PDA

View Full Version : I propose we start a ZHP Wiki

stephenkirsh
03-28-2014, 07:24 PM
I propose we start a ZHP Wiki.

If you're not familiar with what a Wiki is beyond Wikipedia, check it out here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki (lol @ the fact that the best definition is on wikipedia).

Basically, a wiki allows anybody to edit information pertaining to a particular topic. While I've no experience with managing a wiki, I'm assuming it can be set up so that only certain members can modify articles. Also, wikis are free to use.

A few of the great strengths of this forum is 1.) the immense knowledge of users, 2.) dedication of users, 3.) administration. The biggest weakness in my eyes is the searchability. It's limited to what the forum designers made and out of the control of administration/users. I think those three strengths, combined with a wiki, would eliminate the searchability weakness.

Possible articles/topics/subjects:
- Differences of ZHP over ZSP
- Chassis
- Engine
- Interior
- Exterior
- Driveline
- General E46

It could be run as www.wiki.zhpmafia.com or www.zhpmafial.com/wiki or even www.zhpwiki.com (or any other relevant URL).

I imagine a lot of the information would be relevant to the E46 in general, but with special emphasis on the ZHP.

For this reason, I think it would be acceptable if we discussed a "BMW E46" wiki option, too. Meaning, a ZHP Wiki vs E46 Wiki.

I'm willing to help out with the wiki.

So, what do we think?

HockeyGoon
03-28-2014, 07:32 PM
I second this

Hermes
03-28-2014, 07:59 PM
No, there's already lots of places to find info. No need to make another

Avetiso
03-28-2014, 08:00 PM
Not to be a downer, but I believe bimmerforums already has a wiki that is very thorough.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

wsmeyer
03-28-2014, 08:15 PM
I think we should keep the info on this site but in a format easier to read than a long thread.

SoDelBMW
03-28-2014, 08:47 PM
I think we should keep the info on this site but in a format easier to read than a long thread.

I side with wsmeyer

stephenkirsh
03-28-2014, 09:20 PM

That's why I was thinking a wiki

mLuMaN83
03-28-2014, 10:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDKlZaboGb4

JupiterBMW
03-29-2014, 12:24 AM
Agreed with William. Also, using the name "ZHP Mafia" will require approval from the Forum bosses, and at that point, the wiki would fall under their control... I'm sure they don't need anything else to manage aside from this forum.

Personally, the biggest problem I find with "public" information sources like Wikis is that the information added isn't always correct. Keeping the information here is a good way of policing it for content and quality, something I believe the Mafia already does a really good job at. I do agree, sometimes locating information can lead to a lot of reading, but it is very easy to search and find it.

Perhaps a better thought would be tasking the job of creating some threads that involve all the correct posts, links, threads, etc for any specific topic.

For instance, if someone wants information on suspension mods, they would click on a master thread... From there, information on springs, struts, coil overs, bushings, etc etc etc could be found. Each post could be a specific topic, starting with the basic ideology and science behind each part, and then information on modding these parts. From there, links to vendors could be posted. Of course, these threads would need to stay locked, and updated as information changes. This keeps the general conversation out; not that we don't want that, because the conversation brings new ideas, but instead just to keep the threads clear and easy to search...

That's my 2 cents... Take it or leave it. :thumbsup

Also, 'wiki' is a funny word...

NoVAphotog
03-29-2014, 04:01 AM
Based on my experience with other forums one if the best aspects about this one is the policy on asking questions if you need to. On some others it's encouraged that you basically keep your mouth shut and just go read the threads and wiki when you have a question.

I can understand the logic behind that but it ruins the sense of community that led me here and into the drivers seat of a ZHP.

As much as I, as a noob, would appreciate a wiki I've had no problems just running a Google search with the key words of my questions followed by "site:zhpmafia.com"

I am neutral I guess, would be happy if we had one as long as it doesn't lead to this "donate and shut up, just read attitude" I've seen before.

Sent from my HTC 1 using Tapatalk

danewilson77
03-29-2014, 05:59 AM
This is our wiki. If you guys want info added to the first post, feel free to add it in thread or PM me.

I think this thread, plus the e46 wiki, gives us adequate information on what we have.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1789

I definetely think it was a good idea and one that was worth discussing though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk