PDA

View Full Version : Electric Fan needs greasing?

BavarianZHP
07-07-2013, 12:06 AM
When I pulled my electric fan out to replace the belts and pulleys, I did what every kid would do... Push the blades along to see how it turned. I feel like the bearings could use some lubing. Anyone ever done this? Does it need to be done?

danewilson77
07-07-2013, 05:10 AM
Can you get to the bearing to properly lube it?

I would say go ahead if you can. I've never done it before though.

HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA

BavarianZHP
07-07-2013, 11:11 AM
I didn't try... I did see three torx screws that could be undone that may give me access though. I was in a hurry or would've attempted it. I'll take a look this week and see.

WOLFN8TR
07-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Why do you think it needs greased? Is it squeaky or turns kinda hard. Reason I ask is my New fan didn't turn easy like you would think, it had slight resistance.

BavarianZHP
07-07-2013, 11:35 AM
It's only squeaky when I turn it the wrong way - which doesn't matter. It feels slightly rough (without squeaks) the right way. It isn't smooth and even though throughout the entire revolution which worried me. Plus, it's a decade old... New bearings should have some resistance to them (just like the new pulleys) but the resistance should be even throughout. Mine isn't...

Avetiso
07-07-2013, 12:02 PM
I had my fan taken off the plate before. I don't recall anyway to get to the bearing, but surely there should be a way to get to it...