PDA

View Full Version : (feeler closed, discussion open) Euro LCM Faceplates

JupiterBMW
10-13-2013, 06:04 PM
Recently, I posted a couple of little projects I've been working on, one of which being the rear fog mod. When this was posted, many of you inquired about getting the Euro faceplate so you too could enable this option. Simply put, this Euro faceplate and some quick coding is all that's needed for the rear foglight mod.

So, this thread is for you to post if you would for sure be interested. I have already sourced a few of these, and I have a good connection with a parts yard in the UK, so I can potentially get more. I am unsure of pricing yet, but I'd like to gauge interest and then I will post again with just how many faceplates I can get.

So, if you're interested, post up and let me know which of the two following models you would like to have (the difference being that one has the 'auto' lights position, and one does not).

Once I get an idea of how many are wanted, I'll see what I can do. Hoping to connect my fellow Mafiosos with a fairly cheap and easy mod! :thumbsup

1. Euro LCM with 'auto' light option.
http://i.imgur.com/i7cyAl.jpg

2. Euro LCM without 'auto' light option.
http://www.nilberg.net/bmw/mods/lcm.jpg

Lanister
10-13-2013, 06:06 PM
This doesn't apply to Coupes right, Jon?

JupiterBMW
10-13-2013, 06:07 PM
Yes, as far as I know, it applies to all cars. I do not have a coupe at my disposal to verify this though, and therefore I cannot make any guarantees.

JupiterBMW
10-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Yes, as far as I know, it applies to all cars. I do not have a coupe at my disposal to verify this though, and therefore I cannot make any guarantees.

On second though, my neighbor has an E46 vert, perhaps I could ask him to let me mess around on his car. I could throw my faceplate onto his car, code it, and see if it works. If so, then that's that...

I've never met him though, so that could be somewhat awkward. Hahah... "Hi there, my name is Jon. Can I plug my laptop into your car and modify it... after I change some parts out of course?"

Avetiso
10-13-2013, 06:10 PM
Might be interested in a non auto faceplate. Pending cost.

Lanister
10-13-2013, 06:10 PM
It would be cool if someone could report on that. :)

I probably should have given it a go but too late :)

JupiterBMW
10-13-2013, 06:19 PM
Might be interested in a non auto faceplate. Pending cost.

The reason I'm posting this thread is that I'm going to try and buy in bulk and hopefully save everyone some money. I spent over $100 for my Euro LCM, just to have the faceplate, and if I can order in bulk and get them cheaper than that, I'd like to try and do that.

JupiterBMW
10-13-2013, 06:23 PM
I don't think there's a difference.

And something else I should've mentioned. Cost for either one will be the same. Availability will be the tough part.

wsmeyer
10-13-2013, 06:23 PM
In for one with auto headlights

BCS_ZHP
10-13-2013, 06:31 PM
Jon,
So is rear fogs kind of like the Volvos back in the 90's where it looked like the rear brake lights were on until they actually hit the brakes and it got even brighter?

JupiterBMW
10-13-2013, 06:34 PM
Jon,
So is rear fogs kind of like the Volvos back in the 90's where it looked like the rear brake lights were on until they actually hit the brakes and it got even brighter?

No, with the rear fog light on, the left outer tail light bulb will be illuminated brighter than the normal taillights. When you step on the brakes, the brake lights will come on.

iPhone 5S. Tapatalk Pro. BOOM

BCS_ZHP
10-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Ok, thanks for the explanation

Hornung418
10-13-2013, 06:50 PM
In for number 1.

KevinC
10-13-2013, 08:13 PM
In for auto version.

BavarianZHP
10-13-2013, 08:39 PM
Don't we have to code in the vin and such so the tamper dot doesn't appear? If it's just plug and play sign me up for one without Auto Lights ('03 Sedan if that matters).... Also what particular software version LCM vX.X would it have? I haven't delved into the research, but from skimming the top it seems we need a certain version to code in triple blink and such? I apologize if my inquires are trivial (probably). Thanks Jup!

Lanister
10-13-2013, 08:42 PM
I believe that Jon is only talking about the faceplates and not the entire LCM. You do need LCM software version 4.0 or higher to have triple blink.

BavarianZHP
10-13-2013, 08:48 PM
Ok thanks, this makes complete sense now (and I now feel like an idiot :)). Unfortunately I don't have 4.0, so the face plate won't do me much.

JupiterBMW
10-14-2013, 01:16 AM
Ok thanks, this makes complete sense now (and I now feel like an idiot :)). Unfortunately I don't have 4.0, so the face plate won't do me much.

Well the faceplate will work if you want the rear foglight mod. If all you care to get is triple blink then yes, you need SW 4.0 or higher.

PirateZHP
10-14-2013, 04:10 AM
I'm in if we can get a good group buy. No auto-lights for me.

How difficult is it to find an LCM w sw 4.0? (general question for anyone)

JupiterBMW
10-14-2013, 05:04 AM
I'm in if we can get a good group buy. No auto-lights for me.

How difficult is it to find an LCM w sw 4.0? (general question for anyone)

I am working on those too, they will not be a euro option.

PirateZHP
10-14-2013, 05:07 AM
I am working on those too, they will not be a euro option.

But we would still be able to use the euro faceplate with the 4.0 lcm, right?

JupiterBMW
10-14-2013, 06:19 AM
But we would still be able to use the euro faceplate with the 4.0 lcm, right?

Yes, that is what I'm currently running. US LCM with SW 4.0 and a Euro faceplate, enabling the rear fog.

johnrando
10-14-2013, 06:36 AM
Do you happen to have a pic of what your rear fog on looks like? If not handy, no worries.

JupiterBMW
10-14-2013, 06:37 AM
Do you happen to have a pic of what your rear fog on looks like? If not handy, no worries.

I will get a video actually. There are pics in my project thread, but a nighttime video is really needed. I'm detailing a friends car (POS Toyota Highlander) and so my car is there. Tonight I will post a video.

wsmeyer
10-14-2013, 06:53 AM

It's like the auto up on the rear windows. You'll rarely use it but once you know the feature is there you just don't have a button to turn it on, it will gnaw at you till you get the faceplate.

cakM3
10-14-2013, 06:55 AM
Jon,

I'd be interested in getting this faceplate for my LCM...

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/Library2/i7cyAl_zpsd9236c7f.jpg

Let me know if you can source one or two! :thumbsup

johnrando
10-14-2013, 07:13 AM
I will get a video actually. There are pics in my project thread, but a nighttime video is really needed. I'm detailing a friends car (POS Toyota Highlander) and so my car is there. Tonight I will post a video.

Thanks Joop!

It's like the auto up on the rear windows. You'll rarely use it but once you know the feature is there you just don't have a button to turn it on, it will gnaw at you till you get the faceplate.

LOL, I believe that. I wish it was something like $30 though. I may actually have to pass at $100 for something I'll likely never actually use. Gonna do some more thinking on it.

derbo
10-14-2013, 03:21 PM
I'm in for an auto one.

We should totally make a list.

I noticed the non-auto with no leveler seems to be pretty rare.

JupiterBMW
10-15-2013, 06:19 PM
Ok, so my count is roughly 8 with auto lights (that's including all you fence riders) and 3 without auto lights...

Ok, will make some phone calls in the morning... Yay for overseas calling costs... :facepalm

JupiterBMW
10-15-2013, 06:31 PM
And for those interested, here's a quick video of my rear lights. I apologize, its not the best quality video, but at least you can see some stuff in action. First, the taillights come on. From there, I kick on the front fogs, and then the Euro rear fog. I think kick on the hazards, coded to the double impulse (Euro flash). I also step on the brakes, just so you can see how it all looks together. Again, the video quality isn't perfect, so I apologize. But, check it out anyway...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt8EYqrIiSQ&list=HL1381890755

JupiterBMW
10-15-2013, 06:34 PM
Geez, now that I've watched the video, I feel like I need to take a new one. The angle shot (camera on the mailbox) doesn't really show the lighting too well. And I need to take the videos in HD...

I will update tomorrow...

danewilson77
10-15-2013, 06:44 PM
Neat video Joop. Tough to see rear fogs as mentioned.

Sent from my S4 > Mason, OH

JupiterBMW
10-15-2013, 06:45 PM
Yeah, its a lot brighter, i think the video angle throws it off...

danewilson77
10-15-2013, 06:46 PM
Yeah, its a lot brighter, i think the video angle throws it off...

Most likely.

derbo
10-15-2013, 06:50 PM
I feel like we should have both taillights set to euro fog lol

sent from my mobile device

JupiterBMW
10-15-2013, 06:52 PM
I feel like we should have both taillights set to euro fog lol

In SF, yeah probably...

derbo
10-15-2013, 06:53 PM
When you can barely see 3feet in front of you, it warrants it loll

az3579
10-15-2013, 07:41 PM
I am interested in option 1 as long as it's the exact type pictured (without manual headlight leveling). Price is also a big factor, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

johnrando
10-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Put me down for an option 1 depending on price. I won't be going a hundy on this option. Did you ever get the other video? BTW, thanks again for doing this.

Johnmadd
10-16-2013, 04:47 AM
Put me down for an option 1 depending on price. I won't be going a hundy on this option. Did you ever get the other video? BTW, thanks again for doing this.

This for me also, +1 depending on price.

derbo
10-16-2013, 10:23 PM
Joop,

what do you expect the price is going be around? I don't mind if you estimate the higher cost. I assume highest would be $150

JupiterBMW
10-17-2013, 12:16 AM
Joop,

what do you expect the price is going be around? I don't mind if you estimate the higher cost. I assume highest would be $150

Yeah no higher than that for sure. I sent them an email yesterday, so we'll see what they say.

derbo
10-20-2013, 10:54 AM
Joop,

In the video, is it the outer tailight that is turning on and off not the inner?

JupiterBMW
10-20-2013, 11:00 AM
Joop,

In the video, is it the outer tailight that is turning on and off not the inner?

It is the "middle" bulb on that bottom row... It's the inner bulb in the main taillight, not the trunk light...

derbo
10-20-2013, 11:18 AM
Ahh I see. Is there an option for the trunk one?

sent from a Moto X

JupiterBMW
10-20-2013, 11:23 AM
Ahh I see. Is there an option for the trunk one?

sent from a Moto X

I haven't been able to figure it out. I have a couple euro LCMs laying around, maybe I should try one of them.

derbo
10-20-2013, 11:39 AM
I haven't been able to figure it out. I have a couple euro LCMs laying around, maybe I should try one of them.

I was hoping for a rear inner just like the euro. Ill start looking into it too. Im sure Terra knows.

sent from a Moto X

JupiterBMW
10-20-2013, 11:40 AM
I was hoping for a rear inner just like the euro. Ill start looking into it too. Im sure Terra knows.

sent from a Moto X

Yeah at the moment I'm not too worried. I haven't used it once.

Devlin on the other hand is a rear foglight whore.

JupiterBMW
10-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Ok so I just programmed and coded one of my spare LCMs. The same bulb was still lighting as the rear fog light... Interestingly enough, trunk mounted bulbs were the ones that illuminuted as tail lights. I didn't spend too much time on it, but part of me thinks that something may be wired differently between the euro cars and the US cars, in terms of the actual wiring.

Devlin and I had a similar issue when trying to code his new LCM and rear fog. I ended up having to dump my car's file onto his LCM... Eventually we made it happen.

For the effort and whatnot, I think it's best to just enjoy the mod as it is... Unless you really want to spend a lot of time trying to decipher the differences.

derbo
10-20-2013, 12:56 PM
Yeah at the moment I'm not too worried. I haven't used it once.

Devlin on the other hand is a rear foglight whore.

LOL waiting on Devlin to chime in on this. Jon, my curiosity is more to figure out how to get the inner tailights to work. I'll keep searching. It probably has to do with the *_NRL options.

JupiterBMW
10-20-2013, 04:06 PM
LOL waiting on Devlin to chime in on this. Jon, my curiosity is more to figure out how to get the inner tailights to work. I'll keep searching. It probably has to do with the *_NRL options.

The inner taillights to work or to work as rear fog lights?

derbo
10-20-2013, 04:14 PM
The inner taillights to work or to work as rear fog lights?

Yup. Trying to keep as OEM euro as possible.

sent from a Moto X

JupiterBMW
10-20-2013, 06:01 PM
Ahh ok, well, I've been looking and coding and looking some more, and I haven't figured it out at all...

In other news, I looked into coding the Euro LCMs I have today, no such luck... My car is an LCM coding whore...

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/jdinisio/IMG_1435.jpg (http://s88.photobucket.com/user/jdinisio/media/IMG_1435.jpg.html)

Hornung418
10-20-2013, 06:05 PM
Terra says you need to change the country code in order to get the inner bulbs to activate as the fogs.

JupiterBMW
10-20-2013, 06:07 PM
Yeah, I tried that a few times.. Maybe I'll look into it again. Honestly, I'm finding it hard to find time to code and play around with it...

Hornung418
10-20-2013, 06:14 PM
Send him a PM. He should know the proper lines to edit.

Sent from my GS3.

derbo
10-21-2013, 12:46 AM
Looking through a list of options,

http://www.lindvigs.com/obioban/FSW_PSW.pdf

PIN29_30_BL_NSL nicht_active -> active

Do you think its this one? I'll have to wait till you can source a EURO faceplate for me, Joop before I can help lol.

JupiterBMW
10-21-2013, 01:35 AM
Looking through a list of options,

http://www.lindvigs.com/obioban/FSW_PSW.pdf

PIN29_30_BL_NSL nicht_active -> active

Do you think its this one? I'll have to wait till you can source a EURO faceplate for me, Joop before I can help lol.

I will check and report back. I forgot all about that list Derek, but I have it on my laptop, so I'll look through it and see what I can find!

To be continued....

Hornung418
10-21-2013, 07:39 AM
I found a thread on BF.c started by Delmarco and the last post is from terra in 2010 stating that LCI e46 don't need to run wires or anything. It's just a recoding assignment.

Sent from my GS3.

derbo
10-21-2013, 08:33 AM
I found a thread on BF.c started by Delmarco and the last post is from terra in 2010 stating that LCI e46 don't need to run wires or anything. It's just a recoding assignment.

Sent from my GS3.

I found that too, but no one mentions the specifics to recode what. :(

Sent from a Moto X

cakM3
10-21-2013, 08:56 AM
I found that too, but no one mentions the specifics to recode what. :(

Sent from a Moto X

How about sending Terra a PM and see what he has to say on this?

Hornung418
10-21-2013, 09:18 AM
Yeah I forgot I have his number. I'll see what he remembers.

Sent from my GS3.

derbo
10-21-2013, 10:22 AM
I PMed him as well but terra hasn't had been around since 9/25. I really wish I had a faceplate to try things out! haha

Hornung418
10-21-2013, 06:17 PM
He just chimed in for those interested. Check out the LCM recoding thread.

Sent from my GS3.

az3579
10-21-2013, 06:41 PM
Be careful with coding the car to euro. Once you do that, it'll probably give you bulb out warnings if you don't have city lights installed.
I'm sure there's a way to disable that, but just a heads up.

Hornung418
10-21-2013, 06:59 PM
Yeah he mentioned that youbcan cancel the BOWs.

Sent from my GS3.

derbo
10-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Be careful with coding the car to euro. Once you do that, it'll probably give you bulb out warnings if you don't have city lights installed.
I'm sure there's a way to disable that, but just a heads up.

BP,

I think terra mentioned in the LCM coding thread the check options to disable city lights. :)

JupiterBMW
10-22-2013, 04:34 AM
Yeah he mentioned that youbcan cancel the BOWs.

Sent from my GS3.

BP,

I think terra mentioned in the LCM coding thread the check options to disable city lights. :)

Yes, I've seen all the options for canceling the checks of the bulbs. There are hot and cold checks though, will have to cancel both. But I can confirm, currently when I pop my euro LCM in, I do get bulb outs for the city lights.

I will work on it more today if/when I get some time. My biggest issue is that I get into NCS and start playing with options, but I never wrote anything down, so I forget what I've done by the time I accomplish stuff. I will try to get better about that! Haha.

Hornung418
10-22-2013, 05:38 AM
Maybe just add the City Lights? :) Then you can delete the corners and be full Euro!!

JupiterBMW
10-22-2013, 05:39 AM
Maybe just add the City Lights? :) Then you can delete the corners and be full Euro!!

Personally I prefer the corner lights but adding city lights might be kind of cool... Eh...

az3579
10-22-2013, 08:41 AM
Personally I prefer the corner lights but adding city lights might be kind of cool... Eh...

Might be? :shifty

:biggrin

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

328ioc
10-22-2013, 04:06 PM

Yo yo,

Be a little busy so I missed alot here.
But yes as soon as Jon got this working for me I had a week of fog every morning so I figured I got a new fog light. Might as well use it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

terraphantm
10-22-2013, 04:58 PM
http://i.imgur.com/i7cyAl.jpg

That car looks familiar :shifty... and dirty

JupiterBMW
10-23-2013, 04:06 AM
Alright folks, some news, FINALLY... I got a word back. There aren't as many as I had hoped for, and the pricing isn't as good as I had hoped, but its still better than what I got.

Pricing is going to be $120 shipped (they will be shipped to me and then I will repack them and reship them, cost is shipped all the way to you though, I'll eat whatever extra shipping costs there are).

Availability is as follows...

2 for Xenon with Auto lights
3 for Xenon without Auto lights
1 for Halogen with Auto lights (Shawn, I located one of these as I know you are interested and perhaps the only Halogen car on here).

Please reply as soon as you can so I can order them and get them shipped!

Hornung418
10-23-2013, 04:18 AM
In for auto xenon.

Sent from my GS3.

cakM3
10-23-2013, 04:32 AM
Jon, you have PM sir :thumbsup

johnrando
10-23-2013, 05:03 AM
I'm out. Thanks again for your efforts.

JupiterBMW
10-23-2013, 05:10 AM
I'm out. Thanks again for your efforts.

No worries buddy, I apologize the prices aren't any better. I had hoped they would be, but it's the best I could do.

ELCID86
10-23-2013, 05:55 AM
1 for Halogen with Auto lights (Shawn, I located one of these as I know you are interested and perhaps the only Halogen car on here).

Still interested. but feeling lonely... The only one w/ Halogens? Really??

az3579
10-23-2013, 02:31 PM
Prices Joop is offering is rather competitive, I found out today. I won an eBay auction for the right unit and cost was 50USD. shipping, however, was about 40-50$ as well from the UK. All in all, I ended up saving only $20 by bid sniping someone out (sorry to whoever you are ;) ), and didn't account for the time lost at work waiting foe the right time to snipe to come along.

If I had to do it again, I'd buy one from Joop instead of doing it myself.

Let's not forget that most people are selling the whole LCM not just the faceplate, so it's tough to keep the costs down unfortunately.

az3579
10-23-2013, 02:32 PM
Still interested. but feeling lonely... The only one w/ Halogens? Really??

As far as the switch is concerned, halogen vs Xenon shouldn't matter. Just swap the switch plate to your LCM and you'll be fine (after coding, of course).

The plate where the switch is mounted to can be separated from the LCM, just FYI. the connectors should all be the same.

Hornung418
10-23-2013, 02:42 PM
And you dont need to have a halogen specific LCM. They can be coded to whatever lights you have so long as the software version is up to date.

Sent from my GS3.

ELCID86
10-23-2013, 02:51 PM
Thanks guys. So could Joop code it in his Xenon car and send it to me and I plug into my Halogen car without issue? P-n-p??

terraphantm
10-23-2013, 03:08 PM
It'd be best for all US cars to get xenon switches.

The only difference between a halogen switch and xenon switch in Europe is that the halogen switches have an extra dial for manual leveling. None of the US cars have this feature, so US members are best off with the xenon switch.

That said, cars with HIDs could use that dial if they code their LSZs appropriately. Halogen cars in the US don't have the equipment to use that dial.

az3579
10-23-2013, 03:25 PM
It'd be best for all US cars to get xenon switches.

The only difference between a halogen switch and xenon switch in Europe is that the halogen switches have an extra dial for manual leveling. None of the US cars have this feature, so US members are best off with the xenon switch.

That said, cars with HIDs could use that dial if they code their LSZs appropriately. Halogen cars in the US don't have the equipment to use that dial.

This clears up my uncertainty. I wasn't 100% sure if ALL Xenon cars in Europe had autoleveling (though I was pretty sure), but this confirms it. So all of the ones with the extra dial are for halogen... got it.

Do any of the U.S. halogen cars have auto leveling? None of the U.S. faceplates have the leveling switch, which is why I ask. I think they do have it...

derbo
10-23-2013, 03:35 PM
This clears up my uncertainty. I wasn't 100% sure if ALL Xenon cars in Europe had autoleveling (though I was pretty sure), but this confirms it. So all of the ones with the extra dial are for halogen... got it.

Do any of the U.S. halogen cars have auto leveling? None of the U.S. faceplates have the leveling switch, which is why I ask. I think they do have it...

BP,

If my previous research is correct, we do not have any leveling on halogen on US halogen models. Reason EU has a manual auto-leveler is because they need it per laws in Europe. I believe it has to do with multiple countries having different laws for headlight height..etc. I'm not 100% on this.

JP,

I found an auto xenon one on ebay, and waiting a response from the seller. If this guys falls through, and you still have an auto xenon, I would like to get one. :)

terraphantm
10-24-2013, 10:38 AM

No they don't. It is possible to retrofit if you really want (in fact I did add the motors to one of my halogen sets for shits and giggles), but if you're going to do that much work, you're better off retrofitting HIDs

JupiterBMW
10-27-2013, 04:37 PM
Hey everyone... I apologize, but I'm not going to follow through with this. I was informed that a new faceplate can be had for around $100. Honestly, I just don't have the time to follow through with this. That being said, I will continue to help out and I'm willing to code my car as we get ideas to try and make different things happen... Just let me know...

Sorry folks.

derbo
10-27-2013, 09:59 PM
Thanks for trying Joop!

Did you happen to check the LKM coding thread in the lighting forum?

Are they really that cheap?! I saw them around $260 for the auto ones..

JupiterBMW
10-28-2013, 01:19 AM
Derek-

I haven't looked at it in a day or so, but I know we mentioned having a few lines of code to check and see if that cures our ability to light the trunk light instead of the outer one. I will work at it some more and see what I come up with... Just a little busy and being out of town for a few days made things a little crazy...

danewilson77
10-28-2013, 01:44 AM
Thanks for trying Joop!

+1

johnrando
10-28-2013, 06:32 AM
Joop, I'll mark this thread as closed so people know it's not going to be pursued but I'll leave it open for comments if you'd still like. LMK.

JupiterBMW
10-28-2013, 06:46 AM
Honestly, I don't mind either way. Whatever you feel is best boss man.

derbo
10-28-2013, 07:38 AM
For those still looking for a faceplate,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/

Search for "e46 (headlight switch)"

ELCID86
10-28-2013, 03:13 PM
http://p.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/imgLoading_30x30.gif
So back to the question on my halogen car. Would this faceplate work with a 4.0 LCM (and I just wouldn't use the leveling dial)? any issues with coding it correctly?

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Bmw-3-series-E46-Headlight-switch-control-LCM-unit-6936832-2001-2005-KZB-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/47AAAOxy2E1SGJa2/$%28KGrHqZ,%21ngFH5gcW3hpBSGJ,2GDd%21%7E%7E60_12.J PG

JupiterBMW
10-28-2013, 03:32 PM
Shawn, it could/should work, but it doesn't have the auto feature which you do have, IIRC...? That being said, I would keep looking for one with auto and without the manual leveling...

ELCID86
10-28-2013, 03:52 PM
^ shoot. You are correct --as usual. I thought I'd stumbled upon a good find. Here if anyone is interested: http://www.ebay.com/itm/231039294947?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

az3579
10-28-2013, 03:59 PM
Shawn,
That one will definitely work, just won't have auto.

ELCID86
10-28-2013, 04:05 PM
I found one without the leveling dial. Seeing if they will sell just the faceplate and ship to USofA.

derbo
10-28-2013, 05:01 PM
Shawn, here is the link to the search I saved on ebay to email me when there are new listings. :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_ex_kw&_okw&_oexkw&_adv=1&_udlo&_udhi&_sabdlo&_sabdhi&_samilow&_samihi&_fpos&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&_nkw=e46+%28headlight+switch%29&_in_kw=1&_sacat=0&LH_PayPal=1&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sadis=200&LH_SubLocation=1&_fsradio2=%26LH_PrefLoc%3D1&_salic=3&_saact=3&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=200&_trksid=m194&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSRCHX:SRCH

terraphantm
10-29-2013, 12:24 PM
Shawn, it could/should work, but it doesn't have the auto feature which you do have, IIRC...? That being said, I would keep looking for one with auto and without the manual leveling...

It will actually work fine with auto leveling, but that extra dial won't be functional. Can be made functional if you prefer manual leveling to auto leveling

ELCID86
10-29-2013, 03:03 PM
Shawn, here is the link to the search I saved on ebay to email me when there are new listings. :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_ex_kw&_okw&_oexkw&_adv=1&_udlo&_udhi&_sabdlo&_sabdhi&_samilow&_samihi&_fpos&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&_nkw=e46+%28headlight+switch%29&_in_kw=1&_sacat=0&LH_PayPal=1&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sadis=200&LH_SubLocation=1&_fsradio2=%26LH_PrefLoc%3D1&_salic=3&_saact=3&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=200&_trksid=m194&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSRCHX:SRCH

Thanks. I found one straight away with Auto and without the leveling dial. Hopefully he will ship to the States.

Hornung418
10-29-2013, 06:08 PM
What does it take to get the leveling dial to work? What does it do exactly and how does it function?

Sent from my GS3.

terraphantm
10-29-2013, 06:31 PM
What does it take to get the leveling dial to work? What does it do exactly and how does it function?

Sent from my GS3.

There's a parameter that has to be flipped in NCS. It makes it so that the headlight aim is controlled by that dial on the right

Hornung418
10-29-2013, 06:37 PM
So how does the Auto leveling function work when that is enabled?

What I have noticed that when I leave my lights in the Auto position. the lights come on and they Self Test for level. I don't notice this happening when I turn on the lights.

Basically interested in the manual leveling because my drive into work is usually in the dark down back roads at 4:30am. So seeing more is better.

wsmeyer
10-29-2013, 06:54 PM
So how does the Auto leveling function work when that is enabled?

What I have noticed that when I leave my lights in the Auto position. the lights come on and they Self Test for level. I don't notice this happening when I turn on the lights.

Basically interested in the manual leveling because my drive into work is usually in the dark down back roads at 4:30am. So seeing more is better.

The auto leveling and the turning only work on the auto setting. It's most noticeable when you start the car in a dark place. You'll notice them go down then up and stop at level.

Hornung418
10-29-2013, 06:56 PM
Yeah that's what I know is happening, they also move slightly when I'm driving and I hit a bump or something they will stay level. But what I'm pondering is that when the setting is in Auto and I have the manual option to level enabled...what does that spell out in terms of functionality?

derbo
10-29-2013, 10:29 PM
The auto leveling and the turning only work on the auto setting. It's most noticeable when you start the car in a dark place. You'll notice them go down then up and stop at level.

I'm messing with my LSZ right now and on my sedan, the minute i turn it to even the parking lights, the headlights do a self-auto leveling test. The auto switch position is just for turning on the headlamps based on light conditions.

The auto-level feature should be to adjust the xenons with respect to if you are going downhill or uphill to minimize blinding oncoming drivers or if you have different weight loads on board.

I don't know how accurate this quote is but from headlamp wikipedia page about regulations on leveling systems.

Headlamp leveling systems[edit]
The 1948 Citroen 2CV was launched in France with a manual headlamp leveling system, controlled by the driver with knob through a mechanical rod linkage. This allowed the driver to adjust the vertical aim of the headlamps to compensate for the passenger and cargo load in the vehicle. In 1954, CibiĆ© introduced an automatic headlamp leveling system linked to the vehicle's suspension system to keep the headlamps correctly aimed regardless of vehicle load, without driver intervention. The first vehicle to be so equipped was the Panhard Dyna Z. Beginning in the 1970s, Germany and some other European countries began requiring remote-control headlamp leveling systems that permit the driver to lower the lamps' aim by means of a dashboard control lever or knob if the rear of the vehicle is weighted down with passengers or cargo, which would tend to raise the lamps' aim angle and create glare. Such systems typically use stepper motors at the headlamp and a rotary switch on the dash marked "0", "1", "2", "3" for different beam heights, "0" being the "normal" (and highest) position for when the car is lightly loaded. Internationalised ECE Regulation 48, in force in most of the world outside North America, currently specifies a limited range within which the vertical aim of the headlamps must be maintained under various vehicle load conditions; if the vehicle isn't equipped with an adaptive suspension sufficient to keep the headlamps aimed correctly regardless of load, a headlamp leveling system is required.[18] The regulation stipulates a more stringent version of this antiglare measure if the vehicle has headlamps with low beam light source(s) that produce more than 2,000 lumens – xenon bulbs and certain high-power halogens, for example. Such vehicles must be equipped with headlamp self-leveling systems that sense the vehicle's degree of squat due to cargo load and road inclination, and automatically adjust the headlamps' vertical aim to keep the beam correctly oriented without any action required by the driver.[18]
Leveling systems are not required by the North American regulations. A 2007 study, however, suggests automatic levelers on all headlamps, not just those with high-power light sources, would give drivers substantial safety benefits of better seeing and less glare.[58]

wsmeyer
10-30-2013, 09:52 AM
I'm messing with my LSZ right now and on my sedan, the minute i turn it to even the parking lights, the headlights do a self-auto leveling test. The auto switch position is just for turning on the headlamps based on light conditions.

The auto-level feature should be to adjust the xenons with respect to if you are going downhill or uphill to minimize blinding oncoming drivers or if you have different weight loads on board.

You're right. I was messing around with mine this morning, the auto leveling up/down works in any of the on positions but the right/left movement only works in the auto position. I found more info in the manual:

Adaptive headlights*
The concept
Adaptive headlights is a variable headlamp control system for dynamically illuminating the road. Depending on the steering angle and other factors the light from the headlamps follows the course of the road.

Activating Adaptive headlights
With the ignition key in position 2, turn the light switch to the automatic headlamp control position, refer to page 95. The LED next to the symbol lights up.
To avoid blinding oncoming traffic, adaptive headlights are
> not active while reversing,
> active only towards the front passenger side while the vehicle is at a standstill.

System malfunction
The LED next to the symbol for automatic headlamp control flashes. The adaptive headlight system is malfunctioning or out of order. Have the system checked as soon as possible.

derbo
10-30-2013, 01:01 PM
Never knew adaptive left right lights were only on with the auto. How weird. All e90+ now have it on by default.

We both learned something :)

sent from a Moto X

derbo
12-19-2013, 09:29 PM
if anyone is looking for an Non auto xenon euro LCM

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E46-XENON-HEADLIGHT-SWITCH-UNIT-61-31-6-901-430-/221332797413?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item33887677e5