PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Ever Used VAC?

Junior2552
10-29-2013, 03:59 PM
These guys are a few hours away from me in Philly, PA. They offer A LOT of modifications for all sorts of Beamers. Stroker kits for the S54, turbo and supercharger applications, etc. However, one of the coolest things I saw that they offered was their performance cylinder heads.

http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac---m52tu--m54-stage-3-performace-cylinder-head-p2342.aspx

The M54 stage 3 cylinder heads are "capable of making 155 horsepower per liter." That's quite a lot out of an all-motor car. You can spend $3,600 for a full top end rebuild sent to your door with an amazing valvetrain, or you can spend $6,800 at ESS or Vortech for a supercharger. I'm almost inclined to do an M54 all-motor build through VAC just to see what happens.

The cylinder heads and other modifications they offer are all forced induction friendly, which was my original plan for the winter; an ESS TS2 after an Inspection 2 and VANOS refresh (I'm at 78k).

Anybody ever use these guys or have any info on these cylinder heads? I did a lot of trolling, but didn't see a whole lot of information on these "all-motor" builds. It's more or less a bunch of threads complaining that the cars only make power based on forced induction or some bolt-ons.

Clearly not the case. Discuss?

Hermes
10-29-2013, 04:13 PM
They're exact words are "many of our cylinder heads are capable of 120-155 hp per liter" - I don't think they are referring to the m54 head. I can see maybe 40hp bump, no way is this alone gonna give you 230 more hp than stock

Junior2552
10-29-2013, 05:01 PM
I don't think I suggested that they did.

Sorry for the ambiguity. I was more or less questioning the capability of the platform. With a head like that, there's some solid gains to be made. Is it going to be 130whp? No, but for the money spent, it could be a peppy build and a helpful modification for future applications. I know their S54 heads make some pretty solid power. There's youtube videos for those. Stupid //M motors.

328ioc
10-29-2013, 05:10 PM

Sorry for the ambiguity. I was more or less questioning the capability of the platform. With a head like that, there's some solid gains to be made. Is it going to be 130whp? No, but for the money spent, it could be a peppy build and a helpful modification for future applications. I know their S54 heads make some pretty solid power. There's youtube videos for those. Stupid //M motors.

Personally I would give it a shot if I had the money because in my personal opinion the best thing about all of the great BMW is that they are all motor.

All motor is just the traditional BMW way in my mind.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

M0nk3y
10-29-2013, 06:06 PM
They are a main location for LSD and diffs...well known in the racing industry.

One day I'll be going to them for a 128i LSD swap. They know their stuff.

danewilson77
10-29-2013, 06:39 PM

You said M54, no?

Sent from my S4 > Mason, OH

Hermes
10-29-2013, 08:09 PM
They are a main location for LSD and diffs...well known in the racing industry.

One day I'll be going to them for a 128i LSD swap. They know their stuff.

I will be going to them for full tubular front suspension for the E21

Junior2552
10-30-2013, 03:29 AM
You said M54, no?

Sent from my S4 > Mason, OH

Yes sir. I suppose after reading it again, it looks like I'm suggesting that a a "Stage 3" head from VAC is the equivalent of an ESS or comparable supercharger. That's not what I meant, haha. I was just thinking out loud.

Personally I would give it a shot if I had the money because in my personal opinion the best thing about all of the great BMW is that they are all motor.

All motor is just the traditional BMW way in my mind.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
That was my other thought; BMWs are an all-motor car. I think an NA "build" would be pretty cool and probably make the car pretty quick, and there is always room for forced induction in the future. But, for $7k, it raises the age-old question of, are you going to spend that kind of money for 90-120 whp?

I debate this day in and day out. I feel like for that kind of money, my car better be up in numbers significantly more than before. Example: the ESS TS3 kit (as opposed to TS1/2) makes ~450whp with a lower compression piston from ESS. That's a full refresh. I would end up spending $7k to boost a motor with almost 80k on it. It's a healthy motor, but I don't want to HAVE to buy a TS3 because I blew up on TS2 :grooving

Junior2552
10-30-2013, 03:31 AM
Hermes- that sounds phenomenal....

Monkey- the only reason I ran across them the FIRST time was for an LSD, then they were suggested again for internals.

Sockethead
12-03-2013, 08:44 AM
Kpro got her OS Giken diff installed there. They really took care of us. We took a tour of their facility and met some of the machinists and assemblers. All top notch people there. They'll work with you on custom stuff too.
They've in the same location in Philly for like, 30 years

Smolck
12-03-2013, 08:50 AM
I have inquired about them. According to them, on a ZHP you could expect 30hp increase with their stage 2 head and a set of slightly more aggressive cams (like the ones TMS used on their project ZHP).

I am desperately trying to find the funds to buy one of these stage 2 heads when my motor gets replaced. But with the cost of the core engine and the head I'd be well over $4000 total. May have to put it on my "LOOOOONG" term list of mods.

UdubBadger
12-03-2013, 09:16 AM
Good to know I plan on doing business with them this spring ;)

Goin' HAM mobile

Junior2552
12-04-2013, 10:58 AM
Good to know I plan on doing business with them this spring ;)

Goin' HAM mobile

I haven't heard anything bad about them. Their customer service game needs a little fixin', but it could be worse; they're a race team, not a retail outlet.

Smolck, for some reason, I thought about it and just can't get behind dumping that kind of money into an M54 and getting maybe 30whp. Is it a good gain? Sure. Is it worth it for tearing apart an engine? To me, not so much. Some stuff came up and I'm still deciding if I even want to keep my ZHP, so let me know if you decide to buy the head; nobody has any reviews for it.

derbo
12-04-2013, 12:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYeL9dGLxCI

Ill just leave this right here..

Junior2552
12-04-2013, 01:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYeL9dGLxCI

Ill just leave this right here..

Haha go home, Derbo.

I wish they would put up some regular 330 videos. :blink

derbo
12-04-2013, 04:14 PM
:cry

Junior2552
12-05-2013, 04:33 AM
:cry

We're the forgotten.

Sockethead
12-05-2013, 12:07 PM
Yea they don't do too much with e46 unless its an M3....

Junior2552
12-06-2013, 04:51 AM
Yea they don't do too much with e46 unless its an M3....

Haters gonna hate. I just like to believe that we're the more sophisticated of the BMW owners.

When in reality, none of us could afford an M3, haha.