PDA

View Full Version : New member Chicago area

Edo
07-15-2014, 03:53 PM
I'm Ed and still looking for a car. The big one is 6 speed which I prefer, the downside is lots of slow, heavy traffic. Does the auto detract greatly from the performance or feel? I currently have an Audi V8 with the ZF 5 speed tip. Trans has worked well for 150,000

Also, should I be concerned with the cam rattle issue I heave read a bit about?

thanks Ed

danewilson77
07-15-2014, 04:04 PM
I drove my son's auto back from Fort Knox the other day (about 2.5 hours). I have a 6 speed, but I was very happy driving his car.

I think the fella's on this forum are pretty happy with their auto's.

The friendliest forum on the planet.

Edo
07-15-2014, 06:43 PM
Going out on a limb this early, do we have any member's in the Memphis area? Found a car there, but don't have real detailed pics. With 38,000 miles, there "should" not be too much wrong with it.

johnrando
07-15-2014, 09:25 PM
Welcome. Age old debate, auto vs. manual. I drive the auto and it's fine. The "manual" steptronic shifts are slower than they should be to me, but it's not a showstopper. Manual is the way to go for these cars if you can find one, but I would not NOT get one just because it was auto (depending on your reasons for wanting one or the other). As for Memphis members, we might have someone near. 38K miles is pretty low.

Oli77
07-16-2014, 05:38 AM
Welcome. You must be talking about the VANOS rattle. If it there it is apparently obvious (I have never heard it personally, apart from some youtube videos).

Since you say lots of heavy traffic, I would stick to an auto.

There is a thread where you ask people to take a look at a car for you here. (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?4294-I-Need-Someone-To-Check-Out-A-BMW-330-ZHP-For-Me)

bshovers
07-16-2014, 09:51 AM
There's a MT for sale or tade in Milwaukee for 8 grand salvage title though. Also a MT imola coupe in the Chicago areas for 7500 I think 13X,XXX something in Chicago. Just search zhp on craigslist they'll both pop up. I'm a half hour south of Milwaukee let me know if you want me to check any of them out. Also I have a guy who works at perillo bmw who does side work with his friend for half the price of a dealership. Both are master techs and have 25 years experience combined between the both of them. Happy hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fredo
07-19-2014, 06:19 PM
Welcome, and good luck finding "the one" !

CarbonZHP
07-20-2014, 04:53 PM
For where I am and what I do, I wish I had a manual. But I do love being able to wring the autos neck and not have to worry about it.

pilotnick1203
07-22-2014, 05:10 PM
Depends on the Driver, I myself don't like the auto all too well, swapping it to a 6spd because it makes no sense to repair my auto right now. From what I've heard the ZHP has a good clutch feel and isn't all too bad in traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk