PDA

View Full Version : Question Regarding Sale of an M54B30

Avetiso
12-06-2013, 07:59 PM
So, I have my parts car. It has an M54B30 with 109.5k miles. I've been trying to sell the engine for a while now (it even has it's own thread on E46F). Problem is, I can't start it. No key, harness it chopped up, etc. Can't be done unless it's transferred to another car.

Anyway, is there any way to check on the health of the engine without starting it? I have manually cranked the engine a few revs and it's not stuck or anything like that.

The DISA flap broke off when I removed it from the manifold.

The engine is covered in oil. The entire oil pan is covered in wet oil. The front is covered in DRY oil (around where are the pullies are). I think that oil is from the power steering tank that was smashed.

Anyway. That's where I'm at.

First question: How serious are these issues, and how large of an effect can they have on what I can ask for the engine?

Second: How can I test to at least get some idea of the engine is mechanically without starting it?

Third: What can I reasonably ask for the engine? It will come with everything attached to it (headers, alternator, WP, power steering, etc).

Thanks in advance. Any advice is appreciated, and if anyone is interested, let me know.

Hermes
12-06-2013, 10:36 PM
My buddy bought a full working engine for $1500 maybe 2 months ago to give you a frame of reference. You could check compression to get an idea of how good the engine is, but without being able to start it I don't know

3 - if everything is included I can see $2k as a reasonable price

Have you pulled the engine or is it still in the car? If you pulled it, clean it up so it's more enticing for prospective buyers. I would drop the pan and change the gasket, it won't cost you much and will give a buyer some peace of mind

Avetiso
12-06-2013, 11:14 PM
My buddy bought a full working engine for $1500 maybe 2 months ago to give you a frame of reference. You could check compression to get an idea of how good the engine is, but without being able to start it I don't know

3 - if everything is included I can see $2k as a reasonable price

Have you pulled the engine or is it still in the car? If you pulled it, clean it up so it's more enticing for prospective buyers. I would drop the pan and change the gasket, it won't cost you much and will give a buyer some peace of mind
Hmm, that's not a bad idea. Makes more sense to pull it out and clean it up, fix some gaskets, and get more money out of it.

Shoot, I'm only asking $1000 for everything and nobody wanted it.

Hermes
12-06-2013, 11:31 PM
If you were closer I would totally buy it for that price and put it in my E21

toddness
12-07-2013, 12:26 AM
Couldn't Jordan use this in his 323iT?

Lanister
12-07-2013, 01:01 AM
Definitely clean it up if you can and take a load of pictures of it. As JP pointed out, compression test is a big indicator.

Hornung418
12-07-2013, 06:18 AM
Take a drill and turn the crank. That should allow you to test compression without having the car turn on its own.

Sent from my GS3.

Johal E32
12-07-2013, 09:24 AM
Couldn't Jordan use this in his 323iT?

I really want to! Just trying to save some money ATM haha.

Wouldn't I need to convert my car to electronic throttle?

GLWS Dario, for $1k thats a awesome price. Just be patient

Vas
12-07-2013, 09:30 AM
Compression and leak down test for starters. Pull the valve cover off and see how it looks under there.

Clean it up as well and fix the leaks.

Avetiso
12-07-2013, 10:39 AM
I guess I'll be working the engine myself instead of selling it in the condition it's in.

Thanks guys.

az3579
12-07-2013, 11:29 AM
My BMW tech friend says that you can hook up a starter button directly to the starter and engage the starter enough to be able to run a compression test on it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Avetiso
12-07-2013, 11:43 AM
My BMW tech friend says that you can hook up a starter button directly to the starter and engage the starter enough to be able to run a compression test on it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Can you get some details on how that can be done?

MrMaico
12-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Can you get some details on how that can be done?

Basically, you just need something like this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Push-Button-Remote-Starter-Switch-Engine-Diagnosis-12-Volt-Test-Tool-/370925876200

And a heavy gauge wire from a battery to the large positive connection on the starter solenoid and a ground wire connected somewhere on the engine. If you have some old battery cables off of a parts car you could use those. The starter button gets connected to one of the small terminals on the solenoid.

Dave1027
12-07-2013, 05:37 PM
I'm pretty sure you can simply hook a car battery to the starter with jumper cables to crank it.