PDA

View Full Version : 3 weeks and 240 hours of research on the internet led me to the zhp

diverse
02-07-2014, 08:03 AM
Hello zhp mafia

I just purchased my very first BMW and I ended up getting a ZHP

I was in the market for a 2007-2010 328
but I wasnt impressed with the test drive

then a salesman hipped me to getting a 2006 330i with the sports package.
I was little impressed but not really.

I drove a m3 and wanted to marry the car but the bank said no.

Then I found a few videos and info on the ZHP I heard about how rare they were
then I found one. in great shape no history no damage very straight body original paint etc etc.

I sort of wanted the E90 Body style
but in a lot of ways I think this e46 has a slicker look.
I havent driven it yet because it is being shipped
but I am happy to be part of this forum.

I hope to do a few low cost mods the Avin android radio/nav xenon head lights
in terms of performance low cost at first
like drive pulleys intake or a hotter chiop and a free flow exhaust

another thought if I want to get a little crazy is to go with a limited slip differntial and a 246 cam
I was reading about this. of course this will probably cost me 5 grand but will certainly make my car even more fun to drive.
I hope to learn from you veterans and become a real contributing member of this community.

I will post pictures when I get them.

johnrando
02-07-2014, 08:18 AM
Welcome. Congrats on the new car, looking forward to pics. What part of the country are you in?

fredo
02-07-2014, 08:18 AM
Welcome ! Where are you located ?

brettbimmer
02-07-2014, 08:23 AM
Welcome to the family. If you had just come here first, we could've saved you 239 hours of research! :biggrin

Well, the E46 has two major positives not found on the E90 if you ask me, and they are a spare wheel and tire, and a traditional oil dipstick.

Looking forward to seeing photos and details of your car once you find her. Lots of mods available, but one argument is the quickest way to improve the speed of your car is to improve the driver, and high-performance driving schools are a LOT of fun should the opportunity arise.

Good luck with the new wheels!

JupiterBMW
02-07-2014, 08:24 AM
Details on the car? Sedan? Coupe? Color?? Welcome, you'll love it here.

iPhone 5S. Tapatalk Pro. BOOM

NorCalZman
02-07-2014, 08:27 AM
welcome! before you go all crazy with those neat mods, you should make sure maintenance has been taken care of first depending on the mileage/condition of this car. There are a lot of little things that need to be taken care of as the car ages. Would suck to spend all that money on a diff, exhaust, or tune only to have the cooling system grenade on you (maybe taking the engine with it) or have really sloppy handling due to worn suspension components, right?

Example: within a month of me buying the car, I had the mechanic changing all the fluids throughout the car. He noticed my expansion tank was seeping coolant. time bomb disarmed!

Avetiso
02-07-2014, 09:48 AM
Welcome!

amunsey688
02-07-2014, 10:34 AM
Welcome and congratulations!

ELCID86
02-07-2014, 11:00 AM
Great intro. Welcome.

derbo
02-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Welcome! That is a heavy amount of research in 3 weeks! Glad you found out about one of the best practical sport sedans out there :)

danewilson77
02-07-2014, 11:09 AM
Welcome

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Vas
02-07-2014, 11:35 AM
Would love to see some pics of it :)

yura
02-07-2014, 11:45 AM
240 hours? Uhh... why not just ask Google?

http://i.imgur.com/7p9Hg0v.png

alexandre
02-07-2014, 01:04 PM
^:rofl

iP4S + TT2

illirep
02-07-2014, 01:23 PM
^ hilarious. Am I the only one that went to google and tried this?

Welcome - in for more details.

ELCID86
02-07-2014, 01:24 PM
^ hilarious. Am I the only one that went to google and tried this?

Nope :facepalm

ChrisCSL#25
02-07-2014, 02:11 PM
Welcome! Congrats on your discovery! I echo NorCalzman's advice. The place that I bought mine replaced all of the fluids and the water pump as these have a reputation of giving up the ghost around 50-60K miles. Depending on what you are used to in terms of maintenance costs, it may seem a little high but probably worth it. A co-worker has a E90 with around 100K and hers went to car part heaven halfway between OH and GA.

If you go to Turner Motorsports website they detail how they modified a ZHP. I think they sell all of the parts too. Post pictures when you get a chance. Procedures are in the New Members thread.

bimmergofast
02-07-2014, 02:27 PM
240 hours? Uhh... why not just ask Google?

http://i.imgur.com/7p9Hg0v.png

Awesome. So not special!

diverse
02-07-2014, 02:53 PM
welcome! before you go all crazy with those neat mods, you should make sure maintenance has been taken care of first depending on the mileage/condition of this car. There are a lot of little things that need to be taken care of as the car ages. Would suck to spend all that money on a diff, exhaust, or tune only to have the cooling system grenade on you (maybe taking the engine with it) or have really sloppy handling due to worn suspension components, right?

Example: within a month of me buying the car, I had the mechanic changing all the fluids throughout the car. He noticed my expansion tank was seeping coolant. time bomb disarmed![/QUOTE]

Very Good point well the car is a coupe it is a 2006 I purchased it from CARMAX just happened to notice the little carbon fiber and red needles on one of the 06 330i and thought hmmm

The car has 78k miles and seems to be a sharp car if you can tell anything from pictures.

I have purchased a warranty with the car that allows me to go to the dealer or any shop of my choice up to 120k miles.

the color is silver. it doesent look that shiny in the pictures but I think it was over cast when they took the photos.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e147/Steven_Maduro/photo2_zps75dbb94a.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Steven_Maduro/media/photo2_zps75dbb94a.jpg.html)

diverse
02-07-2014, 03:07 PM
Lol that is hilarious
If it were only that simple. At first I wanted the e90 because I thought it would be easier to maintain with a low mileage car
after driving both a e90 335 and a e46 m3 I decided hands down I wanted the m3
but my credit just couldn't pass

trust me I googled everything I could and I watched every bmw review on youtube on many many cars

I finally got things narrowed to the clk Mercedes 2006 330i with sports packgage, 328i with black interior and aluminum trim
and a m3 convertible with manual transmission.
and then along came the zhp
which saved the day.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e147/Steven_Maduro/photo1_zpsa54a493e.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Steven_Maduro/media/photo1_zpsa54a493e.jpg.html)

After the financing it came down to the 2006 330 E90 or this 2006 zhp
I decided to go for the zhp
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e147/Steven_Maduro/photo4_zps47c83150.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Steven_Maduro/media/photo4_zps47c83150.jpg.html)

http://us-mg4.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=2_0_0_1_31497228_AJJ9w0MAAAxLUvVjsgAA AHiVofE&pid=2&fid=Inbox&inline=1

KevinC
02-07-2014, 05:02 PM
As someone who owned a new E90 immediately upon release, and 7 years later a ZHP, I can tell you this - you want the ZHP. :)

Welcome!

ryankokesh
02-07-2014, 05:47 PM
Good choice!
I guess no one's said it yet, so WILKOMMEN! :shifty

Sent from my iPhone

ChrisCSL#25
02-07-2014, 06:08 PM
Outstanding! Nicely done! I'm sure you will be happy with her! When does it arrive?

diverse
02-07-2014, 06:54 PM
Good choice!
I guess no one's said it yet, so WILKOMMEN! :shifty

Sent from my iPhone

It took me a while to get that
welcome In German.

thank you

oldzilla
02-07-2014, 07:52 PM
Very nice

diverse
02-08-2014, 08:01 AM
Thank you . I should be getting the car in 21 days It is coming in from 864 miles away

This is going to be a long three weeks

Au1994
02-08-2014, 01:23 PM
Welcome! Car looks great and CarMax may surprise you. They told me 2 weeks to get mine and it was here in 6 days.

ELCID86
02-08-2014, 02:57 PM
Hope it does show up early. BTW, my local Indy shop does the euro car repairs for our Carmax and he said their extended warranty is one of the most comprehensive he has seen.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

diverse
02-08-2014, 03:17 PM
That is really good to know Big Earner..

I was a little bummed by CarMax at first glance because the prices seemed higher than what I was seeing at other dealerships

but then I discovered quite a few reasons why that is the case.

when I go on Manheim website and search for every single car in which I was interested. I found CarMax to be right in line with what manheim considered an above average vehicle. I further began to appreciate the tightness of all of the cars on car max's lot

finally it was the service plan that sold me.

I payed more than I wanted for the vehicle but saved the same amount on the warranty and once I learned I could take it anywhere
It was a wrap. I would never go to car max service but I definitely have a shop in mind for the service and maintenance of my new baby

I hope you are right that I get this car sooner than 3 weeks I already spent three weeks searching I am in agony right now.

But the time is well spent trying to figure out how to tighten my belt over the duration of the loan figuring out tricks to lower my interest and get the loan paid faster.

BCS_ZHP
02-08-2014, 03:49 PM
Welcome to the Family.

It was asked earlier, maybe I missed your answer, what part of the country do you reside in? The ZHPMafia is everywhere, fellow members will gladly help you mod and live vicariously thru your depleted wallet.

oldzilla
02-08-2014, 04:04 PM
That is really good to know Big Earner..

I was a little bummed by CarMax at first glance because the prices seemed higher than what I was seeing at other dealerships

but then I discovered quite a few reasons why that is the case.

when I go on Manheim website and search for every single car in which I was interested. I found CarMax to be right in line with what manheim considered an above average vehicle. I further began to appreciate the tightness of all of the cars on car max's lot

finally it was the service plan that sold me.

I payed more than I wanted for the vehicle but saved the same amount on the warranty and once I learned I could take it anywhere
It was a wrap. I would never go to car max service but I definitely have a shop in mind for the service and maintenance of my new baby

I hope you are right that I get this car sooner than 3 weeks I already spent three weeks searching I am in agony right now.

But the time is well spent trying to figure out how to tighten my belt over the duration of the loan figuring out tricks to lower my interest and get the loan paid faster.

I purchased my ZHP from Carmax and so far so good they stood behind the car from day one. The trunk tool kit was missing tools told them they need to replace them, no BS or excuses they said you got it and done. Take full advantage of the 30 warranty drive it and drive the horse out if it, if any issue comes up they will be there in my opinion. 21 days ha took them 14 to get my vert from Chicago to Littleton so the wait my be quick.

oldzilla
02-08-2014, 04:06 PM
Loan payment trick one set up auto payment and see if they let you pay every two weeks that saves you over on average 1k in interest in a year , then refinance the loan in one year.

diverse
02-08-2014, 07:31 PM
I am in Atlanta Georgia

Any help is welcome I have never owned a BMW so I really have no idea for what I am in store.

danewilson77
02-08-2014, 07:47 PM
I am in Atlanta Georgia

Any help is welcome I have never owned a BMW so I really have no idea for what I am in store.

Muhahaha

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

BCS_ZHP
02-08-2014, 07:56 PM
Several members in the Atlanta area, look them up and ask who they recommend for Indys.

jakksfor20
02-08-2014, 08:25 PM
I'm in the northern part of Cumming. I've done all the work on the 5 e46's we've owned. I'd be your Indy, but Carmax wouldn't pay me. ;)

Harrison Motorsports is who I'd recommend.

diverse
02-09-2014, 01:44 AM
I'm in the northern part of Cumming. I've done all the work on the 5 e46's we've owned. I'd be your Indy, but Carmax wouldn't pay me. ;)

Harrison Motorsports is who I'd recommend.

Thank you for the recommendation.
Braxton is near me.
but they do not do performance stuff.
so I will definitely look up Harrison.

quick question whaats the scoop on after market exhaust and passing emmissions

a physical inspection is not done in my area.
However, they do run a sniffer

I was wondering if headers and a free flowing cat like from supersprint is worth the trouble

jakksfor20
02-09-2014, 06:00 AM
You sure about not being physically inspected? Are you in one of the following counties (Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, Coweta, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry, Paulding and Rockdale)? I'm not saying that they sometimes don't look, but the first time I had my 323 looked at they checked for cats. Since then, they haven't. It might have been the location I went to that time. Sniffer isn't done until 1995 model year, I think......

"What tests will be performed?

All subject vehicles will receive a three-part inspection:

An OBD test to check the vehicle’s emissions control performance history.
A fuel cap inspection to check for adequate seal.
A visual inspection of the catalytic converter to check for tampering or removal."

diverse
02-09-2014, 07:08 AM
I plan on keeping a cat I was hoping to perhaps drop in a header (pre cat mod)

I wont if it will cause problems with getting it to pass emissions.

when I said physical inspection I didn't think they were going to look to see if I had headers.
(pre cat mods) but I was just going off of the laize faire way the inspector did my inspection.

The headers may not even make that much of a difference in the low end range which is what I want

BCS_ZHP
02-09-2014, 07:14 AM
The cats are built into the stock exhaust manifolds. The aftermarket headers with built-in cats are very pricey. Some use headers and then install cats immediately after the headers. But if you do that, no off-the-shelf catback system will fit until you shorten it to accommodate those after header cats. Here's another research project that will both enlighten you and frustrate your wallet.

diverse
02-09-2014, 05:58 PM
Ok so I will be content with just doing the light mods
like CAI
pedal box
pulleys
conforti shark injection
and exhaust
these things will make the ride slightly more energetic
which is all i am really looking for.

Since you know a lot about these cars can you answer this one?

the fly wheel some say it is a light weight fly wheel
but the literature just says that it is rigid.

I know flywheels do a lot for a car
my car is automatic I am not sure it will work for my application

But I am sure if the stock flywheel is not lighter
then getting a lighter one will add some acceleration. in the low rpm range.

diverse
02-11-2014, 04:19 AM
Loan payment trick one set up auto payment and see if they let you pay every two weeks that saves you over on average 1k in interest in a year , then refinance the loan in one year.

I don't know how I missed this yes thank you for that info. yes I agree I didn't know it was as much as 1k per year but I know this is something that helps out lot. as long as it is every two weeks and not just twice a month. ie every other Friday not on the first and the fifteenth the first gives you 26 payments a year the second gives you 24

diverse
02-11-2014, 04:24 AM
Harrison motorsports is In
Alpharetta I see
I will take it to them to do my under pulley kit and the first tune.
and AFE
I am curious as to which tune they will recommend.

This way when I roll out. I should definitely feel the difference..

MiniD
02-11-2014, 04:52 AM
Alpharetta I see
and AFE

Harrison Motorsports seems like a great shop. They did a ton of work on my E90 I recently purchased.

johnrando
02-11-2014, 07:18 AM
Alpharetta I see
and AFE

Are you going to them for a tune and if so, which tunes do they offer? That would obviously impact which they recommend. Or, are you just asking them?

ELCID86
02-11-2014, 07:27 AM
Alpharetta I see
and AFE

pulleys and afe are not a bad DIY to save some $$$s.

Yass_ZHP
02-20-2014, 08:12 AM
Congrats on the car.... it looks great!

You should feel the difference with those mods, :D

Oli77
02-20-2014, 05:35 PM
Welcome and...bon voyage!

Imola.ZHP
03-01-2014, 06:38 PM
Welcome! You made the right choice!

As someone who owned a new E90 immediately upon release, and 7 years later a ZHP, I can tell you this - you want the ZHP. :)

Welcome!

^ I'm with this guy here, the e90 was still "new" in early 2006 when I was looking for a BMW. I was either going to lease a (then) new 330i sport or buy a used ZHP. Almost 8 years later, I'm still driving the ZHP, couldn't be happier.

EDIT: Kevin, just noticed your from Chandler, one of my very best friends just moved to the area in December and my better half and I are trying to schedule a trip out there. Is it completely miserable in mid-July? Feel free to reply in a PM. /hijack!