PDA

View Full Version : Identify this connector.

riverwolf
06-21-2014, 05:36 PM
Also posted at E46f for those that read both sites.

Shall we play a game? How about "what is it" ?

I did a drain/refill on the transmission and diff today. While doing the trans, I noticed this electrical connector that appears to be looking for a home. Admittedly, I didn't remove the reinforcement plate, but otherwise I looked pretty hard to find a socket to connect it to. I also went through the Bentley sections on engine and trans removal, but nothing seemed to match.

For perspective reference, this is looking forward from the driver's side (left for any UK influenced readers) of the 6MT. The cable appears to come down from the rear of the engine bay and has a retaining clip to the oil pan about 12" before the connector. The used car lot I bought from did say they'd had the FCABs replaced and this cable is in that area (notice backside of FCAB in 1st and 3rd photo). It seems possible it was pulled loose or disconnected intentionally while doing the FCABs, but not put back.

Car has been running fine for the 1K+ I've had it and no lights, but I still want to put this back where it belongs. Thanks for any and all help.

-Brent

Avetiso
06-21-2014, 06:43 PM
That almost looks like the end of an O2 sensor, as if it had fallen from all the way on top of the engine. You would have gotten a code for that, though.

riverwolf
06-22-2014, 07:23 AM
A friend of a friend appears to have correctly identified it as the oil level sensor (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=600818). Finally found a use for Facebook. :-) Of course, that now raises the question of why I've got no low oil level warning light if the sensor is disconnected.

Hornung418
06-22-2014, 07:32 AM
Yeah oil level sender.

Sent from my GS3.