PDA

View Full Version : Possible starter issue?

kowww
06-21-2014, 09:44 PM
Been looking through threads on various forums and trying to determine what is going on with my car.

Basically, it will start but it takes anywhere from one to four tries to fire up.
I had autozone check the battery and it tested fine, as well as the alternator.
The fuel pump seems to be working fine, I can hear it turn on and start working if I turn the key all the way without starting the engine.

If I let the car sit for a few hours and try to start it, I get the issues of it failing to start. However, if I drive the car around for awhile and try to start it again soon after it fires up on the first try.

Took a video, hopefully it gives some idea of whats going on: http://youtu.be/GJSG9JI_FDg

Avetiso
06-21-2014, 09:52 PM
Have you replaced your fuel pump relay?

Don't think it's your starter, anyhow.

QC_ZHP
06-22-2014, 04:55 AM
Starter should be fine if its turning over like that. Probably a fuel/ignition issue.

MrMaico
06-22-2014, 10:28 AM
I don't know, I think I might have to disagree.......is it always happening just the way it sounds in the video? It sounds to me like the starter solenoid is kicking out/disengaging to soon, before the engine fires up. That can be from a bad starter solenoid. I see they can be bought separately from the starter but if I was going to the trouble of removing the starter I'd just replace the thing.

Hard to tell just from a video but that's what it sounds like to me.

3ZHPGUY
06-22-2014, 11:33 AM
I don't think it's the starter. I just had one diagnosed as bad by a dealer service dept. the symptom was; turn the key all the way to the crank position and nothing happened. After cycling through the process 3 or 4 times the starter engaged and it started. We were told that eventually the starter would never engage and leave us dead.

Personally is sounds like it's starving for fuel. spray some carburetor cleaner or ether in the intake and see if it runs longer. If that's the case check, the pump, pump relay, filter and make sure you have gas in it.

Avetiso
06-22-2014, 11:54 AM
I don't know, I think I might have to disagree.......is it always happening just the way it sounds in the video? It sounds to me like the starter solenoid is kicking out/disengaging to soon, before the engine fires up. That can be from a bad starter solenoid. I see they can be bought separately from the starter but if I was going to the trouble of removing the starter I'd just replace the thing.

Hard to tell just from a video but that's what it sounds like to me.

Possibly, but replacing the relay would be prudent to avoid doing a much bigger job unnecessarily.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

kowww
06-22-2014, 12:42 PM
It usually happens how it is in the video.
I've had it turn all the way a few times and have nothing happen (which has lead me to think its the starter) a handful of times since I got the car but the majority of the time its exactly like the video.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have the starter purchased and just wanted to check everything else it could be since replacing the starter does not look like fun at all. Based on what you guys have suggested I'm going to give replacing the relay + filter+ carb cleaner a shot first and go from there.

MrMaico
06-22-2014, 12:49 PM
Possibly, but replacing the relay would be prudent to avoid doing a much bigger job unnecessarily.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

For sure! You definitely want to try the easier, cheaper stuff first. It would be good if you could have an experienced mechanic somewhere listen to what it's doing.

Hermes
06-22-2014, 01:04 PM
I'm betting fuel related, but I can see how it could be the starter. You might also want to think about ignition cylinder, I've had to replace that on the red car too because it wasn't sending signal to the starter all the time

ZHPRegistry.net
06-22-2014, 04:36 PM
I would check fuel pressure 1st. Rule our weak pump or any fuel supply electrical components.

MrMaico
06-25-2014, 07:32 AM
Any news?

kowww
06-27-2014, 01:51 PM
Swapped the fuel pump relay with the horn relay and it starts every second time now.
When it does start, it does so much stronger than before. But it still doesn't start the first time.
I'm thinking it might be a combo of the starter+ the fuel pump relay. So far it beats having to try 3-5 times to get it to start!

Waiting on hoses for the fuel filter since there is no way those things are coming off. Sadly don't have any shops near me to buy parts so its always a waiting game :(

kowww
07-01-2014, 02:41 PM
Just an update.
Tried to start her this morning, wouldn't engage starter but fuel pump would turn on.
Checked battery and it was showing 12.2v, had a friend jump start me, battery now reads 14v and now its started perfectly fine every time.
Took it on a 100-mile drive and its been starting as strong as when I first got it. Wondering if I have a short or something somewhere thats draining the battery when I leave it off for a few days at a time.

ryankokesh
07-01-2014, 04:04 PM
If it jump started and the battery reads 12.2v I bet the battery is still bad. If it doesn't have enough amperes to get the car going it could still read adequate voltage. At least this is my understanding.

Dollars to donuts it'll be fine if you toss a new battery in.

Sent from my iPhone

kowww
07-03-2014, 01:43 PM
Borrowed a battery from a buddy of mine and it wouldn't start at al. Dropped my battery into his car and it started right up, which rules out the battery. Had to give in and have it towed to an Indy shop in town. Got quoted $480 for a new Bosch starter including labor. Hoping that's all that's wrong and its not something electrical

MrMaico
07-04-2014, 10:36 AM
Borrowed a battery from a buddy of mine and it wouldn't start at al. Dropped my battery into his car and it started right up, which rules out the battery. Had to give in and have it towed to an Indy shop in town. Got quoted $480 for a new Bosch starter including labor. Hoping that's all that's wrong and its not something electrical

Hopefully that will take care of it! When you say it wouldn't start at all, was the starter turning but not engaging or wasn't it even turning?

kowww
07-04-2014, 03:50 PM
The starter wasn't even turning at all. It just sat there dead

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

kowww
07-08-2014, 03:11 PM
Update!

Had her towed to a local indy shop after it flat out stopped trying to turn over.
$528 later a new starter was dropped in.
Starts good as new. Seems like the starter was the root cause of all my issues after all.

MrMaico
07-09-2014, 05:44 AM
Good to hear! I'm dreading the day it happens to me.

llll1l1ll
07-18-2014, 07:01 AM
I was definitely not thinking it was the starter!