PDA

View Full Version : screw in wheel came loose causing horn to stick ON

NorCalZman
11-11-2013, 11:11 AM
I couldn't find a thread on here about this so I thought I would make it in case anyone had their horn just start blaring, but I also had another clue something was amiss. Around 7AM this morning I was getting home from dropping someone off at the airport, I was turning into my neighborhood and I heard something moving around in the wheel. Strange, I thought. I will look into it when I get home. Then I am backing into my space turning the wheel and all of a sudden WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Not the sound you want coming from your car on a quiet residential street at 7am. I frantically turn the wheel left and right until I find a spot where it'll stop and stay off, and came inside to do research.

I found this youtube video telling me exactly what it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hit_xLR_T4

And this thread will help me figure out how to take the airbag out:
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5432-Airbag-removal&highlight=airbag

At least this happened when I had the day off and had time to take care of it.

cakM3
11-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Yeah, I had that happen to me in the ///M as well a few years ago. Very embarrassing when people are looking at you driving a BMW and the horn is going off :facepalm

Stu
11-11-2013, 11:25 AM
This has to be in the top 10 list of crappy things that could happen on a Monday morning.

WolfBMW
11-11-2013, 11:48 AM
Haha, that's kind of funny to picture but also awful, I'm glad you got it figured out!

johnrando
11-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Glad it was an easy fix.

NorCalZman
11-11-2013, 11:57 AM
Glad it was an easy fix.

I haven't tried fixing it yet, but yes it looks straightforward. When I get home from the gym I will disconnect the battery and let it sit for an hour before poking around the airbag.

johnrando
11-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Ah. The airbag thing is easy. And, maybe wait 15 minutes, you don't need a hour. I've done this (removed the airbag) at least 6 times. After you do it once, it's a no brainer. Just make sure to angle the screw driver toward the inside of the car, feel for that steel spring, and push it. You might want to kinda do one side (but not fully out), then the other, then back to the first side. It's a little easier sometimes if one side isn't full out. When putting in back in, do the same. Kinda click in each side, then just push/punch the center to fully seat it.

NorCalZman
11-11-2013, 12:52 PM
Oh there is release holes on both ends of the wheel? I was feeling behind the wheel and only felt one. Thanks. I would have been pulling after only releasing one side.

NorCalZman
11-11-2013, 03:58 PM
Found the screw! Getting those springs unlocked was a bit of a pain but it only took about 5 minutes.

So how do I remove the 2 connectors? I have tried a few things, Bentley doesn't seem to say and I don't want to pry on anything too hard because I'm finding threads of people breaking them. Feather touch ya know?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/12/du7uza4u.jpg

NorCalZman
11-11-2013, 04:20 PM
I got it. Have to pry up on the flat plane of the connector

danewilson77
11-11-2013, 04:21 PM
You have to flip, wiggle and pull at the same time.

One handed with a beer in the other hand of course.

Sent from my S4 > Mason, OH

johnrando
11-11-2013, 05:11 PM
Yup. Sorry I didn't see this earlier... pry up.

Stu
11-12-2013, 05:37 AM
One handed with a beer in the other hand of course.

+1

There really is no other way to work on your car. Why do you think mechanics charge so much for labor? Beer's expensive!