PDA

View Full Version : New member in NC looking for "the one"

MiniXP
02-05-2014, 06:20 AM
I've been on Bimmerforums and e46 fanatics for about 7 or 8 years now. Just joined here as I am beginning my search for a ZHP.

I currently drive an '01 325xi. It was my first car and has about 160k on it, so I am beginning my search for my next car.

At first I was planning on a 335i, but I don't think I could find one in the condition I would want within my budget. I also plan on keeping the next car I buy for a very long time, so I don't want to deal with the long term maintenance of a turbo engine.

I generally like the look and interior of e46s more anyways, so the ZHP seems to be the obvious choice. I've been browsing FS ads for awhile now, but am just starting to get pretty serious about buying, I'll probably put up a WTB post soon.

How do ZHPs fare in Auto-X? I just started auto crossing in my XI and it is actually more competitive than I thought it would be (at least in the novice class).

PirateZHP
02-05-2014, 06:25 AM
Welcome! More NC members, FTW! What are you looking for?

ELCID86
02-05-2014, 06:29 AM
Welcome and good luck on your search. Several Auto-x folks here that will chime in I'm sure.

Another SE person! Tally up here: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?11980-Where-ya-ll-from

MiniXP
02-05-2014, 06:39 AM
Welcome! More NC members, FTW! What are you looking for?

My ideal ZHP would be a Manual Sedan with cold weather package, premium package (does premium always include Xenons)? Silver Gray, with under 80,000mi (looking like low mileage will be difficult to find). Obviously this exact combo is going to be pretty hard to fine, so I'll have to decide what to be flexible on...

PirateZHP
02-05-2014, 06:55 AM
My ideal ZHP would be a Manual Sedan with cold weather package, premium package (does premium always include Xenons)? Silver Gray, with under 80,000mi (looking like low mileage will be difficult to find). Obviously this exact combo is going to be pretty hard to fine, so I'll have to decide what to be flexible on...

Plenty of low mileage zetchpas out there. It might take a little time, but you can find it... especially if you are willing to travel some.

MiniXP
02-05-2014, 07:00 AM
Yes, I'm probably gonna look in a 600-700mi radius.

Any tips for buying a car out of state and registering it NC. I actually have no idea how that works in terms of driving it back from where I buy it.

I guess my first step should be getting an NC drivers license. I'm from CT and still have a CT license and my car registered there.

PirateZHP
02-05-2014, 07:03 AM

Any tips for buying a car out of state and registering it NC. I actually have no idea how that works in terms of driving it back from where I buy it.

I guess my first step should be getting an NC drivers license. I'm from CT and still have a CT license and my car registered there.

Yeah, I would get your license. But other than that, NC is really pretty simple/easy. You have to get an inspection to register the car in NC (and get the car inspected every year before you pay for your registration and such), but it isn't like the SMOG crap they have in other states.

Where are you at in NC?

ELCID86
02-05-2014, 07:07 AM

Check with the DMV (website). I bought a car in CT (imagine that) last fall and VA has a $15 trip permit used for the journey back home. I put a rear VA tag on it from another car I own, just to be less conspicuous (some here disagree with this but it worked for me and I think is explainable if you did get pulled).

MiniXP
02-05-2014, 07:14 AM
Check with the DMV (website). I bought a car in CT (imagine that) last fall and VA has a $15 trip permit used for the journey back home. I put a rear VA tag on it from another car I own, just to be less conspicuous (some here disagree with this but it worked for me and I think is explainable if you did get pulled).

Yea I'm searching the DMV website now.

I know its technically not legal to swap plates like that, but my license plate on my car is registered to a gray silver 3 series, so its pretty unlikely anyone would notice if I used to for one trip. (no idea why my car is registered as gray when its actually silver)

Avetiso
02-05-2014, 07:26 AM
Welcome!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

danewilson77
02-05-2014, 07:42 AM

And a slick top!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ELCID86
02-05-2014, 07:43 AM
And a slick top!

Good point if Auto-x is the goal.

PirateZHP
02-05-2014, 07:44 AM
And a slick top!

Well then... let's just make the search even harder!

Slicktop would be sweet though!

ELCID86
02-05-2014, 07:46 AM
Well then... let's just make the search even harder!

Slicktop would be sweet though!
I know of one that might be coming up for sale this summer. :-] Would need a tranny swap if 6MT is a must.

MiniXP
02-05-2014, 07:57 AM
And a slick top!

Of Course!

I know of one that might be coming up for sale this summer. :-] Would need a tranny swap if 6MT is a must.

yes 6mt is a definite must.

Color is the thing I'm most flexible on, I just don't want an Imola one bc I feel like I'd get pulled over all the time, it's a beautiful color, just very attention grabbing. I've just always loved dark gray cars. Is silver gray the only dark gray that ZHPs came in or was there a steel gray too?

ELCID86
02-05-2014, 08:03 AM
Of Course!

Color is the thing I'm most flexible on, I just don't want an Imola one bc I feel like I'd get pulled over all the time, it's a beautiful color, just very attention grabbing. I've just always loved dark gray cars. Is silver gray the only dark gray that ZHPs came in or was there a steel gray too?

From what I've read, red is not pulled any more than other colors. http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/redcars.asp

danewilson77
02-05-2014, 08:07 AM
Of Course!

Old wives tale. Statistics do not support this.

ELCID86
02-05-2014, 08:11 AM
Ref: colors - http://www.zhpregistry.net/Statistics.aspx

johnrando
02-05-2014, 08:17 AM
Welcome. Can't personally speak to ZHP in Auto-X but everything I've read people really like 'em right out of the box, but especially if you lower the suspension, etc (but that puts you in a different class).

MiniXP
02-05-2014, 08:21 AM
From what I've read, red is not pulled any more than other colors. http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/redcars.asp

Interesting quote from that snopes article considering I'm looking for a gray car lol:

Gray cars were the ones that gained a greater share of the speeding tickets than they statistically should have: while they accounted for only 6 percent of cars on the road, they pulled down 10 percent of the tickets issued. On the flip side, silver cars got only 5 percent of the tickets, yet they represented 10 percent of the car population.
Read more at http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/redcars.asp#TG27YK4O4d0dTHWA.99"

MiniXP
02-05-2014, 08:31 AM
Ref: colors - http://www.zhpregistry.net/Statistics.aspx

That's cool, I didn't realize that Silver Gray was that common.

QC_ZHP
02-05-2014, 08:44 AM

Welcome, where in NC?

I bought my ZHP in Maryland and had no issues registering it in NC. Just make sure you have all proper paperwork before driving it back. (title, bill of sale, insurance, etc.)

MiniXP
02-05-2014, 09:02 AM
Welcome, where in NC?

I bought my ZHP in Maryland and had no issues registering it in NC. Just make sure you have all proper paperwork before driving it back. (title, bill of sale, insurance, etc.)

High Point.

Did you get a temporary plate for the drive back or how does that work? On the DMV website I see all the info about what you need to register the car, but not what to do about actually getting the car and paperwork to register it.

Do you have to have the original title in hand and go to the NC DMV before you are able to go get the car and drive it back?

ELCID86
02-05-2014, 09:06 AM
That's cool, I didn't realize that Silver Gray was that common.

I do like the color. If you come across VINs in your search, please add them to the registry. The site owner is a member here. He recently increased the limit you can add at one time to 10 (set to prevent spam/bots/idiots/etc.).

QC_ZHP
02-05-2014, 09:41 AM
High Point.

Did you get a temporary plate for the drive back or how does that work? On the DMV website I see all the info about what you need to register the car, but not what to do about actually getting the car and paperwork to register it.

Do you have to have the original title in hand and go to the NC DMV before you are able to go get the car and drive it back?

The problem with pre-registering it is that the car is out of state and I had no title/bill of sale, etc. so that's a tricky option. I'm 99% sure you'd have to have the original title signed over to your name to be able to register it. Fortunately, the previous owner was really cool and let me drive back w/ his plates and ship them back (I gave him a deposit). As long as you have all paperwork in the car and it is insured w/ proof, you should run into no problems.

amunsey688
02-05-2014, 09:41 AM
I like seeing all the fellow NC members. I just bought a ZHP two weekends ago out of Atlanta, GA. The process for bringing it back and registering it is pretty simple. From what I have heard, if you are buying a car from another state, you do not need a license plate until you get it back to your state. If you get pulled, you can show them the newly signed title and bill of sale and you should be good to go. This is what I was told, but you might want to check further to be sure. You would just want to make sure to get a new plate ASAP once you are back in NC.

PirateZHP
02-05-2014, 11:01 AM
I like seeing all the fellow NC members. I just bought a ZHP two weekends ago out of Atlanta, GA. The process for bringing it back and registering it is pretty simple. From what I have heard, if you are buying a car from another state, you do not need a license plate until you get it back to your state. If you get pulled, you can show them the newly signed title and bill of sale and you should be good to go. This is what I was told, but you might want to check further to be sure. You would just want to make sure to get a new plate ASAP once you are back in NC.

+1

This is what to do. Yes, you may get pulled because of no plates, but you have a bill of sale and title.

fredo
02-06-2014, 12:28 PM
Welcome, sir ! You will like this forum.

billyjack
02-06-2014, 06:39 PM

I have done this twice, no problem. Just drive with no plate and keep the bill of sale with you.

Both times the cars were from SC, which has no inspections. I did not have to get the car inspected in NC until renewal came around. Bonus.

ELCID86
07-10-2014, 10:33 AM
Coming up?
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?13243-Bimmerfest-East-2014-August-2-2014-Aberdeen-Maryland.