PDA

View Full Version : WTB: 4 x 10mm spacers and bolts

slater
04-17-2014, 08:05 AM
if anyone has 4 x 10mm spacers lying around... i'd love them. :)

thanks!

peter

Hermes
04-17-2014, 10:11 AM
For what and how thick?

Edit: nevermind, I thought you said 4x100

Smilez
04-17-2014, 10:15 AM
haha i read the same thing at 1st haha

wsmeyer
04-17-2014, 10:20 AM
Just a heads up on 10mm spacers in general on e46's:

scroll down to the section "The 10mm Spacer Dilemma"

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-tech-wheel-spacers.aspx

danewilson77
04-17-2014, 10:27 AM
Just a heads up on 10mm spacers in general on e46's:

scroll down to the section "The 10mm Spacer Dilemma"

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-tech-wheel-spacers.aspx

Never had an issue. I think that dilemma is way over played.

As with any size spacer, just make sure it's flush on the rotor hat.

Samsung Galaxy S5...

johnrando
04-17-2014, 10:32 AM
I could see that potentially being a problem with smaller spacers, but I had no issues with my 10mm ones. Many people run 10's w/o issues on our cars. Maybe it's a potential on other models?

wsmeyer
04-17-2014, 10:41 AM
Never had an issue. I think that dilemma is way over played.

As with any size spacer, just make sure it's flush on the rotor hat.

Possibly overplayed but it's important for anyone putting 10's on to know of the potential problem and what to look for.

danewilson77
04-17-2014, 11:00 AM
Possibly overplayed but it's important for anyone putting 10's on to know of the potential problem and what to look for.

Any spacer really. Not just 10's.

I've read that a million times and don't understand why only 10's are the concern with what they are saying.

Samsung Galaxy S5...

WOLFN8TR
04-17-2014, 11:05 AM
The 10's I got from John fit pretty flush. I had to slightly file the rotor hat to get them perfect. I do believe these are Turner's.

wsmeyer
04-17-2014, 11:24 AM
Here's a picture that shows the problem

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/images/spacers/tms_solidworks_spacer_hub_drawing_xlg.jpg

The picture shows a 12.5mm spacer. The red is the original hub and the green is the hub on the spacer. The original hub is designed to extend 10mm past an OEM brake hat. Since this is a 12.5mm spacer you can see there is a gap between the old and new hub and it would be 2.5mm. With a 10mm spacer there would be no gap at all and if the brake hat isn't exactly the right thickness or greater, the spacer won't fit, it will be bottoming out on the original hub. This is a very dangerous situation as then all of the clamping force is put on the very thin bridge between the spacer and the spacer hub. Inevitably it will break and once this happens the weight of the car is on the lugs. Lugs that were spec'd for tension force NOT torsional forces.

danewilson77
04-17-2014, 12:06 PM
Got it.

I guess what's always been intuitive to me, may not be the case for all. Just make sure the spacer sits flush against the rotor hat all the way around.

Or am I still marginalizing this? I appreciate the pic and writeup.

Samsung Galaxy S5...

slater
04-17-2014, 12:11 PM
Any spacer really. Not just 10's.

I've read that a million times and don't understand why only 10's are the concern with what they are saying.

Samsung Galaxy S5...

the pic that wsmeyer posted above illustrates the issue pretty well - i can see what they are talking about. however, as they mentioned, rotor hat depth is really the major variable determining whether a 10mm spacer will work or not.

thanks, wsmeyer, for posting that drawing. i might get 12mm spacers to be safe.

peter

danewilson77
04-17-2014, 12:13 PM
If anyone here has ever had issues fitting 10's on their car, please respond. Thanks.

Samsung Galaxy S5...

wsmeyer
04-17-2014, 12:27 PM
If anyone here has ever had issues fitting 10's on their car, please respond. Thanks.

I don't think were going to have a significant number of people that have even tried 10mm spacers. We do collectively have a ton of different brands of rotors though and it would be interesting to see if there are varyances. I'll measure my protruding hub this evening and post.

wsmeyer
04-17-2014, 12:31 PM
the pic that wsmeyer posted above illustrates the issue pretty well - i can see what they are talking about. however, as they mentioned, rotor hat depth is really the major variable determining whether a 10mm spacer will work or not.

thanks, wsmeyer, for posting that drawing. i might get 12mm spacers to be safe.

You're welcome. I wouldn't rule out 10's if you really want them. The notes for H&R 10mm spacers say up to a 12mm hub will work

http://www.hrsprings.com/mobile/spacernotes/2014/1423/466/

wsmeyer
04-17-2014, 06:28 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/18/5edysa8a.jpg

Mine are 12.3mm. They wouldn't work and unless you're looking for it, how many people would notice a .3mm gap?

danewilson77
04-17-2014, 06:45 PM
Ugh. Gap where? On the hubcentric ring?

Samsung Galaxy S5...

slater
04-17-2014, 06:52 PM
Ugh. Gap where? On the hubcentric ring?

Samsung Galaxy S5...

between the spacer and the rotor hat.

thanks, wsmeyer for the pic. i'll see if i can do the same tomorrow. unfortunately i have no idea what brand the rotors are, so it's not the best data point.

peter

danewilson77
04-18-2014, 03:20 AM
OK. So here is a picture of my 15 mm spacers from TMS.

I imagine you guys are referring to the area I have indicated?

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/nicee46036/Watermark-1.png (http://s1015.photobucket.com/user/nicee46/media/nicee46036/Watermark-1.png.html)

johnrando
04-18-2014, 07:09 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/18/5edysa8a.jpg

Mine are 12.3mm. They wouldn't work and unless you're looking for it, how many people would notice a .3mm gap?

I want to make sure I'm clear. For a 10mm spacer, how big (or small) do you want the protruding hub area to be (w/o buying an extender). BTW, none of this is an issue if you did buy extenders, right? I was confused because on the website, they always call them "front hub extenders" as if they aren't for the rear.

danewilson77
04-18-2014, 09:29 AM
The hub is, what it is. My "lip" is only a few mm at most. Spacer size doesn't matter.

Samsung Galaxy S5...

danewilson77
04-18-2014, 09:30 AM
You guys are gonna make me jack up my car and check. That 12 mm pic above seems like more than what I remember.

Samsung Galaxy S5...

wsmeyer
04-18-2014, 09:39 AM
I want to make sure I'm clear. For a 10mm spacer, how big (or small) do you want the protruding hub area to be (w/o buying an extender). BTW, none of this is an issue if you did buy extenders, right? I was confused because on the website, they always call them "front hub extenders" as if they aren't for the rear.

Hub extenders can only be installed on the front of our cars. We are talking 10mm and larger spacers that are usually hubcentric spacers meaning they have their own hub attached to the spacer. They install over the original hub so the inside of the hubcentric spacer has to be deeper than the original hub so that it sits flush against the brake rotor hat. 10mm spacers are right at the limit and if your brake rotors are any thinner then OEM, like mine are, the original hub would bottom out in the spacer and leave a gap between the spacer and the rotor hat.

johnrando
04-18-2014, 09:41 AM
Thanks William. So what is the minimum hub length necessary for the best/correct fit for 10mm spacers?

danewilson77
04-18-2014, 09:46 AM
Hub extenders can only be installed on the front of our cars. We are talking 10mm and larger spacers that are usually hubcentric spacers meaning they have their own hub attached to the spacer. They install over the original hub so the inside of the hubcentric spacer has to be deeper than the original hub so that it sits flush against the brake rotor hat. 10mm spacers are right at the limit and if your brake rotors are any thinner then OEM, like mine are, the original hub would bottom out in the spacer and leave a gap between the spacer and the rotor hat.

Right. This doesn't happen with 10mm spacers though.

If mine sit flush, shouldn't everyone's sit flush?

I guess rotor hat thickness could vary between Rotors though, which would affect this clearance issue.

Samsung Galaxy S5...

wsmeyer
04-18-2014, 10:10 AM
Thanks William. So what is the minimum hub length necessary for the best/correct fit for 10mm spacers?

It's the MAXIMUM that it is important. H&R states that there 10mm spacers will work with up to 12mm of the original hub extending beyond the brake hat. Mine measures 12.3mm so they would not work with out grinding a little off the end of the hub. This does not mean they won't work on other cars. What Turner was trying to point out is that specifically with the 10mm size you can't just assume they will work as they may not on all cars, mainly because of the varying thicknesses of different brands of rotors.

johnrando
04-18-2014, 10:16 AM
Ah, got it, thanks!