PDA

View Full Version : snap crackle pop goes my rear suspension

midlandtech
01-16-2014, 07:12 AM
Hello guys and gals. I have recently noticed a popping noise when entering and exiting my driveway (its a slight incline) the noise is on the drivers side as near as I can tell. Anyone have any ideas?

danewilson77
01-16-2014, 07:22 AM
RSM

But I would also inspect the suspension coil, and RTAB's.

midlandtech
01-16-2014, 07:55 AM
Dane what is an RSM? I had coils out last weekend when raising the suspension back up and they seemed fine. I will check the RTABs tonight.

edit RSM = rear shock mount?

danewilson77
01-16-2014, 08:00 AM
Dane what is an RSM? I had coils out last weekend when raising the suspension back up and they seemed fine. I will check the RTABs tonight.

edit RSM = rear shock mount?

Yep. You got it.

midlandtech
01-16-2014, 08:01 AM
sweet I will start digging to find out whats going on.

NorCalZman
01-16-2014, 08:54 AM
Can you please let us know what you find? I have found that my car "pops" when coming to a stop (weight shifting related I think), and also sometimes when going over speed bumps. I can hear it in the car, like the sounds comes through the body. I think our issues might be related so I am very interested. Mine will have to go to a shop to get fixed since I cant work on it on an almost verticle city street. hah.

danewilson77
01-16-2014, 09:06 AM
Front suspension items will make sounds as well, if worn badly.

HokieZHP
01-16-2014, 09:21 AM
How loud is it? Could be swaybar end link. That's what my popping sound was

Johnmadd
01-16-2014, 09:28 AM
Diff mount is also a possibility but the rsm and endlinks are more likely.

NorCalZman
01-16-2014, 09:58 AM
Diff mount is also a possibility but the remember and endlinks are more likely.

what is "remember"?

Is there a easy way to test the endlinks? If there is movement or something? Mine is decently loud. And I swear I can feel it though my feet on the floor. I will be coming to a stop at a stop sign and as I am almost stopped I hear/feel "pop.....pop"

Hope you dont mind me asking further questions, OP. Dont want to threadjack!

midlandtech
01-16-2014, 10:05 AM
How loud is it? Could be swaybar end link. That's what my popping sound was
sounds like a metal on metal thud with little resonance coming mostly from the drivers side rear. I will add endlinks to the list... fronts are new rears are not

Diff mount is also a possibility but the remember and endlinks are more likely.
I seem to remember when getting my PPI there being mention that the Diff mount may need addressed down the line... perhaps I have hit that point in said line.

...no worries about thread jacking if it the thread helps others its all the better

Smolck
01-16-2014, 11:14 AM
When my control arm ball joint went bad (I mean REALLY bad) it made the same popping noise when going in my driveway too. I'd suspect ball joints on the control arms. Videos of it on my youtube page

derbo
01-16-2014, 11:45 AM
My coilover springs are short, and somewhat loose when the rear is elevated. I experience a pop when the spring reseats itself in the coilover perch when going up a driveway. It maybe something to look at like Dane said.

Otherwise loose endlinks/bolts possibly.

mimalmo
01-16-2014, 11:53 AM
Hello guys and gals. I have recently noticed a popping noise when entering and exiting my driveway (its a slight incline) the noise is on the drivers side as near as I can tell. Anyone have any ideas?

Did you get your subframe inspected by the dealer? Worth doing to rule out worst case scenario.

midlandtech
01-16-2014, 12:05 PM
Did you get your subframe inspected by the dealer? Worth doing to rule out worst case scenario.

I did have it looked at before purchase. Perhaps if I cannot fix the problem I will have it re-inspected

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Smolck
01-16-2014, 03:42 PM
I did have it looked at before purchase. Perhaps if I cannot fix the problem I will have it re-inspected

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

All you need is a flashlight and a jack to inspect it. The likelyhood of it being that is ZERO. I had a destroyed subframe on my 323 and it doesn't make a pop. It makes a horrible metal rubbing metal sound.

Here is what my subframe looked like when removed.....