PDA

View Full Version : Shark fin antenna

Lanister
09-24-2013, 08:00 PM
So my coupe came with the shark fin installed. From what I understand, it is an antenna to be used with the BMW Assist communications. I suppose that's what the SOS button is for on my rear view mirror.

Does it serve any other function besides that?

I wonder if the antenna can be used for anything else? Such as the GPS for the aftermarket deck like Eonon.

cakM3
09-24-2013, 08:05 PM
The sharkfin antenna came on BMWs that had BMW assist. This is what this antenna is used for. I have gutted the inside of the OEM Sharkfin when I had my 323i and placed a Sirius hi-gain antenna inside. Anything is possible if the new device fits completely inside the sharkfin assembly :thumbsup

Hope this helps answer your question. :)

Lanister
09-24-2013, 08:28 PM
It sure does! I like the positioning (and the look) of it and if it can serve a good purpose, then all the better.

As for the BMW Assist, I tried pressing the SOS button on the mirror and nothing happened. Should something happen? I presume it's a subscription-based service but how do I know its status?

cakM3
09-25-2013, 02:04 AM
It sure does! I like the positioning (and the look) of it and if it can serve a good purpose, then all the better.

As for the BMW Assist, I tried pressing the SOS button on the mirror and nothing happened. Should something happen? I presume it's a subscription-based service but how do I know its status?

BMW Assist is a subscription-based service you pay around $200/yr for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ELCID86
09-25-2013, 08:45 AM
Pretty ingenious to re-purpose it. I don't have one, but am curious as to how the fin comes off? Is there a screw type mechanism accessible from inside the care (headline)?

Lanister
09-25-2013, 09:46 AM
Just did some research on it and apparently the antenna that comes with the BMW Assist is attached with double-sided tape and the wire runs along and under the external window trim down to the trunk. Here's a video of how the the antenna was retrofitted on a vehicle for use with sirius satellite radio. Interestingly, he used the sirius antenna magnet that came with it to keep it in place. I guess it's cool if you're planning on messing with it. Otherwise, I'd personally prefer for it to be more permanent. I don't really care for satellite radio as I get all my audio sourcing done through my Galaxy S3 so I would be pretty interested to see if the fin can host a gps antenna.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z2WNOmQntM

cakM3
09-25-2013, 09:51 AM
Pretty ingenious to re-purpose it. I don't have one, but am curious as to how the fin comes off? Is there a screw type mechanism accessible from inside the care (headline)?

The sharkfin antenna is mounted using 3M double sided tape. Once you get the sharkfin off the roof and the double sided tape residue off the surface of the sharkfin, there are 8 tiny torx screws securing the bottom baseplate onto the sharkfin. you can take the baseplate off and then take out the BMW Assist antenna from the baseplate. Then you can dremel the baseplate so that you can place and secure the SIRIUS hi-gain antenna onto it and then close everything up. This is what I did when I mounted the sharkfin onto my 323i. The video by Delmarco gives you an idea of how to mount the SIRIUS antenna but to me it's half-assed how he did this.

Yes, doing it my way takes more work but in the end it's a much higher quality finish, which is what you should go for on any BMW :thumbsup

Lanister
09-25-2013, 09:57 AM
Yes, doing it my way takes more work but in the end it's a much higher quality finish, which is what you should go for on any BMW :thumbsup

+1

Anything less would be uncivilized... :cigar

cakM3
09-25-2013, 10:00 AM
If the GPS antenna was small enough then yes, the sharkfin antenna housing should completely house the GPS antenna and you should be able to put everything back together and run the wire through the hole in the back of the sharkfin. Yes, with the baseplate back in place, there will be a small hole where the wire can run out. Then you seal the hole with some silicone and everything should be perfect! :thumbsup

Lanister
09-25-2013, 10:41 AM
Just added it to my project list. :thumbsup

ELCID86
09-25-2013, 11:12 AM
The sharkfin antenna is mounted using 3M double sided tape. Once you get the sharkfin off the roof and the double sided tape residue off the surface of the sharkfin, there are 8 tiny torx screws securing the bottom baseplate onto the sharkfin. you can take the baseplate off and then take out the BMW Assist antenna from the baseplate. Then you can dremel the baseplate so that you can place and secure the SIRIUS hi-gain antenna onto it and then close everything up. This is what I did when I mounted the sharkfin onto my 323i. The video by Delmarco gives you an idea of how to mount the SIRIUS antenna but to me it's half-assed how he did this.

Again: "Pretty ingenious" Thanks.

derbo
09-25-2013, 02:20 PM
Just added it to my project list. :thumbsup
Giya
I think its about time you make a project thread to log all this ;)

Lanister
09-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Been gearing up to start one. :-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

cakM3
10-02-2013, 08:27 AM
Again: "Pretty ingenious" Thanks.

Thanks :thumbsup It's amazing just what can be done if you do enough research :)

Been gearing up to start one. :-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with! :thumbsup