PDA

View Full Version : Directly Compatible Seats for BMW E46 Sedan

BavarianZHP
04-27-2014, 01:48 PM
Hello,

I'm juggling the thought of swapping out my front seats with something a little different (priority would be comfort, adjustability, functions: multi-way, heated, lumbar, and weight would be last) but the seats would have to be directly plug N play:

1) Seat rails should fit with seat directly
2) E46 Plug should directly fit into seat (heated seats, seat sensor for proper airbag deployment, etc...)
3) Seat belts should clip into belt plugs (I guess I could and probably should just swap them from my seats to the new ones)
4) Seat should retain full range of motion (no rubbing side bolsters, etc...) and not sit too tall or low..

Currently, I have heated seats but no lumbar.

Below is a list of what seats I believe fit into the category, but please correct me if I'm wrong... I may have a couple more junk yard trips on the schedule and want to be sure I don't miss any opportunities!

1) BMW E46 sedan seats
2) BMW E46 coupe seats
3) BMW E46 convertible seats
4) BMW E46 M coupe seats
5) BMW E85 Z4 seats (lower base)
6) BMW E85 Z4 M seats (lower base) http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=901461
7) BMW E53 X5 seats http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522702
8) BMW E63 M6 seats http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=992412
...?

Thanks ladies and gents. I realize coupe seats may be awkward in a sedan, but I want to know all of my options... Wouldn't want to pass up on M cloth seats or something would we now?

Avetiso
04-27-2014, 02:11 PM
I think E38 seats might work.

"Arnold smoking a cigar in the Red Square; your argument is invalid." -Galaxy S5

BavarianZHP
04-27-2014, 02:16 PM
I'm not so sure about 7 series E38 seats. I know E38's and E39's are directly compatible (did it on my bro's car) and I know E39's and E46's are not, so I'm thinking some modifications may be necessary.

Avetiso
04-27-2014, 02:27 PM
Hmm. I can't imagine there is much data something like this. :(

"Arnold smoking a cigar in the Red Square; your argument is invalid." -Galaxy S5

NorCalZman
04-27-2014, 04:57 PM
I read on e46fanatics that M6 seats fit.

derbo
04-27-2014, 04:58 PM
Coupe seats will work as long as you replace the outer rail to a sedan one. Reason is the coupe seatbelt is bolted to the chassis and the sedan seatbelt is bolted to the seat rail.

Any E46 coupe seat should work. Z4/Z4M seats will fit as well.

BavarianZHP
04-27-2014, 05:30 PM
I read on e46fanatics that M6 seats fit.

Thanks! Edited post to reflect it.

Tnhl1989
04-28-2014, 05:29 AM
What I did to mine was get a pair of junk seats or used seats and added/move over lumbar to the originally seats. That was the first thing I did!

prowlerflyer
04-28-2014, 08:46 AM
Which of the listed has the most aggressive bolstering? I've always felt the standard sports seats kind of lacked in cornering.

Of course the alcantara/cloth would help.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

az3579
04-28-2014, 08:59 AM
Which of the listed has the most aggressive bolstering? I've always felt the standard sports seats kind of lacked in cornering.

Of course the alcantara/cloth would help.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

This. If your seat doesn't do a good job of holding you in while cornering then you don't have the best control of your vehicle due to "struggling" to maintain proper steering wheel control. Due to the handling characteristics of our cars, I do not recommend swapping the seats...

In your shoes, I'd swap lumbar support, like Tony did.

slater
04-28-2014, 09:08 AM
This. If your seat doesn't do a good job of holding you in while cornering then you don't have the best control of your vehicle due to "struggling" to maintain proper steering wheel control. Due to the handling characteristics of our cars, I do not recommend swapping the seats...

In your shoes, I'd swap lumbar support, like Tony did.

what if the seat is too wide for you? i have broad shoulders but a narrow waist, and i find the seat comfortable but not all that 'snug' in the kidney area. lower bolsters are fine. obviously the shoulder area is fine since the upper bolsters do not go up that high. i would be interested in M3 seats with the adjustable bolsters.

i'm 6'1", FWIW.

peter

az3579
04-28-2014, 09:11 AM
what if the seat is too wide for you? i have broad shoulders but a narrow waist, and i find the seat comfortable but not all that 'snug' in the kidney area. lower bolsters are fine. obviously the should area is fine since the upper bolsters do not go up that high. i would be interested in M3 seats with the adjustable bolsters.

i'm 6'1", FWIW.

peter

The standard sport seats don't hold everyone in; it's an individual basis. Me, for example, am held in pretty darn well because I fit the profile of the seat better than some. In your case, either that M3 seat or perhaps an aftermarket seat would be better at holding you in than the stock one.

slater
04-28-2014, 09:22 AM
i know. i have an older euro-spec recaro SRD (narrower than the NA-spec seats) that i have run in a lot of cars - it fits me like a glove. unfortunately my wife doesn't like it much (really tall seat bottom bolsters).

peter

az3579
04-28-2014, 10:03 AM
i know. i have an older euro-spec recaro SRD (narrower than the NA-spec seats) that i have run in a lot of cars - it fits me like a glove. unfortunately my wife doesn't like it much (really tall seat bottom bolsters).

peter

You could just swap the driver's seat... unless you have OCD. :biggrin

slater
04-28-2014, 10:26 AM
i only have one seat. :)

derbo
04-28-2014, 10:34 AM
I like my recaro. :)

sent from Moto X Dev Edition

Hermes
04-28-2014, 10:47 AM
Recaro FTW