
Huh, that's cool. I can't get the full 93 octane in Ethanol free around where I am... Maybe I'll have to keep looking.

Hornung418
07-21-2014, 12:12 PM
BP brings you gas?

Zing!

Sent from my GS3.

RITmusic2k
07-22-2014, 01:13 PM
Maybe I'll give the zhp a drink of the pure uncut 100 proof and see if it is noticeable. For what it's worth, unless you're running a custom tune to take advantage of it, if you're not experiencing any detonation on the typical diet of 93 octane you won't see additional performance benefits from filling it with 100... other than the weight savings in your wallet.

Johnmadd
07-22-2014, 01:55 PM
For what it's worth, unless you're running a custom tune to take advantage of it, if you're not experiencing any detonation on the typical diet of 93 octane you won't see additional performance benefits from filling it with 100... other than the weight savings in your wallet.

True.

bimmergofast
07-25-2014, 03:04 PM
93 Octane - no Ethanol Roughly $3.75 IIRC. $60 fill up

Same here. It's a small town, so I don't have to go to far out of my way , but it does take a bit of planning to be sure I always fill up on the right side of town. My car isn't fond of ethanol...