PDA

View Full Version : New member from Colorado

justinco
08-15-2013, 08:19 AM
Hello, my name is Justin and I found the site while looking for a ZHP equipped 330i. Thanks to ZHPmafia, I found the car I was looking for and was able to work out a deal (after getting it thoroughly checked out) and I will be flying out to pick it up and drive home tomorrow! :biggrin

This is the car:
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?10611-FS-2005-BMW-330i-Sedan-OB-blk-AT-12-490-Austin-TX

This will be my 2nd BMW. I sold my first one a little over a year ago to make it easier to buy our new house. It was a 2009 335i with the M-Sport package, an amazing car!

http://repo.jackmoves.com/d/53992-3/IMG_2740.JPG

I have missed the driving experience from owning a BMW and cannot wait to get into the seat of my 330i. I am actually more excited about this car (love the e46 generation) than I was about my e90! :)

I will try to post pics of the journey home starting tomorrow.

johnrando
08-15-2013, 08:30 AM
Welcome and GL on the journey!

fredo
08-15-2013, 08:36 AM
Welcome, kind sir ... and congrats on your ZHP ! You will like this forum.

justinco
08-15-2013, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the welcome! I also just realized, the car probably does not have a spare tire, or run flats (tires are new). I might have to source a cheap spare tire before I make the drive home, just in case.

danewilson77
08-15-2013, 08:40 AM
Justin, welcome

Avetiso
08-15-2013, 12:22 PM
Welcome!

Hermes
08-15-2013, 03:16 PM
Welcome Justin!

Thanks for the welcome! I also just realized, the car probably does not have a spare tire, or run flats (tires are new). I might have to source a cheap spare tire before I make the drive home, just in case.

your car should have a donut spare, but you should be able to pick up a full size spare in a different wheel style. Personally, my spare is a 17" style 68

justinco
08-15-2013, 05:17 PM
Welcome Justin!

your car should have a donut spare, but you should be able to pick up a full size spare in a different wheel style. Personally, my spare is a 17" style 68

Thanks again for the welcomes! Yea, I called the seller again and verified is has the donut spare. Just need some piece of mind for the long drive home and I'll work on a full size spare for the future. Almost time for bed, got a 6:35am flight out there :o

Torxuvin
08-15-2013, 05:36 PM
Welcome. Sorry to hear about the 335, but ZHPs do look great in OB. Glad to hear your excitement.

JupiterBMW
08-16-2013, 12:37 AM
Hello Justin, welcome to the Forum, and congrats on the new ZHP. I have to admit, I love your 335, done the right way... Alpine White, M-sport, 4 doors. Was it a 6spd?

Anyway, welcome again and enjoy your time here. Post your travel route heading home and I'm sure any members will offer help along the way if needed. I did that when I bought my 2nd ZHP and met a LOT of great people!

justinco
08-16-2013, 02:09 PM
Well I've been out here in Austin all day. Of course when i went to test drive the car one final time it kept doing the random stall at idle problem...It didn't do this when my friend test drove it last week nor did anything come up in the PPI. Shop we went to today said it is fine and it looks like there is too much alchohol in the gas that may be causing the stalling...

So kind of bummed, going to stay the night and get it into BMW in the morning and see what they say or if they can fix it, or I'll get a flight back home :'(

On a good note, Lee at stressless auto is a good guy going well out of his way to accommodate me.

Hoping things work out tomorrow cause I love the car otherwise

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

fredo
08-16-2013, 02:25 PM
Sorry to hear the news, Justin. Hope it's an easy fix. Please keep us posted.

imola red zhp
08-16-2013, 07:26 PM
Welcome to the Family!!!Enjoy

justinco
08-18-2013, 06:36 PM
Well, after an extended stay in Austin, TX, I finally have the car home. 2 days of exhaustive testing at 3 shops, which included 6 hours at BMW of Austin on Saturday and no issues found with the car. It still stalls randomly when at a stand still, but always fires right back up. So, now I'm starting the process of doing all the refresh/preventitive maintenance and hopefully one of those will cure the stall problem (first thing in cleaning the ICV). Loving the car other than that minor annoyance!

I'm thinking "OB ZHP" for my plate :)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-kclYAveYdNE/UhE3RtHEH-I/AAAAAAABIoM/kkmFYTwqjcc/w956-h539-no/IMAG1251.jpg

Torxuvin
08-18-2013, 06:37 PM
Sorry to hear about the troubles. Glad to hear you made it home

wertyu78
08-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Welcome to the family!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

Hornung418
08-18-2013, 07:05 PM
Welcome to the forum, from one Justin to another :) Great looking car! I just flew into Utah to get mine! I'm headed back to Baltimore.

The car I bought was supposed to be OB...but it turned out to be Mysticblau LOL

GS3 + TT4

danewilson77
08-19-2013, 03:15 AM
Justin,

Glad to have you back.

During the troubleshooting, was the ICV considered? You'd be doing yourself a huge favor to perform an intake stream clean and inspect. This includes:

1. Pull intake and ensure filter is fresh/clean.
2. Pull upper intake boot. Clean MAF sensor and inspect boot for cracks.
3. Pull lower intake boot and inspect for cracks. Pay particular attention to corrugated portion that connects to ICV.
4. Pull ICV and clean with carb cleaner until valve movely freely. (click, click, click).
5. Pull DISA. Inspect flapper and check for pin. Ensure o-ring and seating surfaces look good. Eventually install GAS kit.
6. Pull and clean throttle body.
7. Ensure you spray each electrical connection (4) when plugging items back in. CRC electronics cleaner is good stuff.

justinco
08-19-2013, 08:14 AM
Justin,

Glad to have you back.

During the troubleshooting, was the ICV considered? You'd be doing yourself a huge favor to perform an intake stream clean and inspect. This includes:

1. Pull intake and ensure filter is fresh/clean.
2. Pull upper intake boot. Clean MAF sensor and inspect boot for cracks.
3. Pull lower intake boot and inspect for cracks. Pay particular attention to corrugated portion that connects to ICV.
4. Pull ICV and clean with carb cleaner until valve movely freely. (click, click, click).
5. Pull DISA. Inspect flapper and check for pin. Ensure o-ring and seating surfaces look good. Eventually install GAS kit.
6. Pull and clean throttle body.
7. Ensure you spray each electrical connection (4) when plugging items back in. CRC electronics cleaner is good stuff.

Yes, I mentioned the ICV to both BMW and the other shops. BMW did take the airbox out and inspect all the boots and also did a smoke test, but no deep dive inspection. They said there would be codes if there was an ICV problem.

Anyways, your process is exactly what I am planning to start tonight. Going to check/clean/replace anything and everything on the way down to the ICV so it's all good an fresh.

Also going to take care of some other preventative maintenance over the next few weeks.

Thanks for the help!

alexandre
08-19-2013, 10:09 AM
That's not necessarily true... It'd throw a code if the ICV was so nasty that it made your car stall absolutely everytime you're under 1000rpm. It's probably your issue, don't write it off just yet.

justinco
08-19-2013, 10:29 AM
That's not necessarily true... It'd throw a code if the ICV was so nasty that it made your car stall absolutely everytime you're under 1000rpm. It's probably your issue, don't write it off just yet.

Yea I'm not writing it off at all. The ICV being the culprit is my hunch as well. I will know soon enough.

Justin

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

justinco
08-24-2013, 05:58 PM
Well I am still troubleshooting these random stalls. So far I have done the following with no change:

Clean/Inspect: ICV, DISA, TB, MAF, electrical connections for those components (everything was in great shape, very clean)
Replaced: Upper and lower intake boots, air filter, battery, DISA o-ring, primary pre-cat o2 sensors, cabin filter

Any ideas what to try next? The stalls are random as can be. Just did a 40 mile drive and it stalled 3 times under various situations at idle :(

danewilson77
08-24-2013, 06:30 PM
Update : foottap

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

JupiterBMW
08-24-2013, 09:08 PM
Hmm, sorry to hear about the stalling issue Justin, she's a beautiful car otherwise... Good luck in getting it sorted out.

Perhaps a compression test and vacuum test might lead to some sort of ideas.

Also, might not be a bad idea to throw a set of plugs into the car. I'm assuming the potentially bad gas is all burned out from your drive home? You're filling with nothing but premium right??

Hornung418
08-24-2013, 10:16 PM
Intake camshaft position sensor. Do the stalls occur under braking? If so that seems like the main culprit for an issue such as this one.

GS3 + TT4

justinco
08-25-2013, 09:09 AM
Hmm, sorry to hear about the stalling issue Justin, she's a beautiful car otherwise... Good luck in getting it sorted out.

Perhaps a compression test and vacuum test might lead to some sort of ideas.

Also, might not be a bad idea to throw a set of plugs into the car. I'm assuming the potentially bad gas is all burned out from your drive home? You're filling with nothing but premium right??

Yep, all that gas from Austin is long gone. I put nothing but Shell Vpower in it.

Got plugs and coils on my list of parts to replace too.

Intake camshaft position sensor. Do the stalls occur under braking? If so that seems like the main culprit for an issue such as this one.

GS3 + TT4

Stalls occur only when car is idling. Sometimes it will stall while I'm braking at a very very slow speed (coming to a stop) when the car is going slow enough to idle.

I've got the camshaft position sensor lower on my list of things to replace right now. The BMW dealer in Austin checked that too.

Hornung418
08-25-2013, 09:17 AM
Hmmm. If it stalls under idle it seems like a symptom of Failed VANOS seals...but that symptom was more common on the 323/328.

This will be interesting to see the diagnosis if the initial intake cleaning doesn't cure the issue.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

justinco
08-25-2013, 09:19 AM
Hmmm. If it stalls under idle it seems like a symptom of Failed VANOS seals...but that symptom was more common on the 323/328.

This will be interesting to see the diagnosis if the initial intake cleaning doesn't cure the issue.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Initial intake cleaning is all done (all that stuff in Dane's earlier reply) in addition to the o2 sensors. I'll look into checking the VANOS seals too.

alexandre
08-25-2013, 09:23 AM
Clogged fuel filter could be a path to explore as well.

danewilson77
08-25-2013, 09:45 AM
Initial intake cleaning is all done (all that stuff in Dane's earlier reply) in addition to the o2 sensors. I'll look into checking the VANOS seals too.

You really can't "check" the vanos seals.

My car had the same symptoms you describe when I first bought it, and the ICV clean is what cleared the issue for me.

You will most likely want to put new vanos seals in, in the future however.

www.beisansystems.com

justinco
08-25-2013, 11:34 AM
You really can't "check" the vanos seals.

My car had the same symptoms you describe when I first bought it, and the ICV clean is what cleared the issue for me.

You will most likely want to put new vanos seals in, in the future however.

www.beisansystems.com

Cleaning the ICV was the first thing I did with no change :(

Just trying to prioritize what to do next.

danewilson77
08-25-2013, 12:01 PM
Yep. Sounds good.

justinco
08-26-2013, 08:52 AM
Replaced fuel filter and spark plugs yesterday. 22 mile test drive was the best one yet. I had one stall, but it was not until I went into reverse after sitting in a parking lot for 60 seconds :confused

Did multiple 60 second stops in parking lots and long stops at stop signs, no stalls. See how it goes this week driving to/from work.

At least I'm getting a bunch of general maintenance out of the way replacing all these parts :)

Next up, I think I'm going to do the fuel pump.

JupiterBMW
08-26-2013, 09:21 AM
Sounds like progress! Good to hear. :thumbsup

fredo
08-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Good to hear the car is doing better now. Hope the new fuel filter and spark plugs are the fix.

Imola.ZHP
10-15-2013, 03:05 PM
Welcome! Sweet e90 and even sweeter ZHP!

justinco
10-15-2013, 05:02 PM
Welcome! Sweet e90 and even sweeter ZHP!

Thanks!

And to update on my problems I was having, they are finally resolved after a new DME. Problems got worse and worse until DME starting coughing up codes indicating RAM/ROM failures in the DME :o

WOLFN8TR
10-16-2013, 11:03 AM
Welcome Justin....

New DME wow, good to hear you got it fixed.

johnrando
10-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Kinda shocking that a DME would go. Any other details?

justinco
10-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Kinda shocking that a DME would go. Any other details?

Sure:

Had the car at BMW for 2 weeks and they finally (after opening PUMA case with BMW Germany) came to the conclusion that the DME was failing. It started coughing up codes 28B2, 2796, and 27A1. Per the below SIB 124906, these indicated a faulty DME.

After replacing the DME last week I have not had one problem and the car is running perfect.

SI B12 49 06
Engine Electrical Systems April 2007
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B12 49 06 dated
November 2006.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
DME MS45 - FC28B2, 28AA, 28AC; Internal RAM Faults

MODEL
E46 M54 with MS45.1 from 9/00 to 7/06
E83 M54 with MS45.0/MS45.1 from 9/03 to 9/06
E85 M54 with MS45.0 from 10/04 to 1/06
E60 M54 with MS45.1 from 9/03 to 3/05

SITUATION
Customers may complain about a crank/no start or a rough start situation.
The "Service Engine Soon Light" or the DSC light is illuminated, and one
of the 3 scenarios may apply:

FC 28B2 "rpm limiting reset " is stored in the DME together with one, or
more of the following faults which are caused by the 28B2:
FC 28AC - "nominal torque",
FC 2796 - "throttle flap: adaptation wrong",
FC 27A1 - "throttle flap: start check",
FC 2869 - "DME self diagnostic: RAM check failed".
FC 28AA "idle speed regulator" is stored in the DME.
FC 28AC "nominal torque" is stored in the DME.

CAUSE
Fault codes 28B2, 28AA and 28AC indicate an internal DME RAM fault.

PROCEDURE
Perform the appropriate DIS/GT1 test modules for the 28B2, 28AA or 28AC.

Replace the DME if prompted by the DIS/GT1 test module results.

Important: Do not replace the throttle body for the throttle faults,
stored in conjunction with FC28B2, even when the test plan recommends to
do so.

johnrando
10-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Interesting. Did they pay for it themselves or did you?

justinco
10-16-2013, 01:54 PM
Interesting. Did they pay for it themselves or did you?

I had to pay for it, car is over 8 years old. It wasn't cheap, but I felt like they treated me pretty well. They had my ZHP for 2 full weeks of troubleshooting/diagnostics, including involving BMW Germany. They gave me a 2013 328i M-sport sedan as a loaner (at no charge), charged me for only 2 hours of labor and the cost of the DME, and threw in a 10% off coupon. It was $1800 even when all said and done ($1500 of that was the DME).

Justin

330i ZHP
10-16-2013, 01:57 PM
DME failure is not uncommon

I may have a bad one in the wagon

and to OP - welcome

Hornung418
10-16-2013, 01:58 PM
Damn...we could have helped save you some cash with a used DME. I hope you have a positive experience from here on out!

Sent from my GS3.

fredo
10-16-2013, 02:00 PM
That's a good dealer. I thought labor was going to be super expensive.

johnrando
10-16-2013, 02:03 PM
That's a lot of bank but yes, they did right by you. Good to hear.

johnrando
10-16-2013, 02:04 PM
DME failure is not uncommon

I may have a bad one in the wagon

and to OP - welcome

Didn't know that about DMEs.

justinco
10-16-2013, 02:47 PM
Damn...we could have helped save you some cash with a used DME. I hope you have a positive experience from here on out!

No worries, I would honestly rather have a new one with fresh programming anyways. I didn't buy (another) BMW not expecting to have to spend money on it, I would have kept my Honda Civic otherwise :)

That's a good dealer. I thought labor was going to be super expensive.

That's a lot of bank but yes, they did right by you. Good to hear.

Yep, even though it cost a chunk of change, I'm happy the problem is finally resolved. Along with all the other preventative I did during the process, the car should be good for another 100k miles.

Hornung418
10-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Did they update it to the latest s/w. How is the response at 2.8k and 4.1k rpm? Two very notorious stumbles/hesitations with the MS45.1 DME.

Sent from my GS3.

justinco
10-16-2013, 03:03 PM
Did they update it to the latest s/w. How is the response at 2.8k and 4.1k rpm? Two very notorious stumbles/hesitations with the MS45.1 DME.

Sent from my GS3.

When the DME arrived at the dealer they gave it a fresh flash with, I assume, the latest software.

I have read of those power dips and do not have that problem, nor did I have it before the DME was replaced. They said my old DME was last updated in 2010 (before they re-flashed it themselves as a test, prior to the new DME).

Hornung418
10-16-2013, 03:04 PM
Great to hear! Enjoy the ride, Justin!

Sent from my GS3.

Marcus-SanDiego
01-11-2014, 09:14 AM
Welcome.