PDA

View Full Version : Finally going to do it....

94jedi
06-06-2014, 09:40 AM
So I've been putting off some maintenance "until the spring" now it's time to show the ZHP some love.

I'm planning on replacing the FCABs and RTABs. Is this something I should attempt myself or should I just have the local indy shop do it?

As for parts, I'm planning on Powerflex poly units.
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Suspension/Bushings/ES2651031/

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Suspension/Bushings/ES2652013/

What do you guys think? I'd like a bit more of a "sporty" feel, although the car currently has ~ 94k on it, and I'm sure the suspension is 100% original, so OE units may provide what I'm looking for.

I'm used to some stiff suspensions but I also don't want to go straight delrin bushings lol.

What would you guys do?

Avetiso
06-06-2014, 09:52 AM
Do it yourself. You'll need a jaw puller for the fronts and a MIS RTAB tool for the rear. If you want a sportier feel, go with Z4M bushings front and back.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

94jedi
06-06-2014, 10:01 AM
Do it yourself. You'll need a jaw puller for the fronts and a MIS RTAB tool for the rear. If you want a sportier feel, go with Z4M bushings front and back.

So you wouldn't do poly? What's the reasoning? Too harsh?

Avetiso
06-06-2014, 10:04 AM
So you wouldn't do poly? What's the reasoning? Too harsh?

I just prefer OEM. Poly can be too stiff at times. Plus with the Z4M fronts, you'll get a caster increase, which is even better for cornering.

94jedi
06-06-2014, 10:06 AM
I just prefer OEM. Poly can be too stiff at times. Plus with the Z4M fronts, you'll get a caster increase, which is even better for cornering.

So since that's the case, I'm guessing I'll need an alignment too.

Avetiso
06-06-2014, 10:08 AM
So since that's the case, I'm guessing I'll need an alignment too.

You'd need one either way. At least I would.

94jedi
06-06-2014, 10:10 AM
Sorry for all the questions but if I do go w/ the Z4M's I'm guessing ECS sells them and would I have to mention that to the alignment tech? He'll need to take the additional caster into account, correct?

Avetiso
06-06-2014, 10:31 AM
Sorry for all the questions but if I do go w/ the Z4M's I'm guessing ECS sells them and would I have to mention that to the alignment tech? He'll need to take the additional caster into account, correct?

Yes, ECS should have them. As far as the alignment, I don't believe our cars are caster adjustable so just have him align it like he normally would. It will be the same except your caster will be out of spec. Which is also fine.