PDA

View Full Version : Auto-Dimming Compass Mirror Retrofit Issue

TomTomTuning
08-01-2013, 03:23 PM
Hey,

The auto dimming compass mirror arrived today. Everything mounts up and the clip is the same but the digital compass does not work.
I was hopping for it to be a direct swap but it appears I'll need to swap some wires around. I'll start the research process but here are some photos in the mean time.

Old (non -dimming) Mirror

New Mirror

Body Harness/Clip

cakM3
08-01-2013, 04:49 PM
Tom,
It isn't a direct swap. I bet your new mirror is not getting power at all, which is why you don't see the compass working. I can disconnect my compass mirror tomorrow and take pictures of the connector and wiring on the plug (car side) so you can see what you have to do.

You got to run two wires, a +12v source, and a ground. Once you do that, your mirror will become fully functional. Its not hard to do Tom. :thumbsup

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

derbo
08-01-2013, 04:58 PM
Pin 3 is power pin 10 is ground.

Pin 10 is brown and Pin 3 is green w/ yellow. (I think or yellow/green)

the pin layout should be like this

1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10

Look on your mirror side harness to see where pin 10 is (should be brown) and you should be able to determine what pin 3 is. There is small lettering labeling 1 and 10 on there if I remember correctly.

Steve's DIY might help with you too.

http://www.bigpatsfans.com/mirror/compass.htm

JupiterBMW
08-01-2013, 08:11 PM
Derek, you're the mirror whisperer... How 'bout you come to FL and set my car up, and I let you have her for the weekend... :biggrin

derbo
08-01-2013, 08:39 PM
HAHA Jon. I know you want to install rain sensor and I haven't really looked into how much wiring is involved to integrate that to the car. The mirror itself I believe you can tackle on your own however. :) LOL as tempting as that sounds, perhaps when I go visit Disneyworld. ;)

TomTomTuning
08-02-2013, 04:43 AM
Thanks Charlie & Derek, I'll get it fixed sometime this weekend.

I went to bed early last night so I didnt get to do any research but should I re-pin the mirror's clip or the body harness clip?

cakM3
08-02-2013, 05:21 AM
Tom,

Review this DIY thoroughly....it will identify what you have to do to retrofit your new mirror to your BMW :thumbsup It was written by Steve (SNA77) and I found it useful when I retrofitted my compass mirror to my ZHP...

Here's a few useful links:

The first one will help with pin configurations for your car....provided by Derek.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=729475 (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=729475)

The second is written by Steve (SNA77)
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370674 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370674)

TomTomTuning
08-23-2013, 01:24 PM
So I have time today to finally work on the rear view mirror. I've determined the clip coming from the car has the brown (pin 10) ground cable but is missing pin 3 power cable. I'm sure I can tap into one of the other power cables but where can I get a metal pin to out on the end if the cable to slide it into the plastic clip? My mirror did not include a cut harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

TomTomTuning
08-23-2013, 01:27 PM
Another question I have is... What are these two white clips for? They both have only 1 wire but they're unplugged from one another. Also at the end of that cable is a black clip that was not attached to anything... I have Homelink and that's already connects to a clip.

Just curious.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/24/2uva7eby.jpg

derbo
08-23-2013, 01:38 PM
I'm sure what the white clips are for, but the black clip at the end of it is for the microphone. Maybe the older homelink (the big on in that goes in the middle between the sunroof and mic locations?

derbo
08-23-2013, 01:44 PM
So I have time today to finally work on the rear view mirror. I've determined the clip coming from the car has the brown (pin 10) ground cable but is missing pin 3 power cable. I'm sure I can tap into one of the other power cables but where can I get a metal pin to out on the end if the cable to slide it into the plastic clip? My mirror did not include a cut harness.

I got this 51160001231 Retrofit kit for Mirror to get the pins. It's a bit excessive but thats what I use to add my wires.

http://c1552172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/356323_x800.jpg

http://www.ecstuning.com/ES79472/

TomTomTuning
08-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Good news, I got it working...

I "borrowed" a pin from the black clip in the above photo.

My issue now is I tapped into pin 8, which Is power for I guess the clown nose (DWA LED). So my auto-dim and compass are staying on even while the car is off. :(

I need to find a different (accessory) power source. Any suggestions?

derbo
08-23-2013, 02:00 PM
Good news, I got it working...

I "borrowed" a pin from the black clip in the above photo.

My issue now is I tapped into pin 8, which Is power for I guess the clown nose (DWA LED). So my auto-dim and compass are staying on even while the car is off. :(

I need to find a different (accessory) power source. Any suggestions?

PIN 8 is a constant 12V source. Try getting power from the homelink green wire. That is a switched 12V source.

Hornung418
08-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Tom I bought a reel of 100 MQS connections. Send me your address via PM and I will have 10 of them in the mail for you tomorrow. They are a bitch to get crimped correctly. I think I averaged 1:6.

GS3 + TT4

TomTomTuning
08-23-2013, 02:23 PM
PIN 8 is a constant 12V source. Try getting power from the homelink green wire. That is a switched 12V source.
Done, seems to be working. I'll go drive around and test it .

Tom I bought a reel of 100 MQS connections. Send me your address via PM and I will have 10 of them in the mail for you tomorrow. They are a bitch to get crimped correctly. I think I averaged 1:6.

GS3 + TT4
That's mighty kind of you but I think I got it all taken care of . :)

derbo
08-23-2013, 02:25 PM
Done, seems to be working. I'll go drive around and test it .

That's mighty kind of you but I think I got it all taken care of . :)

On back of the mirror (facing the windshield) there is a photodiode there. This is the reference point of the light to compare to the front (center top of mirror) photodiode. If you flash a flashlight on the front diode while completely covering the back with your hand, you will see it autodim and turn blue. :)

TomTomTuning
08-23-2013, 02:35 PM
On back of the mirror (facing the windshield) there is a photodiode there. This is the reference point of the light to compare to the front (center top of mirror) photodiode. If you flash a flashlight on the front diode while completely covering the back with your hand, you will see it autodim and turn blue. :)

Awesome, I was freaking out because it wasn't changing when I put my flash light on the "front" photodiode, but now when I cover the back sensor, it works!

I also calibrated the compass. :)

Hornung418
08-23-2013, 02:47 PM
Great work Tom! Glad it worked out for ya!

My 328 has Autodim...but my ZHP doesn't :( How hard would it be to just swap mirrors?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

derbo
08-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Great work Tom! Glad it worked out for ya!

My 328 has Autodim...but my ZHP doesn't :( How hard would it be to just swap mirrors?

Simpler than you think. Pin 10 ground and pin3 power to switched 12V source is really all you need. Just make sure there is nothing I pin 4 5 6 7 on the mirror side.

Hornung418
08-23-2013, 02:50 PM
Awesome I'll check that out!

TomTomTuning
08-23-2013, 02:54 PM
Simpler than you think. Pin 10 ground and pin3 power to switched 12V source is really all you need. Just make sure there is nothing I pin 4 5 6 7 on the mirror side.

Shit, I need to go check if I have wires in pin 4 5 6 7. If I remember correctly I think there's wires in 6 & 7.

Hornung418
08-23-2013, 02:58 PM
Does that cause exploding mirrors?

GS3 + TT4

derbo
08-23-2013, 03:20 PM
Does that cause exploding mirrors?

GS3 + TT4

Sometimes. If you have BMW assist I can confirm it will. Pin 7 has a 12v constant source and it's not suppose to be powered in the mirror... But the mirror would've bubbled the instant it went on if that was the case.

TomTomTuning
08-23-2013, 03:35 PM
Sometimes. If you have BMW assist I can confirm it will. Pin 7 has a 12v constant source and it's not suppose to be powered in the mirror... But the mirror would've bubbled the instant it went on if that was the case.

Cool, so I'm probably safe then. I'll go remove the pins anyway...

derbo
08-23-2013, 04:43 PM
Cool, so I'm probably safe then. I'll go remove the pins anyway...

Figure out what they are with a multimeter. I only have experience with a SOS assist car.