PDA

View Full Version : The Random E46/ZHP Question Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

az3579
06-17-2016, 03:19 PM
Oh... Is that easily reset?

Don't people have non-OEM seats in their street cars? Do they just ignore the light?
Easily reset with PA Soft or INPA.

I imagine those with aftermarket seats would code them off or use some kind of device to fool it... I don't remember.

Sent from my LG V10 on Tapatalk

stephenkirsh
06-18-2016, 11:41 AM
Ok. I don't have either of those, but I'll keep that in mind.

Don't we have a member here who sells the USB cable for PA Soft? I finally got Windows via VMware for my MacBook.

ecrabb
06-19-2016, 07:39 PM
OK, so I went to take the ZHP to C&C this morning, and figured out the puddle in front of the car that I thought was water yesterday isn't water. It's coolant. I checked the overflow tank and sure enough, it's empty.

I drove the car to work Friday, and on Friday night, and there was no puddle. The puddle appeared Saturday morning, I believe. I thought it was water from the irrigation system early Saturday morning, and didn't think anything of it until it was still there Sunday morning, and then I found a couple of dots on the hood that dripped from the garage door. Not suspecting anything wrong yet, I drove the car a little Saturday night and everything appeared fine; no lights or temp that I know of.

The part that really has me baffled is the puddle under the door is two feet from the front end of the car... There's no trailer or runner from under the car, I can't see a single drop anywhere on the belly pan or front fascia, and not a drop on the floor under the car. It's like it puked out a quart on the floor when I drove by the door on Friday night, then stopped. The only place I can see anything are some drips on top of the expansion tank, and what might be something wet down on the rail behind the radiator on the passenger side.

The car only has 45k miles on it, but is an '04. Judging by appearance, I think the hoses may have been replaced at some point, but probably not the expansion tank or water pump as the car wasn't enthusiast-owned for the least 4-5 years, nor would anybody probably think it was necessary given the mileage.

Should I drop the belly cover and try to see where it's leaking from? Fill the expansion tank and start it in the garage and let it idle and see if I can find the leak? Thoughts?

Thanks, guys!

SC

Sockethead
06-19-2016, 08:16 PM
I'd refill it and see what happens. Make sure you bring it up to temperature if you are going to just leave in the garage and see what leaks. Take off the plastic belly pan before starting so if it does leak you can get an accurate location. If it leaked on the belly pan then it may run to the back of the pan and drip out.
Also, if it's the water pump seal, it could be leaking out the weep hole for the seal. That would still leak onto the pan, I believe...

stephenkirsh
06-19-2016, 08:39 PM
Coolant there is usually heater core, right?

ecrabb
06-20-2016, 06:49 AM
I'd refill it and see what happens. Make sure you bring it up to temperature if you are going to just leave in the garage and see what leaks. Take off the plastic belly pan before starting so if it does leak you can get an accurate location. If it leaked on the belly pan then it may run to the back of the pan and drip out.
Also, if it's the water pump seal, it could be leaking out the weep hole for the seal. That would still leak onto the pan, I believe...

Thanks! I'll try to tear into it tonight and see what I can find out and report back.

SC

ecrabb
06-20-2016, 06:51 AM
Coolant there is usually heater core, right?

I think my post might have been confusing... The puddle of coolant I found was two feet in front of the car, i.e. two feet *away* from the car. I don't see anything at all under the car, but I need to put the front end on stands and take the belly pan off and see what I can see from underneath.

SC

danewilson77
06-20-2016, 07:23 AM
This, and remove the belly pan for diagnosis.

S7 Edge, out

stephenkirsh
06-21-2016, 09:43 AM
I think my post might have been confusing... The puddle of coolant I found was two feet in front of the car, i.e. two feet *away* from the car. I don't see anything at all under the car, but I need to put the front end on stands and take the belly pan off and see what I can see from underneath.

SC

Oh my bad.

Ya remove the belly pan so you can get a more accurate idea of where it's leaking from.

On my family's 3 E46s, the two most common spots are from the expansion tank, and the aux fan temp sensor o ring that plugs into the lowest hose near the AC compressor.

san
06-21-2016, 10:06 AM
the two most common spots are from the expansion tank, and the aux fan temp sensor o ring that plugs into the lowest hose near the AC compressor.

+1

I had the same 2 parts go bad on mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theothersawyer
06-21-2016, 11:15 AM
Easily reset with PA Soft or INPA.

I imagine those with aftermarket seats would code them off or use some kind of device to fool it... I don't remember.

I've been wanting to remove the seats to properly vacuum under them and clean the carpet (I spilled a Dr. Pepper...)

Also, what are the common oil leaks on these cars? I had to remove the belly pan for a bolt I dropped and noticed the engine had oil on it...

fredo
06-21-2016, 11:35 AM
3 Common oil leaks:
Oil filter housing gasket,
Valve cover gasket,
Oil pan gasket.

theothersawyer
06-21-2016, 12:03 PM
Oil filter and valve cover are easy enough, but I don't wanna mess with an oil pan gasket!

Vas
06-21-2016, 12:08 PM
Oil filter and valve cover are easy enough, but I don't wanna mess with an oil pan gasket!

Road trip to VA? I can knock it out in 4 hours.

theothersawyer
06-21-2016, 12:10 PM
Sound like a plan to me! Haha

ClimRox
06-22-2016, 06:41 AM
How hard is it to remove the lower steering wheel trim piece for restoration? DIYs or pics? I'm tired of the fingernail marks.

az3579
06-22-2016, 07:02 AM
How hard is it to remove the lower steering wheel trim piece for restoration? DIYs or pics? I'm tired of the fingernail marks.

It's not hard, but be advised, it will never look as good as a new one. Once resprayed, it won't match the top button panel. If you do it, I'd recommend you do the button panel as well to match.

ClimRox
06-22-2016, 07:52 AM
It's not hard, but be advised, it will never look as good as a new one. Once resprayed, it won't match the top button panel. If you do it, I'd recommend you do the button panel as well to match.

Thanks for the insight. This is interesting, because the lower trim on mine is definitely a different color than the top button panel. The lower trim is more of a soft touch matte black, and the top is more of a hard plastic satin or gloss black.

I was thinking of trying a 3M vinyl wrap in either satin or matte black for the lower.

az3579
06-22-2016, 10:23 AM
I was thinking of trying a 3M vinyl wrap in either satin or matte black for the lower.

You can't go wrong with a vinyl wrap. :)

Sockethead
06-22-2016, 10:59 AM
make sure you use a heat gun or at least a hair dryer when you do it or it won't go around curves, edges, etc, Lots of YouTube videos on it...

ClimRox
06-23-2016, 06:09 PM
Does anyone have a recommendation for the serpentine and AC belts for our cars?

I put a set of Continental (OEM I think?) brand belts on 14 months ago, and now I think I have an intermittent belt squeak/chirp for the first 20 or so minutes of driving, even though the ambient temp. is pretty warm here right now. I replaced all tensioners and pulleys with OEM INA parts at that time as well.

ecrabb
06-23-2016, 08:36 PM
OK, guys... So a follow-up on my earlier question about my coolant leak. It looks like a pressure relief plug on the expansion tank is leaking, at least to me. But I went ahead and started a thread on it in the Mechanical/troubleshooting subforum....

Weird coolant leak... (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?18538-Weird-coolant-leak)

Thanks, guys!!!

SC

MtechJon
06-26-2016, 12:41 PM
Does anyone have a recommendation for the serpentine and AC belts for our cars?

I put a set of Continental (OEM I think?) brand belts on 14 months ago, and now I think I have an intermittent belt squeak/chirp for the first 20 or so minutes of driving, even though the ambient temp. is pretty warm here right now. I replaced all tensioners and pulleys with OEM INA parts at that time as well.

Sounds like it could be one of the pulleys, first see if you see the belts wiggling side to side they should be running smooth and straight, then take of the belts and try spinning the pulleys if they spin easy thats a sign of a bad, when spinning it should turn about half a turn thats a good pulley.

MtechJon
06-26-2016, 12:42 PM
was told i should post here but I need something that is $50 and is actually useful and beneficial nothing cosmetic so I can get free shipping on ecs tunning rather not spend 20 on shipping and get something instead, was thinking some new interior pieces but im looking for more engine wise right now

fredo
06-26-2016, 01:14 PM
Not engine related, but ... Do you need trunk struts ? They are like $50 each. Part number is 51248227895.

MtechJon
06-26-2016, 04:41 PM
found the answer to my own problem Ive had this clunking going on in the front right and just tried moving the sway bar end links and it moves on the right side but not the left ill just replace them both so 2 of them lemforder brand is 50 looks like im getting free shipping :rockon

holyc0w
06-27-2016, 06:04 AM
ECS is doing free shipping on eligible items from today through tomorrow.

Vas
06-27-2016, 10:44 AM

Yes they are. Ordered a fuel pump and other things that go with it.

theothersawyer
06-27-2016, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the heads up! Now I can finally order my fog light cover and don't have to pay more for shipping than the part is worth! Guess I'll order one for each side so they match!

MtechJon
06-27-2016, 02:58 PM

Lol got the email today, at least I got the parts i needed

ClimRox
06-30-2016, 10:17 AM
I've done some research, and am confused as to the battery I need to purchase for my car. It seems like the most recommended battery, Duralast 49DL, is no longer available.

I'm planning on getting one from Pepboys, because they have 35% off on batteries right now (plus it's Bosch, which may have been OEM)? The parts finder on their website shows a Group 94R regular lead/acid battery and an H7 AGM battery as fitting. However, I also read that the Bosch 49-850B may work.

Opinions and experiences?

Sockethead
06-30-2016, 10:42 AM
IIRC Interstate is now making OEM replacement batteries for BMW

terraphantm
07-02-2016, 07:32 AM
Pretty much all batteries world wide are made by one of three (or so) manufacturers. Originals were made by Varta. I think in the US replacement batteries tend to be East Penn (Deka) or Exide.

g92069
07-02-2016, 11:54 AM
In my (many) years of buying batteries, for cars, trucks, and motorcycles...batteries are batteries. There is the occasional "defective" battery that does not last, however most batteries these days come with a replacement warranty that should cover the "defective" period. FYI, I located an Exide battery (L3/48X) that is showing as being sold at a Home Depot near me for $109. I paid more than that for my motorcycle battery.

Sockethead
07-02-2016, 05:31 PM
IIRC Interstate is now making OEM replacement batteries for BMW

Sorry it's Exide... I looked at my battery

ClimRox
07-03-2016, 07:07 AM
Thanks for all the replies on batteries! :cheers My current battery is an Advance Auto Titanium with a production date of Aug. 2007.

anandoc
07-08-2016, 02:19 PM
I usually get the low engine oil level warning (amber light) in between oil changes (4000Kms - 6000Kms after an oil change), which is quote normal due to minor oil leaks etc. Since I had not received one in quite a while, I decided to check the oil level manually and I found the level to be lower than even the minimum mark on the dipstick. Ofcourse I topped it up with 5W30 BMW LL engine oil I had lying around.

Question: Has anybody experienced the oil level sensor to go bad in a way where the low level warning does not light up anymore? I have read on various other forums that usually when the sensor is dying, it would light up amber after the car has been started...I never experienced that.

It would only ever warn me about low level by lighting up for about 15 seconds after I turn off my car. Right now when I turn the key to position 2, the light comes on amber for a second and then followed by red and once I turn the engine on, it switches off.

Any tips would be awesome!

terraphantm
07-08-2016, 05:14 PM
Anyone know if the hole for the coolant drain plug the M54 has a raised lip? Can't decide if what I'm seeing is a washer stuck to the block or if I lost the washer somewhere and I'm actually trying to remove part of the block itself.

wsmeyer
07-08-2016, 05:30 PM
Not entirely certain what you're asking but the bung between cylinders 1&2 for coolant plug is on a curved surface so it would have to have a machined flat surface.

terraphantm
07-08-2016, 05:57 PM
Am I looking at a stuck washer here (sure looks like it to me), and if so, anyone have any tips for how to get it off? Prying at it just marred the surface

http://i.imgur.com/mCF1Yr0h.jpg

wsmeyer
07-08-2016, 06:54 PM
It's hard to tell as I can't zoom in on the pic but the outer right side looks to thin to be a washer and an aluminum washer against an aluminum surface doesn't make a lot of sense

rguti153
07-08-2016, 07:22 PM
I usually get the low engine oil level warning (amber light) in between oil changes (4000Kms - 6000Kms after an oil change), which is quote normal due to minor oil leaks etc. Since I had not received one in quite a while, I decided to check the oil level manually and I found the level to be lower than even the minimum mark on the dipstick. Ofcourse I topped it up with 5W30 BMW LL engine oil I had lying around.

Question: Has anybody experienced the oil level sensor to go bad in a way where the low level warning does not light up anymore? I have read on various other forums that usually when the sensor is dying, it would light up amber after the car has been started...I never experienced that.

It would only ever warn me about low level by lighting up for about 15 seconds after I turn off my car. Right now when I turn the key to position 2, the light comes on amber for a second and then followed by red and once I turn the engine on, it switches off.

I experience the same thing

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

terraphantm
07-08-2016, 07:26 PM
It's hard to tell as I can't zoom in on the pic but the outer right side looks to thin to be a washer and an aluminum washer against an aluminum surface doesn't make a lot of sense

RealOEM does show an aluminum washer though

wsmeyer
07-08-2016, 08:09 PM
Interesting. Not sure what the purpose is but I'm sure they have a good reason

anandoc
07-08-2016, 10:00 PM
I experience the same thing

You mean the amber light does not light up even though you are low on engine oil?

az3579
07-09-2016, 07:28 AM
Am I looking at a stuck washer here (sure looks like it to me), and if so, anyone have any tips for how to get it off? Prying at it just marred the surface

http://i.imgur.com/mCF1Yr0h.jpg

Yes, a copper washer goes there. I bought an Elring one from FCP when I ordered the rest of my cooling system, Elring P/N 242.608.
Looks to be the same shape and thickness of what you have "stuck" there...

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/coper-washer-rcs-14-x18-elring-18671

What if you tried something like dental floss to try to pry up under it?

terraphantm
07-09-2016, 12:11 PM
Well I got it off and it's definitely an aluminum washer. Dealer washer is also aluminum. Either material probably is fine.

http://i.imgur.com/UASC3mch.jpg

Sockethead
07-09-2016, 01:28 PM
Damn, that thing was on there!

stephenkirsh
07-11-2016, 09:19 AM

Those sensors are known to fail. I thought they throw a false warning when they fail, though.

stephenkirsh
07-12-2016, 02:16 PM
How's my diff bushing look?

Slight crack on the right, maybe?

Sockethead
07-12-2016, 02:52 PM
yea, it's starting to fail. Time to start thinking about replacing it...

stephenkirsh
07-12-2016, 03:25 PM
I don't daily the car any more.

How many miles you think it has left?

FungShui
07-12-2016, 04:33 PM
I'm planning on overhauling the cooling system. Should I replace all the tensioners and pulleys or just the pulleys themselves?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sockethead
07-12-2016, 04:47 PM
I don't daily the car any more.

How many miles you think it has left?
Hard to say... there is a lot of torque on that bushing but if it took this long to tear... I'd just put it on your future to do list.

Sockethead
07-12-2016, 04:48 PM
I'm planning on overhauling the cooling system. Should I replace all the tensioners and pulleys or just the pulleys themselves?

I just replaced the pulleys on mine, the bearings were shot. I have 141k on the car

stephenkirsh
07-13-2016, 11:28 AM
Hard to say... there is a lot of torque on that bushing but if it took this long to tear... I'd just put it on your future to do list.

Yea I already have a replacement bushing.

san
07-14-2016, 08:12 AM
I recently learned that all Zhp's came with heated side mirrors and when the ambient temperature drops below 0C, they heat up...
Is this accurate?

If it is, then will the mirrors heat up even when the mirror's ribbon cable is broke?

az3579
07-14-2016, 10:23 AM
I recently learned that all Zhp's came with heated side mirrors and when the ambient temperature drops below 0C, they heat up...
Is this accurate?

37 degrees Fahrenheit is the magic number. Below that, they heat up.

If it is, then will the mirrors heat up even when the mirror's ribbon cable is broke?

It depends on what kind of 'broke' we're talking about here. My original ribbons had some slight damage to them, but they still heated up. I can see a damaged cable not allowing to heat it up though, so it's case-by-case.

san
07-14-2016, 11:00 AM

It depends on what kind of 'broke' we're talking about here. My original ribbons had some slight damage to them, but they still heated up. I can see a damaged cable not allowing to heat it up though, so it's case-by-case.

Thanks for correcting me!
I am not sure how bad the damage is but I cannot move either of them using the switch and it is not a switch issue... But I guess the ribbon cable in mine is snapped cause my mirrors did not heat up this past winter...

slater
07-14-2016, 11:04 AM

i'm like 99% sure they can be coded off, too.

az3579
07-14-2016, 12:26 PM
Thanks for correcting me!

You know now that I think about it, the notification for possibly freezing temps comes on, but I'm having doubts about whether it turns the heating on for the mirrors. Pretty sure it does as I remember having warm mirrors at slightly above freezing temps, but who knows. lol

I am not sure how bad the damage is but I cannot move either of them using the switch and it is not a switch issue... But I guess the ribbon cable in mine is snapped cause my mirrors did not heat up this past winter...

If the driver's cable is damaged, neither side will work. This I know for sure. :)

i'm like 99% sure they can be coded off, too.

But why would you? lol

Sockethead
07-14-2016, 02:26 PM
I think Peter is talking about the 37° warning chime

stephenkirsh
07-14-2016, 08:58 PM
Is this just ZHPs or all 330?

az3579
07-15-2016, 03:55 AM
Is this just ZHPs or all 330?

Are you talking about the ribbon cable damage affecting both mirrors, or the 37 degree mirror heating?
Ribbon cable damaged on the driver's side affecting both mirrors affects all E46's with ribbon cables. Not all of them have ribbons.

37 degrees affects all E46's that have heated mirrors, which I think in the U.S. should be all of them.

danewilson77
07-20-2016, 05:11 PM
How's my diff bushing look?

Slight crack on the right, maybe?

Additionally, many of these seals/bushings/hoses rot from the inside out making visual detection of pending failure impossible.

yea, it's starting to fail. Time to start thinking about replacing it...

S7 Edge, out

Sockethead
07-22-2016, 07:56 AM
Anybody know the part number for the driver's door window regulator? I need one ASAP and I'm onsite so I can't look it up

Vas
07-22-2016, 08:04 AM
Anybody know the part number for the driver's door window regulator? I need one ASAP and I'm onsite so I can't look it up

Front Window Regulator - Left
Part number 51337020659

Cost from various vendors for OE BMW Part

The BMW Mini Parts Store - $119.94
BMW of Fairfax - $122.52
ECS Tuning - $135.70
FCP Euro - $ 134.99

ECS Tuning and FCP Euro have free shipping right now.

Sockethead
07-22-2016, 08:11 AM
Thanks Vas!

TheFinanceGuy
07-22-2016, 08:14 AM
Part number 51337020659

BMW of Fairfax - $122.52
ECS Tuning - $135.70
FCP Euro - $ 134.99

bookmarked for later. I need to do this, but refused to take on the job until I have to.

slater
07-22-2016, 08:18 AM
Part number 51337020659

BMW of Fairfax - $122.52
ECS Tuning - $135.70
FCP Euro - $ 134.99

wowzers. i just replaced one for a friend's 2002 325iT, left front. OEM was too much money for him, so i got a chinese one from a local place for $42 and change, CAD, delivered to my door. it actually was not bad at all and worked fine...

bookmarked for later. I need to do this, but refused to take on the job until I have to.

it wasn't bad. took me an hour start to finish.

BMWCurves
07-23-2016, 01:01 PM
What's the best outdoor car cover for our cars that balances price and "performance?" I see a lot of people say the NOAH BMW one works perfectly well. Any people here know about that cover or have a preference?

das boots
07-23-2016, 08:26 PM
I use NOAH.

BMWCurves
07-24-2016, 06:58 AM
I use NOAH.

Does it do the job?

das boots
07-24-2016, 06:50 PM
Yes.

jwalther
07-25-2016, 02:21 AM
What's the best outdoor car cover for our cars that balances price and "performance?" I see a lot of people say the NOAH BMW one works perfectly well. Any people here know about that cover or have a preference?

I've got an OEM cover I'm not using if you're interested.

danewilson77
07-25-2016, 02:36 AM
Understand the disadvantages of a car cover as well.

S7 Edge, out

das boots
07-25-2016, 05:42 AM

S7 Edge, out

I would rather have a pre-assembled canopy on the driveway instead of a NOAH. Unfortunately, either the neighborhood (nosey neighbors) and/or city ordinances forbid such semi-permanent canopies.

Sockethead
07-25-2016, 05:56 AM

Please tell....

danewilson77
07-25-2016, 06:01 AM
Please tell....
If car is not perfectly clean, due to small movements of the cover, you will impart swirl marks on the finish. This is especially true when use is outside, windy conditions, etc.

That's all.

S7 Edge, out

Sockethead
07-25-2016, 06:09 AM
Ok thanks... good to know. I always tried to wash and wax the 135 before putting it under the cover fro the winter when we lived in Jersey. Good to know I was doing it right.

fw_fw
07-25-2016, 06:18 AM
Like Dane said, covers are only good if the car is clean, the cover is clean, and it will be used indoors. A dirty cover, dirty car, or use outdoors will cause finish issues....

BMWCurves
07-25-2016, 07:30 AM
I've got an OEM cover I'm not using if you're interested.

I might very well be interested! I'll let you know, hopefully by today.

S7 Edge, out

They're understood.

Like Dane said, covers are only good if the car is clean, the cover is clean, and it will be used indoors. A dirty cover, dirty car, or use outdoors will cause finish issues....

I leave in one week for DC for the year, so I'm planning to park my car in one of two places since my parents don't have space for permanent storage. Either a family member's indoor garage in their condo building but that relies on them being able to get their spot back (they gave it away since they don't drive anymore), or a buddy's old shed. The car cover would be for the shed option, but is not strictly necessary since the shed is closed on all sides.

ELCID86
07-27-2016, 04:53 PM
I might very well be interested! I'll let you know, hopefully by today.

They're understood.

I leave in one week for DC for the year, so I'm planning to park my car in one of two places since my parents don't have space for permanent storage. Either a family member's indoor garage in their condo building but that relies on them being able to get their spot back (they gave it away since they don't drive anymore), or a buddy's old shed. The car cover would be for the shed option, but is not strictly necessary since the shed is closed on all sides.

Battery tender?

fw_fw
07-27-2016, 05:45 PM
Battery tender?

That and jack stands to put the car up into the air to save the tires.......also gas treatment!

stephenkirsh
07-30-2016, 10:07 AM
So... Is there something wrong with my wheel bearing? Or did something pee on my wheel?

fw_fw
07-30-2016, 10:26 AM
So... Is there something wrong with my wheel bearing? Or did something pee on my wheel?

I'd put my money on the neighborhood mutt......

Dual
07-30-2016, 10:40 AM
Taste test

stephenkirsh
07-30-2016, 10:55 AM
Ha. I didn't even want to do the smell/touch test :(

fw_fw
08-04-2016, 05:57 PM
Picked up some OSRAM Rallye H7 bulbs for my coupe, and went to put them in tonight. After looking at it for a few seconds it seems that the only way to do it is to uninstall the whole headlight assemblies......or is there another way?

stephenkirsh
08-05-2016, 10:12 AM
Can't just twist out the bulb socket?

fw_fw
08-05-2016, 10:19 AM
Can't just twist out the bulb socket?

Figured it out today by seeing a picture opened....must of had a brainfart last night!

Dual
08-05-2016, 10:25 AM
I'm trying to remember which bulbs are H7's on the coupe. I replaced the DRL's (inner bulbs) just a few weeks ago and had to remove the airbox for driver's side access. It's very tight for all this stuff with the coupes; any photo you reference to help you will have to be specific for your car. The left side bulbs could just barely be installed without doing things to the washer reservoir.

I have so far had no luck in finding an LED or other bright-white replacement for the DRL position: lamps with cooling arrays just won't fit.

fw_fw
08-05-2016, 10:45 AM
I'm trying to remember which bulbs are H7's on the coupe. I replaced the DRL's (inner bulbs) just a few weeks ago and had to remove the airbox for driver's side access. It's very tight for all this stuff with the coupes; any photo you reference to help you will have to be specific for your car. The left side bulbs could just barely be installed without doing things to the washer reservoir.

I have so far had no luck in finding an LED or other bright-white replacement for the DRL position: lamps with cooling arrays just won't fit.

Since I don't have the Xenons both high and low beams are H7s....and no DRLs!

san
08-08-2016, 10:35 AM
I was looking to order a radiator for my 06 coupe (manual) and I noticed that the part number is different for cars produced after 05/2005...

Up to 05/2005 - 17119071518
Post 05/2005 - 17119071517

Does anyone know what's the difference between the two?

MrAdventure
08-12-2016, 06:28 AM
Has anyone ever retrofitted heated seats into the ZHP? Mine does not have the option, so is this an easy thing to do if you acquire heated seats?

Vas
08-12-2016, 06:38 AM
Has anyone ever retrofitted heated seats into the ZHP? Mine does not have the option, so is this an easy thing to do if you acquire heated seats?

You would have to buy the heated seat elements and then this kit
https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Interior/Seats/ES159513/

slater
08-12-2016, 07:13 AM

interesting... i'm assuming most of that cost is for the panel with all of the fancy buttons!

az3579
08-12-2016, 03:26 PM
I'd be really annoyed having two buttons that don't work...

It might be a better bet finding the correct panel on eBay. Not sure if the wiring kit is available separately though...

bosszhp
08-14-2016, 10:41 AM
Has anyone ever seen this before?! The connecter for my driver side turn signal is melted on...

Also, the green wire in my xenon headlight ignitor is cut in half; will soldering it back together work? The headlight is out and obviously that is causing it, already tried swapping bulbs and ballasts (before I saw that cut wire).

terraphantm
08-15-2016, 12:46 PM
I'd be really annoyed having two buttons that don't work...

It might be a better bet finding the correct panel on eBay. Not sure if the wiring kit is available separately though...

Tpms is at least pretty trivial to retrofit if your ZHP came with the right DSC module (and most did). Anyway, shameless plug, but I do have two panels with the heated seat buttons, one with tpms and one without, for sale.

See the attached pdf for the parts included in the kit. You could probably order all that stuff individually minus the center console buttons

san
08-16-2016, 05:18 PM
How often should the k&n filter in gruppe m intake be cleaned/oiled?

az3579
08-16-2016, 05:25 PM
How often should the k&n filter in gruppe m intake be cleaned/oiled?

Dunno. I'd say 30k is a fair cleaning schedule. I think that's the factory paper filter replacement interval as well...

Vas
08-16-2016, 06:01 PM
Man I'm ocd then. Air Filters every 15k oil change at half of that

san
08-16-2016, 06:07 PM
Dunno. I'd say 30k is a fair cleaning schedule. I think that's the factory paper filter replacement interval as well...

Thanks BP!

johnrando
08-16-2016, 09:03 PM
I thought those were not oil ones

az3579
08-17-2016, 03:21 AM
I thought those were not oil ones

The K&N filters that GruppeM's use are oiled filters.

san
08-24-2016, 07:13 PM
Question about radiator DIY -

Is there a washer where the expansion tank plate goes into the radiator? I highlighted the part in blue... When I removed the plate from the old radiator it seemed like there is no washer but there seems like there is a groove for it...

BMWCurves
08-24-2016, 08:01 PM
I don't recall there being one. It just sort of sits in the hole in the plastic part of the radiator.

san
08-25-2016, 04:58 AM
I don't recall there being one. It just sort of sits in the hole in the plastic part of the radiator.

Thanks William! That's what I thought too but just wanted to make sure...

holyc0w
08-26-2016, 10:59 AM
I need a front caliper spring. What's a good place to buy one?

MrAdventure
08-26-2016, 11:27 AM
I need a front caliper spring. What's a good place to buy one?

These guys... (sorry, it's Friday)

GotZHP
08-27-2016, 07:37 PM
Will Headlights from a 330xi fit our ZHPs? I want to say yes but double checking

Also, there is no difference between the headlights that have the washers and ones that don't right? That is just a change in the trim piece and an additional option, correct?

egiles14
08-27-2016, 07:39 PM
Will Headlights from a 330xi fit our ZHPs? I want to say yes but double checking

Also, there is no difference between the headlights that have the washers and ones that don't right? That is just a change in the trim piece and an additional option, correct?
Correct on both questions.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

GotZHP
08-27-2016, 07:55 PM
Correct on both questions.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Ok good. Just paid $540 for new used headlights and didnt realize it right away. The seller is including the trim pieces & wash nozzles with the purchase. If the paint matches I am thinking DIY upgrade as my ZHP does not have that option

thanks for the quick reply egiles!

fw_fw
08-28-2016, 04:02 AM
Ok good. Just paid $540 for new used headlights and didnt realize it right away. The seller is including the trim pieces & wash nozzles with the purchase. If the paint matches I am thinking DIY upgrade as my ZHP does not have that option

thanks for the quick reply egiles!

Unless you live in a heavy snow and winter weather climate I would avoid the wash nozzles. My 530i came with them, and every 5th use of the windshield washer it automatically activates the headlamp washer, spraying not just the headlamps but getting all over the hood and bumper. Pulled the fuse to deactivate the headlamp portion, and if I ever have to replace the front bumper for what ever reason I will pull the rest of the system. If they had a separate stand-alone activation system from the windshield it would be a much better system IMO....

Sockethead
08-28-2016, 07:07 AM
I find the washers to be highly annoying as well I just busted on of the hose ends off the headlight unit while doing some work up there. so I eliminated them.

GotZHP
08-28-2016, 02:48 PM
Unless you live in a heavy snow and winter weather climate I would avoid the wash nozzles. My 530i came with them, and every 5th use of the windshield washer it automatically activates the headlamp washer, spraying not just the headlamps but getting all over the hood and bumper. Pulled the fuse to deactivate the headlamp portion, and if I ever have to replace the front bumper for what ever reason I will pull the rest of the system. If they had a separate stand-alone activation system from the windshield it would be a much better system IMO....

Socal so no worries:biggrin

GotZHP
08-28-2016, 03:01 PM
I find the washers to be highly annoying as well I just busted on of the hose ends off the headlight unit while doing some work up there. so I eliminated them.

Bummer. I end up hitting lots of bugs in my travels and was thinking it could be a cool feature to add to the car, but maybe I wont bother

az3579
08-28-2016, 03:03 PM
Bummer. I end up hitting lots of bugs in my travels and was thinking it could be a cool feature to add to the car, but maybe I wont bother
They don't really do anything other than make a hot mess of the front of your car. I'm all for options but this is the only one I wish I didn't have. It makes removing the headlights a slight PITA, and I do that somewhat often.

(Ok maybe the moonroof as well but I don't mind it, just want the headroom)

GotZHP
08-28-2016, 03:09 PM
Ill probs just sell them to make some money back. Color is the blue gray anyways

GotZHP
08-29-2016, 08:09 PM
Do I really need to remove the dipstick and engine mount to do the oil pan gasket????

This is going to be a huge PITA, right?

Sockethead
08-30-2016, 02:01 PM
Yes you have to. the engine mounts are connected to the cross member. It's going to be pretty hard to drop the cross member without unbolting the engine mounts. Make sure you get a new o-ring for the dipstick tube. You'll be thinking it's a huge PITA when you're taking it a part. When you put it all back together, you'll be thinking that wasn't too bad...

GotZHP
09-01-2016, 07:29 PM
Will grills from a coupe fit a sedan? or are they different?

BMWCurves
09-01-2016, 08:21 PM
I'm pretty sure they're different.

san
09-02-2016, 02:39 AM
Will grills from a coupe fit a sedan? or are they different?

Will not fit

GotZHP
09-02-2016, 11:11 AM
Thanks guys, thats what I thought as the hood was different. A guy local to me was selling some black grills but from a coupe. Ended up buying some cheaper ones off of Ebay for $40.

Matte black with ///M colors:like

Dual
09-06-2016, 06:54 AM
I'm curious about an iridescent rainbow effect that is appearing on the black 'high-gloss satin trim' at the base of my windows. I can rub the trim hard to lessen its visibility but I'm wondering what causes it and if things are going to get worse with time.

az3579
09-06-2016, 07:22 AM
I'm curious about an iridescent rainbow effect that is appearing on the black 'high-gloss satin trim' at the base of my windows. I can rub the trim hard to lessen its visibility but I'm wondering what causes it and if things are going to get worse with time.

Mine did the same thing. It detailed out just fine. Try a polish...

Dual
09-06-2016, 07:31 AM
I don't even need polish to reduce the iridescence: rubbing with a microfiber cloth works. I'm just wondering what causes it and if it will get worse over time.

fw_fw
09-06-2016, 10:13 AM
I don't even need polish to reduce the iridescence: rubbing with a microfiber cloth works. I'm just wondering what causes it and if it will get worse over time.

Automatic car wash chemicals have been talked about on other forums having a negative impact on the shadowline trim..

Dual
09-06-2016, 10:46 AM
Thanks!

RUS_ZHP
09-09-2016, 05:42 AM
Did anybody knows if there is any difference between M3 and Z4 RTAB? According to ECS both should fit e46, while FCF saying that they only will fit e36/e46 M3 as well as Z4. I used p/n 33326770817 in my search.
Thanks in advance.

NoVAphotog
09-09-2016, 06:12 AM
Did anybody knows if there is any difference between M3 and Z4 RTAB? According to ECS both should fit e46, while FCF saying that they only will fit e36/e46 M3 as well as Z4. I used p/n 33326770817 in my search.
Thanks in advance.

AFAIK the M3's are similar in materials used such that they will last longer BUT do not have the caster change. The z4 ones may be a better design strength wise though which is why most including myself went with them.

Sockethead
09-09-2016, 06:28 AM
He's asking about RTAB not LCAB?

They will fit your car. That's what I put in my RTA

RUS_ZHP
09-09-2016, 06:35 AM
Thanks for responding

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Vas
09-09-2016, 07:30 AM
Thanks in advance.

Go with Z4m for the RTAB. They are the new design and are stiffer material compared to the E46 M3 RTAB.

See links below

http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Product-Pictures/Vorshlag-Suspension-Products/i-rp5z4ww/0/L/DSC7102-L.jpg

http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Product-Pictures/Vorshlag-Suspension-Products/i-Fctx3wn/0/L/DSC7295-L.jpg

theothersawyer
09-09-2016, 08:36 AM

It happens, but can be polished out! I used Meguiar's 205, but it may need something a bit stronger in some areas.

Before
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1568/25692889833_e690d773c2_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/F9oM2c)IMG_3370 (https://flic.kr/p/F9oM2c) by Danny Sawyer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/50481382@N04/), on Flickr
After. This was just a quick 30 second test section. Better results could be had if you spent more time on it.
https://c8.staticflickr.com/2/1586/26295612855_ae900041d5_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/G4DTzr)IMG_3372 (https://flic.kr/p/G4DTzr) by Danny Sawyer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/50481382@N04/), on Flickr

RUS_ZHP
09-09-2016, 08:36 AM
Thanks Vas!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Dual
09-09-2016, 08:56 AM
It happens, but can be polished out! I used Meguiar's 205, but it may need something a bit stronger in some areas.

Thanks, Danny. Frank W's post about "shadowline trim" (my car's sticker calls it 'high-gloss satin trim') led to a lot of material. A lot. It seems to be caused by clearcoat sealants in automatic carwashes.
In my personal experience over the past month or so, it can be removed right after washing, with a microfiber cloth and some patient pressure. (It may be that the presence of the wetted sealant helps dissolve the dried product when rubbed.)
Right now I'm texting Rejex polymer wax as a protective layer since I like to use the car wash occasionally and will definitely like it more when the snow starts. Rejex lasts, doesn't stick to rubber and is easy to work with.

Online the discussion generally involved which of many rubbing or cleaning compounds were best, and whether the stuff can hold up to abrasives. I doubt it, and since I'm able to clean things up as described above I'm not getting more aggressive. Yet.

When the cars were new, owners were getting all the trim replaced as a 'dealer courtesy': a process which involved replacing some windows as well. Of course the problem wasn't going to go away that easy...

Links pretty much at random from my travels-

ZHP Black Chrome - How do I clean? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215853)
Cleaning Shadowline trim (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211935)
Shadow Line Window Trim - Restore DIY EASY (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1153749)
Need help with ZHP high gloss trim
(http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227173)Shadowline trim - what's it made of? which product to detail?

(http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502155)This is a product supposedly designed to fix the problem once and for all, but I have my doubts:
Black Oxidized Aluminum Kit
(http://classictrimcoat.com/black-oxidized-aluminum-kit.html)

holyc0w
09-09-2016, 02:28 PM
How does one know if it's time to do a pulley/belt and/or tensioner refresh? My car has around 106,000 miles now. Looking through the receipts, the serpentine belt was replaced 20,000 miles ago.

I took a brief peek under the hood. It seems to be running alright?
https://youtu.be/KNtHCt_homg

Sockethead
09-09-2016, 03:21 PM
Take the belts off. Turn them inside out and squeeze like this:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160909/a8cf474b7103bd3b20a4cd84b480e466.jpg

If you see any cracks in the ribs. It needs to be replaced

While the belts are off, spin the tensioner and idler pulleys. They should spin relatively easy with no noise or roughness. If they need to be replaced you can replace just the pulleys. No need to replace the tensioners too

Here's a video of a bad pully in my car. You can see it wobble a bit.

https://vimeo.com/182169054

holyc0w
09-10-2016, 06:38 AM
While the belts are off, spin the tensioner and idler pulleys. They should spin relatively easy with no noise or roughness. If they need to be replaced you can replace just the pulleys. No need to replace the tensioners too

Here's a video of a bad pulley in my car. You can see it wobble a bit.

Yeah, I saw that video. I don't think I saw anything like that, though I might need a closer look.

Is it just the tensioner and idler pulleys that are up for replacement? I was also thinking of getting the underdrive kit (w/o alternator). Unfortunately, I'm not too "mechanically skilled". Maybe I'll check the reunion thread to see if someone could lend some heavy assistance.

Sockethead
09-10-2016, 07:59 AM
Under drive pulleys are pretty easy especially if you car is a manual. They can be swapped out in under an hour

holyc0w
09-10-2016, 08:47 AM
I read likewise, but I don't trust myself to do it alone.

GotZHP
09-11-2016, 12:38 PM
I read likewise, but I don't trust myself to do it alone.

Pulleys are super easy. I have replaced all of mine over the course of a few months. If your car is a manual, you got this! Pull the fan shroud out by removing a pop rivet and a T25 (maybe T27) screw. Unplug and pull. Go slow when wrench so you don't slip the wrench and hit the radiator. With the fan out, you will have good enough room to do the work. PM me if you have any questions too, I have an almost completed DIY (work in progress) for replacing pulleys.

My tensioner pulley was the first to go, then idler. replaced water pump pulley when i did the water pump. Just bought a new alternator with pulley, and replaced the power steering pulley just last week.

Dual
09-11-2016, 02:08 PM
What a great series of posts. Thanks to all here.

GotZHP
09-11-2016, 02:51 PM

Thats what we are here for! Thanks to the forum I was able to keep my ZHP from being totaled out by my insurance company. Rebuilt the entire front end, all new cooling system, oil pan gasket, new ignition system. Almost 5k in new parts on the car and it runs great.

Did I mention I am not a mechanic by trade or education :)

holyc0w
09-11-2016, 08:08 PM

+1

I bought the Rogue Engineering underdrive kit, and will buy the idler and tensioner pulleys soon. I think that should cover it and then I can check out the AC and alternator pulleys while I'm in there?

A detailed guide will be nice. This should make maintenance day at the reunion interesting.

holyc0w
09-17-2016, 12:34 PM
Is this how the underside of the glovebox should align? 27203

MrAdventure
09-18-2016, 05:24 PM
I need to replace at least one front strut, and I'm considering doing the springs too, but I want to ask - are the stock springs in our cars a constant or progressive rate? I had the Touring Cup Kit suspension package installed in my 328Ci, which had PR springs, and it was good, but not great.

Meanwhile, I was thinking of going with the H&R Sport Cup kit Turner Motorsport sells,

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3640-e46-323i325i328i330ici-with-sport-hr-sport-cup-kit-suspension-package/

but they also sell an H&R/Bilstein setup

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-338749-e46-323325328330ici-hrbilstein-sport-suspension-package/?pdk=Ag

Does anyone have any experience with either?

san
09-19-2016, 09:35 AM
Crossed 130k yesterday, is it a good time to replace the fuel pump?

stephenkirsh
09-19-2016, 09:56 AM
Fuel pumps can die from 60k to 175k, so it's mostly dumb luck.

If you want peace of mind, go for it.

johnrando
09-19-2016, 10:25 AM
I need to replace at least one front strut, and I'm considering doing the springs too, but I want to ask - are the stock springs in our cars a constant or progressive rate? I had the Touring Cup Kit suspension package installed in my 328Ci, which had PR springs, and it was good, but not great.

Meanwhile, I was thinking of going with the H&R Sport Cup kit Turner Motorsport sells,

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3640-e46-323i325i328i330ici-with-sport-hr-sport-cup-kit-suspension-package/

but they also sell an H&R/Bilstein setup

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-338749-e46-323325328330ici-hrbilstein-sport-suspension-package/?pdk=Ag

Does anyone have any experience with either?

I was told that the H&R kit actually uses Bilstein shocks. I have the Touring Cup Kit.

johnrando
09-19-2016, 10:28 AM
Air Intake question as it relates to CA SMOG:
1) Are the BMW Perf Intakes technically SMOG legal or do they just pass because they look the part?
2) Are the Gruppe M intakes technically SMOG legal?
3) I got a renewal notice with a "randomly selected" (older vehicles, etc.) appearance at a Star SMOG station, which is a more in-depth inspection than standard SMOG. I was thinking that I should swap out an intake before if necessary, but I can't seem to find the right information as to what that inspection entails.

az3579
09-19-2016, 10:33 AM
I was told that the H&R kit actually uses Bilstein shocks. I have the Touring Cup Kit.

My H&R kit used H&R shocks.

CarbonZHP
09-19-2016, 04:44 PM
1) Are the BMW Perf Intakes technically SMOG legal or do they just pass because they look the part?
3) I got a renewal notice with a "randomly selected" (older vehicles, etc.) appearance at a Star SMOG station, which is a more in-depth inspection than standard SMOG. I was thinking that I should swap out an intake before if necessary, but I can't seem to find the right information as to what that inspection entails.

The intake will only be legal if you have a CARB sticker. They referenced my sticker for my KN very thoroughly. I also got through with my extensive coding from manual swap, some kind of EVAP code, and burying my catch can under the intake

GotZHP
09-19-2016, 07:59 PM

You will need a CARB sticker to get a part to pass. The BMW performance intake would probably fly under the radar because its OE looking & says BMW on it.

To me, swapping an intake out is less of a headache then having to go back to the facility retest. That's how I look at it. I can take my intake out and back in in under 10 minutes.

ELCID86
09-20-2016, 05:52 AM
Crossed 130k yesterday, is it a good time to replace the fuel pump?

Yes. Or keep a spare in your trunk... ;-)

johnrando
09-20-2016, 05:56 AM
Yup, figured I'd probably have to change out the intake. Thanks.

az3579
09-20-2016, 09:41 AM
Yes. Or keep a spare in your trunk... ;-)

That's what I did. I ran that thing till it died. Swapped it out at a rest stop right after it gave up the ghost. :)

Vas
09-20-2016, 10:16 AM
Order fuel pump and replace now or have it in the trunk.

san
09-20-2016, 12:09 PM
I will order the fuel pump and have it in the trunk, thanks for feedback fellas :thumbsup

Vas
09-20-2016, 12:14 PM
www.bmaparts.com seems to have the best pricing on the fuel pump. BMA online discount code is SpecE30

ELCID86
09-20-2016, 04:55 PM
I will order the fuel pump and have it in the trunk, thanks for feedback fellas :thumbsup

And a rubber mallet, screwdriver and. We gasket...

Dual
09-21-2016, 02:00 PM
My OEM center caps have 'drifted': apparently slipped over time so they are no longer aligned with the wheel's "M" logo. Normal?

stephenkirsh
09-21-2016, 04:04 PM
Wasn't aware they ever did...

holyc0w
09-21-2016, 05:34 PM
Yeah, I figured there would probably be some play in the caps so they wouldn't stay in position. I haven't really checked.

How far out should the headlights reach? I think I'm getting somewhere between 2-4 car lengths. At times it seems a bit too short.

az3579
09-21-2016, 05:36 PM
Yeah, I figured there would probably be some play in the caps so they wouldn't stay in position. I haven't really checked.

How far out should the headlights reach? I think I'm getting somewhere between 2-4 car lengths. At times it seems a bit too short.

That is too short. Check out this guide on adjusting your headlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Keq2c1sLNoQ

holyc0w
09-21-2016, 05:55 PM
I took a few pictures to check. It seems better than I thought, but still short?

az3579
09-21-2016, 06:07 PM
That first pic is way too short. The other two are better but still not far enough...

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

holyc0w
09-21-2016, 06:26 PM
That was just the phone camera playing tricks. They cut off at the rear of that car.

az3579
09-22-2016, 07:18 AM
That was just the phone camera playing tricks. They cut off at the rear of that car.

Odd that the difference looked so big to me. Either way - I'd feel unsafe with that alignment.

At that distance, my lights would be reaching somewhere around the top of the rear bumper of that Ford Escape, if memory serves.

rguti153
09-22-2016, 09:19 AM
Odd that the difference looked so big to me. Either way - I'd feel unsafe with that alignment.

At that distance, my lights would be reaching somewhere around the top of the rear bumper of that Ford Escape, if memory serves.
I agree they need to be higher , by the bumper

Sockethead
09-22-2016, 10:26 AM
I want to replace my sparkplugs before my next dyno run.. hopefully tomorrow. I need to go to AutoZone or something, what plugs do I need?
I don't have time to look...at work. I'm running BMW/NGK R5 right now

BMWCurves
09-22-2016, 10:48 AM
I want to replace my sparkplugs before my next dyno run.. hopefully tomorrow. I need to go to AutoZone or something, what plugs do I need?

These are the ones I have: NGK BKR6EQUP

slater
09-22-2016, 10:51 AM

i like the NGK BKR6E... they are the copper v-power plugs. they don't last as long but they perform better than platinum (copper is a better conductor). i get about 20K miles out of a set - not bad for $3/each.

san
09-22-2016, 10:58 AM
i like the NGK BKR6E... they are the copper v-power plugs. they don't last as long but they perform better than platinum (copper is a better conductor). i get about 20K miles out of a set - not bad for $3/each.

How do you know when it's time to change spark plugs?

az3579
09-22-2016, 11:46 AM

20k??? You should be getting at a minimum 60k out of a set of plugs...
Mine were replaced well past 100k and they were still good. I don't hear of plugs going bad that soon on BMWs.

Sockethead
09-22-2016, 01:17 PM
Non platinum plugs last 20k-30k

Vas
09-22-2016, 01:46 PM
Copper plugs do not last that long. But they are generic enough to be picked up at a auto parts store.

Go with NGK 1 step colder

az3579
09-22-2016, 02:22 PM
Non platinum plugs last 20k-30k

Copper plugs do not last that long. But they are generic enough to be picked up at a auto parts store.

Go with NGK 1 step colder

Our cars call for either of the following, according to RealOEM:
* NGK BKR6EQUP
* Bosch FGR7DQP

Both of these are platinum plugs...
I looked up BK6RE thinking he just forgot to write in the rest of the model and found out about the copper plugs (didn't know they made those). Not sure why anyone would want to use plugs that only last 20k though... it's not like there's going to be a big performance difference. The BK6REQUP are so cheap (I bought them for $6 a piece at Auto Zone I think), totally worth having the ones that last longer.

Learned something either way - didn't know copper plugs existed.

Sockethead
09-22-2016, 03:43 PM
I got the NGKs thanks!

Vas
09-22-2016, 04:31 PM
1 step colder are a good idea for boosted cars.

danewilson77
09-22-2016, 05:30 PM
These are the ones I have: NGK BKR6EQUP

Mine were replaced well past 100k and they were still good. I don't hear of plugs going bad that soon on BMWs.

This

S7 Edge, out

Sockethead
09-22-2016, 05:33 PM
1 step colder are a good idea for boosted cars.

I already bought the NGKs I'll definitely consider next time!

holyc0w
09-22-2016, 05:59 PM
I adjusted the headlights. It wasn't exactly scientific, but it should do for now.

Sockethead
09-22-2016, 07:32 PM
I adjusted the headlights. It wasn't exactly scientific, but it should do for now.

I think Trevor has a DIY around somewhere...

holyc0w
09-22-2016, 08:15 PM
There was an issue with the theoretical perfectly level road.

trancenation
09-23-2016, 10:51 AM
You can find the NGK BKR6EQUP (AKA: 3199) on Amazon for a little less than $3 a piece when you buy them in packs of 4 directly from amazon. Enjoy them in two days with prime!
https://www.amazon.com/NGK-3199-Spark-Plug-Pack/dp/B0019HWJBQ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

slater
09-23-2016, 12:37 PM

no, a copper plug will generally give it's best performance for about 20K miles. then they taper off. that said, they do conduct better and for how easy it is to replace them, i'm happy to do that.

platinums will last 80-100K miles.

I looked up BK6RE thinking he just forgot to write in the rest of the model and found out about the copper plugs (didn't know they made those). Not sure why anyone would want to use plugs that only last 20k though... it's not like there's going to be a big performance difference. The BK6REQUP are so cheap (I bought them for $6 a piece at Auto Zone I think), totally worth having the ones that last longer.

Learned something either way - didn't know copper plugs existed.

copper's have been around way longer than platinum. ;)

if you read up on the differences between copper and platinum, you'll see that there is a conductivity difference. OEMs use platinum because they last longer, likely through the warranty interval.

I got the NGKs thanks!

which ones did you get? you need all the spark you can get with the SC, so i hope you got the coppers!

You can find the NGK BKR6EQUP (AKA: 3199) on Amazon for a little less than $3 a piece when you buy them in packs of 4 directly from amazon. Enjoy them in two days with prime!
https://www.amazon.com/NGK-3199-Spark-Plug-Pack/dp/B0019HWJBQ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

wow, that's the cheapest i've seen those. dang.

stephenkirsh
09-26-2016, 03:03 PM

Generally done as preventive maintenance every 80-100k.

If you're getting misfires, that's a common sign of bad plug.

Sockethead
09-26-2016, 03:43 PM
copper's have been around way longer than platinum. ;)

Yep That's all that was around when I was growing up. I remember when the Platinums came out. We thought it was so cool that there was a spark plug that would last 100k... back then we were crazy kids driving everywhere so it seemed like we were changing plugs all the time.

which ones did you get? you need all the spark you can get with the SC, so i hope you got the coppers!

I'm not making that much HP so I don't think it would really make a difference. I think I would invest in a new set of coils first...

Dual
10-02-2016, 01:12 PM
Do our cars have any airconditioning sent to the trunk? I've been surprised at how moderate the temps stayed back there this summer.

BMWCurves
10-02-2016, 05:14 PM
Anyone know why the non-M3 (i.e. chrome) front strut brace has gone up in price? It used to be about $260 and now it's $390 or more at most online retailers.

Do our cars have any airconditioning sent to the trunk? I've been surprised at how moderate the temps stayed back there this summer.

I don't think there's any HVAC ducting that goes beyond the front dashboard in our cars.

az3579
10-02-2016, 07:27 PM
No. The ducting goes as far back as the rear seats (under the front seats), but it's pretty weak back there. Nothing goes into the trunk.

Sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk

stephenkirsh
10-03-2016, 04:10 PM
No. The ducting goes as far back as the rear seats (under the front seats), but it's pretty weak back there. Nothing goes into the trunk.

Sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk

Huh? Where does it come out in the rear?!

terraphantm
10-03-2016, 04:24 PM
Huh? Where does it come out in the rear?!

Foot vents for the back.

ELCID86
10-03-2016, 04:39 PM
Foot vents for the back.

Where? Under seats? I don't recall seeing them when I had the seats out.

Dual
10-03-2016, 05:20 PM
They're there. I have lost my cellphone in there temporarily.

ELCID86
10-05-2016, 05:50 PM
They're there. I have lost my cellphone in there temporarily.

I guess you're right. And here's a mod for that!
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161006/3f39df04b0e73e03339fca9977858720.jpg

Sent from my iPhone with TaT.

Dual
10-05-2016, 09:01 PM
I have a couple rolls of a sticky black putty used for window installation work. I think it may be 3M window-weld.
I put some on the end of a piece of corrugated board and used it to grab and pull the phone out of the slot.

BMWCurves
10-06-2016, 05:30 AM
I assume damaged rubber around the lip of a GruppeM intake can be repaired/replaced with something from Home Depot, but not sure what it would be called. Anyone have any ideas of what I could use?

stephenkirsh
10-06-2016, 01:39 PM
I guess you're right. And here's a mod for that!
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161006/3f39df04b0e73e03339fca9977858720.jpg

Sent from my iPhone with TaT.

Wow! I'll have to go find these now. I wonder what's the point since they don't do much and aren't controllable.

Dual
10-10-2016, 06:56 AM
I would guess that about every twelfth standing start, I can't get my MT into first. Second try always works.
Is this something anyone here has experience with?

das boots
10-10-2016, 07:04 AM
I would guess that about every twelfth standing start, I can't get my MT into first. Second try always works.
Is this something anyone here has experience with?

When was the last time you change fluids?

Dual
10-10-2016, 08:41 AM
When was the last time you change fluids?

Good question! I can find no indication of clutch fluid change ever in the 46,000 life of the car.

Sockethead
10-10-2016, 09:08 AM
Mine does that a lot. Very annoying at times.
I changed the transmission fluid at around 80k but it's due again. Also the engagement point of the self adjusting clutch can change over time or from day to day. That can throw you off.
I usually let out the clutch slowly while pushing it in first and it usually drops in. Or putting it in another gear then trying first again works too

BMWCurves
10-10-2016, 10:15 AM
Good question! I can find no indication of clutch fluid change ever in the 46,000 life of the car.

Just FYI, the clutch fluid in our cars is the same as brake fluid. The brake lines and clutch line all use the same fluid, lines, and reservoir.

But agreed with Lawrence, might want to change out your transmission fluid. I did mine around 49k miles, along with the diff fluid. Cheap insurance to keep your car running well.

I sometimes have difficulty engaging 1st gear, especially when the car is cold. Changing fluid helped a bit. Some people had luck with a similar issue by replacing the engine and transmission mounts.

fw_fw
10-10-2016, 10:22 AM
I had the transmission fluid changed in my car about a month ago, 77K miles. The before/after difference is jawdropping!!!! Car shifts so well now........

das boots
10-10-2016, 06:25 PM
Anybody know how this Disconnect Tool works? I will be doing a Power Steering Flush and will also replace some hoses. Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/CTA-3466-Steering-Transmission-Disconnect/dp/B009VI9P62/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436723876&sr=8-1&keywords=cta+3466

Sockethead
10-10-2016, 06:45 PM
That's the same one I used... I don't know how to describe how to use it but here's a pic:

http://weaponsgradecode.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/bmw-pn-5346.jpg

das boots
10-10-2016, 07:21 PM
YouTube????

WOLFN8TR
10-10-2016, 07:34 PM
Basically how it works is when you push it down on the fitting it pushes the plastic clip inward so you can pull the line off.

Sockethead
10-10-2016, 08:07 PM
yep that's it... it's like magic.... it's nearly impossible to get the hose off without it

jakksfor20
10-11-2016, 03:14 AM
yep that's it... it's like magic.... it's nearly impossible to get the hose off without it

Buy the tool and save yourself a little heartache. I did both my cars without it. I used a pair of vice-grips and a pair of pliers to accomplish the same thing. One car I was able to do both fittings in about 30 seconds. The other one seemed to take me about 20 minutes. Lots of cursing involved.

holyc0w
10-12-2016, 05:04 PM
How much would it cost on the low-end to get headers and cats installed (parts + labor)?

GotZHP
10-12-2016, 07:37 PM
How much would it cost on the low-end to get headers and cats installed (parts + labor)?

New or used headers? You can get headers off ebay for pretty cheap.

holyc0w
10-12-2016, 08:03 PM
Yeah, something like the ebay headers would work. Though looking into it, I'm not sure the emissions complications are worth it. I want a few more decibels from the exhaust. A bit more performance would be nice, but I might just stick with the exhaust side.

san
10-13-2016, 03:39 AM
Is this true?

az3579
10-13-2016, 03:41 AM
Is this true?

Yes, but the adaptation stage is very very quick. I can reset mine and it'll be back to how it was within 15 minutes.
I wish there was a way to just keep the "reset" values - I really ​like those values.

san
10-13-2016, 04:09 AM
Yes, but the adaptation stage is very very quick. I can reset mine and it'll be back to how it was within 15 minutes.
I wish there was a way to just keep the "reset" values - I really ​like those values.

Did not know that, thanks BP!

san
10-13-2016, 06:41 AM
When replacing the OFHG is it necessary to replace the hex bolts as well? Seems like an overkill to me but the ecstuning kit has the bolts included...

Vas
10-13-2016, 06:47 AM
When replacing the OFHG is it necessary to replace the hex bolts as well? Seems like an overkill to me but the ecstuning kit has the bolts included...

No. But remember each location of the bolts since they are different

san
10-13-2016, 06:47 AM
No. But remember each location of the bolts since they are different

Thanks Vas!

NoVAphotog
10-13-2016, 07:45 AM

No. And easiest way to do that is just get a piece of cardboard out and draw a little diagram and stuff them into it in the respective order.

JAIm255
10-13-2016, 10:09 AM
Hello all! New poster here so forgive me if this is not the correct place for this question. I did figure though that this is the kind of random question this thread was made for. So I bought my ZHP recently, a 2006 330ci, and in fact just registered it yesterday. The car runs and drives beautifully. However, there is one small thing that does in fact bug me, as I'm sure it would bug some of you as well, if you're half as anal as I am. Anyway, when looking at the front of my car, I noticed that on one side of the grill, it is flush to the light fixture/trim while the other side seems to be a little askew and further in front of said trim. I thought maybe this could be fixed by adjusting the hood but I thought to come here and ask before I go messing about. Here are a few pics... Any help would be much appreciated! 2762427625
If these pictures don't do it justice just let me know. Thank you again!

san
10-13-2016, 10:18 AM
Hello all! New poster here so forgive me if this is not the correct place for this question. I did figure though that this is the kind of random question this thread was made for. So I bought my ZHP recently, a 2006 330ci, and in fact just registered it yesterday. The car runs and drives beautifully. However, there is one small thing that does in fact bug me, as I'm sure it would bug some of you as well, if you're half as anal as I am. Anyway, when looking at the front of my car, I noticed that on one side of the grill, it is flush to the light fixture/trim while the other side seems to be a little askew and further in front of said trim. I thought maybe this could be fixed by adjusting the hood but I thought to come here and ask before I go messing about. Here are a few pics... Any help would be much appreciated! 2762427625
If these pictures don't do it justice just let me know. Thank you again!

Welcome! Has the vehicle been involved in any sort of accident?

san
10-13-2016, 10:32 AM
No. And easiest way to do that is just get a piece of cardboard out and draw a little diagram and stuff them into it in the respective order.

Thanks Dan!

JAIm255
10-13-2016, 10:50 AM
Welcome! Has the vehicle been involved in any sort of accident?

According to the previous owner a small frontal one, but he replaced the bumper and hood with oem parts... Which is why I was hoping it was just misaligned. I also checked the area behind it and behind the light to see if there was any damage on the inside that would not be seen from the outside, and everything seems to be alright I.e. No damage, or at least to my untrained eye.

das boots
10-13-2016, 06:04 PM
Welcome. Enjoy your stay.

As for the grills. I also recently replaced my grills to the Gloss Black. This is just me. I am not too into the black grills. They do not really seat that well. There are gaps. And they are lose. Maybe I just might decide to remove them and put back the chrome grills. And sell the black grills.

Hopefully my response helps.....the grills are not perfectly fit and seated.

JAIm255
10-14-2016, 03:15 AM

As for the grills. I also recently replaced my grills to the Gloss Black. This is just me. I am not too into the black grills. They do not really seat that well. There are gaps. And they are lose. Maybe I just might decide to remove them and put back the chrome grills. And sell the black grills.

Ah so you're saying the grills could be sitting incorrectly causing it to askew to one side? Thanks so much for your help. I know it's rather silly, and a small imperfection, but I love this car... I so badly want it to be perfectly aligned, hah.

az3579
10-14-2016, 03:52 AM

OE BMW Performance ones fit perfectly, no looseness. If you have an aftermarket set, that's probably why they're loose.

san
10-14-2016, 04:01 AM
Ah so you're saying the grills could be sitting incorrectly causing it to askew to one side? Thanks so much for your help. I know it's rather silly, and a small imperfection, but I love this car... I so badly want it to be perfectly aligned, hah.

Wait I'm confused now, I thought the hood was misaligned and not the grills?

If I understood your issue correctly, you are saying the "gap" between the headlight and the hood (grill side) is not the same on both sides and that is what I noticed as well in the pictures... if this is your issue and since you mentioned the car was in an accident as well it is not possible (for me at least) to say what could be causing it without at least looking at it in person...

das boots
10-14-2016, 05:21 AM
OE BMW Performance ones fit perfectly, no looseness. If you have an aftermarket set, that's probably why they're loose.

Yup. The aftermarkets are a piece of crap.

theothersawyer
10-14-2016, 05:49 AM
My black grilles from ECS fit perfectly!

WOLFN8TR
10-14-2016, 05:53 AM
My black grilles from ECS fit perfectly!

X2...[emoji106]

JAIm255
10-14-2016, 06:21 AM
Wait I'm confused now, I thought the hood was misaligned and not the grills?

If I understood your issue correctly, you are saying the "gap" between the headlight and the hood (grill side) is not the same on both sides and that is what I noticed as well in the pictures... if this is your issue and since you mentioned the car was in an accident as well it is not possible (for me at least) to say what could be causing it without at least looking at it in person...

Yes that is exactly what I'm trying to figure out. More detailed photos wouldn't help? Would love to see if someone knows what the issue is. The accident was in wasn't even enough to deploy the airbag so I'm really hoping it's not damage like that. The previous owner was a BMW tech, so he put the hood on himself. I was hoping he just got lazy as he was trying to align it and said "f It" when he got it to latch into position successfully. The misalignment just bugs me. Please let me know if there's any pictures I can post that could help you help me. :) thank you for response!

BMWCurves
10-14-2016, 06:39 AM
Is the hood aligned correctly down the sides i.e. are the gaps between the hood and the fenders equal?

JAIm255
10-14-2016, 06:57 AM

JAIm255
10-14-2016, 06:58 AM
Yes. If it is not, it's minuscule I can't see it, in response to if the alignment with the fenders.

GotZHP
10-14-2016, 01:53 PM

i reused mine. just make sure to put them pack the way they came out and don't over torque them.

GotZHP
10-14-2016, 02:02 PM
Yes that is exactly what I'm trying to figure out. More detailed photos wouldn't help? Would love to see if someone knows what the issue is. The accident was in wasn't even enough to deploy the airbag so I'm really hoping it's not damage like that. The previous owner was a BMW tech, so he put the hood on himself. I was hoping he just got lazy as he was trying to align it and said "f It" when he got it to latch into position successfully. The misalignment just bugs me. Please let me know if there's any pictures I can post that could help you help me. :) thank you for response!

Be thankful you even have a hood!

Just kidding, welcome to the Forum. There are a few different ways to adjust how the hood sits. There are also a few spots, that even in a low speed collision, could have been damaged and would prevent the hood from sitting just right. I will go snap some photos for you and can give you further details if you PM me. I was just in an accident with my ZHP and I am just about done rebuilding it.

On the core support, known as the front panel, there should be these black rubber nubs sticking up. You can twist them to raise of lower them. This would be the first check. Let me know if that isn't it and I will take some photos of areas for you to inspect for damaged. Check my build thread too if you want some photos of the front end.

EDIT: About the air bag, I hit a car going somewhere between 20 and 30 mph (There car was still moving some) and my airbags didn't deploy. Thank god as one of them is quiet literally a frag grenade.

WOLFN8TR
10-14-2016, 02:50 PM
Honestly it doesn't look that bad from the pictures and I'm as OCD as they come.

JAIm255
10-14-2016, 04:01 PM
PM sent! Thanks again!

GotZHP
10-14-2016, 04:55 PM
Honestly it doesn't look that bad from the pictures and I'm as OCD as they come.

My OCD for cars has gone right out the window at the moment. Bumper is beat to hell on my car and one of my fenders is a lttle out. O and no hood, sooo.. I will get it much better eventually, which may mean a new bumper too.

I was far too OCD with my BRZ. My new exhasut took 4 hours to install and get hanging just right. That was brand new at the tie in 2014 though. 12 year old car, and I am a little more forgiving, actually a lot!

anandoc
10-15-2016, 09:27 AM
Went to pick up my wife from the airport yesterday and after I turned my car off, the AUX fan kept running. The drive there may have been a little more spirited than usual since I found a few empty roads adjacent to the airport, but nothing too crazy.

I turned the car back on for a few minutes and then turned it off again and the AUX fan was off this time. After I picked her up, I had a few stops to make but the AUX fan was off every time I turned my car off.

Has anybody experienced this weird behavior from their AUX fan? I read many threads on E46F around this issue where they would have to unplug their fan (or the battery) for the fan to turn off. I did not have to do this.

NOTE: I drive an auto so I have a electric AUX fan in front of the radiator and a mechanical clutch fan between the radiator and the engine. I am referring to the electric AUX fan in this case.

sillieidiot
10-15-2016, 04:05 PM
Went to pick up my wife from the airport yesterday and after I turned my car off, the AUX fan kept running. The drive there may have been a little more spirited than usual since I found a few empty roads adjacent to the airport, but nothing too crazy.

I turned the car back on for a few minutes and then turned it off again and the AUX fan was off this time. After I picked her up, I had a few stops to make but the AUX fan was off every time I turned my car off.

Has anybody experienced this weird behavior from their AUX fan? I read many threads on E46F around this issue where they would have to unplug their fan (or the battery) for the fan to turn off. I did not have to do this.

NOTE: I drive an auto so I have a electric AUX fan in front of the radiator and a mechanical clutch fan between the radiator and the engine. I am referring to the electric AUX fan in this case.

Yeah it's normal. When I do that, sometimes my fan stays on for like another 20-30 mins after I shut the car off. I can tell because my angel eyes are tapped to the fan so it just stays on the whole time the fan is on lol It always turns off by itself though. If it's broken, then the fan just stays on all the time. Turning on/off your car wouldn't do anything.

anandoc
10-15-2016, 04:46 PM
Yeah it's normal. When I do that, sometimes my fan stays on for like another 20-30 mins after I shut the car off. I can tell because my angel eyes are tapped to the fan so it just stays on the whole time the fan is on lol It always turns off by itself though. If it's broken, then the fan just stays on all the time. Turning on/off your car wouldn't do anything.

Thanks for this man. My angel eyes stay on for 5-10 mins sometimes after I have turned the car off (they are tapped to a DME wire)....but I have never had my AUX fan running afterwards so I was a bit worried. Thanks.

das boots
10-15-2016, 07:51 PM
Open the hood. It will relieve the heat faster.

az3579
10-17-2016, 02:43 PM
Does anyone know if all E46 stock seat rails are interchangeable? Does it matter if powered/not powered?
I need to know what range of seats to search for so I can swap the rails for the driver's seat.