PDA

View Full Version : The Random E46/ZHP Question Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

fw_fw
04-12-2016, 01:30 PM
Will this oil filler cap fit our ZHP engines?? BMW # 11121405452

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Oil_Cap/ES18098/

Bueller?.....Bueller?.....

az3579
04-12-2016, 01:46 PM
Bueller?.....Bueller?.....
Yes, I have one installed.

Sent from my LG V10 on Tapatalk

fw_fw
04-12-2016, 01:55 PM
Yes, I have one installed.

Thanks!!

ELCID86
04-12-2016, 03:26 PM
Go with 710 ;-)

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160412/5353fe3886fd6dc42ba712634c7d995b.jpg

stephenkirsh
04-12-2016, 03:31 PM
Lawl

danewilson77
04-12-2016, 04:04 PM
Lawl
+1

Sent from an S6 Edge

BMWCurves
04-15-2016, 12:27 PM
I'm contemplating ordering E46 M3 motor and transmission mounts. The part numbers I have are as follows:

Motor mounts: 11812283798 (2x)
Transmission mounts: 22322282340 (2x)

Three questions:
1. Are those the correct part numbers?
2. Do I need any other parts?
3. I assume Lemfoerder an acceptable brand for the motor mounts (save about $40 a mount over BMW)?

ryankokesh
04-15-2016, 12:34 PM
I'm contemplating ordering E46 M3 motor and transmission mounts. The part numbers I have are as follows:

Three questions:
3. I assume Lemfoerder an acceptable brand for the motor mounts (save about $40 a mount over BMW)?

I don't know the answer, but I have the same question.

Vas
04-15-2016, 12:37 PM

Three questions:

You will be fine with these items. Unless you are OCD and want to order new nuts.

ELCID86
04-15-2016, 06:11 PM
Yeah. I'd suggest getting new nuts just in case and b/c you are "in there" anyways.

BCS_ZHP
04-15-2016, 06:18 PM
You will be fine with these items. Unless you are OCD and want to order new nuts.

Come on Vas, who might be OCD on this site?...

Vas
04-15-2016, 06:47 PM
Come on Vas, who might be OCD on this site?...
Ha I'm just a stickler for parts with the bmw roundel

das boots
04-15-2016, 06:53 PM
Someone is selling his Style 197 18 X 8 & 18 X 18.5 ET 34 & 37. What do I need to have these fit a ZHP?

Aeternalis
04-15-2016, 07:39 PM

Three questions:
I ordered these from TMS and got Corteco; they feel wonderful installed and seem to be quality pieces. I'm sure Lemforder will be excellent as well. Good luck! I love mine.

ecrabb
04-17-2016, 07:20 PM
Weird issue... I had the trim plate around the gear shift off to clean before reinstalling Coby shift knob and boot, so I had removed the plugs from the window switches. When I put it all back together, I noticed the switches don't function the same as they did... I think.

At first, both on driver's and passenger's window, the first "up" switch position does nothing, while the second switch position that is usually "express up" is just plain "up".

The weird thing is, while I was messing with it, the driver's window switch started working again, but the passenger switch is still dead in the first position, and just plain up in the second position.

But, now I'm wondering if I'm imagining it, and just don't remember how it worked before.

Thoughts?

Thx!

SC

Sockethead
04-17-2016, 07:37 PM
Not sure about the vert but the sedan, all 4 switches: full up or down=auto, first detent up or down is manual...

BMWCurves
04-17-2016, 09:41 PM
Yup. It should be: first pressure point (like focusing a camera using the shutter button) is manual up/down until the button is released. Second detent (like pressing the shutter button all the way down) is the auto up/down.

MrAdventure
04-18-2016, 10:26 AM
About the trunklid handle, how is the mechanism attached to the trunklid piece itself? It would appear that it's glued together.

I ask because one of the license plate light covers fell off off, and the post for the bulb had corroded. I picked up a used assembly with a different colored handle, and I was planning on swapping the body color handle, BUT I see that it seems glued together. I didn't want to force it apart. Is there an easy way to separate the mechanism from the handle, or would it be simpler for me to go find a whole assembly in the right color (or unpainted) instead?

fredo
04-18-2016, 01:48 PM
I believe Shawn (elcid86) did something like this. Shawn ?

ELCID86
04-18-2016, 02:54 PM
I believe Shawn (elcid86) did something like this. Shawn ?

Yes I did. It may need to be heated a bit. Check my red rehab thread (link in sig). I also found a diy online somewhere.

ecrabb
04-18-2016, 04:32 PM
Not sure about the vert but the sedan, all 4 switches: full up or down=auto, first detent up or down is manual...

Yup. It should be: first pressure point (like focusing a camera using the shutter button) is manual up/down until the button is released. Second detent (like pressing the shutter button all the way down) is the auto up/down.

OK, at least I'm not crazy. That's what I would have expected.

So, the question is, did I literally break the switch when I was cleaning it, or is there a way to not get the plug reinstalled properly? I did notice some major crumbs at the bottom of the switch recesses, which is why I took it out to clean it. I didn't yank or pull hard on the switches, but between the vacuum, windex and q-tips, and all the pulling and pushing, I wonder if I just killed the switch or got debris in it. I guess I'll have to pull it out and put a meter on it and see if I can figure out if the switch just died or what.

Thx,
SC

BMWCurves
04-18-2016, 05:03 PM
Did you check that the wiring harness for each switch is all the way seated?

Dr Dynamite
04-19-2016, 03:17 PM
I was in my trunk grabbing some oil to put on the motor and a gust of wind slammed my hood shut and finished off my already fragile drivers side kidney grille, I'm looking to buy new grilles.

Anyone happy with their aftermarket grilles? I'm looking on ebay and the prices are good but quality and fitment are questionable.... any leads? Thx homies 😎

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

san
04-19-2016, 03:23 PM
I was in my trunk grabbing some oil to put on the motor and a gust of wind slammed my hood shut and finished off my already fragile drivers side kidney grille, I'm looking to buy new grilles.

Anyone happy with their aftermarket grilles? I'm looking on ebay and the prices are good but quality and fitment are questionable.... any leads? Thx homies [emoji41]

I bought eBay ones and the quality is ok but not really great, I think I paid $45 for them...

Many members here bought from ecs tuning and they seem to be happy...

fw_fw
04-19-2016, 04:33 PM

Anyone happy with their aftermarket grilles? I'm looking on ebay and the prices are good but quality and fitment are questionable.... any leads? Thx homies ��

Bought ECS Tuning in gloss black....and sold them again a week later. The OE BMW Performance shadowline black grilles just look and fit better. Tischer (getbmwparts.com) has the best price on them with free shipping.

Sockethead
04-19-2016, 07:02 PM
IDK, all eBay grilles we've gotten over the years have been different levels of junk with the set for the e53 being the worst. I had to hot glue them in place to get them to stay. I went with OEM for the ZHP. If you want good grilles, eBay ain't the place...

Dr Dynamite
04-19-2016, 09:20 PM
IDK, all eBay grilles we've gotten over the years have been different levels of junk with the set for the e53 being the worst. I had to hot glue them in place to get them to stay. I went with OEM for the ZHP. If you want good grilles, eBay ain't the place...
Yeah I'm thinking of getting the grilles somewhere other than eBay..... thx yall. I hope to get them soon, it doesn't feel good rolling with 1 kidney[emoji40] [emoji28]

I bought eBay ones and the quality is ok but not really great, I think I paid $45 for them...

Many members here bought from ecs tuning and they seem to be happy...

Bought ECS Tuning in gloss black....and sold them again a week later. The OE BMW Performance shadowline black grilles just look and fit better. Tischer (getbmwparts.com) has the best price on them with free shipping.

Dual
04-20-2016, 04:34 AM
In case it helps, here's a report on my experience with Bimmian grilles.

In general my transactions with this firm have been troubled- I won't catalog the ways that is so except to say (as a single example): don't expect them to send you any kind of receipt for your purchase.

That aside, my painted grille has been pretty darn satisfactory.

PROS: Paint quality very good. (The black center is unpainted plastic, probably ABS.) The parts are not OEM but are very mechanically stable (i.e. not going to fall out) and I expect them to remain so for a long time. I like having the color choice without having to pay a body shop to modify an OEM grille.

CONS: I don't consider these problematic: others might feel differently. There is a slight issue of fitment in that the curves of the grille are not 100% congruent with the outline of the hood (photo attached). Factory parts have a rubber skirt as part of the rear assembly: this is missing on my replacement part but I can't see any untoward effects. And the Arctic White is perhaps a 99% match to the 10-year-old paint on my car.

Hope this helps

das boots
04-20-2016, 05:14 AM
In case it helps, here's a report on my experience with Bimmian grilles.

In general my transactions with this firm have been troubled- I won't catalog the ways that is so except to say (as a single example): don't expect them to send you any kind of receipt for your purchase.

That aside, my painted grille has been pretty darn satisfactory.

PROS: Paint quality very good. (The black center is unpainted plastic, probably ABS.) The parts are not OEM but are very mechanically stable (i.e. not going to fall out) and I expect them to remain so for a long time. I like having the color choice without having to pay a body shop to modify an OEM grille.

CONS: I don't consider these problematic: others might feel differently. There is a slight issue of fitment in that the curves of the grille are not 100% congruent with the outline of the hood (photo attached). Factory parts have a rubber skirt as part of the rear assembly: this is missing on my replacement part but I can't see any untoward effects. And the Arctic White is perhaps a 99% match to the 10-year-old paint on my car.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the review. Aftermarkets when installed are not flush and are very lose when installed. They feel like they are about to fall off. Holding on to my aftermarkets and when funds free up, I will go back to genuine BMW parts.

Dual
04-20-2016, 05:17 AM
I may not have been clear in my post. My aftermarket grill is flush to the body and fits quite tightly. The only fitment issue is a very small one with "roundness" for lack of a better word, as shown in the photo. I'm not a super-perfectionist but close to it. I am happy with the Bimmian painted grille.

das boots
04-20-2016, 06:44 AM
I may not have been clear in my post. My aftermarket grill is flush to the body and fits quite tightly. The only fitment issue is a very small one with "roundness" for lack of a better word, as shown in the photo. I'm not a super-perfectionist but close to it. I am happy with the Bimmian painted grille.

No worries. I was talking about the 'other' after markets purchased the ECS Tuning or Fleabay. I have not tried Bimmian.

Although I have purchased their Weisslicht LEDs. They are so fantastic on their customer service. I purchased a set of leds white front turn signals from them. I was not able to open the merchandise when I received them thinking they will be perfect. But 3 months later when I was ready to use them, I found out they were the wrong base. So I communicated with them and they gladly replaced them. I still have the wrong bulbs although I will not be using them. Bulbs are not compatible with any in a ZHP.

Vas
04-20-2016, 07:03 AM
Ticher BMW for the BMW Performance Grills.

johnrando
04-20-2016, 08:55 AM
Def tischner

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Ssparrow
04-21-2016, 01:07 PM
Curious, do you guys read the oil level while the engine is hot or cold?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dual
04-21-2016, 01:14 PM
1. Park the vehicle on a level surface
2. Switch the engine off after it has
reached normal operating temperature
3. After approx. 5 minutes, pull the dipstick
out and wipe it off with a clean
lint-free cloth, paper towel, or similar
material
4. Carefully push the dipstick all the
way into the guide tube and pull it
out again
5. The oil level should be between the
two marks on the dipstick.
As with fuel economy, oil consumption
is directly influenced by your driving
style and vehicle operating conditions.

Who knew? That takes a lot of time...

Ssparrow
04-21-2016, 01:30 PM
1. Park the vehicle on a level surface
2. Switch the engine off after it has
reached normal operating temperature
3. After approx. 5 minutes, pull the dipstick
out and wipe it off with a clean
lint-free cloth, paper towel, or similar
material
4. Carefully push the dipstick all the
way into the guide tube and pull it
out again
5. The oil level should be between the
two marks on the dipstick.

Who knew? That takes a lot of time...

Thanks,

I have the yellow oil light pop up every now and then after I turn off the car. Oil level is fine though.

Those of you that have replaced the oil level sensor, did you go bmw, or some other brand?

ELCID86
04-21-2016, 01:34 PM
Nice assist. I usually wait 10+ minutes but it might be "ready" sooner.

[INDENT=3]

I think there are other reasons for this. Some engines eat oil and BMW has released a TSB that using 1 qt within 1000 mi can be normal (correct me if I got the numbers wrong).

hcbeck2689
04-21-2016, 02:17 PM
2 random questions.

1: does anyone have any experience putting an m coupe midpipe on an e36 m3. Someone told me it fits, I just have to cut flanges off and weld up.

2: does $200 shipped for a midpipe, cats included, sound reasonable?

-Holden

BMWCurves
04-21-2016, 06:41 PM
Thanks,

I have the yellow oil light pop up every now and then after I turn off the car. Oil level is fine though.

Those of you that have replaced the oil level sensor, did you go bmw, or some other brand?

I'm going to replace mine on the next oil change. I bought BMW, but BP bought one by Hella and it is the same exact unit as the BMW one, just with the BMW logo chipped off. I would have gone Hella had I known that to save some dough.

hcbeck2689
04-23-2016, 04:01 AM
Anyone have advice on where to get some type of vinyl for covering my wood trim? I was thinking something like brushed aluminum look like on the e46 m3s. Open to other suggestions

-Holden

Sockethead
04-23-2016, 05:37 AM
Anyone have advice on where to get some type of vinyl for covering my wood trim? I was thinking something like brushed aluminum look like on the e46 m3s. Open to other suggestions

We used DINOC in our X5 and 135 . We got it at Bimmian, I think. Shouldn't be that hard in an e46 as the pieces aren't that complicated. If you need any guidance on how to do it, let me know. Also there are a ton of YouTube videos

Here's the X5. it used to be wood trim. The camera skewed the pattern a bit on the steering wheel. The X5 was pretty complicated

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp325/r_powell123/_DSC1649.jpg

this is the 135. I only did the strip on the dash and the door handles. my wife wanted to leave the console black.

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp325/r_powell123/IMG_1240.jpg

hcbeck2689
04-23-2016, 06:38 AM
We used DINOC in our X5 and 135 . We got it at Bimmian, I think. Shouldn't be that hard in an e46 as the pieces aren't that complicated. If you need any guidance on how to do it, let me know. Also there are a ton of YouTube videos

Here's the X5. it used to be wood trim. The camera skewed the pattern a bit on the steering wheel. The X5 was pretty complicated

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp325/r_powell123/_DSC1649.jpg

this is the 135. I only did the strip on the dash and the door handles. my wife wanted to leave the console black.

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp325/r_powell123/IMG_1240.jpg

That looks good. I'm doing an e36 so actually way easier than an e46. All I have is one dash section, 2 door handles, and 1 console section.
Ill Cheek out bimmian. So far I was looking at this brushed aluminum http://carwrapsupplier.com/product-category/brushed-aluminum/

Vas
04-23-2016, 06:43 AM
Ecstuning started to carry 3m vinyl

BMWCurves
04-23-2016, 07:05 AM
1. Does anyone know the proper name for the two red/orange LED flood lights that sit just in front of the map light?
2. Has anyone modded those LEDs to be slightly brighter?

http://i.imgur.com/l2PlLNs.jpg

Sockethead
04-23-2016, 07:29 AM
That looks good. I'm doing an e36 so actually way easier than an e46. All I have is one dash section, 2 door handles, and 1 console section.
Ill Cheek out bimmian. So far I was looking at this brushed aluminum http://carwrapsupplier.com/product-category/brushed-aluminum/
Interesting, going to bookmark that one for other projects. We DINOC'd everything with leftovers, lighters, clocks, computer cases...

hcbeck2689
04-23-2016, 07:41 AM
Ecstuning started to carry 3m vinyl

I saw that. Price looked a bit steep.

Sockethead
04-23-2016, 07:57 AM
Yea 3M products are a little pricey. I think we paid something like $110 for the sheet to do the X5 but we had enough left over to do the 135 and some other small stuff

hcbeck2689
04-23-2016, 09:19 AM
Just got 12"x60" off amazon for $8.99. I figure if it isn't the best stuff get the cheapest and give it a try

-Holden

Sockethead
04-23-2016, 09:58 AM
yea the sheet we got was pretty big. Don't know if you've done this before or watched some videos but you need to use a heat gun to be successful. The additional spray adhesive, I consider optional as I've never used it and everything is still on years later.... don't know about the cheap stuff though...

sillieidiot
04-23-2016, 07:55 PM
1. Does anyone know the proper name for the two red/orange LED flood lights that sit just in front of the map light?
2. Has anyone modded those LEDs to be slightly brighter?

[img]http://i.imgur.com/l2PlLNs.jpg[/img

I believe they are just 3mm LEDs. The brightness is controlled by the dimmer for the dash and stuff. I don't think anyone has. I don't even like my dash lights to be that bright so I turn it down lol

Dual
04-24-2016, 07:26 AM
Is the sound insulation liner for the hood part number 51488193941 (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?id=BD53-USA-10-2005-E46-BMW-330Ci&mg=51&sg=70&diagId=51_3261&q=51488193941)?
It looks very complex (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=BD53-USA-10-2005-E46-BMW-330Ci&diagId=51_3261#51488193941) compared to what's on my car is why I ask.
Also- the expanding rivets used in the center of this part: are they reusable?

Sockethead
04-24-2016, 07:55 AM
Not sure about the liner. Can't get a pic to come up on my phone.
Those plastic rivets are reusable if you can get them out cleanly...

BMWCurves
04-24-2016, 09:11 AM
Not sure about the liner. Can't get a pic to come up on my phone.
Those plastic rivets are reusable if you can get them out cleanly...

That's the trick. I've broken several of these rivets before despite my best efforts.

Dual
04-24-2016, 09:25 AM
Thanks, folks. My liner had shrunk quite a bit and then I cut off two of the mounting tabs, trimming it back to clear a strut tower brace. I think 51488193941 (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?id=BD53-USA-10-2005-E46-BMW-330Ci&mg=51&sg=70&diagId=51_3261&q=51488193941) has to be the part, and I'll order up some rivets.

fw_fw
04-24-2016, 03:53 PM
Thanks, folks. My liner had shrunk quite a bit and then I cut off two of the mounting tabs, trimming it back to clear a strut tower brace. I think 51488193941 (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?id=BD53-USA-10-2005-E46-BMW-330Ci&mg=51&sg=70&diagId=51_3261&q=51488193941) has to be the part, and I'll order up some rivets.

51488193941 is the number for the one I bought for my coupe, $94 shipped off eBay from a BMW dealer.

hcbeck2689
04-24-2016, 07:23 PM
Anyone know where to get good quality tint it small amounts? I don't want to pay the $150-225 for my windshield that I have been quoted. Rather just do it myself. I've tried buying from shops here but they always try telling me they don't charge much for labor and can maybe take $20 off if they don't cut and install. :lol

-Holden

Dr Dynamite
04-26-2016, 05:24 PM

Did this today [emoji83] ... who knows where this goes?

Sockethead
04-26-2016, 05:25 PM
Looks like the bolts that hold on the front LCAB

BMWCurves
04-26-2016, 05:34 PM
If the part number is 31306779487 as shown on the bag, it's the front strut mount bolt, #4 in this diagram:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=BD53-USA-02-2005-E46-BMW-330Ci&diagId=31_0518#31306779487

Sockethead
04-26-2016, 05:38 PM
Ok, you're a little smarter than me...:scratchinghead looking up the part number...:facepalm

danewilson77
04-26-2016, 06:09 PM
Kin pin lower shock mounting bolt.

Sent from an S6 Edge

az3579
04-26-2016, 06:13 PM
Anyone order the ECS Tuning Pulley kit? Not underdrive, just the aluminum standard-sized ones. I think I was shipped the wrong AC belt, I just want to make sure. I was sent a 4-rib AC belt, but my car has a 3 currently. I could not get the 4-rib to fit for the life of me, then I realized it was incorrect. Wondering if others have a 3- or 4-rib belt.

Vas
04-26-2016, 06:22 PM
Anyone order the ECS Tuning Pulley kit? Not underdrive, just the aluminum standard-sized ones. I think I was shipped the wrong AC belt, I just want to make sure. I was sent a 4-rib AC belt, but my car has a 3 currently. I could not get the 4-rib to fit for the life of me, then I realized it was incorrect. Wondering if others have a 3- or 4-rib belt.
I bought that kit before.

They originally had sent me a 5pk863 which was wrong so then they sent me a 4pk863 which is correct.

How many grooves on the pulley?

BMWCurves
04-26-2016, 07:23 PM
Ok, you're a little smarter than me...:scratchinghead looking up the part number...:facepalm

Haha that might not be the part number though, simply a guess. I just did my sister's struts and those bolts did not have a washer on them unlike the bolt pictured above.

Dual
04-27-2016, 01:39 AM
Anyone know where to get good quality tint it small amounts? I don't want to pay the $150-225 for my windshield that I have been quoted. Rather just do it myself. I've tried buying from shops here but they always try telling me they don't charge much for labor and can maybe take $20 off if they don't cut and install. :lol I have been spending time at this site for differing reasons: might be of help though-
http://www.metrorestyling.com/Solar-Gard-Window-Tint-Film-s/67725.htm
Also Amazon has a lot of that kind of film.

az3579
04-27-2016, 03:28 AM
Anyone know where to get good quality tint it small amounts? I don't want to pay the $150-225 for my windshield that I have been quoted. Rather just do it myself. I've tried buying from shops here but they always try telling me they don't charge much for labor and can maybe take $20 off if they don't cut and install. :lol

-Holden

It is pretty darned hard to cut to exact size without the machine, let alone do a flawless application - I highly recommend just letting the shop do it. It really isn't that much in the grand scheme of things. Try other places. My shop did it for $100, including the cost of the film. I paid $400 for all of the side windows, rear window, and windscreen, using an expensive film (Llumar AirBlue 80).

hcbeck2689
04-27-2016, 04:19 AM
It is pretty darned hard to cut to exact size without the machine, let alone do a flawless application - I highly recommend just letting the shop do it. It really isn't that much in the grand scheme of things. Try other places. My shop did it for $100, including the cost of the film. I paid $400 for all of the side windows, rear window, and windscreen, using an expensive film (Llumar AirBlue 80).

Actually the windshield will get cut by hand regardless, but it is totally doable to cut the others by hand. People have done it for 20 years. I'm gonna pull off my old stuff and do it all. I'll make a DIY or something

az3579
04-27-2016, 05:42 AM
Actually the windshield will get cut by hand regardless, but it is totally doable to cut the others by hand. People have done it for 20 years. I'm gonna pull off my old stuff and do it all. I'll make a DIY or something

Whatever works for you.

NYRhockey
04-27-2016, 05:55 PM
Noticed a deep scratch today on the right side of the rear bumper that is down to the metal, so concerned if not taken care of soon and appropriately it'd be a great candidate for rust. Is this something i can put some dr colorchip on and be ok or do i need take it to the shop?

az3579
04-27-2016, 06:00 PM
Noticed a deep scratch today on the right side of the rear bumper that is down to the metal, so concerned if not taken care of soon and appropriately it'd be a great candidate for rust. Is this something i can put some dr colorchip on and be ok or do i need take it to the shop?

The bumper is not metal. Touch it up and don't worry 'bout it. :thumbsup

NYRhockey
04-27-2016, 06:07 PM
nice, thanks man. I have some colorchip paint left and not that its very good (or maybe i sucked at applying it) but if it'll do, it'll do.

Dual
04-30-2016, 12:28 PM
Is it possible to remove the yellow child seat warning stickers from the visors?

ELCID86
04-30-2016, 12:33 PM
Is it possible to remove the yellow child seat warning stickers from the visors?

Yes I think I saw a diy online. Try googling it.

Dual
04-30-2016, 02:16 PM
Yes I think I saw a diy online. Try googling it.

I googled it before I posted here. I try always to do that. The only threads I could find referred to E90's, and I don't know much about them. My car has a fine knit fabric on the visors and I am concerned that if I use solvents mentioned in the thread the adhesives won't come off completely or could leave a stain.

If anyone here has direct experience with our cars in this regard, would much appreciate hearing about it.

BMWCurves
04-30-2016, 02:53 PM
I googled it before I posted here. I try always to do that. The only threads I could find referred to E90's, and I don't know much about them. My car has a fine knit fabric on the visors and I am concerned that if I use solvents mentioned in the thread the adhesives won't come off completely or could leave a stain.

If anyone here has direct experience with our cars in this regard, would much appreciate hearing about it.

This is an old thread but it seems a lot of people used either goo-gone or nail polish remover aka acetone:

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=598724

Another DIY:

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1420496-Airbag-Decal-Removal

No idea if these work, but seems to have worked for some.

Dual
04-30-2016, 04:50 PM
Many thanks!

az3579
04-30-2016, 04:51 PM
You can buy new ones that don't have them on there... I remember ECS carried them.

Dual
05-01-2016, 08:22 AM
So, I read all the linked threads on the visor-cleaning question (thanks everyone!) and cogitated for a while. Here's what I did/learned:
you can't get the stickers off without leaving a phantom behind. The knit fabric is altered by the adhesive and time. So it may not be worth taking this project on after so many years. For those who care to know, however:

Heat, not solvent is the trick for our cars. The sticker has to get pretty hot in order to come off. The fabric, it appears, can take the heat. Cooler stickers come off in shreds.
Fingernails or spudger-type tools work fine to get the sticker started.
Try never to exert lateral force on the sticker as you peel it off (say while getting an initial purchase), because you'll rub adhesive into the fabric.
To the extent you can remove the remaining adhesive from the fabric, Zip-Sander Surface Prep and Xylol seem the best calls, in combination with a microfiber cloth. I went back and forth between the two. Ventilate, obvs.
A very short-haired stiff brush like one might use on fingernails is a good last step.

However:

That said, I don't regret having removed the stickers at all.

fredo
05-01-2016, 08:53 AM
Good results.

:like

ELCID86
05-01-2016, 10:20 AM
Good results.

:like

Yes. Thanks for posting.

sillieidiot
05-01-2016, 10:40 AM

Yes, but then you get the lines left over that you can't completely get rid of. I would have rather left them on there, but the guy I bought the visors already took them off. I'll have to replace them with euro ones later that don't come with it.

edit:
crap should have scrolled down more LOL nice work.

Dual
05-02-2016, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the good words, folks!

You can buy new ones that don't have them on there... I remember ECS carried them.
Found them with ECS' help: $98.43 each.

The modified visors don't really show much damage from the work that was done on them: slightly stretched out and discolored in the area of the old stickers but it's really quite minor. I'm going to let things settle in and see how much of that fades away with time.

Vas
05-02-2016, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the good words, folks!

Found them with ECS' help: $98.43 each.

The modified visors don't really show much damage from the work that was done on them: slightly stretched out and discolored in the area of the old stickers but it's really quite minor. I'm going to let things settle in and see how much of that fades away with time.

Part number for the new ones without the stickers?

Dual
05-02-2016, 09:04 AM
Part number for the new ones without the stickers?81865/81866
" If Ordered Now, Ships on May 24th " so presumably shipped in from Europe.

MrAdventure
05-03-2016, 07:57 AM
Has anyone paid for the premium Carista app? It's supposed to be able to read/reset all the codes, including ABS and SRS codes. If so, any impressions? I was all set to go buy the premium Torque app, but it apparently doesn't do those.

MrAdventure
05-03-2016, 09:59 AM
Oh, another question - I have the two oil common leaks - one at the filter housing, and the Valve cover gasket. Occasionally, I get a whiff of burnt oil in the cabin. If I were to fix one, which would be the more likely candidate for the burnt oil? I've tried locating it with the engine running, but my sense of smell is not good enough to tell which is the source.

(I am checking the oil levels frequently to make sure the quantity doesn't drop too dramatically.

san
05-03-2016, 10:04 AM
Oh, another question - I have the two oil common leaks - one at the filter housing, and the Valve cover gasket. Occasionally, I get a whiff of burnt oil in the cabin. If I were to fix one, which would be the more likely candidate for the burnt oil? I've tried locating it with the engine running, but my sense of smell is not good enough to tell which is the source.

(I am checking the oil levels frequently to make sure the quantity doesn't drop too dramatically.

Burnt oil smell would be valve cover gasket... It leaks onto the exhaust heat shield...

ecrabb
05-03-2016, 12:43 PM
Occasionally, I get a whiff of burnt oil in the cabin. If I were to fix one, which would be the more likely candidate for the burnt oil?

Burnt oil smell would be valve cover gasket... It leaks onto the exhaust heat shield...

This! Just did my wife's X3 this spring, and that's exactly what would happen... Nothing for awhile, then a drip of oil would fall onto the exhaust manifold and we'd get a giant whiff of burnt oil smell. If it was calm, like in the garage, we could even see a little puff. Replaced the valve cover gasket, and all was well again.

SC

ecrabb
05-03-2016, 01:28 PM
Quick question for the gang... I want a little more sound from the ZHP. More rumble at idle, more burble on downshift, and a little healthier sound when I stand on it. I'm not interested in spending big bucks on headers and exhaust, or even a tuner axle back solution for a grand or whatever.

To be clear, this isn't about performance, but rather sound/fun/enjoyment. I'm not out to be the center of attention and I certainly don't want to be like the kid in the Civic annoying the crap out everybody with the the fart-can mufflers. This is for me, not to show off, and I don't want a bunch of attention at every green light.

So, I asked around and it seemed like a muffler delete was the best option. Of course, videos only show so much, and you never really know when one person says, "It's not loud at all." I scheduled an appointment to do a muffler delete for about $225, but got cold feet on that particular vendor.

I just rescheduled with another vendor, and based on my comments, he's recommending replacing the rear muffler with dual "glass pack"/resonators, and reusing the factory tips, which with labor is about $400. My only experience with "glass packs" is on muscle cars and trucks, where I HATE how they sound... To me, they sound "flabby" or "puffy" or something like that. But, I have no clue what they would sound like on a ZHP.

My instinct is to try the muffler delete, and if that's too loud, then have him add something back, like what he's recommending, or the Flowmaster that some people use.

Knowing what I'm after, can anybody offers any guidance?

Sorry for the long post in the random question thread, but my appointment is tomorrow, and I don't want to just blow a bunch of money trying different things.

Thanks, guys!!!

SC

Vas
05-03-2016, 01:33 PM
Vibrant muffler. Look at the thread here for it

ecrabb
05-03-2016, 02:25 PM
Vibrant muffler. Look at the thread here for it
Yeah, I remember seeing the video and thinking it sounded nice, but then reading that some people were saying it didn't sound that different from stock, which then made me go back to the "delete" option... Because, why spend money on a muffler if it doesn't sound much different from stock.

That's the most frustrating thing... Videos and comments are nearly useless; not because people aren't reliable or I don't trust their opinions, but just because it's all so subjective. My "too loud" and another person's "too loud" might be vastly different.

If only I could have a volume knob so I could just adjust it to suit the mood. ;)

SC

sillieidiot
05-06-2016, 03:25 PM
Iono, I feel like it's hard to recommend exhaust especially since you give us no references to what you think is too loud or too soft. I personally consider the sound from a muffler delete isn't that great. It's louder sure, but it doesn't have any defining tone. I would probably start out with a resonator delete. I believe we have 2 on our cars. Normally for slightly louder, it's recommended to delete the one closest to the muffler. If it's not loud enough, delete both. I'd do that before doing the muffler delete tbh.

johnrando
05-06-2016, 04:17 PM
The OFHG is a very straightforward fix, so I"d do that too.

ELCID86
05-06-2016, 05:24 PM
The OFHG is a very straightforward fix, so I"d do that too.

Is it leaking (I didn't read the whole thread)?

rguti153
05-09-2016, 01:28 PM
so I need to buy a new exterior trim moulding for my passanger door . does anybody know if it comes with the clips ?

Vas
05-09-2016, 01:48 PM
No

san
05-13-2016, 05:44 AM
Can anyone point me to the Best power steering fluid for our cars??

ryankokesh
05-13-2016, 05:48 AM
Can anyone point me to the Best power steering fluid for our cars??

I would be comfortable with any reputable synthetic DEX3 ATF. Just change it regularly.

I should do that this weekend...thanks for the reminder!

san
05-13-2016, 08:08 AM
I would be comfortable with any reputable synthetic DEX3 ATF. Just change it regularly.

I should do that this weekend...thanks for the reminder!

Something like this?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline-MaxLife-Dexron-Mercon-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-1-Gallon/15125768

And how much of it would I need?

ryankokesh
05-13-2016, 08:43 AM
Something like this?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline-MaxLife-Dexron-Mercon-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-1-Gallon/15125768

And how much of it would I need?

Yup!

If you use the turkey baster method seems like people recommend a quart. I used two the first time I did it to make sure everything was new.

http://www.impee.co.uk/powersteering_fluid_change.htm

san
05-13-2016, 08:45 AM
Yup!

If you use the turkey baster method seems like people recommend a quart. I used two the first time I did it to make sure everything was new.

Thanks a lot Ryan!

ryankokesh
05-13-2016, 08:45 AM
Thanks a lot Ryan!

Np, good luck!

:thumbsup

das boots
05-13-2016, 06:49 PM
Yup!

Somewhere way back when....some guy showed me to disconnect a fitting from the steering line somewhere below to drain the whole fluid system. Unfortunately, all I did that time was to just watch and no retention. I should have paid better attention then.....

hcbeck2689
05-18-2016, 05:32 AM
I just picked my car up from an alignment and didn't notice the rest to settings until I got home. They set rear toe to 0 deg instead of .1 in. How will this effect handling and should I take it back?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160518/e1ae76ee428c70dad3c0b7ad17aab367.jpg

-Holden

Vas
05-18-2016, 08:24 AM
I just picked my car up from an alignment and didn't notice the rest to settings until I got home. They set rear toe to 0 deg instead of .1 in. How will this effect handling and should I take it back?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160518/e1ae76ee428c70dad3c0b7ad17aab367.jpg

-Holden
They used e36 m3 specs with 17 inch wheels on your zhp? Um...

hcbeck2689
05-18-2016, 08:35 AM
They used e36 m3 specs with 17 inch wheels on your zhp? Um...

Haha, no it's the m3. Regardless zero toe should effect ride the same no matter the car. Just wondering if I should have it toed in, like I originally asked them to do. All other toe and camber was done per my instruction.

san
05-18-2016, 10:38 AM
Do the rear sway bar end links have the same life expectancy as the fronts?

Sockethead
05-18-2016, 11:14 AM
The rear end links are just a rubber bushing. If you look at them and they are cracked and dry rotted then I'd replace them but you wont get a knocking noise upon failure like the front ones unless the rubber falls out completely...

san
05-18-2016, 11:16 AM
The rear end links are just a rubber bushing. If you look at them and they are cracked and dry rotted then I'd replace them but you wont get a knocking noise upon failure like the front ones unless the rubber falls out completely...

Gotcha, thanks!

ELCID86
05-19-2016, 05:31 PM
So I have these codes. P0456, P0442

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160520/61005caf00bd7fd545540898d88883bd.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160520/bd4bb5bbf6c804d9e7e12a5c6aae5841.jpg

And found this tonight. DMTL leakage. I assume they are all related. Not sure about the implausible petrol tank level...?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160520/11c4e6b0e09ce88f0151014670c7f43c.jpg

Think it could be the emissions diagnostics pump?

az3579
05-20-2016, 05:27 AM
Gas cap?

hcbeck2689
05-20-2016, 08:02 AM
I'm pretty sure I threw a po442 when I ran my car with no muffler. I cleared it after the muffler was put on and never came back

-Holden

ecrabb
05-20-2016, 09:12 AM
Quick question for you guys... Wifey's '07 X3 break pad indicator just came on. Front rotor definitely has a serious lip on it. 46k miles on the car. Knew it was coming. Local indie shop I like quoted me about $800 to do rotors, pads, and sensors on all four corners using Textar and Zimmermann parts. I know I can DIY for about half that.

I don't love wrenching, but I also don't mind wrenching a little to save some money, especially if it's a relatively easy job. But, brakes... Even though it seems like a pretty easy job, I've never done it, and I'm leaning toward letting a pro handle it and using that half a Saturday to do something else. Especially since it's her DD and can't just sit there for a day or two if I need a tool or something.

The reason I'm asking here is my ZHP has close to the same mileage, and I'm thinking about Hawk pads and maybe doing some decent aftermarket drilled/slotted rotors at the same time this summer. So, same basic (relevant) question. Pay pro or DIY?

Thanks, guys!!!

SC

Vas
05-20-2016, 04:30 PM
Diy

Sockethead
05-20-2016, 04:41 PM
DIY Don't forget, he's probably marking up the parts too... Although they probably ain't cheap....

az3579
05-20-2016, 05:29 PM
Brakes are easy. I'd DIY it for sure. Just soak the rotor retention screw with PB blaster for a day or two before you start as though suckers like to seize up.

Vas
05-20-2016, 05:40 PM
And replace them with ss screws

slater
05-20-2016, 06:05 PM
And replace them with ss screws

or just coat them with anti-seize and don't tighten them much... they're only there to hold the rotor on when the wheel is off...

ELCID86
05-20-2016, 06:23 PM
Gas cap?

I get the gas cap light first. And then the SES with p-codes pop up. I did replace the cap with no success.

Karl Lazlo
05-20-2016, 06:26 PM
I get the gas cap light first. And then the SES with p-codes pop up. I did replace the cap with no success.

Did you check the evap canister for leaks?

ecrabb
05-20-2016, 06:40 PM
Thanks so much guys! Appreciate the feedback! I'll see what I can find for parts this weekend and see how the dollars work out.

Cheers,
SC

ecrabb
05-20-2016, 09:01 PM
Just looked up all the X3 brake parts on FCP Euro, and the total comes to about $525. That means the indie shop is getting about $275 for labor. Seems very fair to me.

For that kind of money, I might just pay him to do it and save the DIY energy for doing the ZHP.

Or, I could learn on the wife's car and put the savings toward better parts for the ZHP.

Decisions... ;-)

SC

ELCID86
05-21-2016, 04:22 AM

Have not. Do you know if a smoke test would reveal a leak there? (I bought a smoke machine).

Karl Lazlo
05-21-2016, 05:49 AM
Have not. Do you know if a smoke test would reveal a leak there? (I bought a smoke machine).

I have not smoked an EVAP system as I am not sure it would work. Other than inspecting the hoses, I am out of ideas. I need more coffee.

das boots
05-21-2016, 07:20 AM
Just looked up all the X3 brake parts on FCP Euro, and the total comes to about $525. That means the indie shop is getting about $275 for labor. Seems very fair to me.

For that kind of money, I might just pay him to do it and save the DIY energy for doing the ZHP.

Or, I could learn on the wife's car and put the savings toward better parts for the ZHP.

Decisions... ;-)

SC

But will the mechanic be using the same type of brake parts from FCP Euro or some OTC parts? Or preferably, you purchase the parts and ask him to do the labor. This is what I do with my BMW tech mechanic on my vehicles that are too complicated for me to do.

Vas
05-21-2016, 09:24 AM
Fcp has a sale on brake kits right now. $50 off iirc

ELCID86
05-21-2016, 04:33 PM
No. This thread seem to point to the DMTL (Diagnostic Module Tank Leakage) pump.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688112

BMWCurves
05-21-2016, 09:22 PM
Brakes on the ZHP really aren't that bad. Just be prepared to tackle some seized bolts with some PB blaster or the like. To get seized rotors off I just put a wood block on one side of the rotor and smacked it with a hammer (rubber hammer was on loan to a friend). Do it on different parts and it'll eventually fall off.

Sockethead
05-22-2016, 04:49 AM
or if you're replacing the rotors, skip the wood block and rubber hammer and just use a BFH :)

sillieidiot
05-22-2016, 02:03 PM
or if you're replacing the rotors, skip the wood block and rubber hammer and just use a BFH :)

This. I just hammer straight on the rotor from the back side. hit it as hard as I can and get indentations in it lol

Karl Lazlo
05-22-2016, 05:24 PM
This. I just hammer straight on the rotor from the back side. hit it as hard as I can and get indentations in it lol

Glad I'm not the only one.

Vas
05-22-2016, 05:44 PM
So I have these codes. P0456, P0442

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160520/61005caf00bd7fd545540898d88883bd.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160520/bd4bb5bbf6c804d9e7e12a5c6aae5841.jpg

And found this tonight. DMTL leakage. I assume they are all related. Not sure about the implausible petrol tank level...?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160520/11c4e6b0e09ce88f0151014670c7f43c.jpg

Think it could be the emissions diagnostics pump?
Got the same code on Sketchi due to the gas cap not being fully seated. If it's not the cap, then there is a leak at the other end of the system.

ELCID86
05-22-2016, 05:48 PM
Got the same code on Sketchi due to the gas cap not being fully seated. If it's not the cap, then there is a leak at the other end of the system.

Yeah I wish it was that easy (and cheap). Going after the DMTL pump first. If that's not it it may be the tank evap pump near the VANOS.

slater
05-24-2016, 05:13 AM
Yeah I wish it was that easy (and cheap). Going after the DMTL pump first. If that's not it it may be the tank evap pump near the VANOS.

the evap valve is under the front edge of the intake manifold, i believe. i've read of guys removing it, cleaning the guts with carb cleaner, and reinstalling - problem solved.

das boots
05-24-2016, 05:31 AM
the evap valve is under the front edge of the intake manifold, i believe. i've read of guys removing it, cleaning the guts with carb cleaner, and reinstalling - problem solved.

Could anyone show a photo of where exactly is the location?

ELCID86
05-24-2016, 09:48 AM
Will the side mirrors (glass) from a sedan work on the coupe ?

BMWCurves
05-24-2016, 10:00 AM
Will the side mirrors (glass) from a sedan work on the coupe ?

I can't be definitive, but I recall saying the mirror shape is slightly different and one of them won't fit in the other.

BMWCurves
05-24-2016, 12:30 PM
I'm interested in people's thoughts on these maintenance intervals. Should they be more, less? Is anything missing? I like to be conservative.

http://i.imgur.com/8mFYhzp.png

ELCID86
05-24-2016, 12:36 PM
Could anyone show a photo of where exactly is the location?

Evap purge valve?

Cleaning it was what a shop here recommended to Dan (Novaphotog) when he asked for me and showed them my codes. They said the one by the charcoal can may need it also.

http://blog.bavauto.com/5434/bmw-m54-6-cylinder-crankcase-ventilation-pcv-diy-325i-328i-330i-525i-530i/

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160524/856686d5ee960f61c57e0edfc4bdfc34.jpg

ELCID86
05-24-2016, 12:36 PM
I can't be definitive, but I recall saying the mirror shape is slightly different and one of them won't fit in the other.

Thanks. Anyone else confirm?

az3579
05-24-2016, 03:20 PM
I'm interested in people's thoughts on these maintenance intervals. Should they be more, less? Is anything missing? I like to be conservative.

http://i.imgur.com/8mFYhzp.png

Things I'd change:

Brake fluid - 2 years if you do not track your car. 6 months if you do. You'll never boil your fluid under normal driving.

Air filter - I believe this is a 30k item

Cabin air filter - Also 30k. Honestly, I've only ever replaced it once the entire time I've had the car (about 100k or so ago), and didn't even need to back then. I never noticed a difference and am of the thinking that it's pointless.

Fuel filter is a 60-100k item. I'd do it at 100k if you drive a lot, 60 if you don't.

Spark plugs are a 100k item.

Belts are a 60k item, together with your cooling system.

Pullies - I do these when I do the cooling system.

BMWCurves
05-24-2016, 04:32 PM
Things I'd change:

Brake fluid - 2 years if you do not track your car. 6 months if you do. You'll never boil your fluid under normal driving.

Air filter - I believe this is a 30k item

Cabin air filter - Also 30k. Honestly, I've only ever replaced it once the entire time I've had the car (about 100k or so ago), and didn't even need to back then. I never noticed a difference and am of the thinking that it's pointless.

Fuel filter is a 60-100k item. I'd do it at 100k if you drive a lot, 60 if you don't.

Spark plugs are a 100k item.

Belts are a 60k item, together with your cooling system.

Pullies - I do these when I do the cooling system.

Appreciate it, BP.

There aren't any time intervals (i.e. days/years) for things like diff/trans/power steering fluids, or the other items I listed as N/A, are there?

Vas
05-24-2016, 04:48 PM
Appreciate it, BP.

There aren't any time intervals (i.e. days/years) for things like diff/trans/power steering fluids, or the other items I listed as N/A, are there?
I go with the Mike miller maintenence schedule.

Sockethead
05-24-2016, 04:51 PM
I get about 60k out of a set of plugs...

san
05-24-2016, 04:54 PM
Spark plugs on my Zhp were changed 60k miles ago by PO... Guess it's time, I'm exactly at 120k miles now...

az3579
05-24-2016, 04:56 PM
Appreciate it, BP.

I drive too much to ever have to worry about age, so I couldn't tell ya. :dunno

ELCID86
05-24-2016, 05:05 PM
Thanks. Anyone else confirm?

I checked realoem once I got home. They are different part numbers for sedan and coupe.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous

ELCID86
05-24-2016, 05:06 PM

+1. And He'll send it to you if you ask nicely.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous

BMWCurves
05-24-2016, 05:40 PM

That's what I used as a rough basis. I have his guide dated 03/13. For those who want a copy, just Google "Mike Miller lifetime maintenance schedule" and it should pop up there.

Vas
05-24-2016, 05:54 PM
Yeah. I just stuck with it

das boots
05-24-2016, 05:58 PM
Evap purge valve?

Cleaning it was what a shop here recommended to Dan (Novaphotog) when he asked for me and showed them my codes. They said the one by the charcoal can may need it also.

http://blog.bavauto.com/5434/bmw-m54-6-cylinder-crankcase-ventilation-pcv-diy-325i-328i-330i-525i-530i/

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160524/856686d5ee960f61c57e0edfc4bdfc34.jpg

Is this the same as CCV? Or is that the small thingie that has a plug in which one of the CCV tubes attaches?

ELCID86
05-25-2016, 02:49 PM
Is this the same as CCV? Or is that the small thingie that has a plug in which one of the CCV tubes attaches?

:dunno I think the latter.

---

GotZHP
05-25-2016, 04:28 PM
:dunno I think the latter.

---

I think it is the later as well. Just replacced my intake manifold gaskets & entire CCV system

GotZHP
05-25-2016, 04:29 PM
Havent searched around yet but,

can a subwoofer and amplifier be tied into the business CD player?? I have the Harmon/Kardon sound system in my car and want to have all those speakers working still. Just want to have some extra bass kick.

hcbeck2689
05-25-2016, 04:51 PM

can a subwoofer and amplifier be tied into the business CD player?? I have the Harmon/Kardon sound system in my car and want to have all those speakers working still. Just want to have some extra bass kick.

I don't know the specifics of the business radio, but someone who knows how to wire should not have any problems with it. Just make sure you have a separate sub volume wired so you can crank it up there and not be blowing your speaker bc the bass is cranked all the way up on your radio.

-Holden

GotZHP
05-25-2016, 05:12 PM
I don't know the specifics of the business radio, but someone who knows how to wire should not have any problems with it. Just make sure you have a separate sub volume wired so you can crank it up there and not be blowing your speaker bc the bass is cranked all the way up on your radio.

-Holden

There was a knob that came with the sub. Had its own little module and wire. Unfortunately, this was left in the trunk.

das boots
05-25-2016, 05:23 PM
I think it is the later as well. Just replacced my intake manifold gaskets & entire CCV system

Exactly what I already did. CCV and associated items. Except his part.....

hcbeck2689
05-26-2016, 07:41 PM
How much does a zhp muffler go for/good listing price?

-Holden

az3579
05-27-2016, 03:38 AM
How much does a zhp muffler go for/good listing price?

-Holden

Varies. They're pretty undesirable so you can probably get one for less than $150.

ELCID86
05-27-2016, 09:24 AM
Any suggestions on how to get these three screws out? I'm trying to replace the small pump on the back of the charcoal canister. Can't get vice grips on them and the heads (hex) are rusted out and or stripped.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160527/bff451fe428e9d34150396c46d5c0e3e.jpg

Sockethead
05-27-2016, 10:05 AM
If your replacing that part, either grind the heads off or drill out the heads. You could grind flats into the sides of the heads and use a wrench but that would be really tedious...
or maybe grind a slot across the top of the head and use a screw driver but if they are frozen in there, that probably won't work

ELCID86
05-27-2016, 10:11 AM
Thanks Rob!

---

Sockethead
05-27-2016, 11:01 AM
:biggrin

ELCID86
05-27-2016, 12:54 PM
PBlaster and a T20 did the trick. Need to drive it now.

Older Bosch DMTL pump comes apart. New one is sealed. Here's the innards of the old one.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160527/51b0f8c25cc335219d29a268f004f617.jpg
---

Sockethead
05-27-2016, 12:58 PM
Glad you got it apart with any grinding or drilling... :thumbsup

sillieidiot
05-27-2016, 03:18 PM

Yes, you have to do the wiring with an LOC near the amp though. Unless your amp already accepts line level inputs.

Dual
05-29-2016, 12:35 PM
I have a brake warning light on with the emergency brake functioning OK and no codes on OBD-II. Suggestions?

az3579
05-29-2016, 01:18 PM
I have a brake warning light on with the emergency brake functioning OK and no codes on OBD-II. Suggestions?
Worn brake pads.

ELCID86
05-29-2016, 01:29 PM
Worn brake pads.

This. Or could it just be the sensor?

Dual
05-29-2016, 01:52 PM
Much appreciated, folks. Seems really obvious, I know, but I'm used to a different car.

TigerTater
06-01-2016, 07:13 AM
Brake question. Never been replaced since I've never owned the car. Was inspecting them when I rotated the tires, and I'm thinking they're close to end of life. Replace both rotor and pads together? I think the rotor is toast?

Fronts

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160601/3c2f0c6f92f3d0d93d7bbb1f0c80b2ee.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160601/4f0b115a6906e8d2296335484174d372.jpg

Rears

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160601/c3f86520ce0a287a110741d6145449c3.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160601/faad83311fefcd7b84c6ff44bc3e1b32.jpg

az3579
06-01-2016, 07:42 AM
For rotors, feel the lip. If you can feel one with your finger, it's about time to replace.

As far as pads - the pics make it slightly hard to judge, but I would say that based on what I see, the rear pads should get done at this point as well. They technically have a little more life left in them, but if you're getting new rotors, then new pads are the way to go. The fronts appear to have decent life left.

If you got OE rotors, then the rotors are designed to wear with the pad, so by the time the pad is gone, the rotor "should" be replaced as well. That is why there is excellent braking performance with the OE setup, though that is also why there is so much dust. If you're going aftermarket, then disregard this comment as it may not apply.

ELCID86
06-01-2016, 02:33 PM
Brake question. Never been replaced since I've never owned the car. Was inspecting them when I rotated the tires, and I'm thinking they're close to end of life. Replace both rotor and pads together? I think the rotor is toast?

Fronts

Rears
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160601/4b0b7ab7e589304516a4821c16c35dfc.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160601/c3f86520ce0a287a110741d6145449c3.jpg

Good advice BP. I've got about this much lip on mine. I guess it's 'bout time.

Hmm pics aren't showing in the post. Maybe a TaT setting?!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160601/dc7393773572947e8016c399753be207.jpg

san
06-01-2016, 04:32 PM
Good advice BP. I've got about this much lip on mine. I guess it's 'bout time.

Hmm pics aren't showing in the post. Maybe a TaT setting?!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160601/dc7393773572947e8016c399753be207.jpg

I can see the pics

Vas
06-01-2016, 04:58 PM
By those pictures it is time for new pads and rotors.

danewilson77
06-02-2016, 08:56 AM
By those pictures it is time for new pads and rotors.
This. Replace both.

S7 Edge, out

MrAdventure
06-02-2016, 10:31 AM
OK, so I'm bringing in my car to have the passenger airbag replaced, and I'm having them replace my valve cover gasket too (it's leaking, and I'm lazy). I'm talking to the service manager, and he starts telling me that, given the mileage (140k), I should also replace the valve cover itself, "because they can warp, too". Their price for the VC is $470, so I'm going to pass on it. I've had that gasket replaced on other cars before, but never the VC itself. I've never heard that before.

Was he blowing smoke or is there any truth to what he's saying?

ELCID86
06-02-2016, 10:39 AM
I can see the pics

What a mess-- TaT.

san
06-02-2016, 10:41 AM
What a mess-- TaT.

no more "Zhp is garbage....." sig?

holyc0w
06-02-2016, 10:43 AM
OK, so I'm bringing in my car to have the passenger airbag replaced, and I'm having them replace my valve cover gasket too (it's leaking, and I'm lazy). I'm talking to the service manager, and he starts telling me that, given the mileage (140k), I should also replace the valve cover itself, "because they can warp, too". Their price for the VC is $470, so I'm going to pass on it. I've had that gasket replaced on other cars before, but never the VC itself. I've never heard that before.

Was he blowing smoke or is there any truth to what he's saying?

I've heard the same from an indy mechanic and have read the same on a forum (E46Fanatics?). The valve covers warps since it is plastic. When just the gasket is replaced the leak will start again. And then both the cover and gasket have to be redone.

The cover itself runs $320 on ECStuning.

MrAdventure
06-02-2016, 12:41 PM
I've heard the same from an indy mechanic and have read the same on a forum (E46Fanatics?). The valve covers warps since it is plastic. When just the gasket is replaced the leak will start again. And then both the cover and gasket have to be redone.

Understood, but how often does it happen?

ELCID86
06-02-2016, 03:33 PM
no more "Zhp is garbage....." sig?

TaT let's you post or not post it (sometimes).

---

holyc0w
06-02-2016, 04:44 PM
Understood, but how often does it happen?

Not sure, seems to be case by case. It seems like cracks in the cover are a bigger issue.

http://e46valvecover.com/e46-warped-valve-cover/

Vas
06-02-2016, 04:52 PM
I would just replace the gasket.

das boots
06-02-2016, 06:01 PM
Plastics....Rubber parts...the dread from a hot engine if left unchecked. This is the main reason why I open my hood after I return to my garage and cool the engine down as soon as possible. Engine bay will remain very hot since hot coolant will still be flowing in the engine. Heat deteriorates plastic and rubber parts.

GotZHP
06-02-2016, 06:19 PM
What is this Gizmo thingy?

Outside air temp sensor? The wires to it got all messed up when the air duct panel it is attached to decided to come unattached :/

Build thread has more for those who are interested (shameless plug :innocent:p )

san
06-02-2016, 06:21 PM
What is this Gizmo thingy?

Outside air temp sensor? The wires to it got all messed up when the air duct panel it is attached to decided to come unattached :/

Build thread has more for those who are interested (shameless plug :innocent:p )

Yup, ambient temperature sensor

GotZHP
06-02-2016, 07:36 PM
Yup, ambient temperature sensor

Does it do anything other than provide the temperature for the read out in the car?

san
06-03-2016, 02:49 AM
Does it do anything other than provide the temperature for the read out in the car?

I don't think so...

Sockethead
06-03-2016, 06:39 AM
your HVAC system won't work correctly without it....

ELCID86
06-03-2016, 08:33 AM

I think BP keeps a few spares on hand based on his bad luck with this specific part ! :ducking

az3579
06-03-2016, 11:33 AM

Heated mirrors definitely rely on this sensor. When it detects it's 37 degrees out, it'll turn on the heated mirrors.

I think BP keeps a few spares on hand based on his bad luck with this specific part ! :ducking

Sigh.

BMWCurves
06-03-2016, 01:20 PM
Heated mirrors definitely rely on this sensor. When it detects it's 37 degrees out, it'll turn on the heated mirrors.

Interesting, I assumed the HVAC system was dependent upon the ambient air temp sensor, but didn't think about the mirrors.

stephenkirsh
06-04-2016, 06:46 PM
Do all e46s have heated mirrors?

az3579
06-04-2016, 06:52 PM
Do all e46s have heated mirrors?
I'm pretty sure all U.S. spec E46's have heated mirrors. Not sure about euro spec.

stephenkirsh
06-05-2016, 04:27 PM
Even though I've had plenty of ice in the car in sub-32 degree weather, never had frosted mirrors somehow.

BMWCurves
06-06-2016, 10:53 AM
When you flush your brake fluid, you should flush the clutch line as well, correct?

az3579
06-06-2016, 10:56 AM
When you flush your brake fluid, you should flush the clutch line as well, correct?

Never done it once since I've owned the car. I've bled my brakes dozens of times since I've owned it...
You shouldn't have to touch the clutch line unless you have a problem...

BMWCurves
06-06-2016, 11:06 AM
Never done it once since I've owned the car. I've bled my brakes dozens of times since I've owned it...
You shouldn't have to touch the clutch line unless you have a problem...

Interesting. I figured you flushed the clutch line at the same time since it shares the same fluid as the brake fluid. So I shouldn't need to touch the clutch line during a flush, even if I'm changing brake fluid brands?

az3579
06-06-2016, 11:19 AM
Interesting. I figured you flushed the clutch line at the same time since it shares the same fluid as the brake fluid. So I shouldn't need to touch the clutch line during a flush, even if I'm changing brake fluid brands?

The only time you'll have a problem with it is if the reservoir runs completely dry...
I don't take old fluid out, I just flush new fluid in, so I never had to touch the clutch.

BMWCurves
06-06-2016, 11:27 AM
The only time you'll have a problem with it is if the reservoir runs completely dry...
I don't take old fluid out, I just flush new fluid in, so I never had to touch the clutch.

Gotcha, thanks!

Vas
06-06-2016, 11:31 AM
I had bled the clutch on both cars when I did the cdv delete and installed the SS clutch line. During that time, I also bled the brakes.

BMWCurves
06-06-2016, 11:36 AM
I had bled the clutch on both cars when I did the cdv delete and installed the SS clutch line. During that time, I also bled the brakes.

As did I, but I've never done just a brake fluid flush.

BMWCurves
06-06-2016, 10:17 PM
For people with the BMW Performance intake, is the filter the same as the normal air filter, just you bend it around the performance intake's housing?

3ZHP
06-07-2016, 12:20 AM
Don't know about BMW Performance but, Dinan is a significant difference.

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss351/3zhpguy/ZHP/Maintenence/NewFilterDinan.gif (http://s591.photobucket.com/user/3zhpguy/media/ZHP/Maintenence/NewFilterDinan.gif.html)

Sent from my iPhone 6S using Tapatalk

jwalther
06-07-2016, 02:55 AM
For people with the BMW Performance intake, is the filter the same as the normal air filter, just you bend it around the performance intake's housing?

Different. Good discussion on alternatives to the ridiculously expensive OE filter: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?12824-10-BMW-E46-ZHP-Performance-Intake-Filter-Element-Alternative

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s216/jeffw63/B43F5655-CBB1-4657-9CA3-B6199E300B8B_zpss48zspa6.jpg (http://s153.photobucket.com/user/jeffw63/media/B43F5655-CBB1-4657-9CA3-B6199E300B8B_zpss48zspa6.jpg.html)

WOLFN8TR
06-07-2016, 03:48 AM

There is a thread about the BMW Perf intake filters and alternative replacements.

BMWCurves
06-07-2016, 06:42 AM
Don't know about BMW Performance but, Dinan is a significant difference.

Different. Good discussion on alternatives to the ridiculously expensive OE filter: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?12824-10-BMW-E46-ZHP-Performance-Intake-Filter-Element-Alternative

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s216/jeffw63/B43F5655-CBB1-4657-9CA3-B6199E300B8B_zpss48zspa6.jpg (http://s153.photobucket.com/user/jeffw63/media/B43F5655-CBB1-4657-9CA3-B6199E300B8B_zpss48zspa6.jpg.html)

There is a thread about the BMW Perf intake filters and alternative replacements.

Thank you all kindly!

WOLFN8TR
06-07-2016, 06:49 AM
Welcome...[emoji106]

bosszhp
06-07-2016, 10:56 AM
Is it normal to have to replace 2 starters in a year? Replaced the starter last April then my Indy just had to replace it again (2 separate shops).

BMWCurves
06-07-2016, 11:00 AM
Is it normal to have to replace 2 starters in a year? Replaced the starter last April then my Indy just had to replace it again (2 separate shops).

I would think that is not normal.

fredo
06-07-2016, 11:16 AM
Agreed. I'm at 140k miles with original starter. Maybe you got a faulty one ?

stephenkirsh
06-07-2016, 01:07 PM
Was the first replacement a new unit or a rebuilt one?

bosszhp
06-07-2016, 06:39 PM
Was the first replacement a new unit or a rebuilt one?

New. The symptoms I had were different in each case. Last year the car sometimes wouldn't start and just made some strange blowing/spinning noise. Sometimes I'd have to take the key in and out of the ignition until it started. IIRC my previous indy said something about it being the solenoid, checked my records and it shows they replaced the starter. This time around I was having symptoms of a bad alternator, car started slower and slower until one day it just wouldn't crank and made some grinding noise (the same day the windshield wipers were acting up; battery is ~3 months old), current indy replaced the starter again and now all is well. :dunno:

Dual
06-11-2016, 12:25 PM
Is it normal that I don't see my own new posts listed in the "New Posts" search?

Dual
06-11-2016, 12:31 PM
Agreed. I'm at 140k miles with original starter. Maybe you got a faulty one ?That's very encouraging. Porsche 968 starters were usually good for around 40K in winter driving as I recall.

fw_fw
06-11-2016, 01:52 PM
Is it normal that I don't see my own new posts listed in the "New Posts" search?

Yes.....

MrAdventure
06-13-2016, 04:37 PM
So, the stitching on one of the seat cushion seams popped when I absentmindedly put my hand on it to push myself up. I noticed it on a rear seat, too. I think the stitching's just ripped, instead of tearing through the leather.

Is this the sort of thing one can easily repair themselves, or is it best to take it to an auto upholsterer to fix?

danewilson77
06-13-2016, 06:40 PM
So, the stitching on one of the seat cushion seams popped when I absentmindedly put my hand on it to push myself up. I noticed it on a rear seat, too. I think the stitching's just ripped, instead of tearing through the leather.

Is this the sort of thing one can easily repair themselves, or is it best to take it to an auto upholsterer to fix?
On the seam? Alcantara?

S7 Edge, out

MrAdventure
06-13-2016, 08:09 PM
On the seam? Alcantara?

S7 Edge, out

Regular leather, along the seam.

MrAdventure
06-16-2016, 05:52 AM
Has no one restitched their leather seats?

BMWCurves
06-16-2016, 06:11 AM
I have never. It's something I'd leave to an upholsterer, personally. Once you poke a hole in leather it's there forever and I don't trust myself to that on a trial run.

Dual
06-16-2016, 06:27 AM
So, the stitching on one of the seat cushion seams popped when I absentmindedly put my hand on it to push myself up. It's really hard for me to see that as carelessness. Sounds like a flaw in your particular vehicle...

az3579
06-16-2016, 07:24 AM
Has no one restitched their leather seats?

It's not a common occurrence...

It's really hard for me to see that as carelessness. Sounds like a flaw in your particular vehicle...

Agreed. That probably would've been an issue anyway even without pushing yourself up on it.

holyc0w
06-16-2016, 07:49 AM
Maybe..check for cocaine hidden inside the seats?

MrAdventure
06-16-2016, 09:20 AM
I have never. It's something I'd leave to an upholsterer, personally. Once you poke a hole in leather it's there forever and I don't trust myself to that on a trial run.

Not really a hole, tho. I also just noticed the rear bottom cushion has a similar 'rip' but not as long. I'll probably just visit an upholsterer...

Sockethead
06-16-2016, 10:02 AM
The cover is going to have to come off to fix that. I'd take it to an upholstery shop

san
06-16-2016, 05:07 PM
Leatherique Question -

The leather in my car is a bit dirty, so I thought its time I clean it. I know a lot of people recommend leatherique products so i just wanted to understand how it works.

First, I vacuum all of the leather to remove any large dust particles.
Next, I apply the rejuvinator oil over the leather and leave it where it gets lots of sunlight and after a while, I just wipe the product off with a soft cloth which should remove all the dirt, dust, etc etc, correct?
Next I apply the pristine clean on the leather correct?

Is this the right process? Have I missed anything? Thanks!

az3579
06-16-2016, 05:11 PM
Leatherique Question -

The leather in my car is a bit dirty, so I thought its time I clean it. I know a lot of people recommend leatherique products so i just wanted to understand how it works.

Next, I apply the rejuvinator oil over the leather and leave it where it gets lots of sunlight and after a while, I just wipe the product off with a soft cloth which should remove all the dirt, dust, etc etc, correct?

Rejuvenator oil - leave it on for as long as you can. A full day is enough, longer is better, as long as the car is HOT inside.
When done, you remove the excess with Pristine Clean. You will probably need multiple applications of Pristine Clean to get the tackiness to go away.
I like to wipe it off with a wet, damp cloth after using Pristine Clean.

san
06-16-2016, 05:53 PM
Rejuvenator oil - leave it on for as long as you can. A full day is enough, longer is better, as long as the car is HOT inside.
When done, you remove the excess with Pristine Clean. You will probably need multiple applications of Pristine Clean to get the tackiness to go away.
I like to wipe it off with a wet, damp cloth after using Pristine Clean.

Thanks BP!

BMWCurves
06-16-2016, 05:54 PM
Anyone know what bulb number this is? I believe it's 7443, but it could be 7440. It's from my front turn signal (coupe):

http://i.imgur.com/kaor74G.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/WnRz7aD.jpg

terraphantm
06-16-2016, 06:00 PM
Anyone know what bulb number this is? I believe it's 7443, but it could be 7440. It's from my front turn signal (coupe):

http://i.imgur.com/kaor74G.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/WnRz7aD.jpg

7440A or WY21W

das boots
06-16-2016, 07:17 PM
Leatherique Question -

Waiting for a good day and specially for my right ankle to heal from a sprain. Tissue damage. Needs lots of rest by not putting too much weight. Walking around with a crutch.

Dual
06-17-2016, 02:35 AM
Just had the expensive experience of my clip-on sunglasses skittering across the dash and down into a car-wide slot which exists between the windshield glass and the interior of the car. No slots or louvers, just a big wide trap for stuff.
:foottap
The clip-ons are probably down in the area behind the glove box. Can't see or feel them at all.

Is there a way to rescue them without tearing the interior apart?
Is there risk of something beyond the $100 clip-ons being damaged if they stay down there?

MrAdventure
06-17-2016, 04:32 AM

If you're still not sure, most stores like pep boys and autozone have a small device that you punch in your car info and it tells you...

fw_fw
06-17-2016, 05:51 AM
Just had the expensive experience of my clip-on sunglasses skittering across the dash and down into a car-wide slot which exists between the windshield glass and the interior of the car. No slots or louvers, just a big wide trap for stuff.
:foottap
The clip-ons are probably down in the area behind the glove box. Can't see or feel them at all.

Is there a way to rescue them without tearing the interior apart?
Is there risk of something beyond the $100 clip-ons being damaged if they stay down there?

Glove box drops pretty easy with 5-6 screws, several DIYs here and on other websites. There are fuses, relays, and PCBs behind that area of the glovebox so I'd do what I could to remove stray metal, i.e. clip-ons, to stop from messing things up

fredo
06-17-2016, 06:12 AM
When my nephew had his Buick Century, he dropped by mistake a checkbook behind the glove box (there's a small gap in between glove box and dash). We just let it there for some years.

To recover the checkbook, I broke the glove box just before the Buick was going to trade-in.

anandoc
06-17-2016, 06:43 AM

Here is a handy E46 bulb guide on E46F for future reference

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=16032140&postcount=29

BMWCurves
06-17-2016, 06:52 AM
7440A or WY21W

Perfect. I went ahead and ordered some 7440/7443 LEDs from eBay since I couldn't find any 7440A. We'll see what happens.

If you're still not sure, most stores like pep boys and autozone have a small device that you punch in your car info and it tells you...

Yeah, I thought about it, but I've had some issues with them before because of the facelift differences.

Here is a handy E46 bulb guide on E46F for future reference

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=16032140&postcount=29

Appreciate it! Definitely saving that.

terraphantm
06-17-2016, 07:09 AM
7440 non-A bulbs won't be amber.

BMWCurves
06-17-2016, 07:18 AM

Gotcha, didn't know that's what the A stood for. The eBay ad was specifically for amber bulbs, but listed them as 7440, so I'll see how that goes.

az3579
06-17-2016, 07:36 AM
Either that guide has misinformation or my car has always had the wrong bulbs in it from the getgo...
I've always had 1156 bulbs in the rear running lights (bottom row). 1156 are single contact - the guide calls for 1157, which is dual contact, and makes no sense since there's only a single metal contact at the bottom of the socket...

Only for the incandescent bulbs. The LED bulbs are all aftermarket, and they do not respect the A naming convention. Every LED amber bulb I've seen (aftermarket) just says the base bulb socket number, so in this case, just 7440 instead of 7440A. It was the same thing when I was looking for amber 1156 bulbs - none of the aftermarket LED options labeled it as 1156A. He should be fine with the LED 7440 amber bulbs he ordered. :thumbsup

das boots
06-17-2016, 07:36 AM
Perfect. I went ahead and ordered some 7440/7443 LEDs from eBay since I couldn't find any 7440A. We'll see what happens.

Yeah, I thought about it, but I've had some issues with them before because of the facelift differences.

Appreciate it! Definitely saving that.

Just go to Bimmian.com. All of your LEDs are right there. For me....better quality.

az3579
06-17-2016, 07:37 AM
Just go to Bimmian.com. All of your LEDs are right there. For me....better quality.

Their prices are astronomical for the same bulb you can get elsewhere.
Their Weisslicht Illustro H7 Flex bulbs that I bought for over $100 from Bimmian can be had elsewhere for anywhere between half that to 75% of that price. The Weisslicht fog light bulbs I bought also were about $100 - can be had for half that price as well elsewhere with similar quality.

BMWCurves
06-17-2016, 08:08 AM
Their prices are astronomical for the same bulb you can get elsewhere.
Their Weisslicht Illustro H7 Flex bulbs that I bought for over $100 from Bimmian can be had elsewhere for anywhere between half that to 75% of that price. The Weisslicht fog light bulbs I bought also were about $100 - can be had for half that price as well elsewhere with similar quality.

That was my feeling. If these don't work out, worst case is I'm $17 out of pocket.

stephenkirsh
06-17-2016, 10:37 AM
Is removing passenger seat as easy as 4 bolts and electronic connector?

I'm looking to reduce weight at track day.

az3579
06-17-2016, 11:04 AM
Is removing passenger seat as easy as 4 bolts and electronic connector?

I'm looking to reduce weight at track day.

Well... yes, but you'll trigger an airbag light.

MrAdventure
06-17-2016, 11:23 AM

Before you do it, is this a track school or just pure track days? Be certain you won't have to have an instructor at any time before you remove it!

stephenkirsh
06-17-2016, 01:52 PM
Before you do it, is this a track school or just pure track days? Be certain you won't have to have an instructor at any time before you remove it!

Just HPDE NASA. I've been signed off for no instructors.

stephenkirsh
06-17-2016, 01:53 PM

Oh... Is that easily reset?

Don't people have non-OEM seats in their street cars? Do they just ignore the light?