PDA

View Full Version : She sacrifices herself so I can tell her story

Rovert
01-31-2014, 03:29 PM
Looks like another ZHP has bitten the dust. I'm OK. I'm sore and heartbroken, but I believe things happen for a reason and not to dwell negative on those experiences to create negative/acidic thoughts and energy into your body.

It's been close to 10 years with her and what a journey I've been through to meet and experience the things I have up until now. I've met great friends all over the world. I've helped others. I've put others in aww. I've travelled to places and driven some of the most beautiful roads in western North America. My car has taught me that things don't just make life better and rewarding but the people you meet are what make life rewarding. Guys, just keep loving on one another and never take something or someone for granted for when you lose them you will wish you enjoyed them more. I will miss my baby but now a decade has past. I will move on and change to something that I have dreamt to have because of my car and the people I have met from it.

So here is my story of today:
I was descending down a stretch with the sun facing oncoming at noon hour following an F150 at a distance that proved not to be safe enough. One second is not far enough with winter tires. The F150 did a last minute swerve in traffic that was moving at 40-45MPH and I was presented with a fully stopped 2012 Toyota Highlander half a car length in front of the F150. There was no opening so to minimize the impact as ABS was engaged, the car beside me slowed down as best as he could to make some space but it proved to happen too quickly and I ended up with an offset collision into the Highlander. I sit here in emergency to get checked out and get everything on paper but I'm just sore from the impact which even took my feather weighted eye glasses off and into the firewall down below.

Don't stop dreaming. It's a privilege to do it with all you guys. Time to find an E46 M3 to replace my already amazing 10 year ride.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/01/ama7yraj.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/01/y6ubazy3.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/01/huny9e4y.jpg

BimmerWill
01-31-2014, 03:39 PM
So sorry to hear of your loss but very thankful that you are alright and were not hurt. Its very sad to see any of us lose a ride because they do become more than a vehicle when so much blood sweat and tears goes into making them what they are and in an instant it can be ripped away.

However cheers to your continued love for what we all have grown to love. I hope that this turns out to be a unfortunate opportunity for you to seek out and fulfill a dream of yours. Best of luck in your search friend!

sent from S4

alexandre
01-31-2014, 03:40 PM
I was heartbroken when I saw your text. Glad you're OK - these cars are engineered well for a reason. RIP to a beautiful ZHP, and hope you get into an even better car out of this. Let the M3 search begin!

iP4S + TT2

NorCalZman
01-31-2014, 03:44 PM
Aww too bad man. You have my sympathies. I would be heartbroken too. I hope you can find a worthy replacement M3.

wsmeyer
01-31-2014, 03:48 PM
Glad to hear you're ok. Really sucks to lose another ZHP but let the insurance handle it and start searching for your new love!

kakashi169
01-31-2014, 03:54 PM
Oh NO!! I absolutely love your car!! This can't be right. At least you are alright, I wish you all the best.

ryankokesh
01-31-2014, 04:04 PM
Oh no...

Thank god you're ok...

Sent from my iPhone

Stewbie
01-31-2014, 04:09 PM
Sorry to hear about your car Trevor. Glad you're intact though. ICBC will try to rush you to settle on personal injury claim. Don't let them. Some problems don't show up until well after the fact. See your family doc even if u think u r ok.

LivesNearCostco
01-31-2014, 04:22 PM
Trevor glad you're ok and hope you don't find any other injuries. You'll find another good car to replace her!

brettbimmer
01-31-2014, 04:24 PM
Nooooo Trevor! So sorry to see your car is totalled, yet thrilled that you are ok and able to post this yourself. Awesome outlook given the circumstances. May you find your dream M3 soon!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

QC_ZHP
01-31-2014, 04:47 PM
Glad you're okay man! Truly the death of a legendary e46 sedan!

yura
01-31-2014, 04:54 PM
Sorry to hear, Trevor. Glad you're enthusiastic and already thinking about an E46 M3, though! I'll keep an eye out for you. No convertibles, I'm assuming?

Avetiso
01-31-2014, 04:54 PM
Glad to hear you are okay, Trevor. That's the important part.

As for the car, I'm pretty sure it'll drive again. It's not as bad as it looks.

Good luck finding an M3! As great as the ZHP is, I'm that after 10 years, it's time for a change.

Hermes
01-31-2014, 04:59 PM
NOOO!!! Sorry to hear about this Trevor, but glad you're ok. You'll find a good replacement soon, just don't leave us on here

Newjack
01-31-2014, 05:03 PM
Trevor I'm so sorry to see this happen to you. I really hate reading these threads because I know how much my car means to me, and I can only imagine how upsetting this would be to another enthusiast. When I first joined the mafia almost 3 years ago, your ZHP stood out to me as an image my car would one day resemble. I loved your choice in tails, wheels, exhaust and ways you captured your car through photography. I'm really gonna miss seeing new pictures of the ZHP. But like you said, it wasn't so much the car itself, but the opportunities that the car gave you towards meeting new people. All of those great experiences that you had with the ZHP you won't ever forget, and no one can take those away. The good thing is you made it out OK and now you can start moving forward. Good luck on your search for an M3. It won't replace what you had, but I'd bet that second gear would be able to put a smile on your face.

Best wishes Trevor.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

midlandtech
01-31-2014, 05:08 PM
I'm glad you are OK and you have a great mindset. If ya need any thing looked at in Kansas City as you begin your search don't hesitate to call or message me.

taptalk + Note 3

johnrando
01-31-2014, 05:10 PM
So glad you're OK Trevor. Very heartbreaking. You have a great perspective on things. Make sure you stick around, you are family.

JKO_ZHP
01-31-2014, 05:18 PM
Sorry to hear about your car Trevor. Glad you're intact though. ICBC will try to rush you to settle on personal injury claim. Don't let them. Some problems don't show up until well after the fact. See your family doc even if u think u r ok.

+1. Glad to hear you're okay.
Seek a professional chiropractor immediately - that would be my best advice to you. It's been over a year since my crash but X-rays have shown that my spine/back is curving ever so slightly...prolonged standing & walking fatigues me now.

This is coming from someone who also felt sore right after the crash, that's it, and walked/drove/went to the gym fine a couple days later. But time has shown that problems can arise well after the fact, as Stewbie said.

derbo
01-31-2014, 05:19 PM
Glad you are okay buddy. When I read that title I didnt know what to expect..

Good luck with everything and hope you get checked out to make sure everything is in working order. Don't be a stranger!

danewilson77
01-31-2014, 05:25 PM
Damn Trevor. Sorry to hear bud. Glad you and other drivers are OK.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

yura
01-31-2014, 05:56 PM
Trevor, if you ever feel like test driving a 335 in your hunt for a new car, give me a shout!

When you're going to be looking at local cars, avoid this one: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bnc/ctd/4280271498.html
I had seen it last summer (it has been for sale for about a year now) and had agreed on $18.5k with the seller, found a million issues during PPI (including ripped subframe) and walked away. Now they have it listed for $16k and still can't sell it. Gorgeous colour, though.

BavarianZHP
01-31-2014, 05:58 PM
Don't be too hard on yourself in the upcoming days. The ZHP will live on in your photographs and memories. I'm really happy to hear you are fairing well. Did the airbags go off? I'm assuming not which kind of surprises me with that impact. Good luck with your M3 search, I hope it brings as much happiness as the ZHP!

Rovert
01-31-2014, 06:00 PM
A part of my went with my car as it got towed away. I had to crawl out the passenger side of the vehicle to get out because the fender overlapped the driver door. The damage of the hood, headlights (I know ZKW lights are worth $5 max), cooling system, front suspension, and painting of all panels damaged will surpass what a 2003 330 with 173,000 miles is worth. I just have to find some adds in Canada to support what is a fair payout. If anyone can help or right away knows, please don't hesitate to post here.

As far as parts from my car, I have a set of VMR710's wrapped in Conti DW's used for 2 summer seasons. Off the top of my head don't have much to give unless there are stock parts to replace with the vehicle. I'm just going to let the KW V2 coilover suspension goto the yard since it would be painful replacing that with my stock parts. Supersprint muffler is welded on aging/rusting pipes so that'll have to go down unless locals here can do something in a timely manner at the wreck yard. I hope a lot of the littler interior things I'll be able to transfer to what I hope will be another E46.

I enjoyed my time with my car. Wrenching, sweating, sore muscles, swearing was all part of what my car which made me. As that part of my life becomes my history, I have yet many more years to make more history. While this seems easy to type and read, this is very hard in practice. As with many of us, our car is another identity. It isn't just a lump of steel rolling on rubber (thanks Alex) to me. It's an identity that gave us joy and attitude. We thought about it when we don't see it and worried about it too. I'm excited to find something....if I need to goto Los Angeles to get something I will. Please look out for me as I alone can't do the job of a whole Mafia. That's what makes this family here an amazing support net for our car needs but most importantly, friendship.

I was in Emergency and the doctors checked me out as perfectly fine for now. I'm in good spirits that I'll be fine and I won't need to involve myself in painful settlements that cost more time than most of us make in money. I just want to get back on the road with something that'll send me back on the journey of Trevor. :D

cakM3
01-31-2014, 06:02 PM
Sorry to hear about your Bimmer Trevor but I'm glad you're okay. Hopefully you will find a very suitable replacement and begin a new journey :thumbsup

yura
01-31-2014, 06:11 PM
I hope a lot of the littler interior things I'll be able to transfer to what I hope will be another E46.

If you didn't see the link from the other thread, this M-Sport popped up recently: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/cto/4301726921.html. Incredibly low mileage, and the price isn't too absurd. I'd offer $15k, but realistically I think $16k would be a fair price to both parties. Jump on it quick!

JJ Motorsports in Burnaby also has a graphite grey M-Sport coupe (automatic, 107k km) for about $12.5k.

Rovert
01-31-2014, 06:15 PM
Trevor, if you ever feel like test driving a 335 in your hunt for a new car, give me a shout!

Yeah I saw that car before....it's so beautiful. If only it was in better condition. I know an SMG to Manual conversion is a $1500 job so I don't mind if the car has SMG which most have here in Vancouver. When it dies I'll just do a manual conversion. I've had my best fiend's 335 coupe out a few times but when I take that beautiful machine on familiar corners, there is just something not quite right that has been lost in the "mainstream" of BMW. When I drive my other friend's M3 convertible....well it just brings a feeling on that makes me giggle like a school boy. LOL.

Don't be too hard on yourself in the upcoming days. The ZHP will live on in your photographs and memories. I'm really happy to hear you are fairing well. Did the airbags go off? I'm assuming not which kind of surprises me with that impact. Good luck with your M3 search, I hope it brings as much happiness as the ZHP!

It's hard to be hard on yourself but I am doing alright considering. The airbags didn't go off because she could have taken more. Usually when airbags go off, people are being hurt at the same time. Airbags are there to save form death. My car crashed in a way so I didn't get physically hurt. It's a testament that even though it's a 10 year old car....it's body is built well enough to crumple correctly for maximum absorption of negative energy. I've never come to a stop so fast in so little distance before and it was amazing how the "landing" felt.

One thing is that even in dry conditions, winter performance tires do not slow you down the same way as summer tires. Today was a warm day and the pavement was above average in temperature so my winters were soft and I felt them scrub/flex/slide as ABS went off. It's kind of funny how I bought this car to avoid this from happening and I have avoided many of these with summer tires. I shouldn't say what if...but as a lesson....if I had my summers on, they would have gripped and I could have squeezed out of this before it happened. Oh well...I've learned much more today to give extra space even though the car is mounted with grippy winter tires compared to most winters.

M0nk3y
01-31-2014, 06:23 PM
Sorry to hear about this :(

Glad you are okay. Winters on dry pavement is a different animal. You described their characteristic perfectly

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Avetiso
01-31-2014, 06:31 PM
Trevor, do you have any interest in keeping it? The damage is fixable... you could use the payout money to repair it and still have money left over. Your title would become salvage (I assume) or the equivalent of that for Canada. I don't know how things work up there with the process, but if it's something that's possible, you could leave your car as a great DD in addition to an M3, possibly.

midlandtech
01-31-2014, 06:39 PM
+1. Glad to hear you're okay.
Seek a professional chiropractor immediately - that would be my best advice to you. It's been over a year since my crash but X-rays have shown that my spine/back is curving ever so slightly...prolonged standing & walking fatigues me now.

This. I have a patient that had an accident over a year ago and developed cervical symptoms... she came into the clinic and had a reversed curve in her neck when I xrayed her. She's had a near compete recovery though with a couple weeks of treatment.

taptalk + Note 3

Rovert
01-31-2014, 06:49 PM
I was planning to sell it this year to get an M3. So I have no interest in trying to sell it now. Might as well get a decent payout from insurance and not have to worry about selling it....even though my car would have been a pretty easy sell. Strangers asked if I was selling my car when it had the 19" VMRs on...LOL

I just came back from Emergency. Everything checks fine for now. At least it's documented. But that doesn't help if I have issues 6 months down the road because I'm checked out as OK today.

3ZHP
01-31-2014, 06:57 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. Unfortunately it;s a hard lesson to learn; my training was thirty + years ago when I made an accordion out of three with a Tow Truck. This happened when the van I was tailgating moved out of my line of sight and I found stopped traffic three lanes wide on a wet thruway.

Best of luck finding a transplant for that essential organ you lost.

kakashi169
01-31-2014, 07:17 PM
Good to hear that nothing was serious on your part. The emergency room must have been a long wait. The car does look fixable, I know how you feel about your ride. But if your heart is set on an M3 then its hard to turn back. If you part out, let us know. I do want some quotes from you.

fredo
01-31-2014, 08:32 PM
Sorry to hear this happened to you. The scenario you described is always on the back of my mind, and it's scary.

gmurphy
01-31-2014, 09:12 PM
I am glad you are ok and hope all is well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BavarianZHP
01-31-2014, 11:35 PM
I was with my brother as a passenger when he rear ended someone by not following at a safe distance. We both learned a hard, valuable lesson that day. Now I always leave plenty of following distance just in case, never know what could happen.

I keep looking at the pics you took of that gorgeous ZHP of yours. I can't help but think that it still looks so good, even with half its face wrecked. You took great care of it, and you were both lucky to have each other until the end.

Oli77
02-01-2014, 06:56 AM
Our cars are safe cars. This is sad but I sense the next Trevor journey has already started. Drive on brother.

Vas
02-01-2014, 06:56 AM
Sorry to hear. But you will have 10 years of memories now to look back on and enjoy.

Hornung418
02-01-2014, 07:45 AM
Saddens me to read. Glad you're okay, Trevor.

Sent from my GS3.

PirateZHP
02-01-2014, 07:46 AM
Sorry to hear, Trevor. Glad you are okay. Now I'm ready to see what the next ride is! :-)

HokieZHP
02-01-2014, 08:58 AM
Glad to hear your ok Trevor and sorry to hear about the car. Can't wait to see what you're going to move on to.

quikryptonite
02-01-2014, 09:27 AM
Trevor I'm so sorry to see this happen to you. I really hate reading these threads because I know how much my car means to me, and I can only imagine how upsetting this would be to another enthusiast. When I first joined the mafia almost 3 years ago, your ZHP stood out to me as an image my car would one day resemble. I loved your choice in tails, wheels, exhaust and ways you captured your car through photography. I'm really gonna miss seeing new pictures of the ZHP. But like you said, it wasn't so much the car itself, but the opportunities that the car gave you towards meeting new people. All of those great experiences that you had with the ZHP you won't ever forget, and no one can take those away. The good thing is you made it out OK and now you can start moving forward. Good luck on your search for an M3. It won't replace what you had, but I'd bet that second gear would be able to put a smile on your face.

Best wishes Trevor.

+1

Rovert
02-01-2014, 10:20 AM
Well I know what I want to move into. I just need to find it. Awful as it is, I was laying in bed all night on my phone researching M3's and looking on craigslist, autotrader, and cars. LOL. I found a 2006 ZCP interlagos blue being sold way under value so I'm just looking into why it's under value. Good times. I'm rusty at this car buying stuff. I'm getting into the swing of it real quick.

kayger12
02-01-2014, 10:31 AM
I've always admired your positive attitude, Trevor. Your graceful handling of this certainly reinforces my admiration.

Glad you're ok. Looking forward to watching you make the forthcoming M3 your own.

Rovert
02-01-2014, 12:24 PM
Haha the car I was interested in is rebranded.....so in other words it probably did Drift hoonage, lost control, hit a pothole, flipped and rolled, bounced off a bus, smashed into an oncoming semi, sliding into a ditch, into a light post, with a speed limit sign pieced through it's engine.

The search continues......

I woke up to this song: Pharrell Williams - Happy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7dPqrmDWxs)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7dPqrmDWxs

derbo
02-01-2014, 12:34 PM
Good luck Trevor. It's a shame. I liked your car. but a ZCP.. :drool I know you will have fun on the track with this one.

Rovert
02-01-2014, 12:46 PM
Are coupe window regulators and window seals crappy because of their high use of down and up on door opening or are they ok?

yura
02-01-2014, 04:28 PM
Are coupe window regulators and window seals crappy because of their high use of down and up on door opening or are they ok?

My '05 ZHP Coupe had 147k km when I sold it, and I believe all window parts were original (I had it since 118k km). I didn't hesitate to use the windows anytime I needed to, but I've heard of some people going as far as opening the door whenever they were at the drive through (to not use windows). I wouldn't worry about it myself.

BTW, there's an '02 Interlagos Blue SMG M3 with just over 100k km for $16k at a dealer in Victoria - it's on the local CL. Pretty low price, so I'd make sure it's not a rebuild. Interior (seats) also seem to have some custom work done.

BoostedZHP
02-03-2014, 11:44 AM
So sorry to hear that man! Glad to hear you're okay and good luck with the hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

webster
02-03-2014, 03:27 PM
I was heartbroken when I saw your text. Glad you're OK - these cars are engineered well for a reason. RIP to a beautiful ZHP, and hope you get into an even better car out of this. Let the M3 search begin!

+1 to this. wishing OP a speedy recovery and happy hunting for the next whip.

mLuMaN83
02-03-2014, 03:42 PM
BOGUS!!!

Glad you are OK tho. That's most important.

Opportunity to get something better now!

Stewbie
02-03-2014, 06:34 PM
If you didn't see the link from the other thread, this M-Sport popped up recently: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/cto/4301726921.html. Incredibly low mileage, and the price isn't too absurd. I'd offer $15k, but realistically I think $16k would be a fair price to both parties. Jump on it quick!

Have you looked at this one? My buddy contacted the seller via Craigslist e-mail (no other contact options given), and found the seller "aloof". He provided his full contact info in his e-mail but the seller didn't provide any of his info in the reply. The pics are clearly local, but you have to wonder about a seller who isn't very receptive to a buyer.

zhp43867
02-04-2014, 08:39 PM
I'm glad you're okay! Having totaled my ZHP this summer I know what you're feeling right now. I've followed your posting for a bit, your videos are the reason I have a Super Sprint exhaust on my new 330i! :)

yura
02-04-2014, 09:03 PM
Have you looked at this one? My buddy contacted the seller via Craigslist e-mail (no other contact options given), and found the seller "aloof". He provided his full contact info in his e-mail but the seller didn't provide any of his info in the reply. The pics are clearly local, but you have to wonder about a seller who isn't very receptive to a buyer.

I haven't seen the car, but I did initially email the seller asking if he'd be interested in a trade (+ cash) for my 335, and he replied fairly quickly saying he's only interested in selling. Pretty well-formed reply as far as Craigslist goes, but also no contact info. His name's Dave.

I find a lot of people are simply clueless when it comes to conducting business and basic courtesies of answering all questions and providing contact info to speed up the sale... you usually have to all but beg them to sell to you.

Rovert
02-05-2014, 02:24 AM
I'm glad you're okay! Having totaled my ZHP this summer I know what you're feeling right now. I've followed your posting for a bit, your videos are the reason I have a Super Sprint exhaust on my new 330i! :)

I'm glad they were of use! :)

Now if I can find a replacement car this would be great....it's just hard to find a clean M3 coupe nearby.

yura
02-05-2014, 08:58 PM
I'm glad they were of use! :)

Now if I can find a replacement car this would be great....it's just hard to find a clean M3 coupe nearby.

I know that feeling... Just a couple months ago I saw 3-4 amazing looking M3s on local CL, but they all sold quick and the only cars for sale now are the same ones that have been for sale for years. It'll be even tougher to find one come spring & summer :(. November was prime "M3 buying season."

sillieidiot
02-05-2014, 10:10 PM
damn sorry to hear about your car. at least you're bouncing back. i wouldn't be able to do that. if my car was totaled, i'd never be able step back into another e46 lol

i'd still check out the chiropractor though. when you're at the doctors, all they check for is like concussions and any thing that needs immediate attention. otherwise, they let you go. it's only some time later that you find out you have back aches or whatever.

Rovert
02-06-2014, 01:03 AM
It's been a few days now and I haven't felt anything out of the ordinary. I'll check with insurance about getting a checkup that way just to be safe.

Hieu, while a car becomes and extension of our body...mostly part of our heart, I know that, that is the only extension of our body that can replaced by something easily made in our free countries. It's must easier to bounce back than the more painful alternatives! It's funny because I've been in emergency 3 times out of the last 4 months. LOL. This has got to stop...I think I've been the chosen one to experience all this. The last two trips I learned what to really be thankful for. So this experience has helped put things into perspective.

I'm thankful that once all this mumble jumble paperwork is done on the insurance side, I have the means of immediately being able to pay cash for what I want. Meanwhile the family has enough vehicles to use so transportation isn't a stress. It'll be tough driving around an E39 540i for a bit...someone's got to do it!!

ELCID86
02-06-2014, 04:31 AM
^ love the new sig!

WOLFN8TR
02-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Sorry to hear the news about you're ZHP Trevor. Best thing is you are ok. :thumbup

Rovert
02-06-2014, 08:28 PM
Who here can I PM about pricing for M3's.....someone well versed in the vehicle and mods and such....

Crickett
02-06-2014, 08:57 PM
Dude. So sorry to read this. But so very glad that you escaped unscathed and in high spirits! Good luck with the http://tcholo.net:8080/images/bmw/m.gifM3 hunt!

http://tcholo.net/images/bmw/kcdo/KCDOMstripeSubduedSm.png

Who here can I PM about pricing for M3's.....someone well versed in the vehicle and mods and such....

Off the top of my head, I’d check with Charlie (cakM3) (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?8058-Charlie-s-M-Project-Thread) and Seth (UdubBadger) (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?9764-UdubBadger-s-quot-Charity-Case-quot-Build-Thread), both having ZHP and M3 experience.

niart906
02-07-2014, 08:06 AM
Just reading this now, glad your car kept you safe.

And I understand your frustration finding the right M3. It took me about 4-5 months to find mine. One of my good friends is currently on the hunt for one too. Just be patient, there are good cars out there at the right price.

Johnmadd
02-09-2014, 12:22 PM
Sorry to hear this, glad your ok. Good luck on the search for the M3!

orange260z
04-12-2014, 06:28 AM
Hey Trevor,

Very sorry to hear about your accident, but glad to hear you're ok and around to drive another day!

Best of luck finding the M3...

Rovert
04-12-2014, 04:21 PM
Thanks man! Still looking! I know if I put in some effort into finding one, the right one will fall into my lap when all the /// in the M lineup. LOL

BTW for those who wanted to know what insurance gave me, I got about $12,200CAD for the car with the aftermarket suspension and exhaust still mounted.

onepercent
04-12-2014, 05:53 PM
Glad you are OK. Sounds like insurance gave you a reasonable sum. The E46 M3 is fantastic. Word to the wise that the Vanos tabs are a failure point, I just replaced my Vanos exhaust ring and oil pump disk for about $2000. Ouch! At least that included a valve adjustment.

Good luck in your search!

Rovert
04-13-2014, 08:54 AM
Oh wow...was that repair caused by the vanos tab??

Pip
04-13-2014, 09:28 AM
When looking try and buy from an enthusiast who has documents for the vanos and subframe. If not make sure to have it checked out by a good Indy. Subframe cracks aren't easy to see just by lifting the car and popping your head under (look at reddish Motorsport vids) and vanos exhaust hub tabs are only easy to see with valve cover off.

DIY valve adjustment ~$300
DIY vanos if tabs in tact ~$360
DIY vanos if broken tabs ~$1000
DIY subframe if good ~$400-800
DIY subframe if cracked ~$800-$2000

PM if you have any questions. I've done the valve and vanos so those prices are what I paid for OEM or better aftermarket parts on my car. I did not factor in some of the additional tools needed to do the job as most can be rented or borrowed for free.

Torxuvin
04-13-2014, 12:39 PM
Wow. So sorry to see this. Good luck with your search. Plenty of us here have had M3s if you have any questions. I'm sure the right one will pop up. How hard is it to import US cars?

alexandre
04-13-2014, 04:52 PM
Wow. So sorry to see this. Good luck with your search. Plenty of us here have had M3s if you have any questions. I'm sure the right one will pop up. How hard is it to import US cars?

Some extra paperwork needed and federal & state inspections. US CBP wants to hold the title in custody for 72h to clear it of theft, counterfeit, etc. but that's it.

PS: nice acquisition! Hadn't seen it!

onepercent
04-13-2014, 05:26 PM
Oh wow...was that repair caused by the vanos tab??

The tab was broken off but somehow did not grenade the engine. Also the oil pump disk was worn out where the tab slots into it. We found it while doing a valve adjustment. With a broken vanos tab, I had to replace the exhaust hub and oil pump disk. $1000 in parts right there!

If I were to do it all over again, I'd still buy the E46 M3. It's great, I love it. Coming from a ZHP you will feel right at home, just a bit more power and higher revving. They are basically the same car but the one thing I liked better about my ZHP was the shifter.

I have a convertible so subframe is not an issue on mine but something to watch out for on a coupe, as others have mentioned.

Rovert
04-13-2014, 05:34 PM
I heard the subframe isn't as much to worry about when the car is driven firmly but not bagging on it. As with everything I believe it's the forces that tear anything apart when abrupt like a hammer drill.

Is the oil pump disk and exhaust hub a common replacement?

Torxuvin
04-13-2014, 05:49 PM
Some extra paperwork needed and federal & state inspections. US CBP wants to hold the title in custody for 72h to clear it of theft, counterfeit, etc. but that's it.

Gotcha. That opens the search grid some. I seem to remember seeing a lot of M3s in Seattle.

Pip
04-13-2014, 09:07 PM
I heard the subframe isn't as much to worry about when the car is driven firmly but not bagging on it. As with everything I believe it's the forces that tear anything apart when abrupt like a hammer drill.

I think you're right about the subframe and as for the tabs/disc I think it is a toss up. My car had 50-60k miles and was broken. Charlie had ~100k+ and his was fine. Just check for it and you can always prevent cheaply with the Beisan kit.

Avetiso
04-13-2014, 09:14 PM
I think you're right about the subframe and as for the tabs/disc I think it is a toss up. My car had 50-60k miles and was broken. Charlie had ~100k+ and his was fine. Just check for it and you can always prevent cheaply with the Beisan kit.
Does that have any correlation to how the car was driven? Or is it luck of the draw?

Rovert
04-13-2014, 10:50 PM

He's been "F'ed"!!!!!!

onepercent
04-14-2014, 07:04 AM

I'd agree with your assessment of the subframe.

The oil pump disk and exhaust hub combo is necessary when a tab is broken. If not broken, one can insure against broken tabs by replacing oil pump disk with the Beisan oil pump disk. Beisan disk has slightly different holes that reduce the "play" of the tab in the hole, thereby reducing stress on the tab.

The broken vanos tab seems pretty random if you look around on M3forum. Sometimes it happens at relatively low miles, but other cars go six digits with no issue. Some people think that softly driven M3s are more subject to broken tabs than hard-driven M3s, but this is pure speculation at this point.

Again, if I had to do it all over again, I'd still go for the E46 M3. Now with a TurboToy hub, Beisan oil pump disk, and new vanos bolts, I should be good for quite a while.

Rovert
04-15-2014, 08:17 AM
What kind of timing would all this take to fix if DIYed?

onepercent
04-15-2014, 08:26 AM
5-6 hours for someone who has done it before and has a helper, probably double that for someone doing it on their own for the first time. I wouldn't recommend that someone do this job without assistance from someone who has worked extensively on this engine.

This DIY covers the oil disk replacement (I don't think it covers exhaust hub replacement) plus a few more items:
http://www.beisansystems.com/procedures/s54_vanos_procedure.htm

Rovert
04-16-2014, 10:14 AM
I bought something! :roundel My search is over!

Hornung418
04-16-2014, 10:16 AM
OOoooohh!! In for updates!

Rovert
04-16-2014, 10:20 AM
O///MG!!!! It's pouring rain.....It deserves a dry day. LOL.

Torxuvin
04-16-2014, 10:23 AM
:mob Need more hints

Hornung418
04-16-2014, 10:37 AM
As sporty as Trevor is, I am guessing it's a really nice, low mileage e46 M3.

Avetiso
04-16-2014, 10:47 AM
In for Rolls Royce Phantom.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

yura
04-16-2014, 12:13 PM
I got the chance to see Trevor's car the other day and took a pic. Congrats on the new pick up, she'll treat you well!

http://www.drivearabia.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Lada-2107-6.jpg

Rovert
04-16-2014, 12:19 PM
:help It just broke....I'm stuck on the side of the road. LOL

Rovert
04-16-2014, 12:27 PM
In for Rolls Royce Phantom.

:shifty

http://f.cl.ly/items/1c0F1g1W460r3S173K2f/2014-04-15%2016.35.03%20edit.jpg

:biggrin

Avetiso
04-16-2014, 12:27 PM
I got the chance to see Trevor's car the other day and took a pic. Congrats on the new pick up, she'll treat you well!

http://www.drivearabia.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Lada-2107-6.jpg

:rofl just the right car.

Torxuvin
04-16-2014, 12:55 PM
:shifty

http://f.cl.ly/items/1c0F1g1W460r3S173K2f/2014-04-15%2016.35.03%20edit.jpg

:biggrin

:drool

That's an unusual color. (I approve though) Topaz?

Torxuvin
04-16-2014, 12:55 PM

Rofl

Rovert
04-16-2014, 01:14 PM
http://cl.ly/image/1K0F2h1L0B1V/2014-04-15%2018.02.59%20copy.jpg

Avetiso
04-16-2014, 01:34 PM
:drool

gmurphy
04-16-2014, 01:38 PM
Sweetness!

danewilson77
04-16-2014, 01:43 PM
:help It just broke....I'm stuck on the side of the road. LOL

What does this mean? It starnded you Trevor?

Rovert
04-16-2014, 01:44 PM
What does this mean? It starnded you Trevor?

Haha, no I was talking about the Lada.

danewilson77
04-16-2014, 01:46 PM
Haha, no I was talking about the Lada.

Whew!

yura
04-16-2014, 01:51 PM
That's a great colour!

Say, you weren't driving on Marine Way in Vancouver this Saturday afternoon, were you? I was hauling my bike from my mechanic and there was a very clean, blue E46 M3 behind me for a little while. Your neighbourhood - I think.

BTW, is that an E39 M5 in Imola Red I spot in that pic? Rare!

Rovert
04-16-2014, 02:04 PM
Say, you weren't driving on Marine Way in Vancouver this Saturday afternoon, were you? I was hauling my bike from my mechanic and there was a very clean, blue E46 M3 behind me for a little while. Your neighbourhood - I think.

BTW, is that an E39 M5 in Imola Red I spot in that pic? Rare!

I'm in Surrey. Imma just go check to see if the car is still there. LOL. My hood is Coquitlam, Surrey, and the good land of the US of A! That's either an Imola 530i or 540i M-sport from zooming in on the original pic I took.

yura
04-16-2014, 02:08 PM
I'm in Surrey. Imma just go check to see if the car is still there. LOL. My hood is Coquitlam, Surrey, and the good land of the US of A! That's either an Imola 530i or 540i M-sport from zooming in on the original pic I took.

Gotcha. Thought you were around Marpole for some reason.

Torxuvin
04-16-2014, 02:37 PM
http://cl.ly/image/1K0F2h1L0B1V/2014-04-15%2018.02.59%20copy.jpg

it's what I always wanted.... :drool I love estoril

Hornung418
04-16-2014, 02:39 PM
Oh no way. Estoril M3. Absolutely love it!! Awaiting your photo shoot of your new machine.

Sent from my GS3.

Pip
04-16-2014, 05:54 PM
Need pictures!! Soooo looking forward to your new car thread. It's going to be a great journey.

johnrando
04-16-2014, 08:09 PM
Whoa Trevor.... that's AWESOME! Come on, pics pics pics pics!

Avetiso
04-16-2014, 09:19 PM
Looks a little more blue than estoril... need pics to confirm right now.

Rovert
04-16-2014, 10:01 PM
LOL you guys. I'll make a new thread when I have time. I'm just grateful that I have headlights that aren't burnt from it's own heat!!!! :thumbsup

Hermes
04-16-2014, 10:41 PM
Sweet, congrats Trevor!

onepercent
04-17-2014, 05:21 AM
One of the best colors of all time. Let's see it!

slater
04-17-2014, 06:21 AM
LOL you guys. I'll make a new thread when I have time. I'm just grateful that I have headlights that aren't burnt from it's own heat!!!! :thumbsup

LOL!! there IS a fix for that, ya know (just went through it on mine).

congrats on the ///M, that's one of my favorite colors.

peter

cakM3
04-17-2014, 06:45 AM
Congrats on the ///M Trevor! I know it will be in great hands :thumbsup Enjoy!

alexandre
04-17-2014, 07:23 PM
Mint 52,000 mile loaded Individual Estoril M3 with ZHP goodies too! Shadowline trim and Anthracite headliner. Can't get any better than that.

:drool:drool:drool:drool:drool:drool:drool:drool:d rool:drool:drool:drool:drool:drool:drool everywhere

Congrats :thumbsup

Oli77
04-18-2014, 07:47 AM
Woot woot happy for you Trevor!

BoostedZHP
04-19-2014, 09:56 PM
Congratulations Trevor. So glad to see you make the best out of this and end up with another car you'll love. Can't wait to see more

Stewbie
04-24-2014, 06:28 PM
Nice!

Rovert
04-24-2014, 08:19 PM
I'm too busy driving to take pics. LOL. I'm having a ball with with car. There's just a something up with this car that I never felt in the ZHP. When I press the right pedal too far it feels like the doors to Evil get opened and I feel like I'm about to die while feeling more alive than ever with a hard strong heartbeat in my chest. Only after I release the right foot I can recover from that little excursion of right pedal evil ///M'ness.

Rovert
05-03-2014, 12:30 AM
And here is the link to my new chapter. (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?12910-The-Post-Car-Crash-***BLUE...***)

Vas
05-03-2014, 10:03 AM
Looking to another 10 years of ownership?

Car does soo special.

MsRN
05-04-2014, 09:17 PM
Welcome to the 'Ridiculously Fast' club, Trevor! :)

MsRN
05-04-2014, 09:18 PM
Oh, and you might want to buy a radar detector... ;)

Rovert
05-04-2014, 11:45 PM
Welcome to the 'Ridiculously Fast' club, Trevor! :)

After one week of owning it I learned this car isn't ridiculously fast after a ZR1 pulled up next to me. When it was go time he took off with that 600hp V8 rumble and left an earthquake in his wake, rippling time. It's like he sped up time for himself and put me into slow motion. There was no sense in trying to catch up after first gear. LOL

As for a radar detector, the best one is in my head, gut, and common sense. I see so many use their detector as an excuse to be reckless with little fear because it's advertised to warn of an upcoming active radar trap. But that's just me. Haha.

I'm a grandpa driver most of the time. Corolla S and Colbalt SS pass me by the dozens. At least now I can keep up with newer Accords when I need them to pace them. LOL

johnrando
05-05-2014, 12:16 AM
After one week of owning it I learned this car isn't ridiculously fast after a ZR1 pulled up next to me. When it was go time he took off with that 600hp V8 rumble and left an earthquake in his wake, rippling time. It's like he sped up time for himself and put me into slow motion. There was no sense in trying to catch up after first gear. LOL

As for a radar detector, the best one is in my head, gut, and common sense. I see so many use their detector as an excuse to be reckless with little fear because it's advertised to warn of an upcoming active radar trap. But that's just me. Haha.

I'm a grandpa driver most of the time. Corolla S and Colbalt SS pass me by the dozens. At least now I can keep up with newer Accords when I need them to pace them. LOL

lol

MsRN
05-05-2014, 06:52 AM

A little perspective, Trevor. I'm reading 'By the Shores of Silver Lake' (think Little House on the Prairie series, which is autobiographical) to my six-year-old daughter. In it, thirteen-year-old Laura Ingalls takes her first train ride, and marvels at the fact that the train transports them--in one morning--a distance that by covered wagon would take them five days. She likes the wagon better, because she has time to look at the scenery; everything rushes by in the train. The trains top speed? 20 mph.

So a ZR1 can blow your doors off? Only until the ignition switch fails.

MsRN
05-05-2014, 06:57 AM
I also lack a radar detector, Trevor. I use my eyes, ears and brain. That being said, having >300 ft/lbs of torque is a real temptation to trouble. Remember, power corrupts... ;)

johnrando
05-05-2014, 07:02 AM
Yup, sometimes a radar detector is a good reminder. Sometimes it's peace of mind. "Ooops, just shot past that officer, wonder if he hit me w/radar"?

cakM3
05-05-2014, 07:37 AM
I also lack a radar detector, Trevor. I use my eyes, ears and brain. That being said, having >300 ft/lbs of torque is a real temptation to trouble. Remember, power corrupts... ;)

I have to agree here...although I do have a Valentine V1 radar detector that I use, I have found staying with the "basics" tend to keep you out of trouble. I don't use my radar detector as an indication for speeding....on the contrary, I use mine to help provide more situational awareness when driving. Whenever I know there's a police officer using their radar, I am more alert for the drivers around me because it always happens when there's one who over reacts so I can prepare for this ahead of time :thumbsup

I also believe that having more power can easily lead to trouble so I always say with power comes responsibility....:)

Rovert
05-05-2014, 08:57 AM
My dad has a 540i equipped with a Valentine One. It's very easy to speed in that car because it isolates you from the real world so well. And I do lose some of my ability to think for myself because I rely on the beeps to protect me. It's rather addicting to feel it's 322ft lbs of torque. LOL.

I was only served one speeding ticket in my ZHP in the ten years of owning it in Canada and one in the USA. My dad would always insist he drive it because he can't stand to see me driving a ZHP a tad over the speed limit. LOL

The S54 though, let's you know you're going quicker than you should. She's a screamer. Haha.

webster
05-05-2014, 02:15 PM
congrats on the M3, trevor. so gorgeous.

Rovert
08-20-2014, 05:48 PM
So to close the chapter on my ZHP,

I am always looking for "E46" parts on the local craigslist. All the sudden from the same person I started seeing adds about a rear M-tech II bumper, a 3.07 rear diff, a ZHP steering rack, then it really clicked when i saw my Supersprint muffler/exhaust and ZHP front control arms with "Powerflex" bushings installed that look new and hardly used. Along with that I found the whole rear subframe and my brakes.

I decided to contact the seller and within 24 hours we are now friends. His name is Tom and he found my car sitting at a local shop collecting dust. He noticed seeing a few parts removed like the black cube interior trim, wipers and motors, shift knob, and a few other small things. He looked around and checked it out knowing that this crashed E46 on 17" M68 wheels was more special than any other car. Tom kept quiet and noticed it was a ZHP that included more modifications that only an enthusiast would see. He asked if the shop would sell him the car for $1,500 since it looked like it was collected dust and leaves in the corner. He got a "maybe."

So he got one of the shop guys to start the car while he was in front of it looking at the engine and listening for anything strange as it started. By chance the shop guy didn't know the car was in gear when he went to release the clutch to get out. Tom was now in front of the car as it lurched forward and his brother was able to shove him away from the impact zone as my car shot forward and crashed into another vehicle. Lives flashed before one another's eyes and a lot of "what if's". In the end no one was seriously hurt other than the pride of the shop guy and Tom's knees as he fell to the ground while my car skimmed him.

This was not a happy situation and the manager was scared about what could have happened. In the next days Tom went back after feeling better and wanted to check the engine over as he wanted to buy the car. She fired up and right away and he knew it was not your standard ZHP. The Supersprint muffler sung her song and he noticed how all the fluids were clean and topped up while the engine purred out the muffler. He felt the shift lever throws were incredible short as well as the lowered suspension stance.

He was still upset at just about being killed or at least losing his legs and made a deal with the shop manager to purchase the car for....

$700.

On the phone I told him he was one of the most fortunate people to purchase a wrecked BMW. He told me he and his brother own two E30's and two E36's and work on cars together. He plans to use the 6MT transmission with an S52 engine into his E36. He wants to transplant the ZHP engine into his E30. He tested the KWV2's and the impacted side is totally straight and mint. Not a bad deal for $700. LOL

So this is what my car looks like today:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/Do3aGAUBHU4D9LV-kq6z2a_dy-NWhfbVOKD0J86rTDp5=w1001-h663-no

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-nyWB37p_ds0/U_VL-0VF2ZI/AAAAAAAAQbc/PTX57DHE598/w1001-h663-no/_DSC0081.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/DSo4J9bTmInAhA-NjHAvTpfFqhuAcuUcjNTszp2znpFH=w1001-h663-no

I guess she will live on into many other cars! I'm even going to go pickup some parts from my old car to put in the ///M.

Vas
08-20-2014, 05:59 PM
That's kinda sad. I would have fixed her back up.RIP zhp

johnrando
08-20-2014, 06:29 PM
Sad but awesome at the same time, so that would be bittersweet. (Duh) :-) Thanks for the update Trevor, cool story.

danewilson77
08-20-2014, 06:34 PM
Trevor,

Post up a pic when you had her all minty.

The friendliest forum on the planet!

pilotnick1203
08-26-2014, 02:45 PM
Awwww I wish somebody would rebuild it, glad it will live on in other cars.

Rovert
08-26-2014, 03:00 PM
I was at the owners place a few days ago and within 3 days of stripping her, they recycled the steel chassis for $80. LOL.

The good thing is she will live on in many other cars including two of my friend's BMWs and my own ///M. :)

Here's a pic of her good side:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-C8OlUlUDdQg/T8wgv2eo32I/AAAAAAAAEFM/vyZTnlAIngU/w1024-h704-no/E46-1000814.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-peStwZYX278/T8wgveCl6wI/AAAAAAAAEE0/5BhNjGONmwM/w1024-h704-no/E46-1000781.jpg

The great thing is that this car allowed me to stand on the shoulders of BMW Awesomeness so that I could reach higher and grab onto the next greatest Ultimate Driving Machines. It was funny because the guy who bought my car has an identical twin who partners with him in buying cars, selling parts, fixing cars, etc.... They finish each other's sentences and say the same thing. So I thought I'd test something in the ///M and when I gave them a ride and squeezed the right pedal into ///M chaos....the shutup at the same time too! They truly are twins! LOL. Really good guys and now I have two identical twins that I don't know how to tell apart yet which I consider friends and part of this amazing journey.

danewilson77
08-27-2014, 04:27 AM
I miss this car.

derbo
08-27-2014, 09:29 AM
I miss this car.

I do too. :(

johnrando
09-02-2014, 07:28 AM
+1. It was a beaut.