PDA

View Full Version : Shift Knob, or Shift Lever?

EmDeeAr
08-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Hey all,

So lately my shift knob has been popping off while upshifting or downshifting quickly to second.

New shift knob, right? Well... I read that the shift lever could actually be the problem, as the clamp part can wear out. If the clamp is too worn, not even a new shift knob will attach firmly.

My shift lever is a little damaged on the corners (looks worn, maybe a little chipped), but the "inside" of the clamp looks straight as an arrow, albeit scratched up.

Has anyone actually had a damaged shift lever before? Or does that never really happen, and a new shift knob is all I need?

Thank you!!

Crickett
08-07-2013, 11:13 AM
I haven't heard of the actual shift lever wearing out before . . . I'd be much more inclined to suspect the shift knob's plastic insides wearing out before the metal shift lever's. Perhaps swap knobs with someone local to check??

alexandre
08-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Could use this as an opportunity to upgrade to BMW Perf SSK.

derbo
08-07-2013, 03:33 PM
A temporary solution can be to put tape on the lever and then put your knob back on.

az3579
08-09-2013, 04:58 PM
A new knob should still sit snugly in there. There is plenty of material still there to hold in the new know.
I would say give that a try first. See if you can quickly swap a knob from a friend's car or something to see if it'll hold.

JupiterBMW
08-10-2013, 10:52 PM
My old knob came off quite easily... When I upgraded to my new knob, it fit tightly and doesn't move at all.

EmDeeAr
08-11-2013, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the info!!

-Mike

wertyu78
09-11-2013, 01:15 PM
I had the same issue and it ended up being the knob itself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

Smolck
09-11-2013, 05:30 PM
I have my old stock shift lever, it is yours for free if you want it. But the problem is likely the plastic tabs inside the shifter as others have said. I broke them on my bro-in-laws 540 once. He let me drive it, I hammered second and the knob came off in my hand. OOPS!