PDA

View Full Version : 2002 BMW 325i 112k miles $5,300 OBO

fredo
02-17-2014, 09:21 PM
Not my car, but it may be a good deal. PO says the car has $4,000 in recent repairs. The ad has pics showing the parts replaced (timing chain, head gasket, water pump, serpentine belt, spark plugs, radiator hoses, etc). What do you think ? I wonder if the car did overheat.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/4326841592.html

Avetiso
02-17-2014, 09:37 PM
Can't fathom why you'd need a new timing chain.

fredo
02-18-2014, 08:36 AM
Valid point about the timing chain. I really like the LCI e46 on white. Maybe one of these days. :biggrin

brettbimmer
02-18-2014, 08:42 AM
Can't fathom why you'd need a new timing chain.

Any chance it may have been stretched, or perhaps it was a "while you are in there anyway" replacement?

Avetiso
02-18-2014, 04:25 PM
Any chance it may have been stretched, or perhaps it was a "while you are in there anyway" replacement?
What could strength a metal timing change? :dunno Seems like something that should never be replaced.

brettbimmer
02-18-2014, 07:09 PM
What could strength a metal timing change? :dunno Seems like something that should never be replaced.

Well the "stretching" is not a common issue, but apparently timing chains can wear on the pins and roller if dirty, thereby lengthening the chain very slightly. FWIW, my M44 still runs well with the original chain at 259,000 miles. Doubt that was the case here after reading deeper into her records in the photos.

How's this for a hypothesis for the car above: Car overheats due to cooling system component failure. Owner doesn't notice and continues driving the car, be it on a highway or elsewhere. Head gasket blows due to high temperature, water gets into the cylinder(s) causing a high compression overload within the cylinder(s). The added resistance caused by the non-compressible water in the cylinder(s) causes the timing chain to break and the need to have a valve job on the cylinder head (noted in her invoice). That would explain the need for the new timing chains.

Perhaps I'm just reading too deep into this and they just opted to replace the timing chains since they were doing a valve job anyway, but that still leaves the cause of the blown head gasket in question.

E_Rak
02-18-2014, 07:44 PM
Yeah that parts list looked like an engine rebuild......