GOLDNSPOTS
06-07-2014, 06:40 PM
Does not turn over.
Light come on.
Autozone checks batter okay
Still, tried new battery and no start
Autozone checks alternator okay
Checked fuses related to ignition in glove box, they're okay

Possible fuel pump? (Looked at Dane's fuel pump DIY. http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?4521-BMW-330i-ZHP-fuel-pump-DIY-doityourself)

How do I confirm that's it?

Had an autocross schedule for tomorrow, but that off now.

LivesNearCostco
06-07-2014, 10:32 PM
Listen or have someone listen to fuel pump when you turn key to on before starting engine. It should make a soft whine as it pressurizes the line. you can easily remove the lower rear seat cushion by lifting up in the front of the cushion to hear the fuel pump better. If it's not making any noise when you turn the key, it's not pumping. You could also check the schraeder valve on the fuel rail with a rag to see if you have fuel pressure, but I think you have to remove the plastic fuel rail cover to do that, and removing that cover might require removing the cabin air filter housing.

But uh, if it doesn't turn over, your fuel pump is not the problem, or at least not your only problem.

If battery is okay and tried new battery with no luck, then it's one of 4 things: bad starter, EWS (anti-theft), loose engine grounds, or crankshaft position sensor. Maybe have someone tap the starter with a long extension or breaker bar while you try to start it?

NorCal-Dimitri
06-07-2014, 11:19 PM
My money is on the starter motor. Mine went out a month or two ago with the same symptoms.

GOLDNSPOTS
06-08-2014, 11:04 AM
I push-started and drove home an hour from the golf course so it's not the fuel pump.

If it's the starter, I saw a few videos and posts that made changing it seem impossible and something I should take to the dealer for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GOLDNSPOTS
06-08-2014, 11:06 AM
NorCal-Dimiti,
How did you fixe your starter? Dealer or shop? Any clue or guess how much that will cost me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorCal-Dimitri
06-08-2014, 10:51 PM
I brought mine to a bmw only shop. The part was $284 and labor was $309. The serviceman said that it's a very difficult fix, especially if the car has an automatic transmission.

TheFinanceGuy
06-09-2014, 04:39 AM
Reading through this (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=732743)doesn't make is sound impossible, however, looks pretty straight forward if you are handy with a wrench.

Best of luck

mindspin311
06-09-2014, 06:20 AM
What about EWS? Got a 2nd key to try?

GOLDNSPOTS
06-12-2014, 06:41 AM
Sure enough, was the starter. Bosch starter $270 (with lifetime warraty) and labor $280, total $550.

ELCID86
06-12-2014, 06:52 AM
Glad you got it sorted out. That's about 3 hours labor, right?

Trans
06-12-2014, 09:40 AM
Wow I would expect more for labor. Starters on E46 are no fun. Also $270 is alot for the starter. A remanned Bosch is only around $130.

LivesNearCostco
06-12-2014, 01:18 PM
True, but my Bosch remanned started has something like a 4 year warranty, not lifetime warranty. And $280 seems a good price for the labor. My starter DIY took like 6 hours. But if I were doing it again I could probably do it in 4 hours.

ELCID86
06-12-2014, 02:59 PM
True, but my Bosch remanned started has something like a 4 year warranty, not lifetime warranty. And $280 seems a good price for the labor. My starter DIY took like 6 hours. But if I were doing it again I could probably do it in 4 hours.

Wow. That really sounds like a PITA and worth writing the check.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.