PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready to order a few parts for my car. Just wondering what are running on ur car?

STREETFIGHTER50
01-12-2014, 08:16 PM
My car has 81k on it. I'm gonna order all my cooling system parts & install my suspension soon. I've searched the forums & it looks like everyone is running an OEM replacement water pump with composite impeller or Stewarts if u have the coin for it... As for suspension, I have my Koni Yellows & H&R Race springs BNIB ready to go. Theres so many choices as far as rear shock mounts.:facepalm

What water pump are u running?
What aluminum water pump pulley? I'd like to replace the plastic one. Are underdrives worth it??
Are any of the tensioner pulley kits I see on eBay decent?
Which of the 2 shock mounts did u choose? Rougue or Turners? Is there anything new/better out there for $100??

Avetiso
01-12-2014, 08:27 PM
OEM pumps are a great choice. You can buy the Stewart pump if you want it to last longer, but whether or not it's worth it is up to you.

Any water pump pulley from a reputable company should be fine, like ECS or Turner.

About underdrive pulleys: there is debate about this, but I don't think they are worth it. Some people think they are. Maybe someone can link you some threads, or you could run a search and find some info.

Buy OEM tensioners. Do not buy knockoff tensioners off eBay.

I haven't done any suspension work, so someone else can comment on shock mounts.

Avetiso
01-12-2014, 08:29 PM
As far as other maintenance: Rebuild your VANOS and your DISA, and install new spark plugs. Maybe get a new fuel filter, too.

STREETFIGHTER50
01-12-2014, 09:01 PM
I know underdrive pulleys are really worth it on all my Stangs I've had :) I will look into the VANOS. My DISA valve is brand new along with iridium plugs as of 12/26/13. Also, new fuel pump, relay, & fuel filter were installed at 65k miles.

Hermes
01-12-2014, 09:09 PM
If you run an underdrive pulley make sure to get the Stewart pump. I have turner pulleys and a Stewart pump and it runs at the stock temp. Without the Stewart pump I think it might run slightly warmer

STREETFIGHTER50
01-13-2014, 01:03 AM
Y'all running underdrives. Any issues with electrical/lights dimming at idle?

Hermes
01-13-2014, 01:15 AM

Nope. If you're worried there are kits without an alternator pulley, just water pump and power steering pump

wsmeyer
01-13-2014, 07:26 AM

I'm running the Turner kit and I have zero issues / dimming. The bump in power is almost imperceptible but just getting rid of the plastic pulleys was enough of an excuse for me.

LivesNearCostco
01-13-2014, 07:38 AM
I have underdrive pulleys including on the alternator. No issues with lights dimming, but sometimes my passenger side HID doesn't ignite, especially if the car has already warmed up and is idling at 600RPM. Not sure if that's due to the underdrive pulley or a sketchy ignitor. Watching the OBC voltage monitor, it seems that the alternator voltage is a little low at warm idle if I turn on several accessories (like radio, blower fan, and headlights). Voltage returns to normal once you accelerate to 1000 RPM or so. No cooling issues but I believe my car has the Stewart pump. DynoJet dyno says I got between 4 and 5 RWHP from the pulleys around 6000RPM.

Most underdrive pulley sets for our cars have only two pulleys--water pump and power steering. The 3-pulley sets offer an "audiophile" option where the alternator pulley is the same size as stock.

johnrando
01-13-2014, 07:39 AM
I'm running the Turner kit and I have zero issues / dimming. The bump in power is almost imperceptible but just getting rid of the plastic pulleys was enough of an excuse for me.

Same here. Maybe the engine has a very slight feeling of easier power at mid-to-high revs, but I wouldn't swear to that in court.

alexandre
01-13-2014, 08:01 AM
Shock mounts - I just replaced my entire rear suspension with OEM parts. Are you looking to go OEM or install something aftermarket ? If going OEM, buy either 33521092362 (non-M) or 33526779670 (M3). Lemfoerder is the OEM manufacturer, $30ish for the pair. I went with M3 mounts and they're more than stiff enough for me, but of course opinions differ. Consider installing reinforcement plates as well - PN #51718413359.

Sorry for the newb question but can somebody enlighten me on what is an underdrive pulley and what purpose it serves ?

johnrando
01-13-2014, 08:12 AM
It's supposed to lighten the load on the engine. Instead of industrial size large pulleys for the masses, these are smaller and therefore supposed to free up the engine using less energy, kinda like using a different gear on your bike. That's the non-scientific explanation.

ELCID86
01-13-2014, 08:17 AM
Sorry for the newb question but can somebody enlighten me on what is an underdrive pulley and what purpose it serves ?
Two examples:
http://www.bavauto.com/se1.asp?dept_id=385

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/c-129-bmw-underdrive-power-pulleys.aspx

Stu
01-13-2014, 09:01 AM
I have the Graf pump. No problems to report. It's been running great since installing it. It's spot-welded which makes it look cheap, but don't let it fool you: it's a very well-made part.

I'd love to get a Stewart pump.

LivesNearCostco
01-13-2014, 09:27 AM
Underdrive pulleys are larger than stock if on the accessories (water pump, PS pump, sometimes alternator) but smaller if put on the crankshaft. Like on your bicycle, larger gear in bank makes pedaling easier, while larger gear in front (the crank) makes pedaling harder but you go faster. Either way it's to make the accessories spin more slowly, robbing less power from the engine. Underdrive pulleys are sometimes also lighter than stock.

webster
01-13-2014, 03:22 PM
i have the Rogue pulleys and Stewart pump. ~2 years and over 10k miles on them with no issues. small butt dyno gains, not sure if there's any actual HP increase

johnrando
01-13-2014, 05:47 PM
BTW, for RSMs I think I have Rougue, not sure if there's really a difference but someone recommended those. I got a Stewart Pump but I've yet to install it.