PDA

View Full Version : To dynavin or not to...

blindside
06-26-2013, 05:20 PM
I've had the idea of installing a dynavin d99+ for about a month now but can't get myself to actually make the purchase. It's torture for me at work it's all I think about! This all stems from years of fumbling around trying to drive and not miss my call but also a recent visit to my cousin who shares our bmw addiction. He has an e36 m3 tuned very well maintaining that core oem+ look (I'll link his bimmerforum handle here). One of his mewest mods is a great headunit (can't remember specifics will update) that performs all of those functions yet oem look. It drove my crazy how incredible Bluetooth really is! We swap cars while we visit eachother so when running around town prepping the expansion tank work i did i found myself jealous! To cut to the heart of it, bluetooth capability is so essential. I've reviewed parrot a few times and just haven't read compelling reviews especially referring to audio streaming. Since the dynavin doesn't half ass it and does make a bt audio streaming experience worth the money I should buy. Another huge kicker is that the unit sticks true to the BMW interface and console display look, matching or, toggles, lighting, designing in general. The only thing holding me back is all of my years in a stock e46. Since my first 323i tiag (owned @ 30k miles onward) I've known and loved the headunit. I spent 3 hrs total driving to high school and back daily, which made me love these cars, and highways, valley hairpins, and my head unit.

Pro's: all BT functions, Oem + look, great user interface, steering wheel controls, i5 Siri for texts, and navigation

Con's : NOT classic e46.

I know it may sound ridiculous but that's the whole argument for me. I could use some genuine input here haha. This opens a whole debate I feel. Some reviews on dynavin or other products are required zhp mafia.

Also, those who can't leave their stock unit chime in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cakM3
06-26-2013, 05:26 PM
Tony stopped by Sunday with his ZHP and it has the Eonon head unit, similar to Dynavin D99. I'm in the same boat but I had assured Kyle that if I was very pleased with his stereo install I would let him do everything in my ZHP....that means the OEM Nav goes out...so I'm seriously leaning on the Dynavin D99 as well but the Eonon is just less than half the price of the Dynavin and looks exactly the same to me....there is a detailed thread (Eonon D5150 (another cheap nav) + Optional TPMS) in the audio section if you haven't looked there yet. :)

Yeah, the bluetooth connectivity is paramount for me as well. :thumbsup

here's the link:
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?10063-Eonon-D5150-(another-cheap-nav)-Optional-TPMS/page12 (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?10063-Eonon-D5150-(another-cheap-nav)-Optional-TPMS/page12)

ELCID86
06-26-2013, 05:36 PM
I really don't like the OEM Nav unit interface for numerous reasons (though i do like the sound) and would lean towards the Eonon based on Tony and the e46f.c feedback. I had replaced the OEM HU in my '02 330Ci with one that had BT, iPod/USB interface and really feel the '04 Nav unit is a step backwards. In that this is now my 20yo's car, I will not invest in a new HU (he can if he chooses). I did order an Aux jack and guess that will have to suffice until he saves his money. Good luck with your decision.

Shawn in VA.
Via thumbs and Tapatalk.

scooby24
06-26-2013, 05:48 PM
I have the eonon d5150 and it's definitely got its drawbacks. Harness wire swap needed and trimming of the included antenna and iPod cables, bugs in OS, crap NAV and CAN bus issues resulting in input swap every start up....but given all this, I'd still buy it over again for the 340 dollars it cost. Bluetooth is a life saver....I was just fed up with fumbling for the phone. That alone made it worth it to me, but the iPod functionality is really good, Bluetooth streaming music and loading iGo 2.4 navigation made it much better. If you're set on the dynavin don't let it being aftermarket hold you back. The functionality really brings the e46 to current standards and that makes the car more valuable IMO.

blindside
06-26-2013, 06:58 PM
I have the eonon d5150 and it's definitely got its drawbacks. Harness wire swap needed and trimming of the included antenna and iPod cables, bugs in OS, crap NAV and CAN bus issues resulting in input swap every start up....but given all this, I'd still buy it over again for the 340 dollars it cost. Bluetooth is a life saver....I was just fed up with fumbling for the phone. That alone made it worth it to me, but the iPod functionality is really good, Bluetooth streaming music and loading iGo 2.4 navigation made it much better. If you're set on the dynavin don't let it being aftermarket hold you back. The functionality really brings the e46 to current standards and that makes the car more valuable IMO.

Thanks for that last sentence, it's putting my mind at ease

BavarianZHP
06-26-2013, 07:02 PM
With eonon, you can always return it no questions asked before 60 days. I did for the 5113 at the cost of shipping, which was $40 (Seattle to HK FedEx). I'm sure dynavin has a similar policy so if you're dying to know it may be worth it.

ryankokesh
06-26-2013, 07:08 PM
Have you considered Dice Mediabridge? Sounds like BT is your big want, so maybe that'd be an option.

illirep
06-26-2013, 07:37 PM
I have the Dynavin D99 and love it. For $699, you can't beat it. I would recommend the factory HVAC relocation bracket though, to maintain that OEM look.

Bill

webster
06-26-2013, 08:53 PM
My opinion, as worthless as it is, is shut up and drive. Your phone call can wait. If it can't, pull over and make the call. Again, just my .02.

I also hate navigation units and any other in-car technology that distracts or detracts from driving.

blindside
06-26-2013, 09:12 PM
Great advice guys! Thanks. But now comes the question... Dynamic or eonon d5150?

blindside
06-26-2013, 09:14 PM
Have you considered Dice Mediabridge? Sounds like BT is your big want, so maybe that'd be an option.

I've gotten reviews of dice just destroying any Bluetooth Audio streaming tho...

blindside
06-26-2013, 09:14 PM
I have the Dynavin D99 and love it. For $699, you can't beat it. I would recommend the factory HVAC relocation bracket though, to maintain that OEM look.

Bill

Bill is the audio streaming clear? I've also heard that the volume seems to be low when bt streaming?

blindside
06-26-2013, 09:17 PM
My opinion, as worthless as it is, is shut up and drive. Your phone call can wait. If it can't, pull over and make the call. Again, just my .02.

I also hate navigation units and any other in-car technology that distracts or detracts from driving.

Haha I understand that but when all I want to my song I spend more time digging for my phone to change the song. My current set up is a oem iPod cable In the glovebox. So If want to change a playlist I need to open the box, unplug the iPhone, change it, plug it back in the just drive.

ryankokesh
06-27-2013, 05:29 AM
I've gotten reviews of dice just destroying any Bluetooth Audio streaming tho...

It's about as good as my dynavin v4 was. Neither is awesome. If you want quality sound, wired is the way to go. I just leave my old iPod in the glovebox, and I'm good to go.

illirep
06-27-2013, 05:40 AM
Bill is the audio streaming clear? I've also heard that the volume seems to be low when bt streaming?

I routed the ipod cable through my Euro center console, so I plug my phone in - crystal clear music playback, and it charges the phone at the same time. I have not tried to play music wirelessly and wasn't aware it was even possible with this unit.

The Bluetooth phone calls are very clear and effective. The only complaint I have, and I've seen others with it as well, is that the ipod navigation menu is a bit archaic. I think everyone is expecting a software update when the new unit is launched (expected winter of 2013 from what I hear).

By the way, I strongly recommend calling Jeff at J&T Distributing if you decide to go Dynavin. You can actually call him and he picks up right away. Versus dealing with Otto Nav or the other Amazon / eBay dealers that have no phone number and atrocious customer service!

ryankokesh
06-27-2013, 06:16 AM
All of that is very true.

blindside
06-27-2013, 07:05 AM
I routed the ipod cable through my Euro center console, so I plug my phone in - crystal clear music playback, and it charges the phone at the same time. I have not tried to play music wirelessly and wasn't aware it was even possible with this unit.

The Bluetooth phone calls are very clear and effective. The only complaint I have, and I've seen others with it as well, is that the ipod navigation menu is a bit archaic. I think everyone is expecting a software update when the new unit is launched (expected winter of 2013 from what I hear).

By the way, I strongly recommend calling Jeff at J&T Distributing if you decide to go Dynavin. You can actually call him and he picks up right away. Versus dealing with Otto Nav or the other Amazon / eBay dealers that have no phone number and atrocious customer service!

Thanks Bill, again great advice im calling him now haha

johnrando
06-27-2013, 07:14 AM

Wow, I was kinda thinking eonon but after this quote, I'm wondering now.

scooby24
06-27-2013, 07:20 AM
Wow, I was kinda thinking eonon but after this quote, I'm wondering now.

If you can get past the install issues. (wire swap, trimming of two cables), the only issues you'll have to deal with is changing the source every time you get in the car, and possible bugs in the OS...

Like I said, I'd do it again simply because of the ridiculously low price (relatively), but if that stuff bothers you...definitely go for the Dynavin instead.

UdubBadger
06-27-2013, 07:22 AM
dynavin D99 V5 here - fantastic with iGoPrimo nav software and WINce version (don't get android). Sound output is improved through stock speakers, even better through BSW or aftermarket. Bluetooth is good, make sure you mount the suppied mic VERY close to your mouth like on the driver side A pillar (OEM mic location doesn't do well). BT streaming is good, not AMAZING but good enough to use (you have to put the unit into phone mode like you are about to make a call). You can't combine streaming playback with nav which sucks but the iPod/aux input is there for you to use as well and quality is top notch. There are a few bugs every now and then but after looking over everything else out there, it's just something you accept if you go this route. Plug and play install is a breeze for even the timid DIY'er. Also a great thing I enjoy is it has the ability to integrate an expanded stereo system later if you choose, RCA and Subwoofer controls and preouts are a huge bonus you usually only get with the big aftermarket swaps like alpine/pioneer/jvc ect...

If you can snag one for $699 I'd say hell of a deal, I paid $8xx for mine a bout 18 months ago.

blindside
06-27-2013, 07:37 AM
dynavin D99 V5 here - fantastic with iGoPrimo nav software and WINce version (don't get android). Sound output is improved through stock speakers, even better through BSW or aftermarket. Bluetooth is good, make sure you mount the suppied mic VERY close to your mouth like on the driver side A pillar (OEM mic location doesn't do well). BT streaming is good, not AMAZING but good enough to use (you have to put the unit into phone mode like you are about to make a call). You can't combine streaming playback with nav which sucks but the iPod/aux input is there for you to use as well and quality is top notch. There are a few bugs every now and then but after looking over everything else out there, it's just something you accept if you go this route. Plug and play install is a breeze for even the timid DIY'er. Also a great thing I enjoy is it has the ability to integrate an expanded stereo system later if you choose, RCA and Subwoofer controls and preouts are a huge bonus you usually only get with the big aftermarket swaps like alpine/pioneer/jvc ect...

If you can snag one for $699 I'd say hell of a deal, I paid $8xx for mine a bout 18 months ago.

Thanks badger good info, I actually just got off the phone with Jeff from j&t dist. And he summed up everything just as you had. He also suggested the WINce version, apparently many of their consumer feedback on the android version is its difficulty to use while driving with out zhp suspension or more so when running coilovers. Honestly if any needs and info from a unbiased source call Jeff and he will tell you the ins and outs without reservation, great guy.

UdubBadger
06-27-2013, 11:10 AM
yeah good thinking, the other vendor which is where I bought from, sucked, couldn't return calls and flat out lied to me about the units capabilities of what could be done, then wouldn't back up his claims after i called back and called them out on it.